Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

pasha's avatar

Eau de Cologne Impériale by Guerlain

This is not a bad scent at all. It is cologne, so the most you are gonna get out of it is a good 15 minutes before it completely leaves your skin no matter how much you apply. The top notes are every single type of citrus possible: lemon, neroli, lemon verbena, orange and bergamot. And it is quite potent, unbroken splash of Vitamin C hitting your skin, to be sure. And then it very quickly moves to the basenotes, which are tonka bean, a very strong rosemary and a slight note of cedar. Lemon is ever-present though.

I must say, maybe it is the obnoxious modern fragrance consumer in me speaking, though it is in no way disappointing, it is so not ground-breaking. It will not shake you to the core, and 15 minutes is anyways to short to experience any type of strong sensation, especially with notes like these. But normally 15 minutes is long enough for a complete olfactory orgasm if the notes combined are genius, that is for sure. I suppose what makes me feel a little blase to the whole thing is the fact that this scent has the most regal and colossal name in the entire fragrance universe; 'Eau de Cologne Imperial'. That is pretty bold, and one does expect great drama, and challenge in a frag named like that. Stuff like Bulgarian roses, violets, amber notes of some sort: rare and natural ingredients that will make you feel 'regal'. None of those are here in this water-clear scent, in the most gorgeous bottle possible.

In no way I hate this fragrance, but I am a little underwhelmed. Not by its longevity, but its lack of bold character. That being said, if I were a woman, and could carry this gorgeous bottle in my purse anywhere I go to apply every 15 minutes, I most certainly would. By the way, no picture does the bottle any justice. It is perfection: so decadent and delicate looking, it is an ode to beauty. True work of art, but Guerlain always designs a chic bottle, even during the 19th Century!

pasha's avatar

Versace Man by Versace

I cannot even begin to describe how much I love this fragrance. It is by far the only scent that gathered the most amount of compliments from so many people throughout the time I used it. It is simply a masterpiece, and a true gem that resembles no other scent that I experienced.

First things first: yes, it smells synthetic from head to toe like all other Versace scents. But a very, very divine synthetic. I read somewhere that it was created for a 'temperamental man', and that is true. The guy wearing this likes to live life big: big emotions, big loves, big thoughts, big highs, crucial lows. It has a very dramatic feeling to it, very much like an opera character. Yet, there is a very tender and soulful quality to it as well. The top notes include neroli, bergamot and angelica.
    Now that is very ordinary actually, especially for am Italian brand to open notes with citruses, but angelica note sets it apart from any other generic citrus openings. From the get-go, it is sizzling.
    And then you move to heart notes rather quickly which are composed of saffron and cardamom. It is indeed spicy, and maybe that's what makes it really irresistible. And it is very warm, though still quite clean.

What I love about Versace scents are even though they are synthetic and sometimes sweet, they are always very well-thought out. They are like complex equations. They last very long on the skin, but leave a very masculine note at the end that lingers on you until the day is out. And mostly that final note is a rich and suave tobacco, and in the case of Versace Man, the composition is no different. The base is quite amber-y with tobacco, and casmir (an Eastern wood). I also read that labdanum, the flower is also included here, but my nose is not that well-trained.

I must say, as anything Versace, this is a very sexy mix. And a very modern blend. I know people have reservations about being too 'synthetic', but there is 'cheap synthetic', and there is 'clean and suave synthetic'. This falls into the second category. It is not as obnoxious as Dolce&Gabbana Man, or as gender-mixed as Prada Amber Pour Homme. In fact, this has much more amber than the latter one. But these three are successful synthetic scents no matter what anyone says, and Versace Man is the greatest and sexiest, at the same time most sophisticated of all three.

So many compliments, so many good memories.

10th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 07 October, 2009)

SirSlarty's avatar

L'Essence de Déclaration by Cartier

There is a huge presence given off by this scent however it is still subtle. An outstanding dry and woody fragrance. A much darker yet fuller version of the original. Excellent.

SirSlarty's avatar

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Sweet, smoky tobacco. Will whisk you away into a dream world.

