Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Polo by Ralph Lauren

IMHO - Not a classic, but the CLASSIC!

This is MAN.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

I'd like to start off by saying that traditionally I am not a fan of aquatics......until now.
    top note is "boom" - citrus in ocean water
    middle and later notes - complex - floral and mossy yet very, very, delicate
    everytime I wear this a get a compliment...IMO, the best aquatic out there!

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Definetly, not black, agreed that conjures "orange-aluminum" in my mind - on me citrus is huge....middle notes are almost peppery....I liked it alot more when I first got it, now it's only ranging cold winter wear.

Morgana2's avatar

Azurée by Estée Lauder

I always loved it, but have been told that by others that it smells to them like cat urine. Each to their own.

Lovely_Lizzy's avatar

Sensual Amber by Bath and Body Works

As a person who usually detests feminine musky or floral fragrances, I was surprised when I tried Sensual Amber. The top notes of Bergamot and plum melted into my skin and created a scent reminiscent of caramel and maple syrup. I felt like i was in my grandmas log cabin for a breakfast of pancakes and honey. For some reason I the base notes completely over powered the heart notes after about five minutes. Personally I was elated with this fact because florals are a fragrance that my skin chemistry dose not mix well with, (it usually ends up smelling like bad air freshener). any ways i skipped the heart notes and went strait to the pleasant smell of sandalwood and the spectacular scent of golden caramel, a.k.a amber.
    I have to give bath and bodyworks an overall ten for their amazing work of sensual amber.

SugarScent's avatar

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

I think the formulation has changed in the past 10 years. I bought this for my husband, oh, about 10 years ago and I loved it on him. Especially when it died down and I had to snuggle to smell it.

Now I don't like it. I bought a bottle about 3 months ago and I swear it's different.

mrclmind's avatar

Héritage by Guerlain

The EDT is a woody oriental with slight fougere leanings: Citrus/Lavender top; spice center and woody, slightly sweet, balsamic and animalic dry-down.

The EDP Has the same basic structure as the EDT with a much stronger animalic element in the drydown. The prominent civet note is actually quite present from the beginning which gives Heritage EDP a bit in common with both Jicky and Mouchoir de Monsieur.

They both are very elegant and well balanced fragrances. I can understand why some people think Heritage is "older." It's definitely a mature scent, in that it draws from Guerlain's long heritage of perfumery. Heritage is a modern classic.

18 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 18 November, 2010)

mrclmind's avatar

Derby by Guerlain

This is the finest masculine leather I own. I wonder if it will ever be reintroduced here in the States. It is so well constructed that the development is seamless. It is so seamless in fact that it easy to perceive it as a linear scent. This is for me the perfect leather chyphre. Elegant, sophisticated and extremely wearable.

Edit: The above review was based on the original formulation. The new formula is every bit as wonderful as the original, but is a bit of a more modern and floral interpretation. It is so good in fact that it's worth me purchasing the reformulated version so that I have them both in my collection. They are different from each other enough to warrant being thought of as separate scents, or at least the new as a flanker of the original.

18 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 18 November, 2010)

Broadbent's avatar

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

The mens's infusion is truly a hybrid of the women's infusion and the original men's Amber pour homme cologne. It has the lovely iris, vetiver, woody/incense notes of the women's original, yet has that distinct barbershop/soapy quality of the men's amber. While seemingly well composed, after many applications on the first day after purchase, it sadly disappears on my skin with virtually no trace whatsoever. I do like it though, yet it appears to be an eau de cologne in silliage.

Indie_Guy's avatar

Vetiver Extreme by Guerlain

I can't believe the lack of enthusiasm for this fragrance, which in my opinion is fantastic. It's a Guerlain and it's a new chapter in the Vetiver story, so I'm kind of surprised at how little attention this has received.

The first thing that impressed me about it is that it shares a bit of a unusual "rubbery" quality with Frederic Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire. The smell of hot rubber snorkels lying in the grass of a backyard, baking in the late afternoon sun of summer, near a pool. Vetiver Extraordinaire almost takes this facet too far, while Vetiver Extreme backs off it a little, balancing it with other things-- notably soft greens and spices.

I think what may underwhelm people about Vetiver Extreme is that its sillage has a kind of "surface tension" quality about it. You either smell it or you don't. And when you smell it, you've hit a tipping point in which you smell all of it. You have to break a certain bubble of space to smell it, because the top notes don't continually break away and flare off like sunspots. The whole thing is so cohesive that it isn't given away by the screech of renegade top notes. So in a way, people might be upset because it doesn't bleed continuous sillage everywhere.

I think it's a beautiful, sturdy variation on Guerlain's Vetiver. Earthy, green and sophisticated. The "Extreme" denotes a kind of "weight" rather than "intensity." In some ways the original Vetiver probably announces its presence with more volume. Vetiver Extreme is more of a deeper, somber, resonant lower register kind of affair.

