Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

highlandlassie's avatar

Occur! by Avon

Way back in the late sixties this was a very popular perfume,pity they took it off it was a sexy perfume.You could also buy it in a solid form.

15 August, 2008

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Unforgivable Woman by Sean John

I disliked this perfume immediately after applying it .It has staying power and it would not go away. It has some weird twang in it that did not agree with me .

15 August, 2008

KiatBkk's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

Although a bit let down by the longevity department, Chanel pour Monsieur is a true cologne for a gentleman. It reminds me of London in 1950s, with white men wearing suits and ties and a pair of sparkling brown leather shoes. The weather is warm, sunny, but the atmosphere is slightly dim. The photos on the wall are of black and white, and tobacco smoke overcrowding the coffee cafe. This is what Chanel pour Monsieur gives to my vision.

purplebird7's avatar

Eau Fraîche by Christian Dior

Eau Fraiche--the name implies citrus and herbs, right? Right. And that is exactly what I smelled upon first application. I am picky about lemon scents and prefer orange, so at this point I was unimpressed. I thought that was all it had to offer. But no, I was wrong! What came next was a surprising leather phase that was not rude and animalic but smooth and suedey, like the leather in Jolie Madame. However, no vanilla creaminess followed, as it does in Jicky. The Dior fragrance remained clear. On the whole, this fragrance was short-lived. It is remarkable because it stands out from the rest of the "fresh" genre due to that clever base. Anyone looking for a lemon scent shouldn't overlook this one. Very nice.

purplebird7's avatar

Ambre Précieux by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

A classy, well-balanced amber with woody notes of lavender and myrtle. This perfume is so well-behaved on me that it blends beautifully into a warm, sweet, skin scent. It is avoids becoming overly sweet, yet it never veers too far into masculine territory with leather or herbal notes. It is wonderful for a straight amber scent—as close to being "plain" while still being complex, skillfully crafted and smooth, but quiet.

Suppressor's avatar

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

This could be a unisex fragrance.
    Very feminine to me.
    Could be a good attention getter with the girls.
    I won't buy it.
    Although my first impression (first 15 minutes), I was convinced I would buy this someday. But no thanks.

HORACIO GONZÁLEZ's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Passion for Men by Elizabeth Taylor

I DON`T UNDRSTAND WHY BAD TGHINGS ARE SAID ABOUT THIS EXCEPCIONAL FRAGRANCE! I LIKE IT VERY, VERY NUCH INDEED! I`M SORRY IT`S DISCONTINUED AND WORSE MRS TAYLOR IS NOT SO WELL, VERY SORRY!
    THIS PERFUME IS MISTERIOUS, FRESH, SWEET AND UNIQUE!
    HORACIO

Kahuna Cowboy's avatar

Cool Water Deep by Davidoff

There is nothing "deep" about this cologne, it smells cheap and has really poor longevity. The original Cool Water is 10x the cologne of this one.

moreda's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Noir by Christian Lacroix

There is nothing NOIR about it.
    is not a bad sent at all.... but it doesn't give what it promises.

There is a fresh and bit oily opening..i would say green/orange insted of noir. the drydown remindes me of kenzo pour homme, maybe because of the cedar that satys forever on my skin. It is waterd somehow... i dont smel a concentration of the woody oils that are mentiond at its basenotes.
    It is not a bad scent, but i wouldn't say great either

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Charlie / Charlie Blue by Revlon

When i was a child one of my mothers friend, a showy lady when compared to my mom, used to wear it. Then she gifted a bottle to my mom and i thought it was a treasure about being showy. Everyone did not wear it here; it was produced so far away and goverment did not used to let luxury things like perfumes to be imported by then. Now i bought one online as it is not still on sale here. It is even nicer than i remembered. A powdery aldehydic jasmine; very wearable after so many years.
    With the musk base shares the same trick with alien, infusion d'iris. the flower changes sambac iris and jasmine but aldehyde to musk or amber has something common. A proved to be successful template. Of course charlie does not have the shining quality of the other two.
    Any way charlie is showy and sexy. In many instances cheaper dresses are more sexy than the designer ones.

SirSlarty's avatar

cK one Summer 2006 by Calvin Klein

Fresh. Nice. Light. ck One with the citrus turned up. Like other summer fragrances, fades quickly but it's still amazing.

