Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Confetto by Profumum

I got a sample of this as I was enamoured by all the reviews of it and the almond ,sugary notes to it ...how it is similar to Hypnotic Poison .To me, this smells absolutely nothing like Hypnotic Poison .It is a very strange fragrance - it smells like..... a new plastic doll does , straight from the box- there is a weird plastic note to it that eventually fades abit .I am sorry I cannot stand this perfume - as much as I wanted to love it . It makes me feel physically sick and it's not the sweetness - it's that twangy plasticky top note .

Edit: Some 4 years later ! I don't know what happened but most likely my ability to appreciate different niche scents and the downright weird has improved somewhat over the years.
    Confetto now gets the green thumbs up from me after the red thumbs down for years.
    I do get the Hypnotic Poison connection very much now and the irony is that I prefer Confetto to HP as I think the quality of HP has gone downhill since the new formulation and packaging.
    Confetto's vanilla and almond notes are by far superior to HP these days and there is more anise in Confetto . Love it. How's that for a 360 from hate to love ? No more nausea for me re. Confetto. :)

19 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 06 August, 2012)

Gold Woman by Amouage

Gold smells like powder and aldehydes and has a plasticky muteness to it, like hitting your nose against a wall. I get a soapy taste in my mouth when I inhale it. Other than that, it's... floral? Green floral? But not a modern cool, aquatic and citrusy green floral, a really old-fashioned warm, powdery and spicy green floral, positively drenched in aldehydes. Very far from golden, this scent is blindingly white.

Eden by Cacharel

Eden smells like the juice of citruses and exotic fruits dripping in the dust on an outdoors fruit market in the dry period. It hasn't been raining for months and the dust gets in your nostrils and everywhere, but it's not very hot, the sky is covered with a suffocating layer of clouds or smog. The fruits are out of season, haven't got enough water, are either unripe or have been picked unripe and gone overripe and quite bad since nobody wants to buy the poor tasteless things.
    Eden is nothing like a jungle or rainforest.
    Eden is original, that much I admit. Dry and dusty and stale and musty and sour and sickly sweet unlike any other scent. And strong too - I fear this scent is guilty of many cases of suffocation on public transport, when someone who has been wearing too much of it for too long has habitually sprayed it on. It's odd, and oddly familiar. I've probably smelled it on a lot of women in my granny's generation, which is odd considering the scent is from the 90s, but it "feels" much older, at least like a 70s creation... Perhaps I actually smelled it on younger women when I was a kid? It feels "old" to me, anyway.
    One thing that can be said for Eden is that it suits its bottle very well. That cheap-looking plasticky thing with its very retro cool, muted, slightly grey-tinted green hue corresponds to the supposedly "green" scent gone horribly dry and dusty and synthetic.

Cristalle Eau de Parfum by Chanel

Cristalle smells like cut grass galore. After a while on skin, it softens and warms up slightly and develops a more powdery/aldehydic quality beside the cut grass that is still going strong. At this stage, it reminds me of the smell of dandelions - not just the flowers but the entire plant. I don't mind the smell of dandelions, but it's not something I want on my skin as the harsh, sour green notes can get a little sickening.

L'Eau d'Hiver by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This does not smell like "eau chaude" (warm water) to me. It smells like cool or possibly lukewarm water. It's definitely watery, soft and transparent, but also fruity in a sort of synthetic, abstract, apricotty, osmanthus-like way. Maybe that's an impression created by the iris and heliotrope? The iris here is not dark, rooty and earthy, nor is it as cold and metallic as it sometimes can be, nor as powdery as it is in other incarnations. It's rather a cool, watery, unsweetened, soft, ethereal iris note. I'm not a fan of iris, it's just too cold and "unnatural" and aloof for me. Here it's considerably softened, with that fruity aspect, not an ice queen like Iris Silver Mist or a root pulled up from wet soil along with carrots like Hiris. Still, it has the same, to my nose synthetic, coolness that I find offputting. Fans of Osmanthe Yunnan might appreciate this fragrance, I think they are very similar sort of pretty and soft yet chic and resolutely artificial florals. Despite the scent being soft, I feel it's wearing me - and nagging me for not having spent hours creating a "natural" "effortless" makeup and ironed my expensively casual clothes... A "comfort scent" for Very Preppy People.

Aiona's avatar

Messe de Minuit by Etro

I was told that this has an incense note, and that is why people like it so much. My earlier experiences with incense have been with John Varvatos and Le Labo Rose 31, and I have to say that I prefer both of those over Messe de Minuit. There's some smell in Messe de Minuit that I don't like. Maybe patchouli? Maybe the combination of orange with incense? Or maybe the sample I tested has gone bad! Sillage is pretty much nil (which was good for me!). It's just not my kind of fragrance.

tvlampboy's avatar

Babe by Fabergé

Soapy, musky white floral that seemed to last forever on the skin. (Think Charlie with less exuberance and more sexiness.) A favorite with girls when I was in high school, and a favorite of mine even now (when I can still smell it). My aunt had a bottle forever; I think she finally used it up. Pity.

tvlampboy's avatar

Musk for Men by Fabergé

Inexpensive but deliciously skanky musk for men. Very Seventies in its vibe, with just a touch of floral notes to offset the strength of the (no doubt) synthetic musk base. Some patchouli in the basenotes, I believe -- can't remember. Used to get tons of nice comments when I wore this one years ago.