I have to wonder if once this stuff becomes hard to find, it won't garner more praise.

RCavs's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Lacoste Elegance by Lacoste

NIce fragrance! Finally a mainstream scent with a well developed amber based composition! I liked a lot the combination of mint, amber and chocolate. It also vaguely reminded of MPG Ambre Precieux, what is a good thing. Thumbs up!

ubuandibeme's avatar

Baby Phat Seductive Goddess by Kimora Lee Simmons

My first impression of this fragrance is that it smells like a vanillic version of Victor & Rolf's Flowerbomb! After giving it some time to develop, it showed a more chypre side, giving a unisex edge to the blend, which I'll chalk up to it's dry version of patchouli! Strangely, I like it! I may (hmmmm, maybe) even buy a bottle...even though it looks a bit cheesy.

Aiona's avatar

Sud Est by Romeo Gigli

It smells a lot like Yatagan. So if one doesn't like that aromatic rosemary YOWR!! of Yatagan, one probably won't go for Sud Est. The drydown is more floral than Yatagan, however. 10 hours later, and I can still totally smell the jasmine, and I *love* it. 'Such a shame it's discontinued.

Havok's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

I had very high hopes for this scent after what I had been hearing about it, but I was greatly disappointed. This smell simply did not fit my demographic. This fragrance smelled like a hospital waiting room mixed with soap you might find in a nursing home. I didn't get any of the fresh, green (forest-like, I was hoping) scents the smell has been touting. This "classic" is not for anything between the ages of 18-35 unless you are hitting on 50+ year-old cougars who may enjoy this sort of smell.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

This stuff is bad. I got a sample from Paris a few weeks ago, and thought maybe it was just a bad sample. Then I tried a tester bottle, and the same thing...very bad. When I reviewed 7:15am in Bali, the other 'new' KENZO scent, I mentioned the fact that it smelled like a combination of 2 existing KENZO fragrances. I thinnk this is the same situation...smells like a combo of L'Eau par Kenzo and Kenzo pour homme. The result is very bad...there is a note that dominates, but I can't quite put a finger on what it is.
    Stay clear...don't waste your time/money.
    Quadriple thumbs down.

scentsitivity's avatar

Lemon Sorbet by Etro

I think of sorbets as intensely fruity and sweet. So I was surprised to find Etro's Lemon Sorbet to lack sweetness. However, I still think it is a good scent. On initial application there is a blast of fresh carrot, which diminishes quickly and the lemon shows through. I like the lemon because it doesn't have that "furniture polish" feel. Rather it is a bold, fresh unsweetened lemon, with a touch of earthiness in the background. With the heart an herbal character emerges, with rosemary dominating. Eventually vetiver comes through. All the while you can get a touch of the lemon. I get 6 decent hours out of this EdC. I like this one, but not enough to buy it.

Notes, per the Etro website are:

Top: Bergamot, Lemon, Orange, Petitgrain (Citrus)
    Heart: Lavender, Rosemary (Spicy)
    Base: Sandalwood, Vetiver (Woody)

scentsitivity's avatar

L'Eau d'Ambre Extrême / Ambre Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

If you like intense sweet amber, this is a good choice. Honestly, at first I did not like it, it seemed too potent, but it grew on me: I couldn't stop sniffing my wrist. The key is to apply lightly. A little goes a long way: I get 12+ hours from a single application. Too much and it's a monster.

Kahuna Cowboy's avatar

Green Valley by Creed

Very nice offering, very much a crossing of Green Irish Tweed and Himalaya with a tinge of Silver Mountain Water. Perfect if you like GIT but you don't want to get into that whole "smells like Cool Water" debate.

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

light, transparent and beautiful.......i love the combination of translucent florals mixed in with earthy vanilla and slight coffe beans....Some people contend it to be a female fragrance, I disagree.....to me its a very well crafted, easily worn, floral gourmand unisex scent that is created for perfect sunny days...I guarantee you, spray this one on enough and you will get positive attention....Especially from women.

Eau de New York by Bond No. 9

I smell the tangy, bitter grapefruit and mandarin opening with grassy undertones.....the fragrance doesnt develop much sticking to its fresh tangy roots yet becoming sweeter as it progresses.......nicely done summer fragrance but nothing to write home about.

Bleecker Street by Bond No. 9

wow.....at first i got a whiff of green, green grass and lime peel....somehow both of those ingridients seemed incredibly natural and oh so appealing...yet the scent was quiet mute by Bond standards.......the real beauty of this fragrance is in the developmental stages.....the cedarwood dominates to my nose with tiny hints of dark cinnamon and grass thrown in....i'm telling you, the woody notes i have smelled in bleecker street i dont think I have ever smelled before anywhere else.....So unique, so deep yet so alluring....my god what a fantastic fragrance.....I think this one has been the best bond offering I have tried so far...Give it more strength and projection and Bleecker street might be my holy grail.

Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9

as others noted heavy incense and even musk at the top....i'd call it "stinky" but something about it keeps pulling your nose back in to try it.....as honey like sweetness starts peering through as the fragrance developes, it smoothes out the initial sharp overtones...it settles into earthy quiet musk with amber overtones.....overall a scent done in a much more classical style than i'm used from Bond line and is not my cup of tea....but a very well crafted scent nonetheless.

Andy Warhol Lexington Avenue by Bond No. 9

mmmmmm......coffe, vanilla, licorice and a bit of candy thrown in at the top....and all so darn creamy....I would classify this as a modern unisex gourmand oriental....perfect for a romantic date or night out on the town.....might be a bit too sexy for the office....which makes it perfect for me. Thumbs Up

Desmond Hume's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Strong, peppery, overwhelming, nauseating, rotten, overrated frag ... you can choose.
    Want something fresh, natural, light, clean and from the Hermès-house?
    Buy Eau d'orange Verte!

SirSlarty's avatar

Blu Mediterraneo Tuscan Cypress / Cipresso di Toscana by Acqua di Parma

A cypress I can deal with. Most of the time cypress just comes off as chemical and airy to me. However, the downside to the fragrance for me is that it's a bit too "perfumey". Perhaps it's the over abundance of herbs and citrus that go crazy here.

maranne's avatar

Austria Austria

Wrappings by Clinique

I used to wear it as a student and have come back to it almost 18 yrs later. There is something about that I find irresistible.

maranne's avatar

Austria Austria

Aromatonic by Lancôme

It is uplifting and green, refreshing and summery. Is there anything better?

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons

At first blush, I thought Comme des Garcons's Vettiveru was a strong contender for becoming my favorite vetiver. Its warm yet delicate vetiver beauty has a wonderful overlay of floral notes which helps it avoid the harshness of Guerlain's Vetiver Pour Elle (and clearly Guerlain's very masculine Vetiver). I also would say that Vettiveru is a bit more ladylike than Le Labo's Vetiver. In any event, when I intially applied it, I found its light scent to be extremely pleasant. However, that is what leads to its downfall. The problem with Vettiveru is that after about 20 minutes, it settles into a very pale, almost soapy version of its once beautiful self and then quickly peters out. Such a shame!

Here are the notes courtesy of The Perfumed Court: vetiver, bergamot, neroli, and white cedar.

eo01 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

E0 01 is a very pretty perfume from the biehl parfumkunstwerke line that starts off quite sweet, much sweeter than the notes below would suggest. After a couple of minutes a warm spicy cardamom note starts to develop and I am slightly reminded of Aftelier’s Tango. From there, a pretty symphonic floral fragrance emerges along with unexpected but very charming hints of chocolate. The cocoa note is delicate but hangs around and that is the scent which keeps wafting towards my nose as EO 01 settles in for the long haul. The middle/base of EO 01 has a marked hint of powdery luxuriousness that I associate with aldehydes, a good example of which is Le Labo’s Aldehyde 44, and a bad example is Etat Libre d’Orange’s Rien. EO01’s final phase is comprised of warm, slightly spicy woods that are so well blended that it is hard to isolate a particular note.

In short, EO 01 is an elegant, gracious fragrance and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys this genre of perfumery (which I do!). Well done, Egon Oelkers!

Here are the notes, courtesy of The Perfumed Court: Top: tangerine, blood orange, cardamom, muscat, apricot, cocoa, Middle: rosewood, pimento, iris, orchid, lily of the valley, Base: styrax, vanilla, cinnamon, tonka beans, cedarwood, vetiver, patchouli.

eo02 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

EO 02 is a zippy perfume from the biehl parfumkunstwerke line which would appeal someone (male or female) who enjoys light, unisex herbal fragrances with a twist. At first, it started off a little unpromisingly with a strong, perfumey, sharp green, almost generic “man’s fragrance” smell. But – it just needed time! Once it settled onto my skin, I became entranced. The thyme note was unexpected but a very intriguing addition to the composition, especially when coupled with fir and sandalwood in the middle notes. Rose and jasmine eventually appeared in the base which made it wearable for a female but still, it would be great to smell this on a man. I didn’t catch much of the base notes listed below- maybe a little patchouli if I really tried. Which is just as well since I am not much of a fan of heavy oriental perfumes. Overall, EO 02 was refreshing and I very much enjoyed it. Well done, Egon Oelkers!

Here are the notes, courtesy of The Perfumed Court: Top: bergamot, grapefruit, galbanum, cardamom, coriander, Middle: thyme, davana, fir, rose, jasmine, carnation, Base: atlas cedarwood, patchouli, sandalwood, incense, vanilla, cinnamon, amber.