Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Zephyr by Neil Morris Fragrances

This, like all the other Neil Morris fragrances, has a curious magic perfume-bubble quality; at first you smell the outside of the bubble, at which point the other notes are hidden and you get an impression of "ah, this is what the fragrance will be like", but then the bubble bursts and all the other notes come gushing forth. In the case of Zephyr, the effect is "the smell you get on your hands after picking wild strawberries", then "fairly synthetic, but very pleasant girly shampoo". I'd recommend this to fans of any of the Ralph fun & fruity scents. I would enjoy this in the summer, or at any time I felt frivolous. I can't help wishing for a more complex base (what would happen if you took some of the base from Gotham and laid it under Zephyr? For instance).

Café by Neil Morris Fragrances

Very accurate patisserie scent; almost exactly like the Crabtree & Evelyn patisserie room fragrance I was recommended to buy for selling my house (apparently if you spray some around, viewers are more likely to buy). I think this is fun, but not a perfume I would wear.

Le Parfum d'Odette by Neil Morris Fragrances

On opening it evokes a blend of Poison and Samsara (without the sickly berry flavoured cough-mixture of Poison). In just a few minutes, it turns into an incredible fragrance! It's sugared Tuberose, blended with alcoholic woods and blackberry & blackcurrant wine gums. Wow. (On drydown there is more than a passing resemblance to Guerlain's Jardins de Bagatelle). Despite the nod towards all these loud perfumes, Le parfum d'Odette manages to be rounded and wearable, but retains the moorish and addictive qualities that the somewhat OTT perfumes often develop into. I will need a whole bottle of this. After wearing Le parfum d'Odette for one day, I kept wanting to go back to it and not test any other perfumes.

Dark Season by Neil Morris Fragrances

Very accurate fir tree sap, blended with mosses and and a general smell of being in a Finnish forest. (I'm from Finland and Neil's description of Dark Season was the clincher for my decision to order samples from him). I tried this on my husband's skin and it felt like a temporary tattoo of a forest scene, rather than a part of him. Very good piece of olfactory storytelling, but I'm not convinced of its wearability as a perfume.

Intimate Lily by Neil Morris Fragrances

A very nicely done, grown-up lily of the valley. The other notes bloom out as the fragrance develops and leave the almost solifleur feeling behind. I had hoped for more prominence from the Casablanca lily, but that's the only disappointing thing about this perfume. I'd definitely recommend this if you like Diorissimo or maybe even if you've once loved Blue Grass on someone else, but want something much less stuffy for yourself.

Gotham by Neil Morris Fragrances

Hippie Labdanum and pals. I like it! The Neil Morris bubble effect I've mentioned in my other reviews for his scents is here too; this time the bubble is sweet and pretty, but when it bursts you're hit with a very strong labdanum supported by well loved suede boots and some joss sticks. Gotham feels comforting and nostalgic for me and I'd wear it very happily (but perhaps not to work).

Midnight Star by Neil Morris Fragrances

Aldehyde galore; unfortunately the very type of ironing-smell aldehydes that give me an instant migraine. I've dubbed this Midnight Migraine.

deux étoiles's avatar

Sarrasins by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Purely from a user's point of view, this is a very wearable scent, enjoyable in its progression and not overly clingy. Makes me feel good to wear it.

Perky and floral at first, a bit green, then dries down to creamy woodiness — actually, more like tree bark than wood somehow

Oscar39's avatar

Spain Spain

4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser by 4711

There is something truly reassuring about 4711. Splash it all over your face and neck and you feel an instant boost of sheer goodness. Yes, it goes quickly. But it is a small price to pay for enjoying the original eau de cologne, as far as I am concerned. I hope 4711 remains in production for a long long time.

By the way, a Thai friend of mine told me that 4711 is used as a deodorizer in the public buses in his country!

Ex'cla.ma'tion by Coty

I am very surprised that I liked this scent. I remeber my sister buying this years ago and me not being a fan of it. Curiousity struck me and I picked up a bottle recently and fell in love with it. It was not at all like I remembered. My friend on the other hand couldn"t stand it, she prefered Charlie instead (yuck!) I was suprised to see that vanilla was not listed as a note. The notes as listed by Coty are :
    Top note: bergamot, sage and neroli
    Middle note: amazon lily, orange flower and jasmine
    base note: sandalwood, musk amber and vetiver palchoul

Vanilla Fields by Coty

Not as sugary sweet as most vanilla scents. For someone who doesn't like sweet fragrances I suprisingly enjoyed this one. There is a subtle sweetness that lingers on your skin when applied. The perfect fragrance for a nice spring day.

Jovan Musk by Jovan

I absolutely love this scent. I am usually not a fan of musk scents but this is a simple, clean fragrance with a beautiful dry down. It almost has a soapy aroma to it but in a nice refreshing way. This is a wonderful fragrance for a warm summer day because it is not a sharp, over-powering scent.

