Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

scentimus's avatar

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

One touch of RED and you have it all -
    the spirited elegance of Beverly Hills. Rich. Refined. A bit unpredictable and completely irresistible.

RED. Nothing so invisible was ever so exciting. Only Giorigio Beverly Hills could have created it.

Zerby's avatar

McGraw by Tim McGraw

I lost all FAITH in this cologne. Smells like everything else out there. I'll take Aramis 900 over this any day. This is money well worth wasted.

purplebird7's avatar

Givenchy III by Givenchy

What a nice surprise it is to find an old-school green Chypre re-issued. I must assume that the formula was changed to compensate for oakmoss (and/or other) restrictions. Still, it emerges relatively unscathed. Notes are as follows:
    Top: aldehydes, galbanum, peach bergamot
    Middle: gardenia, jasmine, jonquil, carnation, rose, lily, orris
    Base: amber, patchouli, oakmoss, myrrh, vetiver, castoreum
    On the whole, I like Miss Dior better, and so I wish it the same luck with its reformulation. Givenchy III is soapier and less sweet. It opens with an unmistakable blast of galbanum plus a big slug of aldehydes. Then it moves quickly into a pleasnat spicy floral accord with peach floating overall. As it wears, it displays the delightful, drastic development of this genre, moving gradually away from sharp, green top notes toward its smooth amber base. The addition of vetiver makes the base tangy and clear, rather than sweet and full of labdanum. If Miss Dior was too heavy, earthy, and sweet for you, give the cleaner, more sparkling green Chypre of Givenchy III a try.

Aiona's avatar

Jolie Madame by Pierre Balmain

What a sweet smell! I'm not big on florals, but this one is *not* a fruity-floral. It's just a floral to me. It opens much like Norell-and-other-70-like's fragrances (even though I see this one came out in 1953), with bergamot and something. . . maybe it's galbanum? So that first hour or so doesn't much distinguish itself from other perfumes. But after that hour, it becomes quite flowery, but not the irritating white flowers that I hate so much in heavy ones like Carolina Herrera by Carolina Herrera. It's some kind of light floral. Maybe lily of the valley? With something honeysuckle-like, but it can't be honeysuckle. Maybe it's the violet people mention in other reviews. In any case, I actually like it, which is rare for me (usually a floral hater). If I had to wear a floral, this might be one I would choose.

Aiona's avatar

Le Dandy by D'Orsay

At first it was all pineapple-y! But that only lasts seconds. Then it becomes a very sweet, vegetable (carrot?), rum, caramel scent. I'd almost liken it to a caramel sweetness. But again, that doesn't last long either! Maybe 3 hours of sweetness. Then it dries down to a musky, cinnamon-y smell, with a musky vanilla base that reminds me of Le Male. After the top-notes of pineapple subside, it's really a lot like Femme de Dandy (for women). Femme de Dandy is a bit more floral, whereas Le Dandy is definitely FOODY. It's a foody-fragrance. Yum!

Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

To me, it doesn't really smell like 'Fleurs d' Oranger, rather like pure BLACK TEA. Especially the dry down irresistibly resembles of Ceylon tea. Slightly less synthetic than Daim Blond, still nothing more than one of those soapy, boring scents. Don't get me wrong: Fd'O does not lack on originality, but nonetheless - it is so BORING.

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Vanilla sticks one can find in an Indian shop. A friend of mine asked the other night, 'guys, can you smell those horrible vanilla sticks. G, I hate those', and I was like, 'oh yeah. That's my Fumerie Turque'. Silage, projection, staying power? Forget about it. Not worth the money.

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Utterly sour, too sweet - a huge misunderstanding really. Although the scent spans a wide range of different notes (from the lowest frequencies of leather up to the highest ones of citrus and apricot) I couldn't help but notice a huge gap between those relatively 'fine' layers. The result: thin, chaotic, confusing olfactory. Furthermore, this is probably the only fragrance on the market that makes me sick. I sorry, but there's no poetic license to this statement - it literally makes me sick. Dry down is a nightmare. I expected so much more.

chengfun's avatar

Gardénia Passion by Annick Goutal

I agree with the other reviews that this is more tuberose than gardenia. It is heady like Fracas, but they are not too similar. However, Saks Fifth Avenue and Gardenia Passion smell very alike to me. I like GP but as I already have SFA, I'm not likely to add GP to my wardrobe as well.

