Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

MissBehaviour's avatar

Germany Germany

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

This was one of my first fragrances as a little girl and a staple throughout my teenage years. I recently revisited it (at age 30) and have fallen in love with it again. This smells incredibly pretty--a perfect blend of floral and powdery/soapy notes that is neither too sweet nor too green, with fantastic lasting power and a moderate price tag. Its eighties/girly image shouldn't prevent anyone from giving this one a try--it is better in many respects than a lot of pricier fragrances that have been launched in recent years. Will always have a bottle in my collection.

MissBehaviour's avatar

Germany Germany

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

This is an incredibly pleasant, pretty scent with good lasting power and a polite amount of sillage. It also lacks the slightly sour cast that a lot of EL fragrances have (I'm lookin' at you, White Linen). I find it perfect for hot weather and office wear and reach for it generally whenever I need a pretty but low-key fragrance that works well in a lot of social environments. Is this a diva fragrance that will turn heads? No. Its sex-appeal has more to do with flirty femininity than raw allure, but this is what makes it so versatile. Must be tested on the skin--a spray on a test strip won't do it justice as it develops beautifully on warm skin after about 5 minutes. A solid buy and an appropriate choice for many occasions.

Stargazer's avatar

Wales Wales

Moschino pour Homme by Moschino

I was looking for a scent for my husband, and came across this. Changed my mind and bought it for me. It's a fabulous mix of fresh and spicy opening notes, warming down to moss and amber, clean and sexy at the same time. Whenever I've worn in, people ask what the scent is, and it lasts wonderfully well without being intrusive. Since my initial purchase, I relented and bought some for my husband; it seems to smell quite different on him (less floral).

soirdelune's avatar

Private Collection by Estée Lauder

I had a rather extraordinary encounter with this perfume recently. Encouraged to try some 'older' scents (which is a bit of a joke, for someone who wears no. 5 as a staple), I sniffed this one out at my local department store. It was quite an olfactory experience, and one that is rarely encountered with today's rather bland scents.

The top notes hit me like an almighty smack in the face: green, green, green, but humid and jungly like rotting vegetation beneath a shaded tree canopy. Startling, though not altogether revolting. Top notes lingered for a good half hour.

The middle notes were the most interesting, and pleasing part of the fragrance: again, a very vegetal smell, and one that, for a long time, I could not easily place. And then it struck me: cooked quinoa -- yes, that very particular smell of hot, cooked quinoa. Quite comforting, but unusual!

Remarkably, the drydown lingered just a short while, although not before my partner had come home and said (somewhat non-committally), 'Oh, you smell nice.'

An intriguing scent, but -- for me -- one that peaks far too soon.

Oscar39's avatar

Mark Birley for Men by Mark Birley

This is one of the very few fragrances that both my brother and I like (we have radically different tastes, I should point out). Most of the comments made here are entirely accurate: yes, it is not long-lasting and yes it is very citrusy. And yet, for all its shortcomings, Mark Birley is somewhat of an achievement. Understated, sophisticated and distinct, its qualities can be appreciated by men from different backgrounds and used to more or less conventional fragrances. Mark Birley just does the job, and for that it gets my thumbs up.

greengrl's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Ici by Coty

This is way too sweet for my liking. It's like 7 sugars in your coffee when you usually take 2 equals. I gave it a neutral because I did have one girl compliment me on it. If you are a fan of sweet perfumes this is for you but as someone who prefers fresh scents this was just too much. It did have some longevity to it.

Eau Neuve (original) by Lubin

At first all I got was lemon Pine-Sol. The cleaning product impression was strong, yet I didn't mind it too much because of the lemony brightness. Then it eased up within five minutes and the cedar came through, mingling softly with the lemon, and it became very pleasant on my skin. Drydown is soft cedar which didn't last long. Longevity seems to be an issue.

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I get the lapsang souchang from this as well as a clove-heavy chai. Maybe drinking chai beside a mesquite fire? Initially it doesn't come off as sweet on my skin, just smoky. Kind of a tricky scent in my mind because I can't imagine wanting to smell like lapsang, it being a tea that people either love or think stinks to high heaven. Got a bit of that barnyard smell to it. The frag sweetens somewhat in the middle, and cedar comes in fairly noticeably. On the dry down it's all cloves and cedar, softly, with a dash of milk. A unique scent, and in my mind not very spicy despite the presence of cloves. More warm and smoky.

