Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

atb913's avatar

Stella by Stella McCartney

I love this fragrance in the fall! Why? I'm not quite sure. It may be the amber/rose combo, or it may be that I received it as a gift in autumn, so perhaps its an association. Regardless, I love it! Its crisp, clean, and not too overpowering. Great work scent.

17 August, 2008

cK one Summer 2007 by Calvin Klein

A fruity floral that comes off as quite overbearing to my nose once it transitions into the heart and base. It's not terrible, however having applied only 2 sprays I was left with the feeling of wearing too much of a cheap cologne.

V pour Homme by Valentino

All of the notes blend together to create some weird concoction that smells precisely like cotton candy with vanilla poured on top. I applied two sprays and by the time I got home from work I couldn't wait to wash it off and change clothes. A very linear fragrance to my nose. I just didn't care for it.

Carlos Santana for Men by Carlos Santana

Opens with the smell of cinnamon and cooked apples over lavender. Very nice!

The dry-down is rather awful on my skin, however. A pleasant vanilla note appears, but the wood in the base is screechy and smells "off". As more time passes and the woody note becomes more prominent, the worse the fragrance becomes.

I have to give this an overall Neutral rating, because the top notes DO smell great.

Kenneth Cole Signature by Kenneth Cole

Lasting power is bad (about 2 hours tops on me), and is just an overall bland and boring fragrance. It's a sweet, musky, slightly woody aftershave-esque fragrance. Nothing special.

Black by Kenneth Cole

I love the opening notes. I smell incense, sandalwood, and lotus. Very nice, and doesn't strike me as another cookie-cutter "me too" fragrance. However, the whole thing loses its composure as it transitions into the heart and base and longevity is only in the 1 ~ 2 hour range. Because of this, I cannot recommend this fragrance.

I hate to say it, but I feel that Kenneth Cole uses very cheap ingredients in his fragrances. They all have abysmal longevity, and seem to fall apart after the pleasant top notes start to dissipate.

Chrome by Azzaro

I must give Chrome a Thumbs Up rating, even though it doesn't work for me. It's a very sharp, fresh, and soapy fragrance with distinct top, middle, and base notes.

The top is citrusy and soapy, and comes off as an orangey, lemony, fresh, and somewhat "blue" sport fragrance. It's very sharp and zippy, and extremely potent if not applied conservatively.

The heart notes are mossy and floral (ivy), and the fragrance starts to become powdery on my skin. I detect a very distinct transition from the top to the middle, which is quite impressive for a fragrance in this genre, IMO.

The base is powdery and somewhat woody, with some musk.

Sillage is amazing! Longevity is amazing! If applied liberally (please don't do this), this fragrance can easily choke people out of a room. Chrome will easily last 8 ~ 12 hours, if not longer.

I find Chrome to be a high quality fragrance, but it's a little too sharp and fresh for my preference, and gets overly powdery on my skin as time progresses. Still, I highly recommend Chrome if you're a fan of the genre. Try it!

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

As SirSlarty stated, a bakery in a bottle. I have also heard it referred to as Starbucks in a bottle, or a donut shop in a bottle.

A*Men is a delicious gourmand that incorporates chocolate, vanilla, caramel, peppermint, tar and coffee over a patchouli base. I must note that the base is quite the patchouli bomb, so be prepared for that. I have a feeling that the strong patchouli note is the cause of a lot of people not liking this fragrance.

Projection and longevity are nuclear. This is an extremely strong and potent fragrance that will choke people out of a room if you're not careful with how you apply it. This fragrance lasts a minimum of 16 hours on my skin (and I have extremely dry skin). I would say longevity is in the 24+ hour range.

Even if you don't like sweet fragrances or gourmands, I feel that everyone must at least TRY A*Men once.

17 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 13 February, 2011)

JaimeB's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Laurier-Réglisse by Guerlain

A very pleasant, eau-de-cologne style fragrance, like most of the series. This one is especially nice in the drydown, with a citrus-violet-green-amber vibe that persists rather well. The early stages of the scent tend to be a bit "pushy," by which I mean a little too sharp and slightly lush, perhaps even a bit "feminine" in the conventional parlance. That is brief, however, and really easily tolerable, when you consider where the scent ends up. This is very fresh and green-leafy, nice for warm days and upbeat times.