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

well the name is fits this fragrance about as much as "THE Guide" fits Turin's book...however, this is a pretty good fragrance.....it starts off with spicy notes of cardamom, patchouli and amber with slight tobacco undertones....the background is fresh and infused with quite a beautiful citrus......as it developes it becomes much sweeter and amber takes over with cedar kicking in..scent reminiscent of very sweet sandalwood...The sillage is slight to very moderate but the lasting power is quite good.....the two big drawbacks - the fragrance is minimal in its power and it's beginning is so incredibly promising where the drydown and basenotes becomes too sweet and almost powder like.

Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

ended up buying Maurice Roucel's beautiful invention of Riverside Drive.....Strong, Spicy, Clean and Fresh with sillage and power.....what else can you ask for? a great all around and going out fragrance. I smell fresh cucumber and even something like licorice throughout intermingled with a hint of sweet fruit notes(which I wish were present a tiny bit more)....it does become dry as it developes but yet somehow capturing the fresh edge it started off with....overall, a beautiful fragrance very well fitting the reputation of its creator.

Versace pour Homme by Versace

I liked this much better than the new Guccipour homme , which is sort of like saying I prefer it to 1st degree burns, however this one also seemed like your regular run of the mill designer frag although they advertised it as as neroli based, minimalist male perfume....i agree with minimalist and although i did detect floral notes throughout, i sniffed a citrus like background(probably the orange peel they mention in the notes)....all in all i have to give it a second wearing in order to give it a better estimate.

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

very impressed with Chanel's take on this one.....not a big fan of lemon, but loved the lemon here.....because it wasnt tart but creamy and pleasant with vetiver accords developing within 20 minutes or so....it is quite pleasant and fresh but with an oustanding creamy/vetiver edge to its tartness giving it a beautiful balance and even....Complexity.

Roadster by Cartier

wow.....well this one has personality and power.....however to me its just wayyy too jumbled up with notes that in no way fit together and produce something I would imagine to smell when you base two pretty good fragrances...in the process ruining both. It goes on very very green and grassy, and the most dominant part of that Green is Mint, Mint Mint....and the mint isnt the cooling mint I am used to and enjoy very much(like in Aramis Ice), the mint is actually very creamy...almost as it has been dipped into Land O'lay butter and cool whip...so its Mint, Grass, Cream....as it dried down the power and sillage of the fragrance didnt subside but my headache from it increaded.....I really, really wanted to like this one but just couldnt.....It is obvious Cartier attempted to make something a bit provocative which is always good in the world of "typical mass market" however on my nose....this attempt failed.

P.S for collectors, the bottle for Roadster is exquisite.....one of the best bottle designs i have seen anywhere....the bottle looks like a replica of the car moving piece from the Monopoly Game...and the cap is take off sideways as if opening the hood of the car.

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Dissapointed isnt the word.... Stunned....from the house which produced one of the more unique and spicier designer fragrances anywhere, this absolute garbage is their new idea of cologne? I couldnt discern any notes because there were none....it went on as pure alcohol and before alcohol fully settled down you couldnt smell anything at all..... I tried it on 3 different times with the same results...This was the first day Gucci was 'out' on shelves so all the SA's were going berserk trying to have anyone sniff and try it......... I took 2 samples with me, lets see if my horrible first impression will change with another try.

pasha's avatar

Ungaro III by Ungaro

Of course it is fantastic.

Ungaro III is a very special scent, because it is modern yet at the same time decadent, lush and sensual yet masculine, tame at times yet underneath its cover, it is very provocative. I am one of those people who think that this is a very dark scent, and very smooth. I am sure it is one of the types of fragrances that women love a lot on men.

The opening is woodsy, spicy and citrus-y at the same time with mahogany, orange, lemon, coriander, sage, lavender, and even vodka. This is a very refreshing idea for an opening: being very bold and multi-layered with varying ingredients. Vodka is an interesting note here. I know that most people usually detest this note if it is too raw, and why shouldn't they? But here, it seems to be broken down so well with lavender, that it reads as a note that adds an original dryness to the opening.

I think this scent is dark, not necessarily because of the combination of notes, but because of the idea behind it. There is something almost primeval and raw about it, at the same time it is obvious that the notes are meticulously mixed to create a very ethereal experience. It smells real and natural: there is nothing synthetic about the scent. I think what is the boldest move on the fragrances part is its heart notes which are all flowers! These flowers are jasmine, geranuim, lily-of-the-valley and rose. The much-discussed roses of this scent are very powerful, but they are not the pink/white innocent roses of YSL Paris. They are -what they must be- black and very dark maroon roses with a vengeance. They smell very cruel, and unforgiving, and move on your body like a ghost.

