Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Vanilla Lust by Jill Stuart

I love vanilla, and this is outstanding. I get a lot more than vanilla extract from it, though it IS very sweet and foody. The caramel note complements the vanilla perfectly. Most caramel notes smell very synthetic to me, but this one is just right--buttery, sugary and creamy. The confectionary doesn't stop there! Add a very rich Madagascar vanilla, a bit of bourbon, a touch of musk, and a hint of ripe mulled coconut that threads its way through the progression of the fragrance. Sounds like a pretty great recipe, except for the musk! A foody/gourmand delight for those who like that sort of thing. (Like me!)

L'Ete en Douce / Extrait de Songes by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I must agree with Tovah. This is an absolutely gorgeous fragrance; fresh, green, charming, happy, playful, summery, perfect.

Drôle de Rose by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Though rose is not one of my top ten favorite notes, this fragrance is charming. It's got a bit of baby lotion accord, which is not overpowering or even dominant, as well as a muted violet, and both balance out the rose. I would not call this a 'rose-centric' fragrance, and maybe that's why I like it. Very soft with absolutely no sharpness or hard edges. A cuddly rosey-ish pillow of silky fluff!

valentinamaltese's avatar

Sublime Balkiss by Different Company

Very feminine, sligtly fruity and very floral. It's very fresh and sweet but has great personality. Though it's not in the "official" notes list I smell some orange flowers in it.

memechose's avatar

Tango by Aftelier

I a of Argentine heritage and I assure you Ms. Aftelier brialliantly captures, the dualities of Buenos Aires culture, remote yet cosmopolitan, intellectual and raw, but this is a street tango, less precise but most captivating.

I cannot compare this to any other scent ever created. It is composed of all natural ingredients and there were no shortcuts. It stands alone as does its creator.

I see the cafes, the poverty, the colors, the passion every time I wear this, tears well.

Yo Quiera
    Gracias, Mandy!!!

Tony T's avatar

Japanese Cherry Blossom by Bath and Body Works

a very lively and rich scent. girls and women love as i feel it has a universal smell. this, love speel and pear blossom are top of the line cheap scents that are welcome to all ages and races.

Tony T's avatar

Burberry Summer for Men by Burberry

the best burberry imo. one of the better summer scents second to aramis's bermuda tonic. refreshing and long lasting masculine and clean with a bit of spice and floral. unique and uplifting in everyway.

6opar's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

For me this one does not have an identity. It is not unique, nor special. The fig gives the fragrance a fresh (though synthetic) touch, there is coconut which makes it sweet ( and i like sweet scents), but it is weak and my skin inhales it entirely. On me MJFM does not last long - maybe an hour. Neutral.

surreality's avatar

Dunhill Pursuit by Dunhill

A nice citrusy vetiver scent. In the top notes I smell mandarine and lemon in addition to the vetiver. There is a floral note (lavender?) in the heart that lends a dryness to Pursuit once the citrus top notes leave the scene that seems to work well with the bright vetiver. The dry down is a slightly musky wood.

Pursuit lasts about 4 hrs on my skin before it needs refreshing. Overall, a good but not great vetiver, but one that is worth trying if you are in the market for a summer fragrance..

MFJ's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

Compared to the Original and Extreme versions, Soir is much more complex. Floral and woody notes are what one would probably notice most in Soir. Another prominent feature is the slightly soapy and creamy white musk (very similar to the one in CK Be), that gives Soir its smooth texture. The spices, tea and citrus play a much subdued role in this composition.

02 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 05 November, 2009)

djolney's avatar

Silver Black / Onyx by Azzaro

When smelling many fragrances it is easy to visualize the ingredients that contribute to the scent, but Silver Black inspires more than an image of what is in the bottle: between the black shadows stretching down from a mountain and the silver shimmer of sunlight on a sea are a patchwork of orchards, gardens, groves, and wilderness, and Silver Black is the scent of this living vista. It is a fragrance that captures the essence of a place, and I wonder if this place might have been where Loris Azzaro spent his formative years.

Silver Black opens with sweet green apples, bergamot, and lemon, and the sweetness and citrus quickly find a happy medium. In the middle caraway and coriander combine to create an interesting and enjoyable heart, which makes me want to smell caraway in more fragrances. Silver Black rests on a base of cedar and musk that effectively supports both the middle and top notes without overwhelming their character.

