Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Carven Homme (original) by Carven

I really love wearing Carven Homme. It has a lovely spicy lavender opening with a burst of rosewood. The sweetness of the vanilla is apparent almost immediately to me but it is a very controlled, never cloying sweetness which houses the geranium and also the wood, which to my nose is the central theme to the scent. The pyramid lists cedar as the wood component, but I detect some vetiver as well. The woods last well through the dry down resting on a lovely vanilla, coumarin, patchouli and musk cushion. This fragrance is proof positive that expensive and high-quality are not necessarily synonymous.

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

This is a very classic chypre type of masculine scent, fresh opening and slightly sweet dry down. It has the longevity of a typical EDC, so it is perfect for day wear and for when I want something light and lovely. It's a shame that it has been discontinued in the States. I'd better get some in Europe before it gets pulled all together. People may find it blasphemous, but I actually prefer the smell of the Concentree over this one, although to be honest comparing the two is comparing apples to oranges.

18th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 22nd December, 2009)

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

Unlike Luca Turin, I find this to be a five star fragrance. I think the reason some people are turned off by this scent is that they are looking for a longer lasting version of the original PM. I do feel that this has much in common with the original in its opening blast of citrus, but it very quickly turns to a rich and deep oriental. For people looking for the Chypre/after-shave smelling original I can understand their disappointment. Perhaps Chanel would have been smarter by just renaming this juice all together to avoid the confusion.

PHC is in my top 10 men's orientals right next to Nicolai's New York. The blend is perfect. It's extremely long lasting and the sillage is perfect: not too far and not too close to the skin. It works best in the evenings, but I have been known to walk through a thin mist in the morning before work and let everyone get a vague sniff of something extraordinary!

18th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 22nd December, 2009)

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

I would describe this one as cheap and cheerful. Nothing exceptional, but very wearable. I have gotten compliments on it when wearing it in public. It is sweet and fruity, but it never seems to go over the edge to being unbearable sweet or gourmand on my skin. I'd probably not buy it again, but it seems to be an inoffensive, wearable and pretty versatile little number.

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

This is in my top 5 favorite EDC creations. My other favorites being Cologne Sologne, Guerlain EDC, Eau Savage and Eau Provence. It is the epitome of class and freshness. I can't help being in a good mood when I wear it. I just need to make sure I have a bottle handy when I do wear it since the longevity is very typical of an EDC, thus reapplication is necessary if I want it to last. There are so many EDC's to choose from but this is one of the best, and worth every penny.

The Concentrée is actually a very good adaptation of this scent into a chypre concept.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Fresh and sophisticated. Not terribly long lasting. This is a classic that I have loved for years. My perfect day time scent. I love the play of citrus and herbs. IMO this is the best men's citrus scent ever made.

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

It's a classic alright. I loved smelling it on others when I was a kid, but it's not something I reach for very often as an adult. It's well constructed and quite green with a great big violet leaf blow in the face. Once it settles down into a bit of wood, it still keeps a lot of the green alive and turns rather linear. I like it, but I don't really want to smell like it. I appreciate it and would hate to see it discontinued after all these years.

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

There are several fragrance masterpieces which I can appreciate, but don't enjoy wearing (Kouros being one of them). Yet Habit Rouge is masterpiece which is highly wearable in all it's phases of development. This is one of my all-time favorite scents. I'd want it packed in my bags if I were on the proverbial desert island. This should be required sniffing for every young man to teach him what a balanced fragrance smells like. From its citrus blast opening through its floral woody heart all the way down to the sensual vanilla, resinous and slightly animalic base, Habit Rouge is seamless. It is a testament to divine artistry in perfume, and best of all, it smells divine! And yes, I do smell lavender in the opening and heart notes of this composition. It's very discrete, but definitely in there, I don't care what any of the pyramids say.

18th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2010)

Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

When I first smelled Jazz I thought, "Nice, but big deal." I sprayed myself and went on with my day. Throughout the day I kept smelling the most lovely fresh/spicy/woody/sweet accord wafting in and out and I knew this was a winner! This is right now my favorite YSL fragrance. It is so well balanced between the freshness of the top and the spiciness and woody leather of the heart and dry down. Sublime!

Jicky by Guerlain

I love Jicky. This is were I come to get my Civet fix; the civet is there but never makes my nose curl. Jicky is fresh, refined and nasty all at the same time. This one must never be discontinued, or we might actually have a riot!

Karma by Gorilla Perfume [Lush]

Orange, patchouli and vanilla. Another great hippy creation from Lush. I adore Lush's bath and body products, but never really have liked the EDT scents they have produced. Karma smells divine in the body cream but it gets too sweet and cloying in EDT formulation. I give the cream a four star rating: it is all about the orange and patchouli and less about the cotton candy type of vanilla; but the EDT gets a two star rating from me for being much too candy sweet.

Knize Ten by Knize

This is a fantastic scent. I love Knize Ten. It's a classic leather scent that has stood the test of time. It starts with a citrus blast but the leather is there from the start too; the heart and base notes add a sweetness and tobacco element to the leather and it dries down with a bit of powder. It seems to be a like it or hate it scent. I can only walk through a mist of this one, or it gets overpowering. It lasts well, and makes me feel very good!

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Kouros is anything but boring. It is definitely a classic and one which I have always found quite challenging. This is a scent for me to appreciate but not one which I find immediately appealing. It is obviously a work of great merit. Upon first application I feel a definite gag reflex. It reminds me instantly of public restrooms being cleaned at an airport. One might wonder why anyone would want to smell like this. The magic of this fragrance for me is that when my nose is at my wrist Kouros is disgusting. Yet the sillage itself is actually quite balanced. There is an alchemy which happens in that the aura of the scent is actually quite magnificent and none of the gut wrenching gag notes which I smell up close are present.

