Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

funnyboy's avatar

Animale Animale for Men by Animale Parfums

The only fragrance I have ever worn that gives me a migrane headache.Sickly .synthetic and disgusting.One to avoid at all costs unless you want to be smelled 100yds away!!

funnyboy's avatar

R by Révillon

Kind of old fashioned in a very clean sort of way.No one could object to this smell and it is definately masculine.I could imagine a well dressed city gent wearing this in Paris for a business lunch.I detect some lavender in there but not a sickly sweet sort like caron pour un homme.Definately one of my favorites for summer without being a citrus summer scent.

MissBehaviour's avatar

Germany Germany

Noa by Cacharel

I can't get enough of this sheer whisper of a fragrance; it is addictive and stunning and possibly the only extremely quiet fragrance that I now consider a staple and will repurchase for as long as they make it. Upon initial application I can hardly smell this at all, but the reward comes after about 15 minutes when it begins to develop on my skin. To me this is a perfect blend of "white flowers" and musks, but the brilliant addition of the coffee note prevents it from being blandly sweet. It has real personality and is beautifully feminine. Just when I think this has faded completely, it will kick back in and the peony makes its presence known again. The only drawback is that I need to reapply this during the day as its lasting power is average for what is already a very sheer scent to begin with. Despite this and despite my usual preference for strong fragrances, this one has a firm spot in my top ten faves. It's perfect for daytime and office wear and pretty much any occasion. Lovely.

Jubal's avatar

Gardénia Passion by Annick Goutal

Tuberose or Gardenia, whatever it is, I LOVE it!!!!! I've smelled so many fragrances in the last few weeks and most were either forgettable or scrubbers and then I opened a sample of Goutal's Gardenia Passion and found my Holy Grail, truly I think I heard trumpets!

If you look in the dictionary under the word Voluptuous there MUST be a photo of this fragrance. I grew up in a tropical climate and what I remember most was the scent of flowers at night, gardenia, jasmine, nicotiana, all simply ravishing. I never thought I'd encounter such a scent again and here it was waiting for me in a bottle of Gardenia Passion.

I read in reviews that THE Tuberose scent is supposed to be Fraca, and since I'm so bowled over by GP I thought I had to try Fraca because it must be even better, WRONG! I didn't really like Fraca very much at all too synthetic for me and it certainly wasn't the creamy buttery white floral I love about GP. It smells so very natural.

It lasts reasonably well on me though I reapply it so often I couldn't swear to how long. Truly, I feel like I'm addicted, I have to have a hit of it frequently. During the day every few hours I have to have a good deep sniff of it.

Please, Goutal, don't ever discontinue this one!

13 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 16 August, 2008)

ausamamira's avatar

Jordan Jordan

Style In Play by Lacoste

i got it as a gift... first i like it but my wife did not ... whenever i apply it she starts bigging me not to do so .. i dont know why but i changed my attitude towards this fragrance and started to dislike it :) ....

Exeter's avatar

Madame X by Ava Luxe

Towards the beginning, this was a lot more powdery than I thought it was going to be. I get this intense note that reminds of jojoba talc and it dominates for a while, but it doesn't entirely cover up the sexual animal underneath. After a good while this starts to get raunchy yet calculated and refined, and I say raunchy with the utmost praise. I had a hard time phrasing that sentence because its not quite right. It's not that the scent is ambiguous, but it just stirs up so much that I'm at a loss for concise words. This is fantastic on a woman, it drives me absolutely wild. A bit too powdery for a man, though it eventually backs off, but I think the right guy could still pull it off. Madame X is a seriously complex character, and I look forward to every meeting.

leviticus's avatar

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Acqua di Giò is one of the best fragrances on the market today. The notes are perfectly balanced, and when applied properly, it quickly becomes one of the most fresh and seductive scents. I recommend that you spray this at least 15-30 minutes before you plan on going out, as it takes that amount of time for the scent to really smell good. I never fail to get TONS of complements from the ladies! One girl was so obsessed with the scent that she told me she stole her brother's bottle and sprayed it on her wrist before going to bed so that she could fall asleep smelling Acqua di Giò!!

Unfortunately, as many of the reviewers have also mentioned, this fragrance is MUCH overused by young adults, especially those in college like myself. I never fail to smell it on at least 10 people when in a nightclub scenario. What a shame. Everybody wears it. Everyone knows about it. But if your like me, I refuse to not wear this scent just because everyone knows it by name; it's that great. So, how exactly does a guy go about wearing such an amazing fragrance and at the same time avoid smelling just like everybody else?

I recommend that this fragrance be added to your arsenal of great scents that smell great with your natural scent, but you must be tactful about when you use it. My style is to change things up a bit; keep them guessing. Seriously. It may seem extremely obvious, but you'll be surprised how you'll keep reaching for the same fragrance to use in the same situation every time it comes up. You may use the same fragrance when you go clubbing, or when you go to a bar, or to class. When you find yourself making those situational associations, force yourself to try something new. I love it when I sit next to a girl in class and I'm wearing Very Cool by Tommy Bahama one day and then the next day I'm wearing Cool Water by Davidoff. I actually catch her moving closer to me momentarily just to find out what I smell like!

