Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Marc Jacobs by Marc Jacobs

Gardenia, dried and thrown atop pot-pourri. Does to the nose what nails on a chalkboard does to the ears.
    Much better if small amounts of lotion are applied alone.

Mauboussin by Mauboussin

Did someone bring candied fruit to mass? Like Mata Hari in a modern club, modern fruity funk in a traditional resinous base. Sounds potentially disasterous, yet pulled off so well! Lasts and lasts, too!

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Mmmmm...chocolate.
    WARNING: This stuff is VERY potent. Use sparingly! Long lasting, and has no flowers (if you have allergies), this is great for winter parties.

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

Layers upon layers of roses. If you like rose, this is a must.

Baby Doll Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

My dirty secret. I ride a Harley and play roller derby, but grapefruit and rose makes for nice daywear. Age 12 meets age 30 in a curious, yet effective twist.

Dirt by Demeter Fragrance Library

Fresh tilled soil after the rain. Suprising how nice it smells on the skin:) Not a lot of staying power...

My Queen by Alexander McQueen

Violets are easy to screw up, and this one teeters on the border. Very rich violets. I enjoy it on occasion, but definately sample before purchasing.

Quand Vient La Pluie by Guerlain

I think of early spring flowers mixed with exotic tubers and rhizomes. Something in the middle reminds me of a sasparilla mojito. Effervescent, and worth hunting down. Superb:)

Adeel499's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

Just like mix fruit candy.....A bit different stuff but definately not for me. Vanila based dry down....I don't feel any musk. Too sweet for men. Low sillage and longevity......All thumbs down for this one

Adeel499's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Truth Calvin Klein Men by Calvin Klein

To me this perfume is good for middle aged men.....But not for 25 year old like me. Nice and smooth but with low sillage and longevity. Average stuff

pasha's avatar

Samsara by Guerlain

First and foremost, this is a very well made fragrance. The notes are superbly adjusted and blended that one must admire the craftsmanship behind the intricate composition. Many people think that this is one of the most sensual feminine fragrances created, and I must agree 100%. It has all the components in it to be, or become eventually, a very warm, luscious, creamy, and sparkling scent.

It is unmistakably feminine, and very very heavy. Definitely an attention-seeker, if Samsara was a color, if could be the exact color of its bottle: a deep maroon/Venetian red. The scent is slightly decadent in its nature: because of its heaviness and boldness, and unapologetic femininity. Today, scents like Samsara or original Coco by Chanel are not being favored by the younger generations. What young girls and women do prefer now are fruity florals with woodsy bases. Samsara could be that fragrance if it was watered down by 50 % and would not rely so heavily on the slightly decadent, but very exotic ylang-ylang all that much. That being said, watering this scent down would be a crime to its soul and ultimate magnificence.

The scent opens with a heavy dose of fruits as peach and bergamot and equally overpowering and intriguing ylang-ylang. It is bold, confident, heady. Then it effectively lines up all the florals that it can in its heart, including iris, orris root, violets, narcissus, but more prominently than all the other, a combination of wet roses with rich jasmine. Now, I will say that Samsara smells kind of synthetic, and I believe that is the result of that infamous rose and jasmin marriage on top of that ylang-ylang note. It can be a little much, but like I said, this scent does in no way apologize for its confidence. The scent ends its run after many many hours with an impressive drydown that makes this combo of flowers meet with amber, vanilla, musk, sandalwood and tonka bean. That being said, the smell does not metamorphose into something completely different from the beginning: it just evolves ever so slightly. I guarantee not many noses will pick up the sandalwood near the end.

Samsara is great, and I can understand why people would be surprised with the fact that there is, for some reason, not a masculine version created of this scent since many notes in it are the usual suspects of masculine scents. This has Guerlain's stamp all over it, and like its name, Smasara has a slightly Eastern/exotic feeling to it like YSL's Opium. It is definitely remarkable, and will leave some impression and mark to the person who experiences it.

I do own a bottle: someone left it in my house and been using it in my apartment for quite a while, especially to bed while sleeping, because it has such an exotic and sensual feeling to it that I love falling asleep in this scent. But it is in no way unisex. The bottle could be one of the most beautiful bottle I have seen: so smooth and sexy, it looks like a gorgeous historic artifact almost, carved from a precious ruby with gold accents. It suits the juice and the name very well. It is sexy, bold, and worth a try if you like exotic smells loaded with luminous flowers.

Cody's avatar

Lucky Number 6 for Men by Lucky Brand

I bought two bottles of this for $4 each... I figured, at worst I can give them away as birthday gifts, but after actually trying this stuff out, I'm definitely keeping both of them! It's not an incredibly complex fragrance but it's definitely worth trying. A simultaneously sweet and spicy oriental.

