Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

stylerico's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I could not live without this. It is and has been for a few years "The One" fragrance I HAVE to have. I never grow tired of it. I can't stop smelling myself when I am wearing this. Sometimes I wonder why I wear anything else. To me there is nothing else like it. Very Loud at first, but when it dries, it is to die for!!

stylerico's avatar

Pal Zileri Classic by Pal Zileri

Fresh and Light. Great for the summer months. Above average staying power, but nor much sillage. Great for the office or casual dates. The various notes change as it wears down.

14 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 16 August, 2008)

sarah_halen's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

After speaking with a sales rep, I found a very interesting way to wear Dzing for those of you (female) who believe that this scent is a little too leathery, dry and has no staying power. Combine Dzing with La Chasse aux Papillons. It sounds strange and it sounds like it won't work, but it does. It smells like leather and lace and the Papillon gives it more staying power

AzulitaSola's avatar

Vanisia by Creed

I was very excited to get two carded samples of Creed's Vanisia in the mail. I dabbed the tiniest micro-speck on each wrist, waited for it to dry down, and inhaled my own personal mugging. Ye Gods! It was like snorting an Avon lady. Well, I thought, perhaps the fragrance needs to settle for twenty or thirty minutes. No, no, no. After half an hour, it was like being hit directly in the face with an oversized puff of Tabu body powder. Dry--and yet cloying--with a terrible sense of an old woman's handkerchief drawer and preserved flowers from parties half a century ago. I have mummified hay-fever. Arghhhh! This is what the room in Faulkner's "A Rose for Emily" smelled like.

Moondew's avatar

No. 5 by Chanel

I know how famous this fragrance is, but to me it's an all around putrid, old lady smell. It was made in the 20s, so that doesn't surprise me all that much. I will never understand the rave reviews.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Citrus water, rose, and pepper. Those are the dominant notes that jump out at me. I enjoy the top notes quite a bit, but the fragrance goes sour on my skin during the dry-down. Can't wear it because of this.

Burberry for Men by Burberry

I purchased this one a year ago but had only used it twice. To my nose it always smelled like some very dry lemon and honey concoction. I purchased it because of how different and unique it smelled, especially compared to all of the cookie-cutter scents out there. It's also an older, more mature "classic-type" scent, and I didn't own any of those.

So I wore this twice with no problems. And then something happened the other day. I wore this to work, only a couple of sprays as usual. A few hours into the day, this scent started becoming overbearing to my nose. I was very aware that I was wearing it, and it started making me nauseous. It even took on a different scent, and smelled more like burnt pencil shavings, which was just disgusting. I'm not sure of the exact cause for this, perhaps I had an allergic reaction to it, or perhaps my body chemistry changed within the past year, or it could even be the new soap that I am using. Whatever it is, I absolutely cannot wear this fragrance anymore. Even the thought of spraying this on myself makes me a little queasy.

Gonna have to give it the thumbs down considering it's the only fragrance that has almost made me vomit. :P

Emporio Armani He by Giorgio Armani

This is a very unique fragrance...I haven't come across anything that smells quite like this. Too bad it's synthetic as hell (like most other Armani fragrances). This is one that you just need to go and try out, because it's difficult to explain what it actually smells like.

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

I can't shake the feeling that Armani was trying to copy Burberry London with this fragrance. There's just similarities there in the individual notes/accords that I cannot describe in words by jump out at me when I sample both fragrances. Attitude comes off extremely synthetic when compared to London, however. It may sound strange, but Attitude smells like some sort of blackberry/raspberry coffee with a twist of lemon. Again, it's rather synthetic and the top notes are quite strong and overbearing. When dry-down occurs, the scent doesn't change much (if at all), however it settles down somewhat and the overbearing quality goes away. All in all, this fragrance just doesn't work. Coffee + lemon + (what I interpret to be) synthetic blackberry/raspberry = gross.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

A warm, boozy, spicy fragrance that reminds me of sitting around the fireplace during the holidays. It smells great on a test strip, however it comes off as overly spicy on my skin (cinnamon leaf). I don't enjoy wearing this, but I do enjoy sampling it from time to time.

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

A fresh, spicy oriental that opens with notes of pepper and mango. The top notes smell quite nice. As the fragrance transitions into the heart, the texture becomes creamier and coffee and nutmeg notes appear. The base gets woody, but on my skin the wood comes off as screechy and unpleasant. Because of this, I had to pass on this fragrance.

Still, it deserves a Neutral rating because of the nice top and heart notes.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

A sweet oriental with a dark, smokey tonka bean base with citrusy top notes and a dash of floral (olive flower) in the heart. Not a bad fragrance. Can become overly powdery and cloying if applied too liberally.