Charlie / Charlie Blue by Revlon

I was not a fan of this fragrance. It was a little over-powering with a bit of a chemical/metal smell. I have smelled this on so many women without knowing they were wearing this scent. It is definitely a scent that is still popular with a lot of women. Please do everyone else a favor and do not over do it if you choose to wear this scent.

Charlie White by Revlon

A nice floral scent. I actually prefer this over the original Charlie. Just as with the original Charlie, a little goes a long way with Charlie White.

Skin Musk / Bonne Bell Skin Musk by Prince Matchabelli

Very suprised that they would have a musk scent targeted at teens. This seemed a bit too grown up for someone in high school. It has a bit of a mild, subdued aroma. I tied the perfume oil and not the body spray and got some great longevity. I don't like to try body sprays because the metal canister distorts the scents. It definitely does not compare to Jovan Musk, but still a very nice and simply fragrance.

Pure Lightness by Adidas

A nice floral, refreshing scent. I wore this one day and received a few compliments and inquiries on it. Perfect for a summer's day. The only downfall is that it does not last very long. I am on the mission to find the best drugstore fragrance and this one is definitely in my top ten.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

This is sooo strange this one...Yes...the rubbery smell etc..which I didn't want to wear on a social night out...I used it just to smell up during the day,or to work.It really started to grow on me...in fact I am going to buy another bottle.The other strange thing was I never had any bad comments about it...in fact no comments at all...until I used my last bit...and off several people...I got " you smell nice!!..." This is something if you want to smell different...get a small bottle or tester....try it...it takes some getting used to...it's distinctive.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Distinctive,pleasant scent.It lasts a long time,and I never get any bad comments about it..well...I prefer people to ask what it is....rather than say..."Oh,Dolce& Gabbana"...so I suppose that could be a negative...but if I see it going for a bargain...I'll grab a bottle...it's nice to wear.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Yuck....heavy and synthetic smelling.An ex boss used to wear it at work...you used to think he was always around,....even if he was nowhere near...(maybe it was deliberate!!!) I tried the "fraiche" version...and it smells just as bad....but Body Kouros isn't too bad.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Yes...I was taken in by all the positive talk of Issey Miyake....yes...I think it's nice...but nothing special...in fact i have gone off it slightly...It's another scent that is instantly recognised,which I think is a bit of a negative thing.I prefer the L'Bleu fraiche

Ostranha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Rush 2 by Gucci

This is one of my favourite scents and one that I have been wearing for many years (used to be something of a signature scent for me). There is something special with it that makes it stand out, which is also in the usual Rush, but this is more beautiful and nice-smelling, partly maybe because of the rose. I do not think it is watery at all. Being very beautiful but at the same time different, it has got everything I need, and I have gotten several compliments for it.

Ostranha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Musk Gazelle by Madini

I was actually disappointed with this one. I like musk a lot and I was expecting something extra. To me, unfortunately it smells mostly of ylang-ylang and the Madini oil "Ambergris", even though something deeper musky-like is going on somewhere, but it is not enough... It is a nice sweet and soft oriental scent, but it didn´t suit me like I thought it was...

pasha's avatar

Youth Dew Amber Nude by Estée Lauder

This is how a woman should smell.

Simply alluring. It is so seductive, rich, layered, and naughty that I cannot believe that some women chose to buy fragrances like Angel or some other hateful scent instead of this masterpiece. It has everything Youth Dew has in it, but it is so more modern. Luminous and transparent. It is warm and unmistakably feminine. Yet with Tom Ford's Midas touch, both the perception and formula that this perfume had been based on have been altered for the better. I think this edition is the proof that a great scent, in its purity and basic combination, is indeed timeless, and the original Youth Dew is that timeless classic. Like a decadent Dior or Chanel look: it can always be modified into the new times without losing its original soul or merit.

Youth Dew Amber Nude opens with ginger, cinnamon, magnolia, tea, and grapefruit. The ginger and cinnamon are not too heavy, so don't worry, you don;t end up smelling like a candy bar. Yet this is unmistakably feminine and the opening, in no way, apologizing for its character. Then the scent moves to heavy floral accords as carnations, roses, ylang-ylang and heavy jasmine. Jasmine is overpowering I suppose, but this is not a 'white' scent, nor sticky as many jasmine scents end up being. I suppose the mid-notes do have something in common with Guerlain Samsara due to the jasmine-rose duo, but this is so much lighter than Samsara.

To break things to a more sensible ground, the scents seals the deal with sandalwood, patchouli, amber, and a little bit vetiver. What you end up with after many hours of wearing (longevity is impressive) a rich amber-y aura with pretty flowers. It is sensual, soft and uplifting, to say the least.