Bigsly's avatar

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta

This is undeniably a high-quality fragrance, but it reinforces my notion that I just don't like strong florals, though it may just be some flowers that I dislike. I'll give this is positive rating, but if you don't like florals either, I suggest Prada for men if you seek a similar fragrance, with a dusty/powdery/soapy quality, or Mustang by Dorall if you want smokey, mossy, earthy, peppery qualities. For a gourmand incense fragrance, go for Jacomo Rouge.

Maximiliani's avatar

Philosykos by Diptyque

I am at heart quite a nature boy and have spent many hours outside. I owe this love of nature to early vacations I took when I was little, the Bahamas when I was three, and then Sanibel when I was four. I remember very little from my trip to the Bahamas, little bits and parts appear and go. What I can remember though were drinking coconut milk from coconuts that my dad would collect for me. With Philosykos, I can certainly see the coconut associations, but I'm not too sure that's entirely correct, the milky sweetness is certainly evocative, and if it really is coconut, it is a very pure and light one. I must agree with surreality about the banana-leaf note though, I would call much of the scent more evocative of the copious amounts of clear, ever-so-slightly-thicker-than-water fluid that drip from the cut leaf stems than coconut I think. I know this from tending my own potted dwarf trees and at the nursery where I work. It's sweet, but not floral and not entirely vegetative and not entirely pleasant, it's unusual. Here the milky sweet of coconut/banana-leaf and supposed figs or green tea and I get somewhat of a dry grass/hay which are all together extremely palatable. Very nice, archetypal summer in a bottle and great for both sexes (naturally). Reminds me of Hemmingway a little bit, with his tropical home. I like it a lot, but I'm unsure if my pale skin and features can pull such a nice sweet scent that begs for a Mediterranean style tan.

On an ending note, I did plant myself a sugar fig a few weeks ago, I will be comparing the scents and experiences I receive from the plant in comparison to this nice tropical (not neccesarily or entirely Mediterranean) composition.

Maximiliani's avatar

Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi

I recently became hooked on a variation of the actual drink yerbamate made by a local tea company Honest Tea. It has fast become one of my favorite drinks. Their Yerbamate has a small bit of limeade in it, which perhaps makes it so appealing, and deliciously sweet (without being bad for you, they're an awesome company) and this cologne is in many ways very, very similar.

Very pretty, I would love to smell this on girls my age (nineteen). The opening is nice and sharp, and being raised with a father who wears Guerlain Vetiver, I find myself very fond of somewhat sharp(ish) green openings. This is sweeter than it is sharp but is certainly green, but in a somewhat dry kind of way, like grass and hay, which most certainly agrees with the notes shown above. Powdery and slightly feminine it is a great gentle scent that is more meadow than chunk of grass and earth. I sense a "whiteness" about it, maybe the powder, but it is very fresh and I can agree with ludwigslady, there is a slight creamy cooked sugar/vanilla lurking somewhere in the background to my nose that kinda does remind me of creme brulee. Maybe the overall effect really is a sweetened yerba-mate drink.

Very nice, any girl or a guy with a nice tan could pull this off.

Goldaline's avatar

Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain

I bought this fragrance in the EDT strength when it was first launched in 1983. It was the first Guerlain that I ever owned. I met my husband shortly after I started to wear it, and he loved it. I subsequently moved on to other Guerlains, like Mitsouko and Jicky.... But I just bought Jardins de Bagatelle again, this time in the EDP strength. I still love it! It makes me feel very special. To me, this fragrance is essentially a tuberose fragrance, which ranks alongside the likes of the legendary and beautiful Robert Piguet's 'Fracas', and the more recently launched 'Tuberose' by the House of Caron. It has tremendous lasting power, and it is both distinctive and elegant. It never fails to draw compliments. So, next time you are at the Guerlain counter, ask for a spritz of Jardins de Bagatelle, and feel special!

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Fantastically crisp and 'light' fragrance (but not a light sense). Unfortunately on my skin I don't get much of the herbal, woody basenotes, it just sort of fades out within a couple hours. Nonetheless it's a great classic that deserves a try by everyone.

Bois d'Argent Cologne by Christian Dior

An amazing, complex fragrance that reveals something new and different about itself every time you wear it. On first wear I didn't notice sweetness, just a bold, salty, woody tobacco/iris note dominating the top notes. On subsequent wears the sweetness of the honey became more noticeable, providing a counterbalance to the iris, tobacco, and patchouli. Over a few hours the balancing accords almost meld into one lovely yet bold fragrance. Lasts FOREVER - even though a swim in the pool and a shower - easily 8-10 hours if not longer.