The scent has a very dark spirit to it: something creeping near behind almost, kind of sinister. I do not understand how people can say that this is a cheerful scent: on my skin, it is a total seducer who wants to get his next victim. It wants to attract people: it WANTS to be recognized and appreciated. The base of the scent is musky indeed with moss, vetiver, sandalwood, cedar and patchouli. It is an elegant part of the equation and compliments the roses very very well.

It is a skillful scent witha bold statment to make, and I would say I see this scent in the same category as Narcisso Rodriguez for Men (with heavy violets in that one rather than roses), Opium pour Homme (the infamous anise/vanilla combination) and Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier. These all do not necessarily smell alike, make no mistake, but they are all mystical scents that feel raw and animalic enough to be deemed otherworld-ly, but elegant enough to be appreciated for their genuine beauty and darkness. Actually, I feel like this scent smells kind of close to even legendary Aramis with the musky, patchouli and woods combination along with the common green notes like vetiver and moss, and the un-feminized flowers. Don't know, maybe it is just my nose.

The bottle is fantastic and very very chic by being jet-black with gold accents, and it matches the juice inside. And the way you almost uncork the cap is also stunning and a nice detail. Overall, one of the best scents around, and one that I am sure I will enjoy for many years to some.

SirSlarty's avatar

Background by Jil Sander

Sweet and fruity on top and very comforting. A neat blend of florals and fruits for men. In the drydown, the cedar and rose intermingle and become the dominant note. Very nice and unique.

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

L'Eau Rare Matale 06 by Parfumerie Generale

Dark smoky black tea served with a lemon peel in a wooden tea cup. Light and subtle, with touches of vetiver, overall not satisfying enough. Next!

17 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 31st August, 2009)

Bigsly's avatar

Envy for Men by Gucci

There's something about Envy that I find distasteful, and it's also boring, and I like other, similar fragrances much better (such as Prada and Richard James Saville Row). I've sampled this four times and it is just unappealing to me. It may be a bit too sweet or "synthetic" smelling. A frugal application might be okay if you want to use it for a specific occasion, but I can't wear this to enjoy it by myself, because it's just not enjoyable in any way. This may be a good "training wheels" fragrance for newbies, and I think that's why there are so many good reviews. I thought I liked it on my second sampling, but the third time I found it boring, and the fourth time I found it flat, "synthetic," and inferior to other fragrances I enjoy that are similar. I also think it might be appealing to those around you, and so many people like it for that reason, which is understandable.

bbBD's avatar

Private Collection - Un Crime Exotique by Parfumerie Generale

Absurdly fantastic! Similar in concept to the new Serge Lutens 5 OClock Gingerbre, but definitely distinct and unique, and while its a gourmand I think it would appeal even to those who don't like gourmands. It starts with a distinct gingerbread note, not sweet like cookies but rather spicy like mulled cider spiked with cinnamon and rum. This is a very, very full bodied fragrance, and is develops a distinct black tea accord intertwines with the spicy gingerbread, with just enough sweetness. The interplay of tea and gingerbread is what makes this fragrance and will probably lead me to buy a bottle. On drydown sandalwood and vanilla become more prominent - as does the cinnamon, and blend everything together perfectly.

timaru's avatar

Germany Germany

Sun Men by Jil Sander

as the other posters have stated unfortunately nothing extraordinary however nice and inoffensive.
    good frag, good for the wallet too :)
    got this one during summer sale and like it, suits almost any occasion althoguh i find it a little to 'warm' for a pure summer scent.
    a thumbs up anyway

Scented Susan's avatar

Iris Ganache by Guerlain

Iris Ganache is quite delicious. I've finally gotten around to purchasing a bottle. It's very unique, and different from the usual classic Guerlains. This is not for old ladies.

misseuropa's avatar

Chocolovers by Aquolina

Smells very similar to Pink Sugar, and whether you love it or hate it, you will more than likely feel similar about Chocolovers.

