Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

FloatingPoint's avatar
    FloatingPoint

Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi

A super blast of powder soon gives way to a magnificent blend of hay, woods, yerba mate, and incense. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but it's certainly original and unique. My only complaint is the longevity, which on my skin is only a couple of hours at best. So it's not going to the top of my "to buy" list, but I can see a day when I'll break down and decide that I want to be able to smell like this at will.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

M1 Narcissus by CB I Hate Perfume

Fragrance elements: narcissus, clean running water over mossy stones, wind blowing through green leaves…
    M#1 Narcissus is a nice scent, the first CB I’ve tried that I like. It has attractive green-leaf notes that remind me of Bond No. 9 Gramercy Park, but are not as subtle. There are some lovely flowers. I don’t know what narcissus smells like but there is a combination of lily of the valley, iris, and sweet pea. This is interesting, not sweet, somewhat haunting in style. Because it is so floral it is not quite my style, but I can appreciate it.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Just Breathe by CB I Hate Perfume

Alleged fragrance elements: bamboo leaves, Japanese green tea, 3 types of cedarwood, incense.
    Well I have to say I’m extremely disappointed in Just Breathe. The elements sound great! But where are they? Missing in action. This starts with a sour-sweet green note that bears no resemblance to any leaf I know. The scent gets sweet, fruity and odd; like a car freshener in peach or melon scent. This has the usual CB style: slightly sweet, synthetic and freshly tangy. Something like powdered laundry detergent. No cedarwood, no incense. Don’t like. Just avoid.

taliaseki's avatar
    taliaseki
    Turkey Turkey

Blonde by Versace

Top Notes: Green violet, neroli, tuberose
    Heart Notes: Jasmine, orange blossom, daffodil, broom
    Base Notes: Tuberose, woods

I have bought it blind in sake of tuberose mentioned here. If anyone ever mentioned about the neroli, (or i have checked the notes like i have done a minute ago, just after i have tried perfume and my eye began to twitch nervously because of the neroli) i would even not try it. But i am happy i have tried (not happy to have bought yet though). First this neroli is an modern version and better than the old; bloody killer of other notes. This modern version is civilized enough to let tuberose come to stage in ten minutes. And it is less bitter, spicy more sour orange and sunny. It does not kick the nose so harsh and after half or one hour leaves the show. When jasmine and orange blossoms come, only a sourness is left from neroli. These two are like two middle aged over weight cancan dancers that shake stage when they jump. I like both but here you feel them heavy and over powered. (do i exaggerate, because of the nasty affects of neroli on my nervous system? possible, because neroli old or modern has an affect on perfume, like neon-guava painted walls would do to home decoration. ups i have to cease fire.)
    For the first three hours blonde is an versace women; bold and showy, big blonde hair, 5 inch pumps and crystal figures on the denim. It can pump you up without pumps bother your feet. But the best part is the base notes. Tuberose makes a suprise and comes back with some ylang ylang and stays really long.

taliaseki's avatar
    taliaseki
    Turkey Turkey

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

It is a misty, powdery iris with aldehydes; and somehow sweet. It has the rubber eraser like note as in Bulgari black. And though the aldehydes in chanel 5 strikes a headache on me this does not. This is a special scent which happens to be both modern and fairy (iris). I do not plan to buy one now but can make addiction if i try a few times more i am afraid.

Leontion's avatar
    Leontion

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

I didn't quite get Allure Sensuelle at first, it is a study in contrasts - cool, clean, savory and yet warm, woody and sweet at the same time. The patchouli, vanilla and frankincense base is both cozy and very sexy, overlaid by a jammy melon or apricot note. Suprisingly, the effect is not cloying or sweet, nor gourmand in the manner of Angel. The parfum is more subtle and refined than the EdP and the incense notes are more intense in the parfum. I find Allure Sensuelle both earthy and ethereal and the parfum has become a holy grail for me.

Timberline by Dana

Fantastic! Very glad I stumbled upon this. It is a very, very sexy scent - that's really all that can be said.

Recommended!

V pour Homme by Valentino

I love it! Cotton candy sweetness with just the right amount of spicy cumin and cedar to make a delectable scent. Reminds me alot of Ambre De Cabochard - try that for a little more extreme notes.

A big thumbs up!

