Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

69105's avatar

Tricorn by Caswell-Massey

Medicinal, a little bit - but still a very good fragrance all around. Very herbal, very spicy. Smells totally unique - vanilla cookies baking? incense burning? spiced rum on the cask? all of the above? Anyway, I'm totally hooked on this one - I wear it all the time, and it's just so perfect. No wonder it kept its popularity for almost 70 years! Two thumbs way up for this old classic.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

It took me 3 weeks to track down a bottle of this stuff so I could sample it, and boy am I glad I did. The notes are all things I really like and they are blended to perfection. One of the beatiful things about Creed fragrance is that they seem to set differently on each person's skin. They smell a bit different on each and every wearer so you should try this for yourself to be 100% sure you like it. The only comment is that on my skin which is extremely dry, the scent doesn't last long enough.

Pi by Givenchy

Sweet, but not cloying. The fragrance that screams "Gourmand!" and means it. The top notes are nice, and tend to blend over the vanilla, covering it just a bit. The dry down is straight up vanilla and very mellow. I like the fact that this is sort of intense at first application and then mellow toward the end, works great for a day at work. The only issue is, that since the fragrance is so sweet people who tend to apply heavy amounts will make people around them queasy.

Zirh by Zirh

This stuff is just great as a spritz to quickly splash on before you head out the door on a weekend when you're going to be either working or doing things outside. This makes a tremendous casual daily wear fragrance that is inexpensive and easy to apply. You can reapply it throughout the day, and not worry about overdoing it since the staying power is not very strong.

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

This just smells very generic to me, it reminds me of a time when men's aftershave was generic and everyone had basically the same scent. The fragrance is harsh on my nose, the "fresh" scent reminding me more of something very astringent and biting.

Corduroy by Zirh

Not my favorite scent, but not bad either. I like the cinamon smell, it is spicy and vigorous and like all of Zihr scents it is quite excellent for the price. A perfect daily wear, apply liberally, kind of scent and it lasts and lasts. My only issue is that the dry down is kind of hum drum and even though I like the notes, they don't make me feel any different or make me go wow.

Jack Black Signature Black Mark by Jack Black

Saffron, Cedar, earthy and woody. Very comforting, for some reason it places my mind in some place rustic and refined with a sort of quality about it that makes me just relax. This fragrance is mild, stays close to the skin, and seems to last awhile. I really like it.

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

This is a very rich dark scent, with a mix of everything I love. The fragrance is woody and oriental, with coffee overtones that just wrap you up and stay. The staying power of this fragrance is surprising, and it is a very nice scent for every day wear as it doesn't quite break the bank. A nice change from my usual gourmand!

Aqua pour Homme Marine by Bulgari

I know this smells generic, and it is not anything "special" as most people seem to agree. This fragrance however is a wonderful warm weather fragrance and it lasts awhile. It still has the notes of ocean that the original had, but it also seems to add something that makes it lighter. This is a great middle of the day fragrance, or a great weekend warm weather fragrance. It does not seem to fit dress up though.

No. 5 by Chanel

Everyone needs to own this at least one time in her life. It really is "the standard by which all others are judged". It makes you feel old fashioned and wealthy - and reminds you that a really good fragrance shouldn't just smell good, it should also make you FEEL a certain way when you wear it. That's the magic . . . and that's the big difference between a trashy Paris or Britney scent and a true masterpiece.

Cristalle Eau de Parfum by Chanel

Anyone considering Cristalle, I highly recommend you go with the Eau de Toilette rather than this Eau de Parfum. They are actually by two different perfumers. The Toilette is much fresher, sweeter and softer. The Parfum has an acidic bite that can be nauseating and overwhelming. As a child we had a guest from overseas who wore the Toilette and her room used to smell divine. I went to a department store years later to buy this nostalgically evocative scent and the (ignorant) saleswoman talked me into the Parfum "cos it's exactly the same it just lasts longer". What absolute rubbish that turned out to be!

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I will never let my husband wear anything but this! It is so rich and masculine and smokey, utterly distinctive and unforgettable. I also love that on the dry-down it manages to just smell like 'man' - leather, tobacco, and money.

odysseusm's avatar

Black Diamond by Canali

Revised my previous review, upgraded to neutral.
    Like all the Canali scents I've tried, this is very smooth and has a complex list of ingredients.
    Props to the mid notes: an excellent array of beautiful floral notes. Commendation to the jasmine which is gorgeous and the violet which ads a pleasant yet restrained silvery-bright note.
    Dry-down (predictably) gets sweet and musky.
    The fruit notes are not prominent, I don't really notice them.
    Not my style, but it is OK.

