Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

360 Degrees for Women by Perry Ellis

Overdose of white flowers. Tin-like, metallic and chemical sensation that can be felt on the roof of one's mouth. Headache in a bottle.

Hungary Water by Crabtree & Evelyn

Based on a 1370 scent that was a gift to Queen Elizabeth of Hungary, and the first named scent with alcohol. Suspiciously like a Ricola cough drop, but in a good way. I hope they bring it back.

Jean Marie Farina by Roger & Gallet

If you look up "Eau de Cologne" in the dictionary, it will refer you to this stuff. This is what cologne smells like, behaves like. Napoleon went through gallons of this stuff each month, which should tell you something about how long it lasts. A little bracing on contact, but good for stress.

Number Six by Caswell-Massey

Spicey for its time. If you like traditional E.d.C, this will be intense. A little raw, but overall good manly scent. Prance around in a little history:)

Casma (new) by Caswell-Massey

Starts with a powdery, Christmas cookie assortment odor. Pleasant, nice quality, but doesn't hold my attention like it should.

Fantasy by Britney Spears

I want to hate this stuff on principle...but I can't quite do it. Cotton candy in a hot pink bottle screams pre-puberty. Seems to last longer than some other "kiddie" scents. Awful pricey for something I would be embarrased to wear If I was just old enough to hold a job.

multitasker's avatar

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

I am in love. This is brilliant. I have been wearing this for a few days now. It is so complex. I get so many things that are not supposed to be in here. Humor me: almond cookie; fig newton; a hint of iodine; aquatic note; mud; incense; old flowers; some sort of woody note; maybe chocolate; and mushrooms the day before they go bad. This changes and changes and changes again--and I love every moment. In the morning, after a day of wear, it has that morning-after thing going on. This scent feels so personal that I might not recognize it on someone else. LOVE, I tell you--LOVE!

multitasker's avatar

Viva La Juicy by Juicy Couture

Concentrated frozen orange juice meets pineapple upside down cake meets pine-sol. This is not as sweet as I thought it would be. Where am I getting the pine note? Maybe it's because it has a bug spray feel to me--the intensity maybe--like an 80s scent. I can almost feel that icky numb feeling on my tongue--like Off sprayed too close to my face--and the smell. I don't like this one, but it is not as bad as my associations are making it sound. This is heavy and it lingers a long time, but doesn't change much. I'm not impressed.

Adeel499's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Pi by Givenchy

According to me , Pi is totally a failure. Initial notes cause me instant headache, and then its drys down smells like cheap candy.....Although some people find it unique....but for me, its horrible.

samplermike's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Clean and sporty. The only cologne you will ever need if you had to choose. Women go crazy for this stuff.

tonysoprano100's avatar

Chile Chile

Antaeus by Chanel

Maybe Anteus is good for lot of people....but today I test it in a department store and my experience was not very good in the begining because was very feminine....When I said feminine, I imagine different ladys of 70.75, 80 years old playing domino or poker....veteran girls....
    After about 15 minutes, the scent develop other sensations on my skin, much better....strong, mysterious, masculine....but this scent is not for me, doesnt make me pleasure....I will test it 10 years more. Now, I m 30 and I prefer other good options that evoques me happyness.

tonysoprano100's avatar

Chile Chile

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

This scent is not bad, but something synthetic here, not mineral, not natural.
    Is a fresh experience with some bad component inside. Reminds me a little bit of Kouros, I m not sure....
    I will give it a neutral because I m with good humou today.....Oldfashioned and something fresh as well. I dont know what to say, but something sure: is not for me.

SirSlarty's avatar

UDV for Men by Ulric de Varens

Woody, citrus, musk. THe pyramid says it all. That's exactly what you get. The musk isn't that bad. A nice sweet musk. At least, with this fragrance, I finally figured out what an average synthetic musk is like.