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

I love coming back to this fragrance because the first whiff is an explosion of damp, dark earth, leaves, and the deepest rose I've yet smelled. The initial herbaceousness of this frag makes me sit up and take notice. I didn't expect that. Then the rose takes over and it's a rich rose. I think of a bloodred flower under moonlight. I spray this on and I can't stop smelling my wrist. Powerful and luscious.

Miele Rosa by I Profumi di Firenze

Very sweet, overblown scent that's just too much for me. The honey is very strong, and while I think it's a true honey note, it's paired with a rose that is the same kind of rose in my grandmother's cheap rose hand cream: soft and sickly sweet and just old smelling. This perfume as a whole comes off as something you'd smell at a special event at a retirement home.

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

L'Ombre dans L'Eau by Diptyque

It starts with a very green, very sharp opening, it almost hurts it is that sharp. As you rush to get the supplies to wash it off it mellows a little and the green becomes a nice wet and damp smell and the rose comes out more. It's a very floral perfume with mostly rose that tingles, combined with the wetness and damp greens it smells beautiful but it is a tragic beauty that cries a lot.

Not for me.

Tovah's avatar

Fair Verona by Strange Invisible Perfumes

When I was a kid I got a tiny vial of "Orange Blossom Souvenir Perfume" while on vacation in Florida. The 1/8 oz. bottle came in a cute little wooden orange fruit, and the cap of the bottle served as the stem. At the time, I believed it truly elicited the smell of the blossoms I'd smelled in Florida. I loved this souvenir perfume, and I remember it as having the pure smell of Florida orange blossoms, (in contrast with my perception of California orange blossoms, which only Jo Malone has captured perfectly in fragrance form). On my skin Fair Verona is a scent illustration of orange blossom that immediately evokes my concept of Florida orange blossom. Fair Verona quickly develops into a scent reminiscent of neroli essential oil, which makes me recall that little wooden orange. (There's nothing technical about this comparison, it's purely my olfactory response stimulated by my imagination - there may not be a drop of neroli in this, for all I know). On me, Fair Verona overall, is a soft, smooth neroli (bitter orange tree oil) scent. There's a hint of minty green upon application, but it fades quite quickly and develops into a fragrance that jolted into my memory the little wooden orange I had more than 30 years ago. Fair Verona has a fresh, sparkly opening that morphs into a deeper, oilier scent. Like Tropical Vial, one of the top notes reminds me of Un Jardin Sure le Nil, but this note is fleeting. Fair Verona's notes are listed (on siperfumes.com) as citrus essences from Italy, cardamom, green myrtle, Egyptian jasmine, Sicilian lemon, and bergamot. Fair Verona is a lovely fragrance, and I enjoy it throughly for as long as I can smell it. After about 20 minutes I have to sniff my skin, just to get the faintest whiff of powdery orange oil. It leaves a hint of scent on my skin that gets rejuvenated if I got outside in the heat, and it doesn't wash off easily in the pool or with sweat, but I wish it had a teeny bit of sillage. If this fragrance was as unique, unusual, and compelling as, say Magazine Street, I would spend $135.00 for an edp, and treasure it, but this won't be a purchase for me. If you love orange blossom/citrus/neroli, or you're enamored with Romeo and Juliet, you must try Fair Verona. As with all the ingenious Strange Invisible Perfumes, imagination and personal chemistry are the keys to unlocking their secrets.

Tovah's avatar

Moon Garden by Strange Invisible Perfumes

Toluene is a chemical solvent produced catalytically from crude oil to make high octane gasoline. It can dissolve many substances, such as paint, glue, and rubber. It smells like benzene, whose odor is commonly associated with paint thinners. Toluene was first isolated from Tolu Balsam, which is a natural resin with a complex, warm aroma. The Strange Invisible Perfumes website describes Moon Garden as "luxuriant tuberose, jasmine, and pikake, bejeweled with African resins". After one whiff of Moon Garden, I guessed that the "resins" of the scent description must be Tolu Balsam, because my first thought was, "This smells like gasoline and paint thinner." I had my son sniff it, and he said, "It smells like minty ammonia." My husband said, "I can see why they named it after a garden on the moon..." The title actually refers to night-blooming gardens, redolent with the blossoms of Night Blooming Jasmine, tuberose, pikake, and other white flowers that take advantage of night pollinators. I adore these blossoms, so I was excited about trying Moon Garden. I hoped that, like the infamous but beloved Tuberose Criminelle, or the camphory Carnal Flower, the harsh, jarring topnotes would evolve into an enchanting perfume. Unfortunately, Moon Garden refuses to be what I'd hoped for. Rather than the mystique and romance of a moonlit garden, Moon Garden evokes the time I struggled with a gas pump, and lost. I'd been soaked to the skin, and I couldn't get rid of the acrid odor for days. On a happy note, Moon Garden is one less fragrance for which I have to pay $135.00 for a 1.7 oz. edp. I would love to smell this on a person for whom it works, because I think it can be a fascinating, gorgeous work, if one can make it bloom.