Much like a Vagnerian opera can be difficult for a first time listener to enjoy, so does Kouros offer a challenge to many at first smell. It just doesn't smell pretty; yet there is a difference between pretty and beautiful. Kouros is a mighty scent. It is, along with the man who wears it, a definite force to be reckoned with.

Castile by Penhaligon's

I wear several scents which are classified as feminine, namely Y, Bandit, Cuir de Russie (Chanel), and "Tabac Blonde;" yet for a so-called masculine scent, Castille smells too much of a feminine floral on my skin for me to enjoy it. It also smells to my nose somewhat synthetic and tends to give me a headache. Sorry, but this one may be well made and all, but I just can't bring myself to like it as much as I have tried.

Pour Un Homme by Caron

That's some gorgeous lavender! I own Caron Pour Un Homme for just the top note alone! But lest anyone ever get the impression that (as is stated in the H&R Directory) that this is a simple lavender fragrance, there is a short journey through a rose and wood heart which leads right down into a mossy vanilla base that lasts on my skin for hours. It's not listed in the pyramid, but there is a distinct civet note as well which gives the clean lavender note just the right dose of grit to make this one a real winner! Damn convention. I wear this anywhere and at anytime. It is just that gorgeous,

18th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 25th February, 2010)

Cologne Sologne by Nicolaï

Cologne Sologne was the first PDN scent I ever purchased years ago when Sephora carried her line in the South Coast Plaza store here in So. Cal. I was transfixed by this perfectly orchestrated EDC and fell in love with it from the first sniff! It starts off smelling, like so many others have stated, like 4711. Then when you think "it's very lovely, but we've been there and done that, Patty," this amazing rose blooms through and softens into Nicolai's signature tonka base. It's really quite magnificent. Of course, although it is an exceptional perfume, it still is an EDC; therefore, frequent reapplication is necessary since longevity is fairly short as should be expected in a product of this nature. It is a sublime experience.

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

I can't really detect the notes as separate components in this one. It's a gorgeous melange of wood, leather, resin, cocoa and vanilla all rolled into a gorgeous symphony, with a classic guerlinade dry-down. I love it and wear it often. Guerlain is one of my all-time favorite houses and they certainly didn't disappoint with L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme.

Ginger by Gorilla Perfume

This is actually not a bad fragrance. It smells a bit hippy, and it's a lot of fun. I wouldn't call it a serious fragrance, nor do I think it is meant to be. The Ginger scented creme is much better smelling than the EDT in my opinion.

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

Ooo La La! I love this scent! I have always been a lover of the original Eau D'Orange Verte; Where the original is a sublime EDC, the concentrée is a brilliant reinterpretation of the original using the chypre concept. Unlike many concentrée versions which are actually completely new scents altogether this one really stays honed in on its predecessor. The opening smells more of basil to my nose but the whole effect is much darker than the original. The sillage is a knockout! It lasts for a longer time than the original and dries down a bit leathery. Yum.

Hermèssence Poivre Samarcande by Hermès

Of all the Hermèssence line this is my favorite. I smell a stark pepper/cedar accord, and it stays pretty linear through the dry down. For my pepper fix I prefer something a bit more composed and less minimalist such as Red Vetiver, Terre d'Hermes or Timbuktu. But it is a finely crafted scent. Ellana certainly shows his artistry here.

Hermèssence Rose Ikebana by Hermès

Linear fruity rose. It's nice and not too feminine, but lasts but a moment and then disappears. I wouldn't miss it if I ran out.

Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès

It's obvious that each component of the Hermèssence line is meant to be a minimalist interpretation of the name of the perfume in question. Bearing that in mind, and not expecting more than that, this is a very good quality vetiver/tonka perfume. I wear it occasionally, but there are so many vetiver interpretations that better suit me that I rarely reach for it. Ellena is quite brilliant and never ceases to produce quality products. His sensibilities are different than mine, but I can still appreciate his work for what it is.

Arpège pour Homme by Lanvin

Arpège pour Homme opens with a sparkle of spice and citrus. It has a lovely floral center that fades pretty seamlessly into a base that smells of vanilla, tonka and sandalwood to my nose. I picked it up at the Marshall's bargain bin for about $8.00. One of my favorite recent purchases too! Seems a bit too sweet for warm weather, although my partner wore it to a summer picnic today and seemed to do quite well with it by spraying it sparingly. Lovely scent from Lanvin!

Cologne Nature by Nicolaï

If you like fresh lime, this is your baby. I love it, but I don't seem to reach for it very often. You will never offend wearing Cologne Nature. But even for an EDC, it is extremely short lived. Even sprayed on fabric you get 30 minutes tops. I'd give it a thumbs up but this longevity is poor even for a citrus.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I loved this one at first sniff, and still love it today. I think that Iris has been much too feminized over the years and its nice to smell some decent masculine interpretations of the scent. That being said, I could easily imagine a woman wearing Dior Homme. It is really the best offering of 2005.

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

I like this one. There are definitely a lot of dirtier fragrances out there. This one is actually pretty tame and polite to my nose. It's citrus and woods with a bit of patchouli mixed in. I don't smell the agar at all... This one is a good play it safe scent.

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

Great scent - just a little weak on my skin.

Burberry for Men by Burberry

still trying to figure this one out.......but its great!

Eau France by Molinard

Great light scent - Huge citrus opening, drydown with lemon-pepper......and as laurent suggests very warm. Understated classic - almost "sporty"

Polo by Ralph Lauren

IMHO - Not a classic, but the CLASSIC!

This is MAN.