Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Présence by Montblanc

Awesome.. For me, next to Hanae Mori, one of my new favorites. I received the most compliments when I have wore this one out this summer. You can't go wrong with this one, for sure!

Voyage by Nautica

I have to agree with Andrewthecologneguy. I received many compliments on this one and the longevity on my skin was above average. I have always been skeptical of the aquatic types of scents, but this one does it for me (along with a couple others that I just discovered)!

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

I like this, but does it seem to vanish way too soon? I couldn't detect it after 3 1/2 hours and was disappointed. Maybe, I am not applying it correctly. It does have a rich scent to it, spicy with a little dirtyness to it.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

I had the pleasure of sampling this today, and I think Iike it. It is obviously a much fresher version of the first offering by Prada: Amber Pour Homme. However, there is a "baby wipes" scent (very much like that of Bvlgari's BLV Notte) alongside the original, super soapy Amber. The overall effect is much like Guerlain's Vetiver. I normally find fragrances like that (Guerlain's Vetiver and Prada Amber ph) to be too soapy, too strong, and too in your face. Infusion is the perfect strangth for someone like me, and I find it very wearable. So much so that I sprayed about 10 shots on me, and I did not feel overwhelmed at all...compared to wanting to gag from just one spray of the Amber ph or Vetiver.

I give this a thimbs up, because Prada obviously recognizes the fact that the original might be a bit too much, and has decided to offer something of the 'smaller noses'.

If you like Thierry Mugler's Mugler Cologne, you should enjoy this sibling equally as well.

beltz's avatar

In The Summer Kitchen by CB I Hate Perfume

This stinks. It does what it says: it smells like your kitchen in the summer.
    Think of banana peels left in your overflowing garbage for a few hours, and some spices. It smells like fruits becoming too ripe, in a bad way, and is not very pleasant. However, it is accurate to its name.

Kahuna Cowboy's avatar

Bigelow Barber Cologne Elixir Blue No. 1580 by C.O. Bigelow Apothecary

Commenting on the body wash, I love the scent of this. It is kind of a cross between Cool Water and Platinum Egoiste. It layers well with Erolfa for me. Great body wash.

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Casmir by Chopard

It sounds good; mango peach then the flowers... but it does not happen so. No sweet delicious mango peach, but spicy bitter bergamot even more dirtied with coconut makes a muddy unpleasant mass with the flowers. Amber sandalwood base is nice after half an hour.

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Catalyst by Halston

this is for pure perfume. Sweet cloying and nostalgic with violet Jasmine sandalwood and oakmoss. I do not anything green. I do not prefer to wear these old style, old lady scents but this one is better than many.

gerbert's avatar

Hammam Bouquet by Penhaligon's

A rich rose/neroli that is carried well by a musky, woody amber. The neroli comes across quite heavy at first, but it mellows out and settles into a pleasant and comfortable powdery musky thing that gives me new appreciation for neroli.

gerbert's avatar

Endymion by Penhaligon's

oops, I meant Escada not Hererra . . . doh!

beddaman's avatar

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Great for a young man not masculine. The ladies love it. Its not my number one fragrance but its close.

Andy Warhol for Men by Andy Warhol

Smells like fruity money. Simple, green and clean, I like!

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

Heck of a lot better than the "original". The crazy naming scheme here is bunk. There's nothing "extreme" about this. Smells nothing like the original. The original is much more peppery and abrasive. This however is subdued, more green/herbal with more citrus and, yes, the infamous Bulgari's tea note.

Maxims pour Homme by Maxims

A bold, chypre masculine. Nice mix of lavender and carnation and a dominant oakmoss and musk base with a typical leather note thrown in. I usually dislike these chypres but this is pretty good.

Odeur 71 by Comme des Garçons

Different. Very, very different. In a few words without going pretentious artsy: a wet woody metallic. However, if you read the crazy fragrance notes list, you can almost imagine them from this scent. They are not discernible immediately but they can be found. "Dust on a lightbulb" is my faavorite "note" in the wacky bunch. A definite try before you buy both historically and odorifically.

Ténéré by Paco Rabanne

Has a spicy, civet (actually, in this case: florals) note in it that can be equated to Kouros. For comparative purposes, this is deeper and sweeter. There's more honey in this and a hint of orange. Yeah now it smells a lot like Orange Spice. Gives off a warm, confident scent. Another gem gone the way of the dodo.

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone

Very, very nice opening. Though it doesn't smell precisely like pomegranate, it does a good job emulating it. Dark, woody fruits is really it. However, it fades out after about an hour but during that hour it's really nice.

Curve Chill for Men by Liz Claiborne

Azzaro Chrome mixed with ck One. Not bad but kinda of a bore.

Driven by Derek Jeter

A cool, peppery aquatic. Very much like Adidas Moves but stronger and less watery. Good enough for women to order for their husbands.

Play by Comme des Garçons

A clean and light lime and orange top, slightly peppery middle and herbal base. Very lively, actually. A nice citrus that is very approachable. I agree about the bottle's graphics. It freaks me out and I have to keep it in a drawer.

Pedro Sanchez's avatar

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

This used to be a great fragrance....but now it just conjures a 'wanky' image. I am almost embarrassed to admit its a Creed I am wearing for fear of the wank factor now associated with it. Great tobacco scent though...

Bigsly's avatar

Etra by Etro

Very subtle and well blended, yet not a lightweight by any means. Not much in the way of florals (thank goodness), yet delicate in a way that one usually expects only in a floral fragrance. For me the longevity is good if not excellent and the sillage is just right (with one spray of the EDT bottle, to the chest). It could get boring if used every day, but for me, that's probably true for every fragrance I've ever tried. I'd call this more masculine than feminine, but then I can't imagine it smelling bad on anyone under normal conditions. Very high quality juice here!