Green apples, caraway, and cedar does not sound like the most interesting combination around which to build a fragrance, but I commend the perfumer for creating such a substantial, engaging, and soothing fragrance.

Baie de Genièvre by Creed

Very interesting! I think the person who said "smells like the inside of a pencil sharpener" had it right, almost. It is such a complex scent, in my opinion. Mix the pencil sharpener with Juniper and I think that'd be the best way to explain it, but really, I think it goes a bit deeper than that.

Bois du Portugal by Creed

I'm impressed! Going along with the Creed stereotype I have developed, this scent is sophisticated and classy. The cedar, the lavendar, and maybe a little orange is what I get out of this one. They all seem to come together into a candy-like scent.

The dry down is even better! It turns into this very masculine scent with just a touch of fruitiness to it. A real winner for me!

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

Just wow! I wasn't sure what to expect... I read the reviews of rubber and car parts and thought that this couldn't really be that great. It is more than great, it's awesome! I'm trying to pinpoint what it is that I'm smelling... could it be cedar and vanilla? It's a lot like I'm walking through a warehouse where cedar is being cut on one side, and vanilla is being pressed on the other side. I like it, alot.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

It's a very clean smell after the dry down, but starting out it smells like I just applied the Bath & Body works Cucumber & Melon lotion. The Bergamot stands out, as does the melon note. At some point it smells like I just walked into a humidor. This is probably better suited for an older man... with gray hair.

Orange Spice by Creed

I was hoping for more out of this one. This smells like a bathroom, and I mean that with the utmost respect. When I say bathroom, I should clarify and say that it smells like a clean bathroom which has plenty of air fresheners in it. I do smell the orange, and the spice, but this one doesn't lite my fire. If you think you like this then try Royal Delight, which is much more classy, has a slight spice, but smoothes out everything with a little vanilla.

Royal Delight by Creed

This is unlike anything else I've ever smelled before. Honestly, when I first took a whiff I was thinking it had the aroma of a port-o-potty that had about 50-air fresheners in it, but I found myself searching it deeper and WOW! I can't get enough of it... It is a very classy fragrance... worn to a formal dinner with a lovely lady is where I see this one. I've only tested it for a short time, but I'm so impressed with it that I'll be purchasing it shortly.

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

Whoa! Watch out! This scent is just appalling... if you've ever walked into a place by the beach where the door is left open for the salt air to come in and get stale, then you know what this fragrance smells like. I guess it's for some people, but not for me.

johnw's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

New at reviewing frags, bear with me please ...

There is a certain "class" of smells Cool Water represents, and while I cannot, nor wish, to define the individual components of it, I characterize it as: dark, metallic, sharp. Call it blue, call it purple (but not "cool water"). It reminds me of my Realm deodorant (and hence what the Realm line must in general smell like). Only, I prefer the Realm to the Cool Water, not to mention, Realm posesses the added (placeboic) benefits of human pheros. CW isnt bad after many hours on, but enduring the initial bulk of its not very coolness is beyond me. No, this stuff reminds me of department store smells--a quik trip to Bllomingdales or Macys for an 11th hour "solution" to pre-first date jitters.

Heure Exquise by Annick Goutal

Of all the Annick Goutal scents that were available when I visited one of the shops in Paris, this was the one that I chose for myself. It is truly beautiful, a bit nostalgic but not sad. Unfortunately, as with all the fragrances from this line, it does not last with me.

Bijan by Bijan

Thanks to all who reviewed this perfume! This is one of the "Big Eighties" perfumes that I just don't understand. It's nice (my sister...younger...loved it), but it is not at all memorable.

Boucheron by Boucheron

Another one of those "Big Eighties" (REALLY BIG) scents! It is powerful, long lasting and complex. From the notes in this, I should really like it, but it is ALL perfume and no heart.

No. 5 by Chanel

I had not smelled No 5 since my grandmother's death in 1970. This was her favorite, but I had not given it much thought until I was thumbing through "Perfumes: The Guide". I rushed online and ordered the EDT, EDP and parfum from the Chanel website. When my package arrived, I quickly sprayed the EDP and suddenly was taken back in time. In spite of the reformulations, I immediately recognized that beautiful scent! No "old lady" smell, no pretense of the eighties, just a wonderful, bright floral that could go to a grand wedding or to a baseball game. If you have never tried it (which I would find hard to believe if you are on this site), please do. It's perfect! It has just enough sillage to be pleasant but not overpowering. And it stays with me for a few hours which is unusual except for some very loud fragrances. Thumbs way up for this one!