Vanille Passion / Vanille by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

As far as vanilla's go, this one's so-so. What I really smell here is cinnamon with vanilla, and it's sweet, like those cinnamon red-hot candies. Giving a neutral because I can't really think of an occassion when I'd like to smell like this! (Kind of low on the wearability scale!)

Love's True Bluish Light by Ava Luxe

This sensual fragrance begins in a very sweet, vanilla-ish manner ~ seeming at first a bit timid and fleeting...but just give LTBL a little time to mature on your skin and you'll be amazed at her tenacity. I could still clearly smell that gorgeous musk nearly 24 hours after application! It is soft, close wearing and stays fresh too. Comforting. Truly a polite and beautiful fragrance.

Cinéma Festival d'Été by Yves Saint Laurent

This fragrance is without a doubt genetically related to YSL's Elle - released in the same year. The main focus of this fruity floral are notes of peony and jasmine...wearing on the skin as the shy little sister of Elle, who is a bit more bold and outspoken! I'd love to know the perfumer here ~ if I were a gambler, I'd put my money on the same nose/noses that are credited with creating Elle! Cinema Festival d'Ete is a great choice for a lighter type frag, close wearing and fresh!

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

It seems that Comme des Garçons's reputation of "enfant terrible" has reflected positively on itself in the perfume industry.
    This is the second time that the Japanese designer signs its own perfume in collaboration with "Etat Libre D'orange" persumist groupie, the first time that the company designs a scent for another, two other up to come for an UK based brand and formal gossip about collaborate with H&M with a clothing collection and a unisex cologne for the filial.

Hinoki takes its name from the Hinoki cypress, a tree that only grows in Japan and is the preferred wood for building palaces, temples, shrines and the finest wooden soaking baths. It was inspired by a visit to Tawaraya, a famous three-centuries-old traditional Japanese inn located in Kyoto.

Basicly this is a deep rich, woody scent with hints of smoky incenses.
    It has a fab recreation; a deja-vú of steamed, heated, woody environments of saunas and baths actually: there's an asian legendary wooden bath called "hinoki ofuro", in outside open spaces with hot water in chilly locations. To put you in the scene, the closest panorama here in Europe are the famous scandinavian baths in the forest. So, basicly ,this is what's all about; a well constructed representation that captures magnificently the scent of an outdoor wodden bath.

It starts intoxicating: warm woods sorrounded by the resinous tupertine( the gum pine tree) and the odd note of camphor( white waxy resinous with strong medicinal aroma).
    Then just a lovely smoky mix of heady frankincense that blends with sharp notes of thyme, cedar and balanced cold notes of moss.
    There's a shy reminiscence of charcoal going on through it that, for me, could be the key of why this perfume is a well done olfative image of a hot woody sauna.
    It is a great scent for wood lovers.

The longlasting is monster. Up to 10 hours in my skin.

I don't particulary love woody colognes but I have to admmit that this launch is well balanced, creative, nostalgic in a nice way and addictive.
    Give a try.

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

Concerning about the previous fiasco launches of my favourite Japanese perfume branch, I was kind of a "scared soul" regarding of what I was going to get with this new perfume for the male, but I can only say now, after giving it a try, that could be easily, the male version of “Flower by Kenzo”, and I have a feeling that it will become quite successful in the market, asit has been the above mentioned version for the ladies.

We know that Kenzo always has been fond of flowers and that is why he has based his latest fragrance for men on their image. He has envisioned the abstract flower: a wild tulip and the idea of how could smell like, something that he tried with the poppy in "Flower", before.

Power doesn't actually smells massively flowery, as it just has the enough amount of a vague balanced dose of flowery smell that make it appealing.