These are just my thoughts. I hope they help...

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

On my skin it smells like a soap foam. Nothning special at all. I also can't smell roses in this.

Enjoy by Jean Patou

The smell is anoying during the first 2-3 minutes but after that it makes me enjoy every minute i wear it. Not appropriate for the summer but Enjoy lights up the winter cloudy days in my mind.

Incanto by Salvatore Ferragamo

Sweet and elegant. Fits me very well. It's not for every day use though. The mood and the occasion must be selected for this special fragrance.

Love In Paris by Nina Ricci

I've never tested it on my skin but I usually smell it on many of the women around me and it is awful. This smell is too commercial and I have the feeling that every second woman has it and puts it on her all the time because it is modern. This fragrance is very anoying actually even if you put it on rare occasions.
    I would never put such fragrance on my skin and people PLEASE stop using it-it is too much for those around you.

Brit Sheer by Burberry

It's delightfull at first when you smell it on your skin but in half an hour it becomes like nothing special but a floral scent.
    If you like fresh floral fragrances - this is for you.

Christina Aguilera by Christina Aguilera

My type. It's sweet and airy. Suitable for every occasion anytime.

Bigsly's avatar

Jacomo de Jacomo by Jacomo

I wonder if this has been reformulated. The base seems really "synthetic" to me, compared to the strong oakmoss base of another inexpensive fragrance, 273 for Men. Anyway, I think I'd buy a bottle of this fragrance is it smelled more natural to me. As it stands, because I already have 273 and don't need the strong clove of JdJ, I don't see any need for it. So, unless you know you are getting a bottle from the 1980s, I suggest samplinng 273 first, and if you think you'd rather have a similar fragrance but with strong a spice note (and you don't mind it if it's a little "synthetic"), go ahead and give JdJ a chance.

My original review, from August, 2008:

I agree with Foetidus fully. The clove is too much for me, and this is simply not the best "cheapo" of this type. I prefer Carven Homme, for example, though if you hate rosewood you should avoid CH. Longevity isn't great for JdJ and it's quite tame after about 45 minutes, so I'm not sure who this will appeal to, because those who like the strong clove won't like the timid drydown, while those who do like the drydown won't want to wait 45 minutes of strong clove before getting to that drydown.

13 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 25 April, 2011)

schumi's avatar

Romania Romania

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

How wrong I was when I wrote my initial revew of Givenchy Gentleman! It takes a while to get acquainted with it and that can only be a good thing. It means it's not just another "pour homme" fragrance. And boy are you in for a special treat once this baby develops.

It's incredibly pungent and spicy in the opening, and many people might not be willing to pass this stage. I was one of those people, but now I find the opening absolutely gorgeous and unique. The cinnamon is strong, really strong, and it envelops the less pungent tarragon in a waltz of spices that punches and then lifts you. The fact that there are absolutely no citruses in the opening of this fragrance is a bold move, and I much prefer this type of unique, strange opening to pretty much any citrus-based opening.

After such a loud opening, you'd maybe expect a bold follow up, but what follows is velvet, the finest velvet you've ever imagined. The vetiver is incredibly warm, while the patchoulli brings an elegant and sophisticated touch.

As for the leathery base... oh, that leathery base... That, my friends, is pure poetry. It is what dreams are made of, it is a song for the soul. A sublime ending for a grandiose fragrance.

Givenchy Gentleman is now in my top 5 favourite fragrances, and that after I hated it for years. I guess only something really special could create such mixed feelings as time goes by.

13 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th September, 2012)

JaimeB's avatar

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

I used to think I liked Lanvin Arpège pour Homme even better than Dior Homme because it seemed drier to my nose. I think that impression comes from the patchouli in the base of Arpège pH. It seems to make a big difference in the overall feel of the scent. Now, I'm beginning to think that I like them both, but in different ways. the Lanvin does strike me as a bit drier and perhaps more stereotypically masculine than the Dior. But the remarkable thing about both of these is that they brought iris (orris root) back out of exile from men's perfumery; they set the clock back to 16th century Tuscany and made iris a men's note again. That wasn't easy. Others had been trying, mostly niche houses and "edgy" noses. These were the ones that broke through to the larger market.

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Apparition Homme by Ungaro

Compared to Ungaro's previous trilogy, this is a pale, really pale launch. After those marvellous creations, this casual, light and refreshing scent will shock a lot of people. It's simple in its composition: basically green tea and pepper. The combination of these two notes produces something like ginger, just a bit less spicy and somewhat reminded me of CK Euphoria, just better. I can notice the anise really far in the opening and for a few minutes but couldn't smell any sweetness as I thought I could find due to the liquorice. I see it as a nice sunday fragrance, the same feeling I share with Cool water.
    After all, It's more of the same, very uninspiring.