SirSlarty's avatar

Eternity Summer for Men 2007 by Calvin Klein

My least favorite Summer... but it's not totally terrible but it is on the heavily synthetic side. Does hold true to the greenness of the original Eternity but with the jasmine turned up a bit. Light and airy like the other Eternity Summer offerings, I tend to wear this one when I get bored.

Bigsly's avatar

Open by Roger & Gallet

For me it was more floral than woody, but that might be what some call "soapy" in this fragrance. I do get the peppery/smoky qualities too. It's quite mossy, similar to Francesco Smalto in that way. I no longer find these fragrances very appealing, but this is certainly a quality one, especially for the prices I've seen it sell for.

Gaggia by Santa Maria Novella

A very aromatic, almost (but not quite), mentholated floral. I usually don't like 'aromatic ring' type scents, but this one is very pretty, with a nice balance of spice, bergamot, florals, and base notes. I think I need to do more investigation, as I am not very familiar with this line. Wheeeee!

Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

This fragrance reminds me of the wet banks of a little stream. On the banks you can discover exposed roots, leaves in various stages of decay and rot, fresh green and tender blades of grass peeking up in spots that aren't too tamped down, dried twigs, green and supple shrubs, and even a few wildflowers, like blue-eyed grass and wild iris. Not to mention the organic and metallic smell of beetles, and the warm breath of a child. It's just beautiful, and (can you tell?) simultaneously paints a picture and pulls up a memory for me. It's a little bittersweet heart-achey, but I'm glad I have a sample!

L'Autre by Diptyque

A curry dish, with cardamom (not enough), coriander (too much), cumin (way too much), pepper, cinammon, clove, ?saffron, and probably other spices. It comes out hot and strong and burns my nose a bit if I sniff too hard. Not a problem if it was my chana masala dish, but it's a fragrance, and I want to smell good! This isn't good.

Fougères Marines by Montale

Breathtaking. I really can't add much to the other reviews, but because I found this scent quite by accident (it was in a large purchase of samples on eBay) I'm so delighted that I love it! Sea spray, salt air, gulls crying above--this is a delightful hardy marine scent. I picture a cool Fall day, bright and sunny, the sky as blue as cornflowers, and I'm on a boat fishing. The wind is off the land, bringing with it an herbaceous, scrubby accord. Every breath I take is fresh and invigorating. Suuhhhweeeet!

Black Tie by Washington Tremlett

A rather innocuous albeit very wearable fragrance. Quite unisex I think, with a strong floral heart, a bit of spice, and a quickly reached base. Not terribly original smelling on my skin, though tolerably pleasant, and I think it might smell a whole lot better on someone with different skin chemistry--more testosterone? Not sure. After an hour poof! Black Tie was gone.

Filles des Iles Golden Floral / Floral Solaire by Filles des Iles

A sunny, warm, aromatic floral, that is so summery and soft, it feels like Celine Elena has indeed captured the essence of a warm breezy day at the beach. Not with marine or salty or sandy notes, but with the pure clean exuberance of this fragrance. An upturned open sunny face that delights in possibility. Optimism, youth, light--they're all here. Well done!

Tony T's avatar

Fuel For Life pour Femme by Diesel

very strong willed scent. the pepper and blackcurrant do the trick. not for every woman. sort of like michael, not in smell but for strong willed independant women.

GreekJohn's avatar

Greece Greece

Vintage by John Varvatos

THIS IS A MASTERPIECE.
    I've been looking around for a gentleman's scent and I am absolutely positive I have found it in the face of John Varvatos Vintage.
    Top contenders among this one was Comme des Garcons 2 Man, Creed Bois du Portugal, Montale Royal Oud, Montale Greyland, Viloressi Piper Nigrum, Azzaro pour Homme, Givenchy Genteleman, Guerlain Vetiver and Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan (there were others also but swiftly rejected). While all of them were quite good in their own right, none of them "clicked" with me like John Varvatos Vintage did. I put my wrist near my nose, looked in the mirror and smiled knowingly. It was the first time I felled a personal connection with a scent. I wanted to smell like that, I wanted to to be everything this fragrance was inspiring to me. This was pleasant, masculine, noble, modern and most importantly effortlessly so. Not perfumey, not "try-hard" and impressively natural. I was sold.

