Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Jemimagold's avatar

mb01 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

Biehl's MB 01 is hands down one of the most beautiful floral perfumes I have ever smelled. It has Mark Buxton's signture light touch and is smell-able only if you get close to the skin which I think makes it a very alluring fragrance. MB 01 is so well blended that it is hard to isolate a particular floral note but I can detect a generous helping of white musk which becomes the dominant note in the drydown, and softens and enhances the fragrance. It should also be said that MB 01 is a "warm" floral in the style of Serge Lutens "Un Lys", but in contrast to a "cold" (but equally beautiful) floral such as Frederic Malle's Lys Mediterranee.

Here are the notes, courtesy of The Perfumed Court: jasmine, tuberose, champaca, gardenia, ambergris, musk and sandalwood.

Kaern's avatar

Présence by Montblanc

I have returned to this fragrance again after purchasing a bottle when it was first launched. I really liked it then and thought it was somewhat unusual with all the spices thrown in along with the sweetness. Not so keen now that I have tried very many others -- it seems a bit simplistic. The musky drydown is very nice though. Would have thumbed up seven years ago, but can't really now.

Lauder for Men by Estée Lauder

Lauder for Men is one of two Lauder fragrances I can wear without wanting to barf. Though I have a love-hate relationship with this scent, I do keep it around for those days I want to be above the "boys": it echos class from a bygone era when three-martini lunches were the norm and travel was by train or ocean-liner. I'm not crazy about the murky dry down Lauder has with my chemistry--watered-down mossy/lemon smell--but my female co-workers literally squeal with delight when I wear this.

Pleasures for Men by Estée Lauder

Wouldn't wear this filth if paid. Smells like citrus in the last stages of decomposistion; for the life of me I cannot figure out why women love this garbage. I'll stick w/ Intuition or Lauder for men when it comes to Estee Lauder scents.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Every girlfriend I've ever had has either kept her nose close to my collar or bought a bottle for me when it comes to Burberry London for Men. While obnoxious when first applied, and victim of an ugly dry-down w/ my chemistry, the end result is a head turner: understated, sweet, with some leather/tobacco. The first time I wore this downtown a girl (who was sober) came up and bit me on the neck because she liked it so much. The next day she brough her fiance to my counter and bought him a bottle. Can't wait for the cooler months so I can start wearing this stuff again! The rest of Burberry's line doesn't hold a candle to this stuff!

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

I wanted so much to love you because of that black-tea and cinnamon sensation that sold me at first sniff...but the musk made it impossible and you went back the very next day.

Tony T's avatar

Mackie for Men by Bob Mackie

undeveloping 90's typical lavender scent. very boring and green. not much else to say.

EastonBMW's avatar

Paradise for Men by Alfred Sung

I bought this cologne for $15 at TJ Maxx. When I sprayed it for the first time, it smelled very complex and tropical out of the bottle. After about 20 minutes, it had a citrusy and slightly spicey smell. 10 minutes later, it was almost unnoticeable. This is an interesting mix of sweet, sour and spicey smells and it smells very complex for a cologne that is so inexpensive.

It seems that everyone agrees that the longevity of the cologne is something that could be worked on. It would be good for a summer scent but I don't really get the guava note as much as the grapefruit. I almost can get a hint of lime out of it as well. The patchouli notes and muskiness is a secondary note and gives the cologne a manly scent for a citrusy summer cologne.

I can't complain for the price, but because of the longevity, I would go with a Versace Green or Diesel Green or even a Royal Lyme. This cologne isn't one that will stay in my collection because of the longevity.

Zilpha's avatar

Givenchy III by Givenchy

On me it always smelled like smoke.

Oscar39's avatar

Spain Spain

Vetiver Eau Glacée by Guerlain

A truly accomplished and quintessentially French vetiver that does not disappoint. I do not consider this fragrance wearable on an everyday basis, but it can certainly spice up a party or a night at the theatre. I was told that this is a favourite of king Juan Carlos of Spain and it is not difficult to see why. A winner.

Oscar39's avatar

Spain Spain

Original Vetiver by Creed

Sheer class with a hefty price tag. One of the best vetivers I have ever smelt and definitely much better than most of the competition. Creed's achievement should be praised, given the many disappointments one often encounters in the 'vetiver' range. Will stay a classic for many years and outlive this humble reviewer.