Ambre de Cabochard by Grès

I really like this! It reminds me alot of V pour Homme by Valentino, with a little extra oomph! The drydown is VERY similar, the mids are comparable (VPH is a bit more spicy with a cumin note), but the top notes of this one are much more extreme - dare I say better. The cotton candy effect is most certainly present throughout in both. In my opinion, it is a very unisex fragrance. Notes are as follows:

TOP NOTE:
    Seduction
    Spicy cinnamon, ginger and cardamom
    huckleberry, blackberry and mandarin

BASE NOTES:
    Sensuality
    Amber, patchouli, tonka bean,
    vanilla and musk

RECOMMENDED FOR BOTH SEXES! NICE!

enchantedaromas's avatar
    enchantedaromas

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

This may sound weird but, I tested this for the first time the other day at Sephora, and I said: "this is lovely, it's like Black Cashmere and the original Mania had a baby". YUM. I get lots of vanilla and sandalwood after 15 minutes, and it lasts and lasts...I love it.

Joy by Jean Patou

I had much higher expectations from "the most expensive fragrance in the world". To me it doesn't seem to be dated at all, it's really a timeless perfume. It's fruity, flowery and cheerful. The woman who wears it is optimistic, happy and enthusiastic. It's not bad, but I expected it to be a much more sophisticated and elegant fragrance. Maybe if I hadn't known it was classified as one of the greatest fragrances of all time, I would have rated it as positive. Maybe my expectations were too high...

D&G Masculine by Dolce & Gabbana

Top notes: lemon
    Mid notes: lemon
    Base notes: lemon
    I've said it all.

Individuel by Mont Blanc

Very nice. It's fruity, cheerful and bright, great for a young and enthusiastic person. It might tend to be a little bit sweet and reminiscent of a candy shop, but still, a pleasant scent.

Sira des Indes by Jean Patou

It's a very fruity and flowery fragrance. The woman who wears it is young, optimistic, enthusiastic, joyful, energetic and dynamic. Yet she's sensitive and delicate. It's also a bit reminiscent of a candy shop, but that re-enforces the idea that this is appropriate for a young person. It's not bad, but a fragrance with such a wonderful name should have been more oriental, sensual and mysterious.

pasha's avatar
    pasha

Vetiver by Guerlain

Even if you hate it in the beginning, Vetiver tends to win you over in time.

There is no self-respecting man enjoying fragrances who has not tested this bold statement from Guerlain. It is inevitable. It is such a powerhouse fragrance, such a name, such an establishment, even if one hates the scent, he must respect what it stands for: Vetiver is a scent created for the perfect gentleman, and a perfect gentleman is the man who wear it with confidence.

It is a mystery to me, because some days, it smells really wet, but other times, it smells really dry. Very very green, Vetiver is what is is named after: vetiver note on every aspect of the scent from top to bottom, but enriched with different notes at the different stages of its lifespan on your skin. It is decidedly green, and slightly dirty even, but also really really fresh. I feel like this scent alone has inspired many other summer-y fresh scents like the Issey Miyake line, because it is a very bold testament to every green note possible. The other thing I must say though: within all its rawness, it is still a very delicate, transparent, and elegant scent.

Opening is nutmeg, bergamot, neroli and lemon, orange, coriander and tobacco. It is decadent, and slightly sharp. Call me crazy, but there is a very soap-y feeling to this opening to my nose, I don't know why. It can be slightly nauseating in the beginning: all that green with all that Vitamin C, but that phase passes rather fast. Orris root, vetiver, sage grass, pepper and sandalwood at the core of the scent makes it very green and very bold. Now, this is the part that causes the debate- if you'll like it, you'll love it, if you cannot stand it, then you will never touch this scent again. The carnation note evens the greenness of the scent a bit, but still, it smells very natural; pastoral even.

The most legendary part of Vetiver is its drydown though: the smooth transition from all that foliage to civet, tonka bean, moss, leather, amber, and myrrh is done exceptionally well. Vetiver actually smells amber-y to me within all its greenness, that is why there is a clash of warm and cool I feel. It is a unique experience, because still to this day, I am still rediscovering more about this scent, and cannot seem to complete my journey with it. For instance, everybody keeps saying that this is a perfect scent for daywear during summer, but I feel like it works best on me during winters at night. Under the summer sun, it becomes too much; suffocating even. But with cooler temperatures, it is simply a force radiating charisma.

I really like Vetiver, but it can never be a blind-buy. Try it once, and see how it will work for you. I feel like Vetiver knows no age or race. It is particularly masculine, and very very elegant all the way.