Brit for Men by Burberry

The opening spray is very sweet to my nose, and resembles a mixture of sugar (lots of sugar), water, baby powder, and almond. As Brit transitions into the heart notes, prominent rose and nutmeg notes appear. So far so good.

But when the wood and musk appear in the base, this stuff turns screechy and rancid on my skin. At this point the fragrance resembles Raid bug spray. Granted it takes 3+ hours to get to this point, but it becomes a total scrubber. Needless to say, it's nasty!

I will give it a Neutral rating due to the fact that the top and mid notes smell quite nice.

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

Cedar wood, white pepper, and white musk. A simple fragrance that is extremely linear and smells quite synthetic to my nose. Not bad, but somewhat bland and boring.

JaimeB's avatar

Eau de Cartier Concentrée by Cartier

A very fresh woody oriental, I would say, though a little genre-bending is evident here. I like this quite a bit, even though it's not my usual style; I think the freshness and the juxtaposition of acontextual notes is the main reason. It also helps that the persistence of the coriander helps make the drydown amazing. This is especially nice in warmer weather, but anytime I want a bit of a lift, it is a welcome break from heavier, denser concoctions. Simplicity and transparency have their charms.

lefay's avatar

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

I'm not a fan of powder, and so had my doubts about this. But it surprised me. It has both a cool, mineral austerity and a wistful, abiding depth that reminds me of L'Heure Bleu in emotional tone if not in actual olfactory similarity. Infusion d'Iris manages to be sophisticated and well mannered while hinting at something passionate and ageless. It starts out as a light slip of a thing; then incense and cedar begin to emerge and anchor the soft floral and iris notes. Quite lovely, not a mainstream fragrance, and more original and interesting than Prada's original scent.

manicboy's avatar

L'Oranger Neroli by L'Occitane

Do you want to fall in love again? Well, let's start with saying that hands down the best Neroli scent if not one of the best scents ever! Nothing comes close. What is Neroli anyway? After doing some research, it's the flower on the orange blossom tree. I once heard that it takes over 100 neroli flowers to create this juice. Whether that's true or not is immaterial. The scent opens with a tremendous green leaf and floral note. Leads you into a lush, fragrant grove somewhere in the countryside in Provence or Tuscany. Never has a fragrance transported me to another place such as this. Rose gardens pale in comparison to the majestic beauty of this. Next, the intoxicating Neroli takes over in the heart. Now this is where it gets confusing. Is Neroli supposed to be this floral? I don't know but I've fallen in love. Truly, an anti-depressant if there ever was one. Joy to the nth degree, smiling like a sunny Saturday afternoon in the summertime. Perfection at the tip of your nose. Lasts for hours on end, senses satiated at last. Walks off in batch of vanilla/tonka but still the neroli/floral lingers like a pleasant memory. It should be noted that it's an EdP, and it lives up to its name, lasting for ages upon ages. And I must add, it is quite possibly the finest scent you will sniff in your lifetime. Be glad you did because this one is utterly and incomprehensively discontinued. Must all beauty be destroyed??? Beg, borrow and steal for this. It's worth it!!!!!

Aiona's avatar

Unforgivable Woman by Sean John

I think this is the only fragrance I've tried that had cleanly separated phases. It was bizarre. At first spray, it was all alcohol-y. And then, for 30 minutes, it smelled only of pears. Just pears! Like some pear glycerin soap that I bought from Victoria's Secret once.

Then after 30 minutes, abruptly, the pears were gone. Not even a hint. Then it became a fruity-flowery-sandalwood scent. There was something gourmand about it that I couldn't put my finger on. And even something aromatic, like sage (even though I don't see it listed in the notes above). How it managed to be simultaneously fruity, florally, aromatic, and gourmand, I dunno.

Then four hours later, HORRORS! It became straight patchouli. The sandalwood was gone. The pears were long gone. Geh! Mercifully, it didn't last very long. After about 2 hours, the patchouli was gone too.

That middle part was pretty nice. If that part had stuck around longer I would have liked this one much more.

FloatingPoint's avatar

31 rue Cambon by Chanel

This is one of the best things Chanel has unleashed on the world in a long time. Perfectly blended, approachable yet mysterious, radiant, classy. It reminds me a bit of Après L'Ondée, but slightly more piquant thanks to the pepper and a touch sweeter. It's also quite feminine, but it smells so darn good that I just want to run out into the street and yell "To hell with these arbitrary gender distinctions!" and then douse myself with it. I decided to throw caution to the wind and wear this out in public today, and I swear to God some woman was following me, no doubt unable to part with the celestial aroma emanating from my person. She didn't have the courage to ask me what it was, though. I'm sure the memory will haunt her for a long time.