Zhara8's avatar

Sung by Alfred Sung

A favorite 20 years ago when I was much much younger. At the time, Obsession, Misha and Maxim's were my fall and winter scents - Sung and YSL Paris ruled over summer and Spring. As others on here have written, it now seems to fail for us more mature types.

I remember it having such a cooling effect on me, and the muget was almost all I noticed. I specifically thought of it as a "cold, pale purple" scent, despite it's crisp black and white packaging and nearly clear juice. Perhaps that was the orris?

"Ah yes, white flowers." my mother said approvingly. So, perhaps her words influenced my olfactory perceptions. In any case, I took a spritz again recently, after at least a decade without it, and found Sung now to be so artificial and loud, with only a vague ghost of the cooling, feminine joy that I remembered it providing.

Now, can someone tell me if I'm simply off my rocker, or does Sung have some noticeable similarity to MPG's Jardin Blanc? (with J.B. being the far more complex and more natural-smelling of the two)

Zhara8's avatar

Oriental Lumpur by Les Néréides

So many times when I've opened my spice chest to cook, lifting the lid and getting a heady rush of the accumulated powders, seeds and dried herbs inside, I've said to myself "if only I could capture *this* exact scent."

Oriental Lumpur has done that exactly. Don't believe me? Come to my house, we'll go to the kitchen and you can have a whiff.

Curry is of course not one spice but a generic tag for all kinds of spice mixes from the Subcontinent - and Oriental Lumpur is it's own unique curry (or balti, actually. Yes, I'd say it's a nice, zesty balti).

Now here's the truly artful part: not one of those spices overpowers any of the others. Perfect balance. I've read repeated reviews of Kingdom that talk of nothing but the cumin, or complaints that Piment Brulant is nothing but a bell pepper. Definitely not the case here, the blend is the thing. Ginger, turmeric, coriander, cardamom, galangal, a hint of saffron and several others. In the middle there is the tiniest hint of clean soapy sweetness - just enough to bring back the perfect childhood memories of cooking lessons from my father - clean dish towels, fresh washed hands, and lots and lots of spices.

This is such a keeper - and I fear terribly that it will be discontinued for lack of sufficient market. Until then, I horde.

Ostranha's avatar

Secret Wish by Anna Sui

It is fresh, but still it has got a special twist to it, somewhat of the twist that I experience smelling DKNY. Not the same smell but the same kind of twist. Sometimes I smell a note that reminds me of my old wollen jumper, or maybe it smells something like tagetes, I´m not sure.
    It DOES actually smell a little bit like D&G Light Blue, and even if I agree that Light Blue is a better version of that smell, Secret wish doesn´t get as overwhelming and sticky sweet as Light blue. I´ve had both kinds of reactions on this scent. One ex-boyfriend did not like it at all, he thought it smelled "un-nicely", but my present boyfriend reacted spontaneously; "Wow! this is good!".

I DO like this scent, but I only use it now and then when I´m in the mood.

simon curtis's avatar

Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

A classic fragrance, having worn it at college in the early 1990s, popular with the ladies.

jasonjason123's avatar

Bahamas Bahamas

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

To me, this fragrance smells like vagina. I'm not talking about the mysterious lady parts. I'm talking about the ancient vagina flower of the Bahamas. It has the very fragrant aroma of fine diamonds and tonka bean. This is not my kind of scent. I actually prefer the smell of mysterious lady part vaginas to this fragrance.

Bigsly's avatar

Gotham by Neil Morris Fragrances

Well, I've done a turnaround on this one. I does smell like Ysatis but this one seems lighter, brighter, and sweeter, making it bearable. After a while, it is actually enjoyable. It does not possess the complexity or dynamism of the great fragrances, but otherwise it's not flawed. For those who don't like "musty" fragrances, I suggest not even bothering to sample this. This is a weird one, in terms of when one might wear it in public, but I don't take that into consideration when I decide upon a fragrances rating.

My old review of August, 2008: To me, this has an "old lady" perfume quality to it. It reminds me of my Mom's perfume, Ysatis, when I smelled it as a boy. It would certainly nauseate me if I gave it a "full wearing." I sprayed once, just above the ankle, and that was too much! If I'm going to look for something like this, I'll reach for Habit Rouge EDC instead. This is a definite try-before-you-buy fragrance. I have to give it a negative because there was nothing I found pleasing or interesting about it.

11th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 14th May, 2011)

CoL's avatar

In Black by J del Pozo

Does anyone else get a strong sense of TF Black Orchid from this? Mainly the top notes but it does settle into something similar if more "mainstream".