Tony T's avatar

Noir by Christian Lacroix

i was let down also but at least it's cheap and inoffensive. very short lived clean and sweet fragrance. maybe it will last longer on your skin. this and black walnut are big letdown's in my book.

shakes's avatar

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

I love this one! The smooth vanilla stays strong all the while and the berries and tobacco mix so well with it! Oh, and the rum...careful where you wear this one...people may think you've been drinking!!

shakes's avatar

Carlos Santana for Men by Carlos Santana

This is by far the best celebrity fragrance I've ever used! I'm not normally into lavender, but it works well here. The spiced apples and woodsy notes are just wonderful! Ladies love this one and it can be worn any time if you don't go overboard with it!

mysolegia's avatar

Portugal Portugal

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Yes it's a man's fragrance but I happen to like it on myself. It lasts forever so I have to remind myself to be careful. I dont know if I can smell any of the notes listed, but I like the amber-y scent this leaves on my clothing.

Black Cashmere by Donna Karan

Too much of everything for me, I'm afraid. Donna Karan's Chaos shared some elements of this (but in Chaos, they were blended with fizzy cola bottles and sparkling lemonade). I bet this will smell exciting on the right person, but for me, it was headache-inducing. (And luckily, Chaos is now being reissued, so I'll wait for that lovely gem to return instead!).

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

I have the miniature and occasionally wear this when sweet or complex scents don't feel right. Pleasures is a good name; it's a comforting, fluffy towel straight from the washing line, it's a civilised glass of juice in a spring garden and it's not offensive, in-your-face, or particularly memorable. It's quite pleasurable, but doesn't have a big personality. I suppose if understated elegance is your thing, Pleasures might be your perfume.

Honeysuckle & Jasmine by Jo Malone

Very, very pretty, but not exquisite - this could work as a scent for a body lotion, room spray or a candle; I'd probably wear this, but there are so many other scents with just that bit more personality to explore, that I probably won't.

Ralph by Ralph Lauren

I don't care who this is aimed at, it's one of my summer staples (and I'm well past 30)! It goes well with a shopping spree, a bit of a walk out on a sunny day or with the kitsch green glass apple earrings I have. Fruity, glass-like transparency with apple chewing gum and cream soda float. That's Ralph.

À la Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

FULL-on, sweet, indolic, potent Jasmine. I love Jasmine, but sometimes too much of a good thing is too much. This is a neutral from me - not because I don't think A la Nuit is beautiful, but because I prefer my Jasmine when blended in with other notes a little more.

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

The part where this is a soapy cologne is GOOD. The part where this shares some elements from Angel is BAD (it's as if he has used the same base - "Muglinnaire?" ) and that really put me off. I am a huge fan of Mugler's Alien, but I'm in the "makes me feel nauseous"-camp for Angel, unfortunately. So it's a resounding NO.

Terre de Bois by Miller Harris

A lemony-herbal boiled sweet dipped in good chypre cologne. It's a wearable, moorish, almost addictive scent, suitable for both men and women (I love how it smells on my husband, but I also adore how it smells on me). Particularly appropriate for summer, but don't restrict yourself - wear whenever you want to be uplifted without having to resort to something eye-wateringly zingy.

Datura Noir by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

First impression: Wow! I almost did a double-take. What just hit that blotter? Was it a cherry lemonade explosion served on a bed of tuberose? Or a marzipan confection with cherry jam and candied tuberose topping? Or some kind of exotic fruit punch mingling with sun tan lotion after a hot day? I had to try this on and boy, I actually really fell in love here. It's definitely rich, definitely sweet, but I enjoyed it so much it almost made me giggle with delight.

Chelsea Flowers by Bond No. 9

I'm a fan of florals, don't get me wrong, but Chelsea Flowers seemed to me like a slightly too "pretty" flower-shop scent, but it just didn't strike me as particularly wearable or amazing. I'm developing a theory that Bond #9 line of fragrances is aimed at people for whom money is no object and the very act of purchasing a scent that's "nice", but not remarkable, but at Bond's prices, is a huge status symbol in the manner of: "Hey, I can afford to pay this much for something that's just plain NICE. How about that?"

Gucci Eau de Parfum II by Gucci

Blackcurrant leaves wear a Gucci suit and handbag. In other words - sophisticated, inoffensive, wearable and fresh, but not a party animal, sexy seductress or a frivolous girl. I own this and wear it for business meetings, travel, etc.

Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris

Peppery, leafy, brown opening (sort of matches the packaging when you come to think of it!) - after which there's at least an hour of a very wearable tobacco/woody scent. Later in the drydown, some overly smoky - verging on the sickly sweet notes emerge (my husband, who is not a perfume connoisseur, but has been exposed to rather a lot of scents over the years, remarked: "Now it smells too... Mediterranean"). However, once that little speed bump on the road passes, it becomes very soft, very sniffable and dare I say quite sexy. It's a thumbs up from me.

Eau de New York by Bond No. 9

A stunning citrus cologne opening, done very well without abrasiveness, a very wearable fresh-chypre scent soon emerges and I kept sniffing myself where I'd sprayed the fragrance, nodding appreciatively and wanting to find just something stunningly unique in there to tip the balance over from "very nice" to "it's worth this much money". Eau de New York is really lovely and I'd wear it, but perhaps not fall-in-love stunning for this price. If I was wealthy and money was no object, I would have bought a bottle with no questions asked. Perhaps that's the point?

EDITED 2009: I recently received a bottle of this as a gift. My chief gripe was that I couldn't justify paying the price for "nice". Now I don't have to... therefore changed from neutral to thumbs up.

10th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 06 August, 2009)

Love In Paris by Nina Ricci

It's a sparkling fruity floral; synthetic, but not abrasive, fresh, but not eye-watering - and on skin, mellows to a very pleasant, very feminine, very wearable scent. I am past being a fragrance snob and if I like something I buy it, regardless of the "image"! I happily wear this on carefree days during summer, or whenever I need cheering up.

Love by Gorilla Perfume [Lush]

Love was created to represent the bittersweet quality of naive young love and of love when it goes a little sour too (although that's not always mentioned in the marketing materials). I think the perfume is an interesting mix of fruit and florals and the sour apple note adds a mouth watering edge to what would otherwise be a very sweet, fairly middle of the road perfume. This is one to try and wear, rather than to sniff from the bottle or on someone else. It can either be fruity and fun, or go a little too sour. Luckily I'm in the first camp and enjoy wearing this when the right mood strikes.

10th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Mandragore by Annick Goutal

Mandragore is a mouth watering, zesty citrus - undercut by a soft, creamy quality - which develops into a very accomplished and well supported fresh ginger fragrance. Very wearable and seems to last for hours (on me at least).

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

I wanted to find a fragrance that accurately captures the smell of dry vanilla pipe tobacco.

Unfortunately, Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille is the smell of wet, almost decomposing tobacco with a bourbon-like alcoholic vanilla note. I found it quite stomach-turning.

Blue Agava and Cacao by Jo Malone

It sounds interesting in theory, but I found the cocoa note dominated and overpowered an otherwise unremarkable blend

Rousse by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Very peculiar: Dr. Pepper with florals, orange and sweat. Not for me.

Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estée Lauder

I'd heard that Harrods stocks the Estee Lauder private collection Tuberose Gardenia, so I went over to sniff that. The sales assistant was entertaining: "I wear this all the time and I swear people lean towards me on the train to sniff me. It's such a lovely perfume; the arabs buy it by the bucketload!". I thought this was a Tuberose done very well - I tried some on my skin (which was a precious commodity reserved for fragrances I might like to buy), but within about 2 minutes, an odd chemical note emerged, which lurked underneath the strong tuberose and felt "wrong" to the point of making the perfume unpleasant to smell by the time it had settled. So, it doesn't suit me. Bummer.

L'Instant Magic by Guerlain

Very feminine, rounded edges, not as sickly sweet as L'instant. It has a fruity opening and dries to a very powdery finish. Average and nothing to write home about, but pleasant and wearable.

Fleurs de Sel by Miller Harris

Fleurs de Sel smells like a very good, aged whisky, which might be very nice for some, but unfortunately I hate the smell of whisky. I think the smoothness and artistry in this fragrance is clear, so I'm going neutral, purely for appreciation purposes.

Aegean by Neil Morris Fragrances

A gorgeous pool boy who wore Kouros yesterday. Very nice men's fragrance - perhaps it could also work on a woman, but my mind is firmly transported to glowing pecks.