12 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 21st August, 2008)

Bigsly's avatar

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Well, I've come to agree with some of the negative reviews after wearing this a few times. There is a sharp, throat-closing soapiness to this that makes it unwearable for me (so now I agree with SirSlarty). If you don't detect this, then you might like it, but I really don't see anything special about it. If I liked this kind of fragrance, I'd reach for Yves Rocher's Iris Noir instead (Luca Turin thinks it works well as a "masculine," for instance). I'll also mention that I no longer would compare it to Richard James Savile Row, which has more dimensions and lacks the sharp soapy quality.

Old "newbie" review: I agree with wsr93 that this is not an "amber frag," but I disagree with SirSlarty about the sharpness. With one spray to the chest, it is very mild, yet quite pleasant. It's not a floral "soapy" either, and it doesn't really register with me as "soapy" at all, though I understand why some would think so (I only use unscented soap, so I don't have to worry about these associations). It's actually a milder version of Richard James Savile Row. It's got a dusty yet not dry quality to it, which is very nice. I enjoy this as a "change of pace" fragrance, but would get bored with it if I wore it every day.

12 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 August, 2009)

Jemimagold's avatar

mb02 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

Mb 02 is another ethereal scent created by Mark Buxton for the biehl parfumkunstwerke line. Whereas mb01 is all floral gorgeousness, mb 02 is a little more sporty but still very elegant. Mb 02 has Mark Buxton’s trademark etherealness and is very much in keeping with his style of creating perfumes that stay close to the skin. From the top note I get lovely warm notes of bergamot and neroli which are charmingly leavened with violet. The violet then goes on to work very nicely with the fir balm to create a cheerful yet calming scent. I am not much of an iris fan but the small amount added is just enough to give the perfume gravity without launching a rooty “ashtray” accord that can sometimes accompany iris. In fact, mb 02 reminds me a bit of Armani Prive’s delicately exquisite iris masterpiece, Pierre de Lune.

However, the best comparison I can think of is that mb 02 is to mb 01, what Diorella is to Diorama. And those of you who know those Dior classics will know exactly what I mean. Well done, Mark Buxton!

Here are the notes of biehl parfumkunstwerke’s mb 02, courtesy of The Perfumed Court: violet, bergamot, tagetes, basil, carnation, violet, iris, labdanum, sandalwood, musk, fir balm, benzoe siam.

Jemimagold's avatar

mb03 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

Mb 03 is probably my least favorite in the biehl’s mb line but that is only because I am so enamored of mb 01 and 02. Mb 03 is predominantly an incense perfume which is similar to CdG Zagorsk but the chief difference is that mb 03: a) is smoother due to the addition of chamomile, and b) comes across as slightly more complex given its swirl of spices. The gentleness of mb 03 also had me thinking of CdG’s Palisander. After 10-15 minutes, mb 03’s sandalwood notes gently emerge in a dry aromatic way and combine nicely with the red pepper. Lest you be concerned about the red pepper aspect, I think it is extraordinarily well blended and serves to complement the other notes rather than overpower them (ie. this is not like TDC's Rose Poivree).

Mb 03 also has Mark Buxton’s trademark etherealness and is very much in keeping with his style of creating perfumes that stay close to the skin. By that, I mean that you really cannot smell it unless you have your nose right next to your skin. But, even with this closeness, it lasted about 2 hours.

Here are the notes for biehl parfumkunstwerke’s mb 03, courtesy of The Perfumed Court: roman chamomile, red pepper, elemi, cistus, cashmere wood, styrax, amber, incense, sandalwood, patchouli.

tacos's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

She walked right passed me and stopped. Then she turned around and said: you smell good. Then she sniffed again and said: super, really super......Funny, the first time i smelled TdH i was not convinced...i could just smell the orange and thought: is this really what i want? I decided to buy it anyway. Even after the first times i used it i was not sure...But this soon changed. Somehow, this flagrance starts smeller better and better in time. Also apply a little bit on you shirt..believe it will do wonders during the next hours...I never had so many good reactions with a flagrances then this one..

merenguehips's avatar

Fracas by Robert Piguet

Stunning, surprising, and utterly feminine. I bought the EDP, and am somewhat disappointed with it's longevity. My m-i-l has a sample from who knows when that I must assume has aged well or is the parfum-it lasts for eons on me and is more decadent and sensuous. A must-have for a seductress.

merenguehips's avatar

Diamant by Fragonard

First of all, it's "Diamant." Secondly, haven't tried Coco, but this seems to be the less complex yet equally annoying relative of TM's Angel. Cloying, overly foody and sweet, really impossible for me to wear without becoming sick.

bbBD's avatar

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

LPH's most noticeable feature is its boozy, sweet rum note. This note, paired with cinnamon and vanilla, creates the basis for a fairly sweet fragrance. The rum note persists for a long time, eventually giving way to a soft, sweet musk. The fragrance most similar to this is Boss Bottled/#6, but I think Boss does a slightly better job balancing the sweet notes with some woodsy notes. This is one of those fragrances I like smelling on my arm but I'm not sure about wearing as a daily fragrance. Avoid if you don't like sweet fragrances.

crunkjuice's avatar

Germany Germany

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

F***ING UNBELIEVABLE! I never guessed this frag would smell that good! Seems like i can smell the pheromones coming out of the bottle. Its real fresh and smells really like silver. It deserves the name.
    Its also very rich smelling! 2 thumbs up! Cant wait till Himalaya arives here!