Tovah's avatar

Tea Rose by Perfumer's Workshop

The Chrysler Imperial Rose, the only rose breed I've heard of that's named for an automobile (now vintage), was "launched" with the auto, and, so far, has long outlasted it. Better cars have come our way, but the Chrysler Imperial Rose is one of the finest tea roses grown in international gardens. It is an absolutely gorgeous hybrid tea rose with huge, vivid, rose-red flowers and a dewy, rich, classic tea rose perfume. Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose smells like a bouquet of Chrysler Imperial blooms, cut early on a warm morning, and placed in a crystal vase. Its lasting power is incredible, (as is the amount of fragrance, esp. for the price!), and a full spritz of it can scent an entire room for hours. For lovers of the heady smell of fresh roses, this fragrance should not be missed. If you could take the aroma of Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare and multiply its concentration by ten, you'd have something surprisingly similar to Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose.

tnamey's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

This enigmatic fragrance is, as other reviewers have expressed, not concentrated BPH. While similar, it is very different as well. The opening is grapefruit, tea and pepper. It is quite an opening, but the initial pungency is lost quickly, and for the next few hours is quite an aroma, which starts to move closer to the skin, becoming an "inimate" fragrance. I like it very much, and rotate this regularly. It is both suitable for evening, as well as office.

cK be by Calvin Klein

This has a lovely opening, which reminds me a bit of Mugler Cologne. It’s the fresh notes and the white musk. The drydown is a bit like Worth pour Homme. That’s the sandalwood and light spices. Mildly rich, comforting and comfortable. A quiet performer, quite pleasing.

Jack Black Signature Black Mark by Jack Black

Fragrance notes: Kashmir saffron, coriander, cedar, leather
    I like woody scents and this is indeed woody. The aromatic cedarwood is complimented by the spice notes. I’m a bit surprised at how woody this is – no complaints, but this definitely registers on the Richter scale of wood-dominated scents. Cedar can sometimes ‘go south’ and get obnoxious… it stays civilized here. The spices give it a bit of an old-school barbershop vibe. There is a faint hint of leather. I’m hyper-sensitive to vanilla, and I don’t get ANY of that here. I don’t find the saffron problematic, indeed on me it is just part of the spice mix. (For those interested in more prominent saffron scents, I recommend Safranier and Palisander. Zafferano… each person needs to try it.) Back to JBB, it is a cool-weather scent – not heavy or sweet, but I find it to be substantial.

Jack Black Signature Blue Mark by Jack Black

Fragrance notes: juniper, ginger, herbaceous thyme and vetiver
    This is a crisp, invigorating scent, in the breezy summer splash mode. Minty juniper and a very light green/woody notes are its essence. Thankfully, there are no artificial-smelling ‘fresh’ notes here – all seems natural and is satisfying. I don’t really get any ginger (mind you, I have yet to find a ginger scent that actually smells anything at all like fresh ginger). This is not a complex scent, but who cares? The price is moderate, and it is well done. If you need a nice summer splash, check it out.

Alain Delon / AD by Alain Delon

Another love at first sniff frag .
    Super rich , complex & very masculine .
    Nothing synthetic or cloying .
    A little secret I will share to those lucky enough to venture this deep researching this sleeper .
    This my friends came before Santos & Caron's 3rd Man , and these two others I believe were crafted , mixed & released with the same results in mind .
    They both came close first Santos , which is like a brother but is a lot weaker hence the Concentree that followed .
    Then 3rd Man which was released some 5 years after AD which I regard a twin but not identical .
    If you like Cartiers & Carons offerings , try & get a sample of this sleeper !
    ***** 4 & half STARS *****
    .ps ... Is nothing like Yatagan as mentioned below .

Giorgio for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Very few frags have this effect .. but upon first sniff this was instant love ..
    Giorgio is rich , complex , sensual & very masculine ,,
    I will never be without a bottle ever again ,,
    ***** FIVE STARS ****

Nemo by Cacharel

I liked this very much straight from the first whiff ..
    Nothing pungent or synthetic to my nose .. Reminds me of Opium PH & Varvatos ..
    A super sexy frag .
    *** 3.5 STARS ***

HDS1963's avatar

Lavandula by Penhaligon's

That men can wear this is beyond question if you ask me. If men can wear Caron Pour Un Homme, then Lavandula is well within that remit.

In my opinion this is what PuH should be. Lavandula is a smoother more rounded fragrance, the lavender being fresh in the opening as opposed to harsh in the Caron formulation. The lavender never leaves, but eases back into the skin supported by lighter floral notes, which project a light and pleasing aura which puts me in mind for some reason of Eau de Cartier.

The vanilla note is soft as well, but pleasingly so and not at all cloying like you find in PuH or Pi. All in all, this is a very well rounded fragrance, a delight to wear and the bonus is that it is sold in EdP strength.