This is nothing like the original John Varvatos. This uses more traditionally masculine and familiar notes that lend a gentlemanly feel to the fragrance and make it smell very natural, in contrast to the original John Varvatos which does have a mild synthetic character and is more of a youthful, sensual winter fragrance. Vintage feels it can be worn all-year round and any time of the day without being inappropriate provided your attire and personality is matching. However, there are much more fitting fragrances for certain occasions like when wearing a tuxedo or being by the beach in the summer heat which I think is completely understandable. The top is dominated by rhubarb (which smells like sweet watermelon juice) while the dry-down is dominated by tobacco. In my opinion these are two scent notes that one should take into account his feelings towards when contemplating buying this cologne blindly. In my opinion, both smell absolutely wonderful.

THIS IS A MASTERPIECE not for some groundbreaking originality but for masterfully achieving what it set out to do in the first place and that is evoking the essence of the modern-day gentleman playboy.
    Pure inspiration for its wearer.

funnyboy's avatar

Cristobal pour Homme by Balenciaga

Love this fragrance.It is sweet but definately not sickly.I wish it would last a while longer as I find for an edt it is very weak
    The lasting part is the vanilla on my skin which is very delicate.Nice for a summer evening.Someone said I smellled of candyfloss!!

stylerico's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

Very intimate tone. Goes on light and does not change much. It doesnt have to. Stays with you a very long time and has a strong but not over powering sillage. Great for romantic dates. Gives of an aire of power. Woodsy and Peppery. Love it.

stylerico's avatar

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

Works very good with me. Has a sophisticated aroma. Reminds me of an exclusive mens club, with leather chairs, smoke filled room (Pipes), and vintage books. I noticed a hint of fruit deep in the back ground. Very good staying power as well as sinnage.

xistrot's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

I'm new to perfumes and was trying out a couple of them. Tried the ones that most large stores were pushing (Polo Ralph Lauren, CK, Hugo Boss, etc) and did not like any one of them. There was something common from them which I did not enjoy. I eventually settled on Dunhill by Aldred Dunhill (the one from 2003) for a while, but after using it for a couple of months, I wanted to try something new.

Then I chanced upon Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme and wow, what a breath of fresh air. I knew nothing about it before I smelled it and after a whiff of it I bought it immediately. Little did I know that this was an old fragrance which is a shame really. I wish more fragrances smelled like this.

Since I'm knew to perfuming I don't have the vocabulary to describe this exceptional fragrance. All I can say is that it relaxes me and makes me feel good when I smell it. It smells 'sophisticated' and does not at all smell like a generic perfume.

jaideepc's avatar

India India

Amitabh B pour Homme by Amitabh Bachchan

Excellent, value for money perfume for everyday office use.

pasha's avatar

Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier

Its beauty almost brought a tear to my eye.

And that name... my God, what a name! The kiss from a golden dragon indeed.

16 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 November, 2010)

Shaheen's avatar

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

Reaction opens with light and lively green apple & watermelon notes. Very fruity, smooth, and candy-like. Unlike many fruity fragrances, this doesn't smell all that synthetic either. So far, so good!

Now wait about...oh....30 minutes. Those wonderfully fruity top notes have almost completely faded, and all that's left behind is a bland and boring watery musk and sandalwood.

Now wait another 30 minutes......

WHERE THE **** DID IT GO?!?

Kenneth Cole should have named this fragrance "Oblivion."

Still, I must give this a Neutral rating, because I do enjoy the top notes quite a bit.

16 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 24 February, 2011)

JaimeB's avatar

Hugh Parsons (Blue) by Hugh Parsons

A refreshing, masculine, tonic fragrance. it is characterized by spicy and green/herbal notes, with citrus and fruit in the top note and a woody-ambery base. I first encountered this scent a few years ago and took it on a trip to Hawaii with me. At that time, I was very struck by the juniper, angelica and spice notes, which along with the citrus, put me very much in mind of gin and tonic. Ever since that time, I have always associated this scent with the Islands and with the cocktail hour. I think these are pretty good associations for a fragrance, so I can't help but think highly of it.

17 August, 2008

JaimeB's avatar

Calèche Fleurs de Méditteranée by Hermès

A limited edition, this is a beautiful composition based on mimosa, rose, and jasmine with beeswax absolute and heliotrope. The mimosa's floral note is slightly green, lending a bit of freshness to this rather rich fragrance; the beeswax gives depth and a gently animalic touch, while the heliotrope contributes the gourmand redolence of almonds and cherry pie. It is definitely an opus of elegance and style, deep and reassuring. Ellena's genius for making a great deal of a minimal set of ingredients is amply evident here.

17 August, 2008