This does not smell of chocolate, but it does smell of things that are often paired with chocolate. The hazelnut/vanilla combo dominates on me, and that's probably the chocolatey-ness that people are getting from this... it does smell quite a bit like Nutella (hazelnut chocolate spread.)

leviticus's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

When I first smelled L'Eau D'Issey I wasn't all too thrilled with it. Then the smell grew on me. I added it to my collection and noticed almost immediately thereafter that girls were now standing a lot closer to me as I waited in line, or stood in the elevator. They would even sit closer to me in class!!!

Overall, I strongly that this is one of the overall best men's fragrances. The notes are seamlessly balanced, and the drydown is nothing short of stellar. L'Eau D'Issey has an energy, a 'zing' that makes its wearer stand out. This is really powerful stuff. The key to this fragrance is the drydown. I sprayed it yesterday at noon before going to a party at 2 pm. A girl complemented me on my smell 9 hours later!!! Don't let the strong citrus of initial application fool you; give it some time and let the good times roll!

Brut by Fabergé

This was my first cologne, given to me as a gift from a family member while I was in junior high. Those around me used to complain that I stunk whenever I wore this stuff. I almost got tossed off the bus once by older kids who claimed that I smelled like mothballs. Just the thought of the way this smells makes me wince. And of course, I received this as a gift multiple times. The cologne, the aftershave, the balm. Is/Was this the cheapest cologne in existence? People, I don't think 12 year old boys want to smell like this...

The Dreamer by Versace

Okay, so growing up in a Persian household, I was constantly surrounded by the scent of Persian spices simmering in the kitchen. There is a popular spice called sabzi which is incorporated into many Persian dishes. The Dreamer smells exactly like sabzi. It's as if I took a bottle of this spice, added water, shook it up, and sprayed it on myself. It's good to eat, but not to wear.

I should note that the opening spray smells nothing like the dry-down. It opens smelling as if you just sprayed gasoline on yourself. It's "chokingly" awful. It takes about 30 minutes or so for the fragrance to being to develop into what I referred to as the "sabzi" smell. I have never come across a fragrance that transforms into something utterly and completely different from top to bottom like The Dreamer does.

I thought about purchasing this for my father or brother as a gag gift, just because I know that none of my family members would want to walk around smelling like cooking spices.

17 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 25 October, 2009)

Eternity Summer for Men 2007 by Calvin Klein

I'm not a fan of Eternity for Men, but I do like Eternity Summer for Men 2007. Has a clean floral scent with an added fresh lemon scent. It's not too strong, not too subtle. Not too sweet, not too sour (However, I would personally prefer this one to be a little sweeter). It's not a complicated scent by any means, but it's nice for what it is. Doesn't smell like a bowl of mixed fruits like many "summer" fragrances. I wore this for awhile and enjoyed it quite a bit.

17 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 25 October, 2009)

Kismet's avatar

Golden Amber by Becker.eshaya

I like amber. My favorite ambery scent is Teo Cabanel Alahine.
    I can't say I was eager to try this because the first becker eshaya was decent but nothing special.
    Golden Amber is the second fragrance from becker eshaya and I think it's a million times better than their first try.
    I won't list the notes because others already have before me. It's a nicely blended floral/fruit/amber. It's nowhere near a heavy thick amber - it's light and wearable. It's somewhere in between sweet and dry and it's a little salty.
    I smell mostly light not-too-sweet amber, musk and sandalwood with a dash of floral/citrus tossed in. The floral/citrus notes are only detected in the beginning and once it's dried down is all smoooth amber, musk and sandalwood.
    This is a nice little number. You can wear it anywhere at any time of year.
    The lasting power is excellent - at least 5-6 hours
    The sillage is soft but present, not overpowering by any means.
    I like it. I'm surprised it doesn't get more attention.

17 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 14 February, 2010)

collegedu3's avatar

D&G Masculine by Dolce & Gabbana

As a young college student, I have to say I really like this stuff. It's not my favorite, but it really works in the summer. I feel insignificant posting this along the likes of SirSlarty, but this stuff is at least somewhat subjective. I like the lemon that pops out initially and for whatever the reason the confusion as SirSlarty points out is oddly appealing to me. In a summer market filled with fruity fragrances mixed maladroitly with musk, the lemon locomotion is welcome in my wardrobe.

atb913's avatar

Stella by Stella McCartney

I love this fragrance in the fall! Why? I'm not quite sure. It may be the amber/rose combo, or it may be that I received it as a gift in autumn, so perhaps its an association. Regardless, I love it! Its crisp, clean, and not too overpowering. Great work scent.