13 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 14 August, 2009)

pasha's avatar
    pasha

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

This was definitely love at first sight... or sniff I should say!

If you look at my reviews, I tend to really lay it on thick about the scents that I adore. Heavy with compliments... but I must say, when you smell a gem like L'Instant Pour Homme, how can you not be generous with the praises? It is perhaps one of the most elegant scents I have ever had the chance to use in my life. I absolutely adore it. I had said in another review for Youth Dew Amber Nude, "this is how a woman should smell" and now I am saying the same about L'Instant PH: this is how a man should smell. It is very sparkling, subdued, yet bold at the same time, very luscious and colossal, but not particularly wet, nor dry. It is very smooth and slick; very layered at the same time.

It is a gourmand scent, and yes, it feels slightly edible, but nowhere near offensive nor dubious. You don't feel like an apple tart in this is what I am trying to say. It opens with lemon, grapefruit, star anise, bergamot and jasmine. Instantly, it is slightly on the sweeter side, and I'll admit, kind of androgynous in the beginning. But slowly, the bold opening melts on your skin and becomes one with it, and turn into a very sensual and awake experience. The heart notes of the scent are patchouli (kind of heavy to my nose), lavender, tea, sandalwood, cedar and cacao. Now, I detect a heavy layer of woods mixing with delicious other notes, but to my nose, cacao is not particularly chocolate in this case. It is not as sweet as you would expect, that is why it is not particularly feminine. It is sensual, rich and slightly warm, and the lavender note compliments cacao and jasmine pretty well.

And finally the base notes hibiscus flower and musk. At the end of the day, you end up having a warm woods and musk cocktail with a bit of sweet notes lingering near by. Very acceptable longevity on my skin. It is absolutely heavenly and quite sexy at the same time. I cannot imagine anybody HATING this scent: it is just too precious. And in no way it smells synthetic (I have no problem with synthetic scents, but in this compostion of notes, a synthetic resolution would not have worked well).

Sweet scents like this one, Bulgari Blu Notte PH, or even Opium PH are being favored by women on their men so much, yet men usually tend to feel uncomfortable wearing them. The cacao note in this scent is particularly scandalous, not unlike the cumin note in Kingdom, or iris in Dior Homme, to me. But in no way is it offensive. I can see a woman wearing this scent as much as I can see a woman wearing Guerlain Vetiver or Versace Dreamer. It is for the rather adventurous ones in my opinion.

The bottle is fantastic with a good weight to it. It looks chic, tall, and distinguishable among all the other scents in your collection. The cap is jet black, the bottle looks streamlined with bold cuts on the surface, and the juice is champagne.

It is a statement.

Royall Bay Rhum by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Objectively, a crisp coniferous scent. Not powdery. Not sweet. Crisp. Like those scented pinecones you see in the stores around Christmastime. A nice scent and well-balanced... just needs to last longer.

Royall Lyme by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Jolly Rancher lime. I never liked those. I was a cherry guy. This fragrance last just about as long as a Jolly Rancher, too. Still, a good blast of lime but that's it.

Royall Muske by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Nothing yells babershop like a red, white and blue striped, spiral pole... except Royall Muske. I love this stuff. Sweet musk.

Royall Mandarin by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Well, it's not sweet like a candy but it's definitely orange. A little bitter. Very subtle. Nice smell.

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

What a strange concoction. It's both putrid and wonderful at the same time. Quite odd. Reminds me of the notes of Fluid Iceberg. Hugely synthetic. Thumbs up on the weirdness, thumbs down on the smell.

LuciusVorenus's avatar
    LuciusVorenus

Habanita by Molinard

I am sorry but I disagree with some reviewers. This perfume is very feminine. It is powdery and has a strong Rose middle note. Still, it is a beautiful perfume, masterfully balanced and very long lasting. But don't fool yourself thinking it can be considered a masculine fragrance. It can't!

gordonm's avatar
    gordonm

Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

This is a really clever fragrance. All the private collection are marketed as unisex, but in my experience, this one smells either very masculine or very feminine according to the wearer's skin- i.e- not unisex but one or the other as opposed to a fence-sitter. Not an every day at the office type of thing, but could be worn day or night. It has great subtlety in a very distinctive manner. A great blend of amber with wood, a dry / sweet balance with great lasting power. A refreshing detour from the mainstream "ozonic note, low-carbon-footprint, inoffensive, Walmart, boil-in-the-bag " rubbish. Whilst this might be twice as expensive as a bottle of "everyman's juice", do not be put off. It's easy to know the price of everything and the value of nothing. Check it out!