Mitsouko by Guerlain

Where have I been all my life? I have been a Guerlain girl since the sixties when a little Guerlain cologne went a long way. But, until recently, I had never experienced Mitsouko. Did I try it and not like it? Did I try it and then forgot about it? Not likely! This is serious perfume. This is something like no other. Every time I wear this, I detect something new. One day I smell ripe peaches; another day I love the bergamot or the spices or the woodsy oakmoss. I embrace the jasmine, even though I am not a fan of flowery perfume. This is my "go to" girl. I wear this anywhere and everywhere. I have searched for another chypre that rivals this one. I have been to Dior and I love Diorella. I am learning to love Cristalle. (My goal is to grow up and appreciate Chanel, but I'd better hurry.) But Mitsouko remains my favorite. If you think that you don't like Mitsouko, try the EDP. It is so much richer and fuller than the EDT.

Shalimar by Guerlain

I am a Guerlain girl and Shalimar is the reason. This is really a simple perfume, especially by today's standards. Citrus, spice, vanilla...and the Guerlain magic! I have searched for another like this, because Shalimar was a part of a sad time in my life. Samsara is nice but loud.(If I want a nice loud Shalimar, I reach for Giorgio's Red. It's nice and loud and inexpensive). I haven't tried Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan yet, but I bet that it is no Shalimar. So after many years of searching, it is back to Shalimar. The new reformulation is different than the original, not quite as rich yet somehow deeper.

Odalisque by Nicolaï

This is one of the most beautiful floral/chypre perfumes I can think of. Parfums de Nicolai references muguet...and I do detect that...but this is not an "old lady" floral. It is moody but not sad like Apres L'Ondee. It is mysterious but not outragiously so like Bandit. It stays with you for a reasonable amount of time, but it is not loud in any way. The drydown smells of woods and incense. The opening notes remind me of Spring and the closing notes remind me of Autumn. How perfect is that! PS I regret to report that the "new" Odalisque in the large bottle is a ghost of its former self. It is a lateral leather...period. There is no bright top note, no salty oakmoss middle note and no incense drydown. The old was a masterpiece; the new is a ho hum yawn.

02 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 November, 2009)

Rive Gauche by Yves Saint Laurent

I wore Rive Gauche when it first was introduced, and believe me, the new version is not "it", not even close! This is the only fragrance on any of the Turin & Sanchez best lists with which I find fault. The new reformulation is horrible. Period. PS Now I understand why Calandre smelled so familiar to me when I first tried it recently. It's more like Rive Gauche than Rive Gauche! Do yourself a favor. Buy Calandre!

02 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 07 September, 2009)

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

This is a very rich, sophisticated combination of citrus & woods which would work for anyone, anywhere. Yet, in spite of it's reputation for lasting a long time, this is "Gone in Sixty Seconds" with me. I wish that was not the case with this line, because I like most of the fragrances (they are complex) and would purchase them frequently if they had more staying power.

Jicky by Guerlain

Where do I begin when the different concentrations of Jicky don't seem related? The EDT is the brightest citrus; the EDP is the best lavender; and the pure parfum is pure Guerlainade! I love them all in spite of the fact that the EDT last about 20 minutes; the EDP lasts about 30 minutes; and the pure parfum last about 45 minutes. Normally, I would give up and try something else, but this stuff is wonderful! I spray the EDT on my pillow and I spray the EDP on myself. I'm in love with this Jicky guy, but I only wish that he would stick around longer.

Insolence Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

Insolence is a cheerful L'Heure Bleue with raspberry over, under & sideways notes. It is sweet yet bold...and I like it! My husband gave this to me as a gift and I was a little unsure at first until I wore it for the first time and received lots of compliments. Yes, people can smell you coming, but they seem to like what they smell! The iris and violets tone down the raspberry to a wearable fragrance. This is for those happy, carefree days (or days that you would like to feel carefree).

02 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 03 September, 2009)