Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Extract of West Indian Limes by Geo F Trumper

Limes! That’s it, just limes. They are green, zesty-fresh, natural. This is a wonderful, refreshing tonic splash. It is very short-lived, and that is to be expected. Citrus oils are (by nature) volatile and brief, and this scent doesn’t have any base notes which would prolong or develop. In other words, it is what it is. Splash it on and enjoy the brief experience. Half an hour later do it again, or put something else on – it will layer with anything. Indeed, ‘layer’ is an over-statement. In a half-hour, you just have your skin (but nice-smelling).

Eau de Cologne by Geo F Trumper

Neroli, lemon, bergamot, rosemary.
    This is a lovely scent, in the typical and classic Cologne style (namely fresh citrus). The distinctive feature here is a gorgeous neroli note which gives depth. No surprises here – if you know R&G’s Extra Vielle or Dior’s Eau Sauvage then you get the picture. This sort of scent is suave, classy, and has rightfully been popular for centuries. The longevity is good for a citrus scent.

Sutra Ylang by Bois 1920

Top: lemon, bergamot, cardamom, laurel
    Mid: rose, jasmine, violet, lily of the valley, carnation
    Base: sandalwood, cedarwood, moss, benzoin.
    Sutra Ylang is a distinctive scent! I find that violet dominates (leaves + blossoms). This combination is brisk and piercing, yet also flowery and powdery. In my opinion violet is an acquired taste. I find that I now can appreciate it; formerly I didn’t understand it nor like it. Sutra Ylang has a good opening. There is citrus, spice, and a fine green note from the laurel. I appreciate the latter. Lovely florals (rose, jasmine, lily of the valley) are set against the restrained yet powerful violet. The effect is haunting and memorable. In the dry-down; the citrus persists (unusual!), the wood gets tangy, and eventually the violet and benzoin combine in a powdery-sweet sustained note. I lose interest in the later stages of the dry-down, but up ‘til then I enjoyed this.

Zafferano by Odori

Italian saffron, raspberry flowers, wild rose petals, Moroccan jasmine, lily of the valley, rosewood, golden oriental amber… (and oud?)
    Zafferano was quite a surprise. I was expecting a dusky-woody scent, from the combination of saffron and woods. What I got was an oud-like blast of considerable proportions! Oud is not listed as an element, and some have speculated that the saffron has been done in an “iodized” style. Perhaps. Or perhaps oud is a mystery element. Whatever the explanation – be ready for the quirky, tangy-pungent, bug-spray qualities of oud. The opening is spicy and earthy, with a bit of sweet hay (from the saffron). But quickly there are perky, rubbery notes hovering in the background. These almost seem like a green fern-moss note. As far as florals go, jasmine seems to dominate, rather than rose. The cedar is done in a bright, medicinal style (rather than woody). This is a very bright, almost astringent scent. At times it reminds me of Arlington by Harris. A lean sort of oriental scent – if that classification is appropriate. The amber is very light, like a tangy yet restrained patchouli. The drydown is acidic and unusual. Bottom line: this is such a different sort of scent that each person should try it and see how it works on his/her own skin. On me, something like oud was the major element.

Oaksbluff's avatar

Rose Poivrée by The Different Company

sweaty cumin wearing a dying rose boutonniere drinking a Midori melonball with a celery stalk.

Oaksbluff's avatar

Magnolia Romana by Eau d'Italie

Bertrand Duchaufour might be my favorite perfumer working currently. His other scents in the eau d'Italie line are all equal masterpieces, and Dzongkha alone would put him into the panoply of geniuses at work today. His natural language seems to use the smoke, woods, darker smells... Magnolia Romana was one I looked forward to greatly.

First off, it is very white, clean, clear... I don't register anything terribly earthy in the beginning stages. At this point, it actually reminds me of Puro Lino. From there to the musk I have to admit I don't get any aquatic accords (as far as I'm concerned, not a bad thing AT ALL). It basically travels from white floral, exquisitely rendered I might add, to lightly wooded light musk.

Would I buy this? Perhaps wanting to own everything Duchaufour has ever made, sure. Not so sure if it is going to usurp the desired spot for white floral that Puro Lino currently occupies in my wish list. It's definitely worth a try though, that much I'll say.

Velique by Body Shop

It is creamy clean that reminds me nivea cream scent. Nivea cream is an fellow beginning from my child hood and the scent always peaceful. thumbs up for sake of it.

Amorito by Body Shop

Caramel crunch with almonds over the chocolate cream cake. Yummy... Simple and nice like the others in this line. But my favorite is the zestini, which is a fresh lemon and mango. I have a mini set of them. Their poor silage and longevity, together with their colorful plastic mini bottles make me think them as a part of a barbie set. I think i will give them as gifts to some little girls of my friends.

