Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

bbBD's avatar

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

The reviews of the fragrance below are simply too good to improve upon, especially buzzlepuff's description and floatingpoint's analysis that this a fragrance better suited to wearing than sniffing on a wrist. I will therefore relate my experience with Ambre Narguile.

I like gourmands and was made a special trip to a Hermes boutique while traveling just to try this. I made the horrible mistake of zapping the back of my hand with two full sprays. I almost choked it was so strong and overpowering, and therefore I wasn't that taken with it. I ended up buying the Hermessence 4-pack of travel bottles, which includes this. Playing with Ambre at home, I came to learn that a fine mist - one spray from a distance - is the correct dosage for this fragrance to appreciate it. It must be diffusely applied and not concentrated in one area on the skin. One such spray on the chest/lower neck area, and perhaps one misty spray on each arm, allows the wearer to be enveloped in the most wonderful aroma of spicy-vanilla-amber-cake for hours and hours. Unlike the other Hermessences, this is not minimalist, it throws significant sillage, and lasts forever.

If I were to spend $210 on a 100ml bottle of one Hermessence, I'd be hard pressed to decide between this and Vetiver Tonka.

Thumbs way UP!

bbBD's avatar

Blu Notte pour Homme by Bulgari

This opens with huge gobs of synthetic ginger like it's brother, BLV, only there's a little more going in with Notte to counterbalance the ginger. Unfortunately it's just enough, and even though I catch traces of notes I really enjoy, like chocolate and light florals, the ginger is so medicinal (or 'baby wipe' as people put it) and unpleasant that it cannot save this fragrance. I have a twice used 50ml bottle sitting in its box waiting for the day it is traded to someone who will give it a good home.

jalexhrovat's avatar

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

This is a great masculine fragrance from a time when they knew how to make a good, solid men's fragrance and wasn't afraid about it being too overpowering.
    When I wear this, it casts an aura around me that says gentleman.
    I'm not afraid to put a few sprays of this on for work. It is stronger than most contemporary fragrances, but not too strong. I think any man would be very comfortable wearing this one. Sillage is ok and longevity average.

Great, classic fragrance. Thumbs up.

jalexhrovat's avatar

Curve Crush for Men by Liz Claiborne

I unfortunately own this. Got it before I knew better. The original Curve is decent, but this isn't good at all.
    I now use this one as an air freshener in my car.

timaru's avatar

Germany Germany

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

wow, first impression is a big hit of coconut (?), i loooove coconut.
    after a few minutes however it calms down to some sweet ambery mainstream stuff.
    i smell herbs, too but cant smell the tobacco at all.
    unfortunately nothing special and definetely not worthy to be named THE ONE.
    i would have expected some extraordinary, something daring after the let down with LBPH but looks like they stay on the cant fail to badly side.
    not too bad but thats it

oolala30's avatar

Love in Black by Creed

I anxiously awaited the release of this fragrance, huge Creed fan that I am. I headed to Neiman Marcus shortly after the SA called me to let me know that the fragrance was there. Upon arrival I saw the beautiful bottle sitting on the display and was so happy to finally try this long-awaited fragrance. I sprayed the fragrance on a strip, waited a few seconds and then lifted the strip to my nose to take my first whiff of this fragrance which I knew would be one of the fragrance loves of my life. EWWWWW!!! I was horrified!! First sniff was total hate!! However, no worries. I know that the paper strip doesn't really do fragrances much justice so I obtained a sample from the SA so that I could take it home and try it. I was unable to try it on my skin at the store due to I was already wearing a fragrance and did not want to compromise LIB by mixing it with what I was wearing.

Anyway, after arriving back home and washing up for the evening, I once again tried out LIB. EWWWWWW!!!! I still hated it. I sniffed it over and over again because I noticed that one note in this perfume seemed to be the 'killer' of this fragrance for me. I cannot tell what it is although it is very dominant on my skin. I am going to keep trying it and sniffing it.... not to try to make myself like this fragrance...that will never happen. My objective is to try to identify the note that I hate in it so that I can stay away from it. The notes listed for LIB all seem as though they would work for me because they are in a number of other fragrances that I own. Maybe its the way this mystery note combines with the others that makes this smell so awful on me.

Needless to say, I have taken Love In Black off of my wishlist. I dont like and will never buy it.