It start fresh and greenly soft spicy with burst of coriander, cardamom and bergamot, with the synthetic hints of the aldehydes.
    It quickly lays in pieces into a resinous, dark musky balsamic character yet oddly flowery.
    The juice mostly show true colors and goes deep and hypnotic with the presence of the tolu balsam and the violet leaves. In fact all is a reminiscent of a mineral-slightly powdery-salty-ambery-floral scent. Rather unusual for a male perfume. I like it.
    The musk here comes far prominent, could it be easily marked as pungent, a vivid animalistic note accompanied with the labdanum plus a soft note of iris that instantly reminds you “Dior Homme”. I can detect the soft rock rose floating ghostly around in a shy background.
    In the dry down the scent loses the powdery accords and the mineral ambergris is more noticeable, although the whole juice remains dark yet resinous still. I can detect a cola like note (maybe is the freesia note blended with the cedar wood). Highly pleasant.
    The final result is an impressive odd floral fragrance, being rather dark musky, kind animalistic than a clean wood scent that you could spect:
    My impression is a long lasting deja vú of other flower for man colognes. It has hints of the successful “Dior Homme” iris, the “Lèau Bleue” deep-resinous-dark flowery accents, aldehydic notes like "Farhenheit32", the animalistic notes from “Charonge”…

“Kenzo Power”, brings back the excitement of the old time house references, nostalgia of well blended and peculiar previous scents like the original “Kenzo Homme” or “Jungle”, and, at the same time follows the new trendy generation of floral for men.

The long lasting is terrific and it has a distinctive projection.
    A must have for dark scents fans.

Kenzo Peace Vintage Edition by Kenzo

I always respect highly the Kenzo launches beacuse of its originality, the distinctive of its perfumes, but this peculiarities seemed to vanish, nor only in this company, as it looks like it is becoming a shared characteristic in the perfumists, like there's a crisis in the perfumery industry where all the recent launches exhudes lack of originality and they mute themselves into something more bald and mainstream.

Kenzo has decided to celebrate its 20th anniversary launching this fragrance as a reminiscent of the 70's when Kenzo just started his designer career in Paris. The perfume is claimed as unisex.
    It smells subtle and nostalgic hippie, sweet and represents very well the whole marketing image and the color of the bottle. Violet and simple.
    The formulation is centered in the cedar and heliotrope.
    This is another orientated launch for the young public, as the previous fiasco called Tokyo. It’s a soft oriental woody, something like a dreamy material made of weaved milk, wood, and fruits.

Vintage starts fresh with a blast of mandarine and the introduction of the heliotrope.
    The initial life of the scent it's kind of great and distinctive, where the flowery hint remains in the background but is noticiable still.

But after a little while the juice goes rather in a feminine side with the entrance of an oversweet cherry fruity note, that quickly reminds me loads of youth sweet girly perfumes in the market.
    “Vintage” soon claims a prolongs previous olfactory themes as “Amour”, “Summer”, etc…
    Soft powdery textures comes along and as the merges into a creamy wood touch, (tonka bean, cedar and vanilla).
    The flower-power side: a deep, shy purple halo embraces it all in a fantastic cloud like recreation. It really has a patchouli character on it even that note never been mentioned.

The fragrance is marvellous, being kind of nostalgic, innocent but also naughty. I can picture out loads of young consumers using it on play out moments… But I cannot see many men wearing it.
    With “Vintage” the Japanese company makes a clever step bringing to life the first suitable flowery for the men following the actual trend in perfumery, regarding the next step, “Power” the next proper serious flower-based masculine cologne from Kenzo, (a great one in fact), but there is another story...

Long lasting is average. 4 hours and become rather close to skin with not projection what so ever.

English Leather by Dana

The first cologne I ever purchased. I must have a leather fetish and consider this a more basic scent than the sophisticated Knize Ten, the "sumptuous" Creed. It remains a standout, by any measure. Who cares if it is inexpensive and a drug store purchase. I agree it a casual, all around scent that almost everyone likes.

Halston Z-14 by Halston

No, this cologne is not "nostalgia" personified, as suggested by many reviews. I cannot distinguish why fragrances, good or bad, morph with time. They are either good, bad, or in-between, depending on preference. I like Z-14, always have. Granted, a fragrance falls out of favor when worn by everyone, but this no longer applies to Z-14. I love it. Because I have used it frequently over years, it is not the regular in rotation that it was, but when worn, it still brings admiring nods. It has tremendous staying power.

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Simply a classic and truly not "like" any other common fragrance. Purchased long ago, and I keep buying it. It is long lasting, quite sensuous. Do go lightly though!

Ala's avatar

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

This is one of the few fragrances I have found work with my body chemistry.
    I have been wanting to try this for about 15 yrs now, since catching it's scent on one of my clients.
    Somehow I thought it might just be too much like Cinnabar to bother.
    It wasn't.