Aztique by Body Shop

Aquatic bananas and melon. Somehow simple and flat like car scents or way erasers smell. No base notes. No base as it faints in five minutes.

Chymara by Body Shop

Pineapple, mandarin with a pinch of rose. when it heats up i got woods more than amber or musk. And a side product note, may be pralin makes this effect but i got barely smell of wet cake there. You mix the cake and if you smell it before putting into oven you got that wet sugary starchy aroma. Nice and young.

Rougeberry by Body Shop

Rasperry tangerine opening is good work. So does the violet vanilla fade down. But all these body shop scents seem like Barbie things to me. they are part of game and not real. Though this one is a better design than i cannot get out of this feeling.

sniffman's avatar

Revillon pour Homme by Révillon

It shares an affinity with Alain Delon (his first cologne for men in 1980). Delon must have gotten his inspiration from this scent. A shame they discontinued both scents.

Calypso Violette by Calypso Christiane Celle

I am wearing Violette today. It's a very rainy day here, and my first thought upon waking was, "Violette!" I went on a very heavy Violet kick about a year ago, and after trying about 15 different violet perfumes, my three favorites were Aroma M's Geisha Violet (which layers very nicely with Calypso BTW), Calypso Violette, and L'Artisan Verte Violette. This is not a powdery violet. It is one of the darkest violet scents I have tried, and it really works on my skin. After wearing both Verte Violette and Calypso Violette for the last year, the only differences I can tell are the following: Calypso lasts longer and is a bit more syrupy, and Verte Violette is lighter and has a hay note. I love them both, but if I had to choose (for my money), I would choose Calypso. :) Beautiful stuff.

Genie du Bois by Keiko Mecheri

This is one of my favorite perfumes. If you enjoy violets and cedar, you would most likely enjoy this. I love it because when I apply it, it smells like Violets and Cedar...5 hours later it smells like violets and cedar...I love it. I don't like powdery scents, and many violet perfumes seem powdery to me, this one does not, and I like that. BTW, Luckyscent lists different notes in this perfume - Violet, Cedar and exotic woods. BN's listing is correct, I just thought that was interesting! :)

Eau d'Iris by Heeley

I hope this is the same perfume...my bottle says Iris Nuit. I love this perfume! Notes from Luckyscent: White cedar, grey amber, iris, angelica seeds, ambrette. To me, this perfume smells a bit like Olivier Durbano's Amethyst (IMO), but much lighter, and not smokey. The iris smells amazing, and the drydown is heavenly - cedar and ambrette...I think it's delicious. I do wish it lasted a bit longer on my skin, though - I tend to get about 3-4 hours out of it before I need to reapply.

Amethyst by Olivier Durbano

Amethyst is a delicious heavy wood/incense/smoky scent. I don't know anyone else that wears it, and I wear it on cool autumn days when I want to be alone in the forest. It makes me feel like I blend in with my surroundings. It smelled amazing on one of my male friends, and I think all three Olivier Durbano scents would work equally as well on men in general. There is a slight grapey/raspberry top note that is absolutely delicious, and the drydown is smoky, woody, and lovely. Notes (from Luckyscent): bergamot, pepper, grape, raspberry, incense, palisander wood, jasmine, orris, vegetable amber, sandalwood, musk, vanilla. Yum.

Rock Crystal by Olivier Durbano

I love all three Olivier Durbano perfumes. They are truly works of art, and as beautiful (IMHO) as the stones that share the names. Rock Crystal is the lightest of the three, and I wish I could describe what it smells like to me other than ethereal, smoky and sacred. I am under the impression that these would work better on men...although they are listed as women's perfume. I would love to own all three, but I only purchased a FB of Amethyst. These creations sparkle, and when they begin to fade, they fade into wonderful skin scents that smell heavenly. I am a huge fan of wood/incense scents, and this is one of my favorites. They are unique, and last for hours on me.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

I have a problem with classic scents, in general. To me, they all seem to follow a recipe that has been proved to be safe. No major innovation, nothing really new, nothing original or earthshaking. I have to admit though, that they smell pretty good. But again, it's a recipe, and when it comes to fragrances, I don't find this approach very salutary.
    Eau Sauvage... another classic scent, but a very good one. It starts off very loud, very sharp (too sharp IMO)... it's like blades going through your nose. But once you get pass the first minute or two, it becomes bearable. The citrus notes are on the center stage, so the fragrance remains fresh and invigorating even after about an hour. Then it gets a bit warmer and smoother... now it really becomes great. The drydown is somewhat similar to Armani pour Homme: elegant, comfortable, with warm citrus giving it a classy allure.