Amazing stuff! At a tenth of the price of Black Orchid too!

CoL's avatar

In White by J del Pozo

Wonderful stuff! Very unisex to my nose and reminds me a little of Verscae White Jeans! I'm hoping that my brain isnt finding this comparison just because of the name ;o) Lovely stuff!

iMaverick's avatar

David Yurman Eau de Parfum by David Yurman

There is something in this scent that just throws me off. I don't think it's in the top notes, but to me it smells like muguet, but then again it could be a combination of Water Lily and Peony, although I do like Peony...so does it mean it's the Water Lily? After a half hour it does settle and it does smell a bit better, but no doubt it smells like what people consider a modern chypre. The scent is not meant to be cute, but somewhat refined and sophisticated a-a-and I suppose elegant. I wanted to use the word "tasteful", but really it's not my kind of scent I could really get into and appreciate. On another point of view, maybe it's just my skin lacking something that doesn't meld well with this type of scent. The basenotes are rather quiet and supporting but doesn't assert itself in the end. I'd like to say this kinda like has an 80s vibe to it. Good direction I suppose, but doesn't hit the mark.

JaimeB's avatar

Nemo by Cacharel

A charming, soft, yet spicy woody-oriental. The distinctive top note is probably mostly the result of combining lavender and betel pepper. The florals in the heart note (geranium, jasmine, and carnation) are sharpened by thyme and enriched by labdanum (an ambery resinoid). The base note anchors all these in cedar, patchouli, vanilla and a touch of leather. The overall impression is somewhat soft, but stimulating and uplifting, which is largely due to the spicy and woody notes. Having said that, it should be added that the floral notes provide a a captivating romantic aspect to the fragrance as well. Great in all weathers, this could be a work fragrance or something to brighten a casual evening engagement. It deserves high marks for its suave, self-assured, warm, and sprightly character.

renperd's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

This Bal has been sending my olfactory bulb into a flat spin ever since I first sprayed it from a blind bought 100ml bottle. It pushes me away, draws me back closer, leaves me cold, makes me sniff my arm again and again. I want to like it so badly, and sometimes I do, but in the end it's just too damn dry. Interesting with the civet, flowers, sandalwood and all, but dry as bone. Perhaps I'll try it one more time tomorrow.

Tovah's avatar

Pure White Linen by Estée Lauder

Pure White Linen is a very, very light scent that briefly calls to mind the classic White Linen, and then disappears. My skin simply cannot hold onto this stuff, which is faint to begin with. It's fresh and pretty. I don't smell any citrus or sweetness. With all the notes listed I thought it may be complex, but to me it's pure "air notes". It's been very hot here, so maybe this will be better in cooler weather.

Vetyver by L'Occitane

Out of all of L'Occitane's masculine scents, this one was the winner for me. A beautifully uncompromising, dark and smoky and rooty, vetiver.

Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

I really enjoy the opening: warm spicy woods, mmm... Unfortunately, the drydown is way too sweet, after an hour or less, all that remains is a nondescript synthetic sweetness. Too bad!

Vierges & Toreros by Etat Libre d'Orange

Vierges et Toreros smells like dust and sand: mineralic, dry, hot, monolinear and a bit harsh. And that's it.

Dark Season by Neil Morris Fragrances

Um, yeah, it smells a bit evergreeny...

Earthtones #1 - Dark Earth by Neil Morris Fragrances

Um, yeah, it smells a bit earthy...

tvlampboy's avatar

BalMan by Pierre Balmain

Strong notes of fruit and anise over an even stronger tonka base. The sweet plum note is a bit disconcerting in the opening, granted, but it (fortunately) dries down to a warm and spicy note before too long.

Fans of both LeMâle and Catalyst should find some common ground here, as should (as Blue_Jay pointed out) fans of Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme. I even see some similarities (probably due to the tonka) to Arpège pour Homme (albeit mostly in the drydown).

Monster sillage here, so proceed with caution. Massive longevity, too -- easily one of the longest lasting frags I've purchased in the past year.

Probably not best suited for extremely warm climes, but I'll let you be the judge of that.

All in all, a fantastic bargain sleeper. (A definite try-before-ya-buy kind of frag, though.)

Subhalen's avatar

H.M. by Hanae Mori

I love this stuff as does my wife. Her initial impression was lemon then it toned down to vanilla. Reminds me somewhat of A*Men as well, but more defined.