The most surprising thing I have found about AE is that even tho I am NOT fond of the smell of roses at all....the opening notes of rose are very powdery and don't stay long before morphing to a more clean, yet seductive aura. Mmmmm... I do like it on me ...and so does my hubby.

I do very well with Cinnabar, Obsession, Allure Sensuelle, Black Cashmere, and now Aromatics Elixir.

Thanks, to all of you that take a few moments to review and share your thoughts about fragrances. It sure helps.

I

Alien by Thierry Mugler

What can be more beautiful than a beauty? A well dressed beauty. Alien is a well dressed jasmine, succeed to be more attractive than a nude jasmine. Good work. Must have for jasmine lovers.

Flair by Revlon

I have tried this because it is supposed yo have a black currant note. I am crazy about this black currant note. Ask a few of your normal nosed friends about black currant smell. They will say you "does it smell?" yes it does smell. Not loud not memorable but it has a smell. I think using black currant as a note in a floral or fruity scent is like using a cat's purr as an sound in a symphonic rock song. To make it noticed you have to amplify it billion times. Is a billion times amplified sound is still a cat's purr?
    Any way i am talking empty as i could not get any black currants here either.

Flair? Reminds me Pleasures by Estee Lauder. In fact very much like pleasures. In music, if a song contains a part longer than 8 measures, exactly same with a previous song, musician can be accused of stealing (i do not know what word is used for this act). In perfumery there is no measures. Bad for the designers.
    I can say that it flair has more than eight measures in common with pleasures.

Innocent Illusion by Thierry Mugler

Lemony fresh opening. Becomes sweeter in time. Nothing interesting about it.

Islandwriter's avatar

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

When you have worked all day, really hard, really physical, and you get sweaty and grimey. It's a hot day, and when you get home you get into the shower and let it run on you, washing with your favorite soap, and your hair, too. And then you face up to the spitgot and let a cooler water run on you and you feel and smell fabulous. If you want to get or maintain that wonderful smell, then use this Mugler. It is an amazing clean and just showered scent. In fact, I think the secrect S ingrediant is a 'shower'.

schumi's avatar

Romania Romania

Cool Water by Davidoff

Indeed very similar to Green Irish Tweed. Although I think it's not as complex and smooth as the later, I do find Cool Water a surprisingly high quality scent. I'm a big fan of sandalwood and CW really has one of the best usages of this. Very well balanced, very fresh (it lacks a bit of warmth, though), this is worth every single penny. It's very elegant and classy, a true gentleman's cologne.

schumi's avatar

Romania Romania

Black Sun by Salvador Dali

I was expecting much more form Black Sun... The name seemed to describe a very different fragrance: dark, funeral, introspective. Instead, I get a rather generic scent, a bit similar to Armani Code. Not as complex as I would have wanted it to be, not as dark as it should have been.

pasha's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

A great, warm, well-behaved, classic mens scent that I did, and will continue to, cherish for many years.

I think this is a very warm scent for some reason, though it is not heavy at all. Quite fresh in its opening, it has that mysterious chemical Aldehydes note dominating it. Heavily. Also apparent are some citrus accord, nutmeg, lavender and tea as usual. Tea is what holds all Bulgari scents together, and this one is no exception. It is warm and green, but in a very refreshing way. Its base is also quite masculine, including everything from musk, amber, vetiver, cedar, moss and tonka bean. Now that is pretty ordinary, redundant even, but what makes the scent amazing is all the sets of flower combo in the mid-notes which is nothing short of spectacular. Moving on from the fresh opening, the scent combines tea with many flowers including black currant and orange blossoms, cyclamen, iris and carnations, and spicing the mix with pepper and coriander, and rosewood, perhaps to cut the femininity of the flowers.

The result is quite magnetic. Will work surprisingly well on any weather or climate. The scent is sexy, musky, and dry, but the flowers are all handled so well, that on every skin, they bring out some other rich quality. This is a type of cologne that will remain close to the skin, and will change itself and adapt to your skin chemistry. Though I cannot imagine any type of horrible disaster with anyone skin chemistry since the scent does not include anything offensive.

That's why this fragrance is quite well-behaved. Longevity, unfortunately, leaves much to be desired, though the bottle is incredibly elegant. It is such a gentleman-ly scent. I wish it did not require reapplication quite so often.

10th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 14 August, 2009)