purplebird7's avatar

Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire

Unusual amber fragrance consisting of a mix of booze, leather, and amber in equal parts, with nuances of dusty frankincense and cinnamon. It impresses me as masculine because I have known many men who have smelled like this, ever since I was a child—men wearing sweet cologne and leather coats, men with the smell of hard liquor on their breaths. I can almost hear the clink of ice cubes in the glasses of bourbon on the rocks as I hug them. Mercifully, these men do not smoke. Maybe they carry cigars in their pockets, but they do not light them. The addition of a strong smoke note would render this fragrance trite and trashy. Instead, it is clean, warm, and boozy. Ambre Russe smells like sweet rum and animalic amber. It is cuddly but tough.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Samsara by Guerlain

Sigh...I so want to love Samsara. As an oriental perfume freak, I thought this would be a slam-dunk for me. Every time I pass a tester, I spray my wrist with the hope that it will finally work on my skin. Nope. It's *almost* there, but the powdery drydown kills it for me (must be the iris). The "powder factor" is the same thing that kills Shalimar for me, too. I'm jealous of those who can pull this one off, though, as I can see how it could be amazing on the right person. It has the power to be a signature scent. I do respect it, so I'm giving it a thumbs up anyway.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Cornubia by Penhaligon's

I bought this several years ago on my first trip to London, but, sadly, later regretted my purchase. In the shop it smelled like a lovely oriental, but when I wore it again back home I noticed that it's much more floral than I like personally. The drydown is also too powdery. It is a lovely fragrance, though, just not for me. Try it if you like Chanel No 5, Samsara, Shalimar, et al.

odysseusm's avatar

Un Parfum d'Aventure by Piver

I agree with Renato: Parfum d'Adventure is a great scent, and clearly a masculine one. This is a soft cushion of gentle spice and musk -- very satisfying! Geo. F. Trumper specializes in this sort of thing but in this, Piver gives a worthy contender. This is powerful, assertive; but it has a certain suave barbershop charm. The spices are very well done, and there are hints of good wood. Now entering the comfort zone....

Oaksbluff's avatar

Rose 31 by Le Labo

starts out, to my nose, like a Rose Poivree or Voleur de Roses lite: peppery, cumin-y, and the "green" rose smell that is like a rose soap almost. I'd say like TDC or L'AP with the volume turned down.
    After a spell, hmmm, about 30 minutes, it becomes rosy white-musky with a cumin note in the background, as though it were talking audibly in another room.
    The stuff is nice, don't get me wrong. Will I fork out the TOP dollar for it again... I don't think so. Rose scents are, when done well, sublime. There seems to be this trend afoot whereby rose needs to be made spicy, or cumin'd, and quite frankly I'm over it. Get a new line folks.
    In my opinion, Montale have done rose to absolute perfection in all of their myriad Aoud collections; that, coupled with Domenico Caraceni and Czech & Speake No. 88, will be the benchmarks of classical rose perfumery.
    I'll give it a sideways thumb because, well, been there done that.

Acier Aluminium by Creed

I was not sure to expect here when I got my sample but I was intrigued. It is an oriental, that there is no doubt about. The opening is pretty "in your face" with a woody incense explosion with a helping of vanilla and something else I can't put my finger on.... It is a sparking note of some kind that really does not belong, it really throws the woodsy and vanilla notes for a loop, it's like they are all fighting for dominance.

After a few minutes the dry down occurs and not much changes in the notes other than they are not as potent as the initial blast. In fact throughout the scent life not much really changes which I actually like.

Longevity is very good for an oriental and silage is pretty good for a Creed which are all too well known for lying close to the skin and not projecting well. One thing I do like about this scent is it does not have the "Creed base" that the Millesime's do.

I have to say I don't like it however, but I am not a big oriental fan either. The notes just seem to be in a battle royal with each other to be the dominate leader in this scent rather than a tier supporting each other. Perhaps for some but not me.

14 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 August, 2008)

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

This is a beautiful scent, it really is. The opening is a tart lemon and citrus blast that is just refreshing and bright. The problem is 5 minutes later that "refreshing blast" is long gone and you are left with a very muted citrus scent that does not project off the skin. Within 30-40 minutes later the entire scent is gone, like it was never even there. I have cheap body sprays with better projection and staying power.

Thumbs up for the scent itself, it really is gorgeous. Thumbs down for the absurdly poor silage and longevity.

Orange Spice by Creed

Ugh, brutal. It smells of a really strong toilet mint. It does last forever though, in fact you will probably need Lava soap or kerosine to get it off you.

Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse by Creed

The floral notes are too strong in this one, it leans it over sharply to the feminine side of the spectrum. It does smell nice though but it should be on my wife, not me. Longevity and silage are very good.

Gold Woman by Amouage

Feels like Chanel does Ancient. Aldehydes on top of rich, complex florals and resins. Classic, will probably not appease a contemporary nose. I save this for very special events.

Narcisse Noir by Caron

Dear Caron,
    What did you do to My perfume? I used to find myself in an incense infused temple in springtime, and now I find some gas station attempt at a memory.
    what the heck?

Nuit de Noël by Caron

INTENSE. Very potent, very retro. Rich and mossy, nice structure, but I'm pressed to find an appropriate setting to wear it...

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

Smells like almond cookies dusted with sugar on some; smells like Play-Dough on others. Love the rubbery bottle.