Lisaandtheword's avatar

Stella by Stella McCartney

The rose in this is well-done, similar to Lancome's Mille et Une. MeU faded too fast to soft spice & hardly any rose, Stella stays rosy but this composition seems too cold in feel... like modern metal chairs or a funky metal sculpture.. shiny, angular & not inviting, at least to me. I'm more a dark library w big upholstered chairs & softly gleaming wood kinda gal. Tried 3x but couldn't get comfortable.

odysseusm's avatar

Jack Black Signature Silver Mark by Jack Black

This is a powerful scent – I wouldn’t want it to be any more assertive! It presents itself as very clean and airy, and yet also bold. Definitely masculine, since it is aromatic and dry. The opening salvo has pungent lavender, peppery spices and some green herbal notes. These move into a light wood chord. If cypress is done well, it has a pleasingly haunting quality; and that is true here. My reservation is with the patchouli. It is not sweet or heavy (thankfully), but it is pungent and creates a kind of ‘fresh’ edgy quality that sometimes is a bit tiresome to my nose. I’ll give this thumbs up, but I’m not crazy about it. Actually, now that I think about it, the spices and patchouli remind me of Rive Gauche for Men. This is very much like that, I think. They both have bollocks.

Parma's avatar

Incense Rosé by Tauer

I loved Maroc, don't care for this one. I was expecting more rose, I don't smell rose at all. I do smell cedar, and...licorice, lots of licorice, like licorice candy nesting on a bed of cedar chips with orange zest squeezed on it. Doesn't smell bad exactly, I just don't want to smell like this.

wingspan's avatar

Aoud Queen Roses by Montale

All I can say is "exquisite". If you love rose this is the one. Rich, dark, and excessive! The color it evokes is deep red and the feel...velvet. The oud stays long...wear it to bed.

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Too much chocolate. To sweet. On the dry down you expect to have a little peace but pachuli with chocolate makes a syntetic note that not disturbing but not charming either. But do not listen to me as a am not a gurme scent lover. The only high calorie scent i can enjoy rarely is L from lolita lempcika.

15 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 29 October, 2009)

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

I enjoyed the anise greenness at start and the lavender drydown is modest. Not so sure to like it or to be neutral.

jrd4t's avatar

Straight to Heaven by By Kilian

When I first tried it from a sample from Luckyscent, I loved it but didn't think I'd find myself splurging for the bottle with its price tag. However, after thoroughly enjoying a couple samples and garnering more compliments in just a couple days than most other scents in the time I've had them, I decided to get it. I'm sure glad I did!

It's intoxicating and like nothing else in my wardrobe. It has some sweet rummy notes, but it's balanced very nicely with some woody and spicy notes. It dries to an almost creamy gourmand on me and provides perfect sillage without making me feel like I'm leaving a toxic wake. I've tried three of the line and this is by far my favorite.

The packaging is incredible.. some of the best I've ever seen. The interior of the velveteen wrapped box is cushioned and satin lined. The box is very sturdy and lockable and the bottle is substantial and well crafted.

One thing to note; if you buy a bottle after the March '08 lot (Mine is April), the outside of the box no longer has the metal engraved plaque that they advertise, but merely an etched K (not that this should deter you.. just for buyer information). The bottle itself still has the engraved metal plaque though.

distortech's avatar

Metal Jeans Men by Versace

When this first came out, I hands down didn't like it at all. However, upon revisiting it again after several years, I have to say it has grown on me. I think this is in large part to the fact that I got it in the dead of winter while I was staying in Illinois. Now, in the middle of winter, this would be horrendous, but, in the middle of summer (or in warmer climates), it is not bad at all!

I will concur with the others, the watermelon is what makes this stand out from the others in the genre, but the drydown of gaiac wood and amber is very similar to alot of others out there, think ADG etc...

So, on that note . . . I have to say that its good, but not great. I would advise one to buy it can be found, if not, well, I think you'll survive if you don't. Still, I am glad I have it as part of the entire Jeans collection!

distortech's avatar

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

This is certainly a citrus behemoth! Wow does the citrus last and last and LAST. I have to say that I am impressed! The top notes linger throughout the entire drydown, which is saying alot for citrus - most of us know that generally, they do not stick around long, but this definitely does. The mid of cedar is very subdued and the cedar that is used is more of a sweet scent - not too woody in the base. The part I like the most is the "ginger accord," it is a fantastic way to round it all off.

While I like this, it is no way near the same as Dior Homme - which will forever be one of my favourites. However, this one is a fine addition to the Dior arsenal. Nice.

Madamemagenta's avatar

Theorema by Fendi

Pow!! Candied oranges! Give it a few seconds...ahh. Warm, sweet ambery goodness to back it up. almost smells like a little raspberry dark chocolate in there, too. I wear it on cool summer nights. Not casual.

Madamemagenta's avatar

Stephanotis by Floris

Floral and soapy. I feel like I washed up in grandmother's bathroom (she was a classy lady). Think of it less as perfume and more of it as history in a bottle.