12 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 07 January, 2011)

Weekend for Women by Burberry

i really like this scent from burberry! same as hallospacegirl,my friend was wearing it and it was a love at first sniff for me.

i find this scent rather fresh and girly. it had become one of my favourites.

cK one by Calvin Klein

i agree that it smells more masculine than feminine. but i still like the top note which i find it very fresh. it dies down to a rather musky and masculine basenote after an hour. i wore this to school and my friends commented it was nice. the price is rather low for a cK perfume.

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

i hate this smell. i was attracted to try it after seeing the advertisement on magazines. it smells totally different from what i tested in the drugstore. i find the scent rather weird and is not for my liking. i think it will stay in my cupboard as a decoration. ):

Eternity Summer 2007 by Calvin Klein

i regretted getting this. it doesnt smell as nice on me as what i smell in the drugstore. very disappointing.

DesGrieux's avatar

Acier Aluminium by Creed

It's an eccentric one. Like most of the Creeds I own it doesn't last properly. Therefore it doesn't satisfy completely - maybe just for two or three hours. Would it only had been denser, thicker... The drydown is so explicitly "creedish" (the infamous Creed base not) - it bores me. It is nice to wear it from time to time, but nothing one could rely on. Malevolently spoken: The whole pretentious "Creed thing" (marketing, 'reputation', list of celebrities etc.) has its incarnation in Acier Aluminium: It pretends to be art on a high level, but at its core it is only snobbish. Sad to say so!

DesGrieux's avatar

Alessandro Dell'Acqua Man by Alessandro Dell'Acqua

It feels indeed very mediterranean. But it only pleases me for the first hour. Afterwards it loses its grip, becomes indifferent - a major fault in a fragrance, I think. Of course it smells "cheap" compared to the great houses. Don't get tricked by the good reviews. If you've ever smelled something upscale from Frédéric Malle or Serge Lutens you will be horrified. That said it is useful from time to time to calm down from abundant use of niche perfumes.

JaimeB's avatar

Laguna Homme by Salvador Dali

This is a controversial scent, as you can see from the reviews in Basenotes. It really is a strange scent. I think the quinine note in it is responsible for both the positive and negative reactions. It's not exactly aquatic, but combined with the citrus notes, it makes for a lightly smoky and slightly metallic edge to the top note. I guess this is intrigued some and puts off others. The middle is a somewhat diverse collection of typical heart notes, woods, white floral, tobacco. Where the main interest lies for me is in the base notes: tonka bean, vanilla, and musk make for a bit of powderiness there; but the touch of labdanum and clary sage take it to a different level. On my skin, the powder hangs in the background, but the clary-labdanum win out. When to wear this? Warm weather definitely; when you are in a sunny, optimistic mood, too.

Joe_Frances's avatar

G-11 by Il Profumo

G-11 by Profumo is in my estimation the most underrated top quality fragrances on the market today. In fact, it's so underrated it's essentially unknown amid the din and hype of an advertising climate that seduces everyone of every age to buy mediocre fragrances. G-11 is a rich, smooth, intoxicating scent that is green, fresh and herbal up front, and develops into a rich, tobacco and warm spice finish that lasts and lasts. It is not sweet and is very distinctive. It's longevity can only be described as tenacious. As with a powerhouse EdeP, which this is, apply sparingly for best results. On luckyscent.com, I called it an Aramis for the 21st Century, unabashedly masculine but not aggressive and definitely not dated, it is made to be appreciated by men of all ages and anyone fortunate enough to be nearby. I am sorry that our friends in Los Angeles have dropped it form their roster. If only more people could have gotten over the unappealing name and given this a try! G-11? What's that, an international summit conference that young people like to protest against? No, it's one of the finest EdeP's on the market today, and in a word it is great! Passed over by many who fail to appreciate subtlety and class, think of the Brioni add: "Be One of a Kind". That applies to G-11, in spades.