Estee Lauder is a very estrogen-driven company. There is nothing male about it. I don't even remember testing a mens scent from Estee ever, let alone buying one. Even though this partnership with Tom Ford has been clever on their part, it was such a marketing ploy, it wasn't even amusing how transparent the actions of the company were. I am sure they have sold many bottles of Youth Dew Amber Nude since its launch... and why shouldn't they? It is a top-notch juice like I said. However, I wish the company could be perceptive enough to release a masculine version of this scent, because it should be relatively easy to create a cutting edge, yet comfortable scent based on these accords for men as well.

I would wear this perfume, but I would not feel comfortable in it, since it is unforgivably feminine. That being said, a great masculine version of this scent is long-overdue, and it could be a great venture for Estee to galvanize sales on their mens department, which I assume must be quite dismal.

10th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 13 April, 2011)

kbe's avatar

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Take a fresh and ripe lemon peel and bent it to release the intense spray of essential oils from the skin. That is the citrus fireworks opening notes of Eau Sauvage bring to my mind.

This superb beginning quiets down rapidly and evolves languidly into a less explosive but still rich mixtue of citrus, patchouli, caraway and much more. Definitely a fragrance for those who cut their own path and would never leave a trail of fluff in their wake

10th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2013)

JaimeB's avatar

Charmes et Feuilles by Different Company

A very nice blend of herbs and jasmine together with the deep, woody note of patchouli. This is very, very green — deeply and intensely so. The herb bouquet is splendid, especially with the citrus notes. The choice of the somewhat woody-camphoraceous Arabian (or night-blooming) jasmine (Jasminum sambac) for the floral note in this scent is also particularly suited for use with the sharp herbal notes, because this species of jasmine is also spicier, muskier, and more penetrating than either Jasminum officinale or the grandiflorum varieties. The drydown with patchouli in the base also marries well with that standout floral note, and when it mellows, it smooths out beautifully. This is a definite keeper.

renperd's avatar

South Africa South Africa

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

This is right up my alley: great heavy butch bottle, good spray mechanism, high quality juice, good longevity and sillage, doesn't get cloying and too caramel like A*Men, unique enough, positive feedback, etc. And the price is very attractive at the moment. I don't know why it's not more popular. Oh, a caveat (rare coming from me): be very careful not to OD on this one - it will spoil things a bit. Quite a bit.

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

Datura Noir by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Not as sweet as I'd expect from something with coconut notes, but it's better for that. There's a very definite bitter almond note to start with, among the slightly tropical, slightly fruity, slightly white floral composition. That makes it sound a mish mash and it's not. It's very good and rather unusual. I understand the bitter almond - as well as cutting any sweetness it gives a suspicion of something poisonous. Clever. I like that in a perfume.

Sadly, it doesn't last very long on me. After just a couple of hours I'm now down to a very faint slightly doughy, slightly coconutty, still not sweet skin scent. Not full bottle worthy for me, but I'll enjoy using up the sample and might get a decant one day.

purplebird7's avatar

Dune by Christian Dior

Salty, fruity, dusty, honeyed amber. There is a light, fruity note which is mildly peachy. The florals are quite spicy. And underneath it all is a woody, incensey note that gives it a dry powdey feeling. The overall effect is sweet and salty, quite Eastern. (I have some Madini Sahara that smells similar, whose listed notes are bergamot, amber, and myrrh. The Dior fragrance is more feminine and subtle.) Dune is unusual, unique, and fun.

purplebird7's avatar

Sensuous by Estée Lauder

I've got to give Estee Lauder credit for introducing a perfume that does not smell like anything typically from its line. Not that I don't like EL; I do. Some of its fragrances are among my favorites--such as my all-time woody, honeyed rose, Knowing, plus the long-lived spicy Youth Dew and green, floral, ambered Private Collection. Sensuous is a radical departure from these, as well as from the bright, soapy notes of White Linen or the clean florals of Pleasures. Sensuous is decidedly modern and spare. With fanciful notes like "molten woods" I am unable to analyze the aroma within the parameters of the traditional pyramid. Instead, I will say that it is a juxtaposition of woody, unsweet black pepper on top of a sweet, rich, fruity caramel. Together, they create an enjoyable accord but, personally, I am tired of black pepper in perfume. It seems to pop up everywhere, tempering overly sweet notes. I'll give this a neutral until further notice.

TaoLady's avatar

Alien by Thierry Mugler

Ever late to the party I have only just now tried Alien - without expectations of anything. I'm still trying to get a fix on Angel and what all the fuss is about....but back to Alien. The first few seconds after the first spritz were chemically alarming - one jumped back from one's own wrist.

But then! Warm and subtle jasmine with a slightly greenish metallic something hovering around the edges. Its underpinnings are ambery woods and the overall effect is somewhat "alien" and mysterious. I'm a jas-maniac and tis is going to have to join the harem.