Mitsouko by Guerlain

Mitsouko is one of a handful perfumes marketed to women that I wear comfortably. I find the EDT works well as a masculine on my skin. It is a mystical experience to wear a chyphre that is so beautifully constructed yet stripped down to its basic structure. Along with that famous peach note, it is a striking chord: Bergamot and Oakmoss. What a concept, and executed magnificently by Jaques Guerlain. The reformulations don't bother me one bit. It's still Mitsouko, and it smells divine. I'm just glad that my skin wears it well, and I don't end up smelling like my Grandmother!

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

Caron is such a wonderful house. They have given me some of my favorite scents. I don't know if I agree with Luca Turin's comment about Troisième being too just too pretty, but I do like it a lot. It's a type of fougère but the lavender is treated very lightly. There is a soft herbaceous accord on the top which transforms itself into a floral sweetness which then moves into an unexpected woody base which leaves its undeniable mark and then dries down yet again into a soft ambery vanilla. How many colognes is this? Maybe they should have called it the Fourth Man. Life's too short to wear anything but the best, so I'm glad I have Number 3 in my wardrobe!

Maxims pour Homme by Maxims

Maxim's PH reminds me a lot of the experience I get when I wear Patou PH. Not as spicy, but many similarities. It is absolutely lovely. I don't really smell the 80's in this one at all. It smells extremely classic, elegant and French. From the lavender/citrus opening through the masculine florals into the delicious woods and resins in its base, this is a real winner. Maxim's is one of my very favorite masculine scents.

Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain

Mouchoir de Monsieur is another historic Guerlain masterpiece that I'm glad I own. It's obvious (to me) that it is Jicky's brother. I enjoy MdM when I don't want the in your face civet of Jicky (although Jicky carries it masterfully). This is a classic gentleman's scent which you won't smell many men wearing. It is a sophisticated lavender topped fougère that cannot fall out of fashion. I treasure my bottle because one never knows about these classics being available in the future.

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Everyone has already said it all. Sweet, spicy, woody, balsamic oriental goodness. If you don't like sweet, you may not like Opium PH. I love it.

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui is an excellent masculine chyphre. This is one powerful blast of flowers, woods and spices. I detect a nice dose of leather in the dry down on my skin that lasts for hours. Perfect for those moods when you want to be noticed!

Patou pour Homme (original) by Jean Patou

Patou pour Homme is one of the finest men's scents I am fortunate enough to own. It starts out very herbaceous and loud. I'm not partial to the opening personally. It seems to die out almost completely when it reaches the carnation phase and then out of nowhere the woods (excellent sandalwood among them), mosses and labdanum rise up like a phoenix from the ashes. This final phase lasts for hours and hours on me. FYI, if you like this one, you may want to find a bottle of Maxim's PH and see if it doesn't suit your liking as well.

Patou pour Homme Privé by Jean Patou

Patou pour Homme Privé has one of the best lavender accords I've smelled balanced with a base which creates a dance somewhere between a fougère and an oriental. The lavendar seems to last far into the life of the fragrance. This scent is fresher and more pleasing to my nose in its upper accords than Patou pour Homme, but equally as satisfying in the extended dry down of woods and resins. As is so common, something this good is not commercially available and is getting increasingly more difficult to find.

Trafalgar by Truefitt & Hill

Trafalgar is a spicy little jasmine number with below average longevity and sillage. The pyramid denies any trace of a fruit note, but it is easily perceived as having a couple of mellon balls floating inside. It's a polite scent which I can't imagine causing offense in any manner. I like it well enough, but I tend to grow tired of it after a while (so it's a good thing it doesn't last all that long). I liked it in the store, so I bought it; but I doubt I'll make it through my whole bottle. If I do, I really doubt I'd buy a new one.

Vetiver by Guerlain

About 35 years ago (when I was a VERY young boy mind you), I was given a little miniature bottle of Guerlain Vetiver along with a couple minis of some other scents which I can't remember. I loved Vetiver and wore it often. I'm pretty sure I was the only kid my age wearing cologne at that time, but I drained that bottle. I had pretty much forgotten about this one until fairly recently. I have heard that our memories of smells are fairly accurate, and to my nose this one smells identical to the one I had all those years ago. I read of how horrible the current incarnation of Vetiver is since all the reformulations, but I still love it as much as I did when I was a kid. It's a classic spicy, woody, citrus, tobacco scent that works for me in all times and in all situations. I hope I'm never without it!