purplebird7's avatar

Habanita by Molinard

Instant time transport back to a different era--Habanita is an extremely nostalgic, perfumey-perfume consisting of a sweet powder and a strong tobacco accord. It is the scent of a couple, she wearing the powder and he holding the cigar, their bodies entwined on the dance floor of a nightclub in full swing. It's forceful stuff, too; not designed for the meek. My only complaint concerns the sour and bitter edge that it must wield order to avoid sliding into "ordinary" territory, making it less than enjoyable for everyday use. Perhaps I would wear it occasionally when I felt like dressing up naughty and making a statement, but Bandit already occupies that function for me. I can't say that I really like this, even though it is a marvellous work of art well worth preserving. A good experience, and I'm glad that many people find it more practical than I do.

purplebird7's avatar

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

This joins the growing list of what I consider to be "atmospheric" fragrances designed to evoke a place or setting. I like to smell them, but I don't want to smell like them. Apparently there is a demand for environmental aromas in hotels and stores to strengthen memory and feelings of loyalty among customers. People are starting to enjoy man-made fragrances which create a hyper-reality, like smoky bonfires or old libraries. L'Air du Desert Morocain is a clever composition that uses a host of ingredients to deftly imitate lemony frankincense ground to a dusty powder and laid upon polished black leather. It is dry, citrusy, and bittersweet. I could experience a similar aroma by donning a leather jacket and putting my nose into a bag of olibanum. Both are equally enjoyable, but they fall short of constituting an entire perfume. As a point of reference, Messe de Minuit is deeper, more complex, and accomplishes a greater range of contrasts, although it also can be difficult to wear. For use on the skin, I still prefer softer, sweeter, more traditional, skin-compatible scents.

Jungle L'Éléphant by Kenzo

I was intrigued by the distinct cardamom note I got on the paper strip. I love cardamom and find it is used way too sparingly in perfumery. I realised the scent would be too sweet for me, but hoped that maybe the cardamom would balance the vanilla sweetness and make it into a spicy Indian dessert or something. Alas, no. On skin, this is a synthetic, sickly sweet vanilla bomb with no trace of cardamom or other spices that lasts and lasts and LASTS. I wished I could get it off my skin because it made me rather nauseous. I won't apply it again.

Victorian Posy by Penhaligon's

I really enjoyed this scent on paper, an interesting floral chypre among Penhaligon's rather bland concoctions! Unfortunately, it was horrid on skin. Absolutely vile, the worst kind of musty, stale, sickening, cheap 70ies chypre.

Acqua di Sale by Profumum

The unmentionable sickening note (translates as sort of stale/metallic/salty) in Secretions Magnifiques (and to a lesser degree in Skarb) meets the driftwood and aquatic accords of Preparation Parfumee and ends up in a candy sweet mess. It seems oceanic scents simply can't be made.

Pulp by Byredo

Reminds me quite a lot of Delrae's Bois de Paradis - a similar ripe, nectar-sweet, tropical golden elixir of a fruit scent. I don't normally appreciaty fruity scents, or overly sweet scents, but this particular genre I like because of its decadent over-the-top gorgeousness. That said, I think Bois de Paradis is the superior one and if I need one at all I'd pick that one. Pulp is a little closer to common sweet fruit scents, if still sensually "mature" and far from the tutti frutti bubble gum department store stuff.

Skarb by Humiecki & Graef

The vile Secretions Magnifiques with some added myrtle and/or driftwood.

FloatingPoint's avatar

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

-- Charles Dickens

I'm just going to come right out and say it: I love the 70s. Bell bottoms, flower shirts, long hair and moustaches, funk and disco, swinging, Good Times and Sanford & Son, Burt Reynolds--I'll take it all. Before Reagan. Before AIDS. Before padded shoulders.

Azzaro PH and Paco Rabanne PH evoke the 70s for me more than any other fragrances, and that makes them winners in my book. I have nothing to add to the fine descriptions of this fragrance below, except to say that there's nothing wrong with unbuttoning your shirt, growing a moustache, and channeling your inner swinger. The 70s are dead. Long live the 70s!

FloatingPoint's avatar

Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi

A super blast of powder soon gives way to a magnificent blend of hay, woods, yerba mate, and incense. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but it's certainly original and unique. My only complaint is the longevity, which on my skin is only a couple of hours at best. So it's not going to the top of my "to buy" list, but I can see a day when I'll break down and decide that I want to be able to smell like this at will.