This is as unisex as it gets in my opinion. I highly recommend it.

jenson's avatar

India India

Hammam Bouquet by Penhaligon's

i was shocked when i first sampled HB.....any indian on this forum would recognise this smell with the age old hair oil formula that is quite popular in india and has been used for ages.

for a quick review, this product is quite popular in some parts of india and especially local head massage parlours in india.. the similarity ceases between two after the opening notes. (the mood of the scent)

HB for me opened with this accord that im not new to by any means. it's a very raw, herbal/ floral accord, done in the same vain/intensity as YSL Jazz (only a reference for the intensity, no similarity in smell)...this accord is quite invigorating and bright..like smelling 1000 crushed flowers mixed with tart lime notes and herbs at a time..it's sour to an extent of leaving a taste in mouth..its somewhere in the midnotes that this grabs one by their $@!!$... wow! the very same opening notes lowers it intensity and lays itself on a bed of powdery animalic notes(in kouros/gentleman way)...it has the same kind of powdery effect which kouros exudes (only the approach, not the smell)...once in this accord, it's then very hard to turn back. one of the most astounding fragrance ever released, way way ahead of time and a masterpiece to say the least.

i'm sure many fragrance houses of today would still look up and admire this fragrance for its construction, built, finesse and rugged quality.

SirSlarty's avatar

Coveri pour Homme by Enrico Coveri

Well, it's another 80's moss and leather scent but it's very subdued and good for business casual as the other reviewer here had said.

Debbie R.'s avatar

Poison by Christian Dior

Disgusting, strong and overbearing. In "Perfumes, The Guide", Luca Turin says that it is indeed a fragrance that "will make a night he remembers". Yeah, because he will have nearly gagged himself to death. He characterizes this as a syrupy tuberose. This could turn a person off against tuberose forever. Thank heavens it's not the first tuberose fragrance I've tried.

lizzie_j's avatar

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

Starts out very promising, with a bright and uplifting opening, but quickly deteriorates into a fairly heavy, almost cloying, musty floral mish mash. Perhaps it's my lack of experience, but I have a hard time detecting individual notes. That would be okay if the fragrance was a 'symphonic floral' (to quote Luca Turin referring to 'Beyond Paradise'). Unfortunately, it's not. More like a poorly tuned high school band. Full on 'Meh!'

Jemimagold's avatar

Nanadebary Classic Pink by Nanadebary

Nanadebary Pink is another one of those perfumes that has an incredibly devoted following on the Makeupalley Fragrance Board so that when The Perfumed Court had their 1st Anniversary Sale, I just had to get a sample to see what all the fuss was about.

I have now applied it twice and have pondered what to say in my review. At the risk of upsetting the diehard "Nana Pink" MUA gang, I can't help but ask "what is the big deal??" Pink is essentially an aldehyde perfume with a large dollop of nutmeg and clove notes thrown in. I guess you could say that it mostly smells like a fresh grating of nutmeg on top of the vat of Christmas eggnog combined with lashings of Mom's Elizabeth Arden's Red Door perfume wafting by as she scurries to the living room to make sure that the porchlights are on for the carolers. Pink's drydown is a pleasant enough vanilla-ish scent. Mrs. Beasley's homemade poundcake, anyone? With these perfume images and smells in mind, I can see why Pink might be a "comfort/cozy" scent for some, especially those who enjoy gourmand fragrances. (And, FYI, I am not joking about Red Door above - Pink is rather similar from what I can recall about it.)

Personally, if aldehydes turn you on, Le Labo's Aldehyde 44 easily surpasses Nanadebary Pink in terms of style, sophistication and quality. If you are looking for a spicy, special Christmas scent, I think that Caron's Parfum Sacre is much better made and more elegant.

Here are Nanadebary Pink's notes, courtesy of The Perfumed Court: nutmeg, coriander, Sicilian tangerine, bergamot, sandalwood, cedar, Indian amber and Bourbon vanilla.

Jemimagold's avatar

Love in Black by Creed

I am an admirer of Creed's Love in White and Jackie Onassis (apparently Oliver Creed's inspiration for Love in Black) so I was eager to try this out. My first thought was why "black" was even in the name as there is nothing dark or sinister about Love in Black. (Surely it is not because of JKO's hair!) Anyways, the dominant smell of the entire composition is violet. The top note has a bit of the floury/saltiness that characterizes La Artisan Parfumeur's Bois Farine which was an unexpectedly creative touch. The middle and base notes incorporate iris whose rootiness is quite evident and gives the perfume an unfortunate "sad" or "decaying" aura. It is hard to say which exactly but I found myself not liking the smell of this on my skin. The base note was a general sweet-ish floral smell and was evident on my wrist at least 4 hours after the initial application.

As compared to a fellow violet perfume, Armani Prive's Cuir Amethyste, I would give a big nod to Cuir Amethyste as it has a wonderful leather aspect that gives it an adult-like complexity and elegance. Love in Black, however, stays too sickly sweet for my tastes and chiefly reminds me of Howards violet scented gum chiefly sold in England or state-side at Cost Plus World Market.