January, 2010 Update: Having procured a vintage bottle of Vetiver (brown juice) I must say that I do agree that the reformulation is not as rich as the former formulations. This particular vintage (1998) has a much more prominent nutmeg component, a reduced tobacco note and a much more pronounced pure vetiver note. I think that the current formulation is very good, but perhaps due to restrictions, it is not quite as satisfying as earlier incarnations of the scent. Either way, this is an excellent fragrance.

19 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 27 January, 2010)

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I detest the opening. For some reason this particular lavender/citrus accord on the top with tons of clove poking through doesn't work at all well on my skin. When I first tried it I thought, "Oh God, this is gross!" I was growing very tired of giving it time do develop and was on my way to the sink to wash it off when all of a sudden the musk/vanilla/sandal accord (which is the true star of this show) materialized at once. My heart melted! Mmmm! As if I was channeling Edina Monsoon, I yelled "This is the one, sweetie!" I am making it through the very generous sample sent to me by the good people at Frederic Malle, and I'll be ordering myself a nice big bottle of this juice! I may even learn to love that strange opening.

New York by Nicolaï

Patricia de Nicolai is one of my favorite perfume artists. It is largely because of New York that I hold her in such high esteem. To me New York is Nicolai's homage to her Guerlain heritage. It is very Guerlainesque. Although they are very different fragrances to New York, I smell a tip of the hat to both Mouchoir de Monsieur and Habit Rouge. When she first launched New York Nicolai described it simply as a masculine oriental. And what an oriental it is! With its lavender/citrus opening New York begins its harmonious but complex spicy/resinous/woody symphony. It lasts a good long time, and it smells sublime! One of my top ten favorite masculine scents, New York is Nicolai's Tour de Force.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I can certainly understand the objections to the smell of Agarwood from many people in M7. Yet in my experience, once applied the medicinal smell is transformed immediately into a gorgeously sexy woody accord. I'm not sure about actual mandrake root in this fragrance, but it certainly has a magical effect on me when I wear it. A winner on my skin!

Woody, aromatic, sensual, slightly animalic.

Nicolaï pour Homme by Nicolaï

Nicolai Pour Homme is a scent that is very wearable for me. I love the opening. I don't object to mint as much as a lot of reviewers here do, but even so the mint is dealt with very delicately in this scent. This scent is green, but not too green, woody but not too woody. It's a fougère but not completely. It's masculine but not too masculine. I was addicted to it when I first bought it. I still reach for it frequently. People aren't used to a fragrance like this as it is so unique, so I get many compliments when I wear it. It's a nice one this.

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I'm not often in the mood for a barbershop fix, but some situations call for it more than others. This is one of the better of this category of fragrances available. Rive Gauch PH ties with Azzaro in my book for "barber shop" fougere scents, the dry down is excellent!

Timbuktu by L'Artisan Parfumeur

My perception of Timbucktu is a dry, peppery/floral accord on a couch of masculine olibanum and anchored to a base of myrrh and vetiver. I love it. This scent has incenses but it's dry and wearable, not churchy. This is a thoroughly composed perfume with no pretense whatsoever. I have worn it in many types of occasions: business, casual and formal, and it always feels right in place!

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford

I was at Heathrow airport in the new terminal 5 a while back. We had some insane layover, so we decided to do what any normal American would do, we went shopping. I can't remember the store we found the Tom Ford Private Collection in, but I had never actually smelled any of them, so I was freaking out with excitement. My S.O. knows I'm into scents but didn't understand the true depth of my condition until that moment. I remember being mesmerized only by one in the collection at the time, and it was Noir de Noir. The dollar being weak, I was talked into waiting to make a purchase until I got back in the States. I couldn't stop thinking about that gorgeous rose! I don't usually go gaga over rose scents, but this one had me transfixed. I had no idea where to find it. As luck would have it my local Nordstrom is the only one in the chain that carries the line and I was able to buy a bottle.

Noir de Noir is deep and sensual to me. It has that saffron/rose thing going on throughout the whole development. The oud is always there lurking in the background making its presence known. I'm not sure I would know how to pick out the black truffle note. I've eaten a truffle before, but I have never smelled truffle absolute. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the mysterious depth of character to this perfume which is very anchored to a mossy bottom note. The whole experience lasts for a very long time before it finally dries down to a vanilla accord that seems to be the base in many of the Tom Ford Private Collection. I'm still on the fence about several of the Ford line, but this is a real winner in my book. I'm only glad I didn't have to fly back across the Atlantic to find it again!