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Designed for a rebels & mavericks. Very red, especially during the mid-notes. Also goes well with a red convertible on the streets of L.A. The drydown gets a bit greener, but remains smooth and pleasant. A macho scent, for sure.

Vetiver by Guerlain

Another classical uber-green fragrance. The opening is pretty sharp and herbaceous, but then it softens down and becomes a bit smoother (but just a bit). This is a big minus for me, as I don’t necessarily like these sharp, untamed fragrances. Another huge minus is that I don’t think it has anything really special, anything unique, anything unusual. It follows a recipe that has been proved to be safe. Apparently, people like this kind of fragrances, so why change anything? Don’t take any chances, don’t try anything new… I don’t like this approach. But, considering the year in which this fragrance was launched, I guess I could agree that this may be the “original recipe”.
    Undoubtedly, Vetiver has some very good parts too… it’s definitely a high quality and elegant fragrance. It goes perfectly with a crisp suit and tie. It’s a dandy, for sure.

11th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 November, 2009)

Aysu's avatar

Flower by Cynthia Rowley

This is a very lovely floral fragrance, sweet, floral, musky at the end, all notes are composed very nicely, it lifts my mood up when I wear and I find it a little similar to Jil Sander/Sun, but more floral than that.. Staying power is very good as well.

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake

I hope never to have to smell this chemical toilet-cleaner mess ever again. Yes it's clean and watery, sure. But the melon-cucumber-horror! The grating fresh-accord! Thank god this trend is over, give me fifty strawberry-praline-chocolate disasters before this nastiness strikes my nose again.

dpak's avatar

Weekend for Men by Burberry

Take cKone, tone down the citrus a bit (so it's not quite as neon), add a dash of fresh soap and tea (perhaps that's the ivy) and a hint of honey to balance the soap. Very nice stuff - good for casual or work. It's a shame it doesn't last three hours, though, hence the neutral rating.

DNA for Men (original) by Bijan

One of the ugliest aromatic spicy scent I've ever smelled. There's a sickening note right there in the beginning, oh my it's the lavender! I like lavender but... And the lavender dries down into an even uglier oakmoss and patchouli coupled with a horrifying sweet note. Not only does this smell like a million others like it but it's somehow worse.

Halston 101 by Halston

Definite pine, cedar and sage notes right from the beginning. The heart of pine remains until it's last steps into a cedarwood musk. Reading the notes and smelling it it seems that this was supposed to be a contender for Polo. Polo is a nicer, crisper green and pine while 101 is much sweeter and on the outer fringes of a chypre. Almost smells like there's tea or tobacco in this. Those two notes usually confuse me.

Nightflight by Joop!

Fresh and fruity indeed. Has the sweet "Joop!" sandalwood accord and is very strong like all Joop! fragrances. One spritz and you're set for the day. A stronger, sweeter in the style of Cool Water.

11th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 December, 2009)

Cool Water Frozen by Davidoff

Exactly like the original except for two major, major differences: 1. it's fresher and 2. it's texture is radically different in that Cool Water feels like a liquid while Frozen feels more rigid. Still good stuff.

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

Bulgari must like tea. It's ALL I ever get from their scents. So far, this one is at least nice smelling and doesn't kill my nose with pepper (like Bulgari pour Homme). Alas, it smells like paper with some tea spilled on it. And, yes, I did try this on my skin and not from a card!....kinda meh.

cagatay's avatar

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

meraviglioso !!! sicilian lemon is wonderful...like a travelling in the village near mediterrian.. u can choose allure homme sport but i like this fragrance..maybe i like this parfume bcs of a lemon ; lemon is dominant in it.i can feel the ginger and white musk but anothers not..i search for brazilian tonka but i cant get it maybe my nose is bad...

Jemimagold's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Guerrilla 2 by Comme des Garçons

Guerilla 2 is a quirky little fragrance that I liked right off the bat but then, I tend to enjoy off-beat perfumes such as Escentric Molecules Escentric 01 and CdG Peppermint.

It is hard to say definitively what Guerilla 2 smells like and heaven knows, the name is no help. However, from this I get a fresh green/slightly citrus fragrance that has a touch of ginger and musk. As it dries down, a warm yet delicate vetiver note emerges. Guerilla 2 is truly a unisex fragrance, appealing to both men and women.

Here are the notes for Guerilla 2: bergamot, pink pepper,ginger, red pepper, curcuma, raspberry, tuberose, vetiver, cedarwood, and musk.