SirSlarty's avatar

Worth pour Homme by Worth

The leather in this is so readily noticeable, I almost didn't think this had anything else in it. Seems to not last too, too long at least 4 hours on me. Dries down into the cedarwood and musk quite nicely. I honestly think that if you can't find Helmut Lang's Cuiron, get this. It's not as strong but it's a very good fresh leather alternative. Good!

alba's avatar

Spain Spain

Tam Dao by Diptyque

I'm a sandalwood freak, and always ready to try on new brands. The top notes in Tam Dao smell "right" to me, and I feel the comfort and coziness that sandalwood gives me. But soon an intruder comes out, an unpleasant note that reminds me of gasoline. It disappears almost completely in the drydown, but it ruins my pleasure in the scent.

Angelique Noire by Guerlain

A gorgeous gourmand that is now one of my favorites from Guerlain. Warm, sexy, elegant, this dries down to a wonderful citrus vanilla that is more sultry than sweet. On my skin it becomes warmer over time, and then develops into something akin to a skin scent, close to the body and enveloping. My generous sample is not almost gone! Wish List!!

Aoud Lime by Montale

I love lime, and was hoping the might be my aoud "gateway" fragrance, but it was not meant to be (I should have known this would not be the gentle aoud I may need to start enjoying that note from the reviews). Right off the bat I got a whiff of celery seed that persisted. Bitter, and sharp, this note is not a favorite, as I recall my mother (an excellent cook otherwise) would use it to excess, and to no good end, in several dishes. There is lime, too, but an oily lime, not fresh and sparkling. Lime leaves or pith, not zest. And then there's the salt... Not to my taste.

Fig & Vetiver by Anthousa

One of my first "niche" purchases, and certainly my first very smart fragrance buy (though I didn't know it at the time!) Inexplicable Fig and Vetiver was at my local TJ Maxx, alone and unboxed. I loved the ombre bottle with that milky sea green at the bottom, and after a quick spritz I was hooked. I think I got 50 ml for about 10 dollars. I still love it, my bottle is still beautiful, and though I don't wear it often, I wear it with love. The fig and vetiver are such a potentially disasterous combo to me (could come off too sharp or green), but this is a lovely and well balanced fragrance. I agree with Taolady-it's downright creamy. No sharp edges, but sophisticated and a little dry. Beloved.

Ichnusa by Profumum

Exceptionally green and aromatic, Ichnusa reminds me of walking through the indoor/greenhouse section of Longwood Gardens (Pennsylvania). Vital and serene, it's an original that is perfectly wearable. Outstanding.

Coney Island by Bond No. 9

Weird and wonderful. A strong citrus accord runs through it that is hard to characterize. Certainly it's lemony, but it's more like a cohesive lemon plus brisk salt air! I just LOVE this. It's so compelling that after a day of testing at Saks and Nieman's this is one of only two fragrances that really stood out, and that I kept going back to sniff on my wrist. Certainly not for everyone. It's just too strange, but the justaposition of that citrus accord with the gourmand notes is tantalizing, compelling, and very beautiful. It was actually fairly linear on my skin, and lasted hours and hours at full steam ahead! It's not only on my wish list, but on my MUST HAVE list.

Clean Sweet Layer by Clean

Almost identical to Fresh's Lemon Sugar, which I love. The lemon, the caramel, the vanilla, the sugar...it's all there! Though the scent is lovely I can't give it more than 2 stars because it's just a copycat. Completely lacking in originality.

Usher for Women by Usher

An overly sweet fruity floral. As my daughter would say, "mommy, it's been done before, and better!" She's right. She's 12.

Kaern's avatar

Opôné by Diptyque

I actually was unable to wear this outside. It's just too pungent -- I'm not sure the saffron compliments the rose very well for a skin perfume. It's very pot-pourri -- a lovely smell (for the house maybe). CDG's White has similarities but is much more wearable (i.e. it won't knock you over) and superior in every aspect.

jagmartini's avatar

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I'm not crazy about Opium, yet I keep going back to it. My "mini" is a lifetime supply--if applied sparingly I get compliments. If I over do it, my girlfriend wrinkles her nose and insists I smell like her grandfather, not her boyfriend.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Parfum Sacré by Caron

I have a small partial bottle of the EDT and I agree totally with Purplebird7. This is so beautiful when it first goes on, but I can't really enjoy it as much when that black pepper note kicks in. At first I was thinking that the problem may have been something in the make up of the EDT and was about to purchase a a bottle of the EDP, however, after I read Purplebird7's review it made sense that it was a pepper note that I was having a problem with. I keep wanting to push it out of the way so I can enjoy the other notes. I can respect that the perfume's creator made a creative choice to add this note, and judging from all of the positive reviews, it works for a lot of people. It just doesn't work for me.