Now, if I could only get to a Dior Homme store to buy myself a bottle...

Pink Grapefruit by Floris

I very faithful Grapefruit fragrance... the first time I sprayed it on my girlfriend could smell it across the room - it's that strong. Lasts about 4 hours on my skin. Absolutely fantastic, but it's so... well.... grapefruity that it's not really appropriate for an office. Great for hanging out on summer days!

jalexhrovat's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I love the smell of this fragrance! I do get the pencil shavings note throughout the life of the fragrance, but I like the woodiness. It is very warm and peppery as well. Unfortunately the longevity and sillage are below par. I wear the after shave to help out in this department a little bit.
    But as far as the smell of the fragrance goes, this is a thumbs up.

14 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 19 August, 2008)

funnyboy's avatar

Black Walnut by Banana Republic

I think this is great.A balance.Not too strong,Not too sweet or too woody.Have just bought ths .blind.and think it will become a favorite.
    No hint of a flower in there and the longevity is just about right.4 to 6 hours on me.Cant wait to wear it in public to see what reaction I getI think this is an "edible" fragrance without being gourmand or sickly ,which I hate.
    To sum up...JUST PERFECT..

L by Lolita Lempicka

Wow, am I ever in the minority here! I find L to be completely unremarkeable. On me it is a light, sheer vanilla scent with just the slightest hint of something else--floral?--lurking underneath. I find it flat and boring and can think of at least five vanilla based scents that I prefer over this. Don't buy this without testing first if you like the original Lolita Lempicka fragrance--they are nothing alike.

L'Instant Magic by Guerlain

I received a tester vial of this fragrance and have thus had several opportunities to wear it before writing my review. I am a huge fan of many Guerlain fragrances, but this one left me extremely disappointed. It smells as generically pink and fruity as any drugstore scent launched in recent memory, yet it carries a hefty price tag. Lasting power is shocking--gone in under an hour. I have Body Shop fragrances that perform better. Bland and uninspiring and a big thumbs down.

Néonatura - Cocoon by Yves Rocher

Yum. This manages to be both foody-sweet and earthy at the same time. The chocolate-caramel notes develop first on my skin and then the patchouli kicks in after about 20 minutes and continues to reappear now and then as the day progresses. I really enjoy this interplay between the sweet and almost dirty notes in this. The only drawback is that this fragrance does not have exceptional lasting power, however for the price it is an interesting, relatively complex and sexy fragrance that smells precious in the same way that a lot of higher end fragrances do. Not a bad buy at all, especially during YR's sales.

dagmar's avatar

Private Collection by Estée Lauder

This is like a richer, more floral version of Alliage, which I adore. I would say that you could wear Alliage during the day, PC at night. It shares the same lovely, wet-cut-grass scent as Alliage, but with a honeysuckle/jasmine note that makes it sultry, while remaining green. Nice.

Nukapai's avatar

Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Very accurate Lancome lipstick smell (circa 1980). If I was still a full-time make-up artist, I'd probably wear this to work for the comedy value! It's a pretty smell, doesn't offend, but it's perhaps not one to make you feel particularly sensual, serious or sexy. It certainly DOES make you feel frivolous! It also reminds me of old face powder and theatre dressing rooms. Nice olfactory story!

Exeter's avatar

Cuiron by Helmut Lang

I am so angry that I missed the boat on this one. I recently got a 1mL sample and it is by far one of the most pleasant fragrances I've ever experienced. Clean and dirty at the same time. The prices for this now are absolutely ridiculous compared to what they were. I guess I'll just have to pay them...because I do like it enough to pay 80 bucks for a bottle. I put it on before going out with a few friends and I've never gotten so many compliments and so much attention from females because of a fragrance. It just oozes confidence. Sure its a bit modern but I think if it hadn't been discontinued it would eventually be a timeless classic. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to try to get this rather comely creature to quit hugging the pillow I slept on last night and get something to eat...

greengrl's avatar

Bijan by Bijan

I bought this on a whim. I was expecting to not like this perfume but was surprised at the scent that I got. It was a soft, almost soapy smell. It dries down to a nice subtle scent. Not something that I would consider remarkable but a fragrance good for everyday use.

greengrl's avatar

Bijan Wicked for Women by Bijan

I bought this perfume without sampling. It reminded me of Charlie White. It starts off a bit sharp with a bit of a metal smell and dries down to a soapy smell. Good for a summer's day. I personally prefer Bijan Woman over this one.

Doc.T 1977's avatar

Curve for Women by Liz Claiborne

This is a nice floral aquatic scent. Hints of water lily are prevelent with this one. Good scent if you just want to relax.