gordonm's avatar
    gordonm

Duro by Nasomatto

Isn't it just amazing how an individual's reaction to a particular fragrance can differ so radically to that of the next guy! I am a great fan of this site, but I do not often feel moved to write a review. I read the last two reviews of Duro and felt I had to add my own. This perfume is the most powerful intense, masculine fragrance for years! To use the term of the "cognoscenti", the sillage is in the realms of science fiction. If I pick a shirt out of the washbasket a week later, I can still get that wonderful refined, deep, dark and expensive aura. As for sweetness- Trebor- are you sure you werent eating a toffee apple when testing this one? This is dry, dry, dry- on me anyway. All joking apart, this is one to try for any guy who is a serious scent fan. And Trebor, as I said at the start, I'm amazed at your experience with this one, but hey, funny world if we all liked the same. To any readers, try this, it's streets ahead of 95% of what you can get out there. Not an every-day fragrance, but top-drawer evening wear.

mehmetdnmz's avatar
    mehmetdnmz
    France France

By Man by Dolce & Gabbana

A very distinctive, original fragrance, makes me feel like that it is like a second skin covering me. It is a fragrance that disturbs, but not synthetic. So sad that they discontinued it. Never been able to find any fragrance that is close to By DG. And never gonna be able to get the compliments I had with this one if noone tells me how they are capable of finding this fragrance

lizzie_j's avatar
    lizzie_j

Golden Amber by Becker.eshaya

A lovely, light, sparkling amber, with an almost astringent thread (possibly the citrus notes) running through it. This is one amber to love and adore and find its way into many wardrobes because it's so versatile. Great alone or layered, for everyday or special occasions, it's a complex fragrance with more to say than the notes might suggest. Not cloying or too heavy, but it IS substantial and full of life. Very very well done, and I just love the faceted glass bottle.

Kaern's avatar
    Kaern

Encre Noire by Lalique

Wore this when it was first launched and liked very much. Very nice soft wood/vetiver fragrance that lasts all day and improves in the drydown when the musk kicks in. Not for harsh vetiver lovers though. Bottle can be doubled for ink when finished also.

Big_Scooter's avatar
    Big_Scooter

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

This is a nice one. The majority is correct: boozy, woodsy, and sweet. One thing I certainly didn't get from the other reviews is just how mellow of a scent this is. With boozy and sweet in practically every review, I was half expecting it to smell like I poured vanilla rum all over myself. It is a very balanced scent, with none of the characteristics being overly dominant. It is hard for me to imagine someone who would have a strong negative reaction to this, and it is equally hard for me to conjure up a situation in my mind in which this scent would be inappropriate. Warm, comforting, mellow, refined, and just straight pleasant.

I may be the only one to mention this (didn't read all the reviews) but to my nose, it bears some resemblance to l'anarchiste by Caron, but with everything toned way down. There is no metal, blood, or oranges. The spices and woods are what I find to be similar, but the edge has been taken off. The spices are toned WAY down, I should add.

A hearty thumbs up!

Ms Rochambeau's avatar
    Ms Rochambeau

Cigar by Rémy Latour

Like Nash, I stumbled accross this one in TJ Maxx for $12. I had never heard of it before, but as a woman who will smoke an occasional cigar and likes tobacco based scents, this caught my eye immediately. It was sealed so I couldn't test it in the store, but at that price I figured I wouldn't have lost much if I got it home and didn't like it. I agree with Ken_Russell and a couple of the other reviewers--this is a cigar evoking scent, but it isn't very complex and immediately after I sprayed it on I was a little disappointed at how cheap and obviously synthethic it smelled. This is categorized as a men's fragrance, but my usuals: Tabac Blond, Fumerie Turque and even Habinita would kick it's butt any day when it comes smouldering, smokey leatheriness.

sonoranwoman's avatar
    sonoranwoman
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

I don't know what everyone is wild about. I have dosed myself over and over again and find this smells far too much like Vicks Vapor Rub, at least initially. It's hard to get past this. It is not complex, by any stretch of the imagination. The dry down is a bit more pleasing, however, I would never invest in an entire bottle. Oddly, it doesn't last on me.