UPDATE: Since first trying this in a mini EDT a couple of years ago, I have since received a full bottle in EDP and have been wearing it off and on for the past year and a half. I have to say that this has really grown on me. While I still don't care for the peppery note, it doesn't last long enough to ruin the entire thing for me. Instead I just waited it out long enough to enjoy the essence of the perfume which is the woody and slightly powdery incense. I also wanted to experience the pure parfum form so I ordered a (very expensive) 1ml vial from The Perfume Court. While the parfum is beautiful, I would say that it is only slightly richer than the readily available EDP, so don't go crazy trying to acquire it...the EDP is very rich and long-lasting. I no longer feel neutral about this since I often find myself wearing it 2 and 3 days in a row. I'm changing my ratining to a big thumbs up!

15 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 18 March, 2010)

funnyboy's avatar

Toujours Moi by Dana

Bought the eau de cologne as my Mum used to wear this fragrance in the 70's when it was made by Corday.
    A big difference now ,as I still have some in the original refillable bottle which was an EDP.
    This new version is much sweeter.Smells like an Indian oil to me.Definately a sweet musk drydown compared to the original,which was more of a distinctive chypre ,Very long lasting for an EDC but you can tell this has none of the original expensive ingredients.Suitable for those on a budget as an evening fragrance possibly the over 50's age group.

Larry D's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

It is definitely dirty, but in a good way. The dry down makes me imagine some kind of personified soil that just took a bath. Its opening is very citrus, and then as it dries down you smell these beautiful, earthy wood notes that smell unlike any I've smelled. I know some don't see anything special about Dirty English, but to me this is a very unique fragrance. I can picture many women enjoying this one too. Thumbs up.

newgabe's avatar

Cabochard by Grès

My new best friend! After the inital, misleading leafy blast, it quickly settles to a delicious, evocative, natural feeling, dry, almost musty aura that leaves my clothes smelling so familar and comfortable, I don't even want to wash them. This is the reliable friend- perfum I've been searching for. Layers well with vetivers too, like Guerlain's, Boucheron Homme or Chanel Sycomore. In fact I am thinking of buying one of those huge (expensive) bottles of Sycomore just to repear that trick over the long term. I bought two bottles of Cabochard .. they are so cheap, why not!

newgabe's avatar

Prada (new) by Prada

I ought to like this as I love real amber. But this has been a great disappointment. The chemical melony introductory top note turns my stomach. The reference to Angel is understandable.. though somehow despite the odds I have some use for Angel. With Prada though that nauseous chemical note continues far too long to be bearable (sometimes introductory tops do have to be endured to get to the delicious... as in Cabochard); then the base notes are too sweet and vague to be interesting. For me, a scrubber. Anyone want to swap?

Zhara8's avatar

Sira des Indes by Jean Patou

Rich sweet floral, no matter the claims of gourmand accords, the opening is all classic Patou.

However, in the process of drydown, towards the middle and finish - I swear it's the aroma of an ice cream parlor. Not just the fragrance of ice cream alone .... it's the fragrance of the whole entire parlor: fruit, marshmallow whip, sparkling clean floors, over-working a/c, everything is there.

Vanilla is here, oh yes, but so definitely an ice cream vanilla - it's chilly! how can Patou convey temperature? I can only guess.
    And the fruit....these are not the ripe, heavy bananas flecked with brown from the top of your kitchen counter, nor are these the classy caramelized delicacies found in a Bananas Foster. Instead these are quite indeed the fresh, perhaps even slightly green, chilled, subdued, bananas of an ice cream split. Other fruits mix in, with the florals still shouting quite loudly, making the banana even less prominent. But they are there.

Between the heavy floral notes, the icy cold fruit, chilly vanilla, and the hints of mildest white musk anchoring things, a more appropriate name for this fragrance would be "First Date at the Ben & Jerry's". Which is actually a compliment. A great summer scent, very fun.