If Creed's Love in White was skewered by Luca Turin and compared to a funeral arrangement in his "Perfumes: The Guide", it will be very interesting to hear what caustic witty comments he'll have on Love in Black. I am personally a Creed fan but they can do, and have done, much better than this.

Here are the notes for Love in Black: "night-blooming wilfdflowers" from the Greek isles, violet from italy, Virginia cedar, iris, clove, Tonkin musk, blackcurrant, and Bulgarian rose.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Salvador Dali pour Homme by Salvador Dali

I recently aquired a set of scents called the Salvador Dali Metal Collection. The coffret features 5 of the Dali scents in bottles with "metallic" finishes of various colors. The 5 scents are: Salvador Dali For Men (EDP), Laguna (parfum), Dalissme (parfum), Salvador for Men (EDP) and Salvador Dali (parfum). My interest in this set sprang from the fact that I had already owned one of the scents (Salvador Dali, originally in a black nose and lips bottle) for years, but had only recently tried it and fell in love with it, leading me to become curious about the other scents. When this set came up on ebay I pounced on it.

Judging from the limited reviews and information on most of these scents, I would say that they're rather obscure, but I figured I should write a review for them anyway, since the few reviews I found on this site were very helpful in me making my decision to purchase the set. I figured that my review could be helpful, along with others if someone else came upon one of these scents and wanted a few opinions before making a purchase.

The bad news first: Laguna, which is marketed as an "aquatic" women's scent is the one in the bunch that I just plain don't like. I don't even know where to begin. I'll just say that everything about it smells a little watered down, cheap, synthetic and cloying. Dalissime (also for women). With it's notes of peach, apricot and lychee, seems like a bad, watered down knock-off of Guerlain's Mitsouko. It has almost no sillage.

Salvador (for men) is not bad, but there's nothing exceptional about it either and I agree with the other reviews for it that can be found separately on this site.

Now the good news: Salvador Dali (I think it's intended for women, but it's definitely unisex as far as I'm concerned) is to die for. I already wrote and submitted a review for this that has not yet been posted, so I won't repeat myself here.

The final scent is Salvador Dali for men, which all of the reviews on this page are for. Marketed to men, I see this one as unisex as well. As you can see from the previous reviews, you'll either like this or you'll hate it. It's definitely strange and almost undefinalble. Someone mentioned the smell of blood. This may sound weird, but as I moved about this evening I caught a whiff of the scent and that's exactly what came to mind. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just surprising and strange. Shortly after I applied it earlier today, it started smelling like something I was already familiar with. Then it hit me that this is similar in smell and strangeness to Vera Kern's "Onda" (which I also reviewed in the same review as Guerlain's Djedi that has not been posted yet). S. D. came first, but Vera Kern's Onda is much more pungent and assertive. Those of you who don't like this will probably hate Onda, which I think is wonderful.

Since this review is really for Salvador Dali for Men I'll just rate that one. I give it a thumbs up.

bbBD's avatar

Vanille Tonka by Nicolaï

A lot more tonka than vanilla, and more feminine than I thought it would be based on the published notes and the reviews. Very nice, very high quality, just not quite for me, even though I'm a big vanilla fan.

lilirose's avatar

Fancy by Jessica Simpson

I think it is very, very sweet. Even my 10 yr old feels that it's just too, too sweet. Howevery, I'm in love with the bottle! I just might buy it for the sake of displaying it on my art deco dresser! :-)

18 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 July, 2009)

Cuir de Russie by Chanel

This is an androgynous scent to me. It smells much drier and more masculine than Tabac Blonde (with which it is often compared). They are both leather scents but the similarity stops there. It starts out with a lovely citrus. Then a smokey floral peeks through for about an hour; and the dry down which seems to go on for quite a long time is satisfyingly animalic (leather and civet is what I get). I have not smelled the original, but this one does seem to have a castoreum element in it (synthetic I'm sure), although it is extremely subdued and well blended. It's expensive, but worth every penny! It's so good, that I can't understand why it hasn't been discontinued.

Haute Provence by Nicolaï

One of my all time favorite EDC concoctions. I disagree with the feminine classification here on Basenotes. When I bought it from PD Nicolai she was describing it as unisex, and I would agree. This is a masterful brew. If you like lavender, this is one of the finest treatments of lavender you will ever smell. It is not very long lasting, but it is truly divine.

Antaeus by Chanel

I didn't think much of Antaeus years ago. I also never really liked it out of the bottle. Once I tried it on my skin however, it really warmed up and revealed its true elegance and majesty to me. It is a sexy, sophisticated dry chypre scent which reveals a surprising warmth on my skin. It dries down into a fascinating beeswax base. Excellent when dressed up and out to the theater or fundraiser. I have to control myself to avoid wearing it during the day at work, since it really is much too formal for that; but I love it so that sometimes I just don't care and I wear it whenever I want!