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

I like it, but I know Tom Ford is capable of scents that are much more interesting. The quality is there, the sillage and longevity are all excellent, but it becomes a little, "so what" to me after a while. I'm glad I own it, but I rarely wear it, since there are so many more interesting fragrances which I find much more pleasing in my wardrobe. My purchase of this one is an example of one of the rare times I allowed myself to purchase a fragrance based on sales hype rather than my nose. Not a stinker by any sense of the imagination, but it smells pretty mediocre to me. Who knows? It may grow on me like so many others have. I haven't given up on it yet.

gandrasta's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

If this were a color, it'd be light breeze forest green. I kind a smell something smoky somehow. I live at tropical country so i think sun has taken so much from its original smell. This will be so much freshness with subtle floral at the first time. In a few minutes, on the hard sun exposed, it turns to dry leaves and humidity. The last hit is a little bit sweet and green ash. I love how the greenery evaporated trough my collar. Sweat and heat makes the smell even better. This is so great for summer or extremely hot season. superb!

adj effect:
    Level 1: strange, curious, and confident.
    Level 2: fresh, fun.
    Level 3. sexy, feminine.

Well umm, is this for men too?

gandrasta's avatar

Indonesia Indonesia

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

this is become my everyday smell. I wore terre to office and lounging at the side of the street with my friends. They found terre is so fresh. bit too orange at the first time, but it blend so well with my skin and tropical weather to be subtly woody and deliberately fresh. I love Ellena

Vetiver by Guerlain

I sampled this in a comsmetics store, and I really liked it.
    It is sporty and elegant, reminiscent to me of the summer time because of so many summers spent in Quebec in the company of cedar hedges and pine trees.

It, unfortunately, smells too old for me. This isn't because of any intrinsic old-man quality of the fragrance. Indeed, it smells very fresh and sporty. The problem is that my generations' fathers wore scents like Vetiver.
    And it's awfully hard to find something sexy when it reminds you of your father.

Another criticism I have of Vetiver is that, at least for me, it is a little too reminiscent of other fragrances that one can get for cheaper. The opening is unfortunately a lot like the cheap English Leather, with the middle notes and base notes a little too much like the original Polo by Ralph Lauren. In fact, when I came home from the store, my left arm still smelling quite strongly of Vetiver,
    my father remarked that, if I had wanted to get Polo, he would gladly have parted with his old bottle.

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

It is very unique. This means that it takes getting used to.

Once you've got used to it, of course, it smells wonderful. At first whiff there's an interestingly exotic melange of sweet fruity notes--many of which are derived from elements unused in perfumery.
    After a while it becomes less pronounced, leaving behind a warm and sweet (and refreshingly familiar) smell that, though still faintly reminiscent of its bizarre opening, is very inoffensive.

Once you've gotten used to it (and once it dries a bit), you'll love it.

My problem with this, however, is that, if it takes getting used to, how could it possibly attract someone of the same/opposite sex? I mean, it's downright offensive until you warm up to it, so it's really not much of a compliment-getter until it dries down to its warm vanilla base.

So, for your own pleasure, spray this well before you leave the house, and, for the pleasure of others, leave once it's had some serious time to dry.

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

I sampled it and loved it.

Surprisingly, it seems to be composed of two entirely different fragrances. At first it is a nice, warm wood with a pronounced element of citrus. After an hour or so, it's basically a powdery chocolate cake.

It is certainly one of the more youthful Guerlain fragrances (though Mouchoir, given the affinity for flamboyance displayed by today's teenagers, may be up there too, despite its age) for men, and I would certainly recommend it.

It also lasts a ridiculously long time. I sprayed a tester ten hours ago. I have since showered, and I can still smell l'Instant on my wrist.

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Sick and tired of the excessive lemony freshness of what everyone else my age is wearing these days (at least in Montreal), I've been on the prowl for a spicy and woody scent that doesn't make me smell like a sober, fifty-something year old accountant.

I thought I had found that with Dirty English, being simultaneously youthful, sexy, and woody/spicy. I must say that, when I first decided to buy it, I loved it. It smelled woody and warm without a trace of the conservatism I was trying to avoid.
    However, after you wear it for a few days, you start to grow weary of it. It's spiciness is a little too tame, it's warm woodiness watered down by it's unnecessary citrus elements.
    It just leaves a lot to be desired.

Plus, it has an air of adolescent obnoxiousness about it; it smells like Abercrombie and Fitch stores, to be frank.

And I really don't want to smell like that.