Given its sexiness, well, it's odd that Fabergé ever opted to discontinue this one.

Lisaandtheword's avatar

Amethyst Fatale by Oriflame

Purple-smelling boudoir scent.. soft but deep, l'heure purple. Verrry similar composition to me, but not as heavy & somber as LHB can be, a touch different flavor.. I like this much better. More mellow than most iris/rose combo's out there, not so bright. In flavor it reminds me of Anna Sui, but not as sweet. Richer & smoother w/ the nice amber. I like its mix of classic romantic feel w/ a little modern feel. Nice sillage too.

odysseusm's avatar

Royall Bay Rhum by Royall Lyme of Bermuda

Gentlemen, I have called this meeting to discuss the overlooked element in Royall Bay Rhum. That, dear colleagues, is C-L-O-V-E-S! I am not talking about a little bit of a spicy note. I am talking about a great big guy banging a huge brass gong labeled ‘cloves’ until my head hurts. I am more than a little surprised that no one has mentioned this 800-pound gorilla. One reviewer’s phrase “medicinal harshness” hints at it. Think of the infamous scene in the movie “Marathon Man” where the Laurence Oliver character (a dentist) is torturing the Dustin Hoffman character. He alternately probes an exposed tooth nerve and then applies oil of cloves, which soothes the pain. Well, here the cloves IS the pain and the torture, and it is a medicinal harshness indeed. I don’t get green bay-leaf notes, nor menthol/mint ones, nor coniferous or pine notes. Any of those would be nice. Oh, did I mention that I do get clove notes? Now, a little clove can add a charming barbershop aura to a scent, and I like some fragrances with that hint. But this is relentless, over-the-top, and a scrubber. Peace be unto those who like it, I am not among that select crew. If, as one reviewer suggests, there are worse ones than this… I shudder to contemplate such a thing.

gerbert's avatar

English Fern by Penhaligon's

Definitely smells like a men's fragrance to me. Herbal and complex, it has a rich earthiness to it. The dry down is subtle, clean, and sophisticated.

jathanas's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

Bvlgari pour Homme is an exceptional fragrance. I get the tea more than the bergamot, in the opening. It evolves in a subtle, close to the skin manner to a clean musky-tea accord. The strength of this fragrance is more about the sum of the parts and less about how many individual accords one detects. It projects so appropriately. An eloquent scent that doesn't need to scream. Exquisite!

Anthony87's avatar

Mogul by Parfums Raffy

Very similar to Joop! Nightflight (citrus, clean laundry) but not as outgoing, different or refreshing.
    Also not particularly good longevity.
    It is still very nice smelling, however I wouldn't buy a bottle when I already own 2 bottles of Nightflight.

cid1204's avatar

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

Just tried today at the airport and it forced me to write my first review. Well, start was close to the CK Euphoria (that´s not that bad), little sweet, but nice. Lady at the Greek duty free shop told me, that when the cologne settles down it will be completly different. She was right. Hour later I was not able smell nothing. Others parfumes that I tried was detectable long after flight, but Armani Diamonds faded away hour after I left shop. Not worth 46 euro. But I am ready to give AD another chance. Maybe the Diamonds Intense will solve the problem.

SirSlarty's avatar

Silver Light by Escada

Strange green aromatic and sweet fragrance. Reminds me of a powdery Cool Water.

Vraie Blonde by Etat Libre d'Orange

I like a dose of luxurious aldehydes now and then, and had good memories of smelling Vraie Blonde in NYC at Henri Bendel back in May of this year. My recollection was that Vraie Blonde was definitely the most pleasant scent in the intentionally weird Etat Libre d’Orange line which, upon reflection isn’t saying much, I guess.

Anyways, I purchased a sample to see if Vraie Blonde could be for me. Unfortunately, the top notes had that dreaded shampoo smell. A high-end floral and musk scented shampoo, but shampoo nonetheless. After 10-15 minutes, the powderiness of the fragrance emerged with peach and myrrh notes peeking out ever so slightly which made the composition a little more interesting. I got a tiny amount of patchouli in the end by really, really smelling for it. Lasting time: About 1 ½ hours. In conclusion, would I wear Vraie Blonde? Yes. Is there a similar perfume that I like a lot better? Yes – Le Labo Aldehyde 44.

Here are the notes for Vraie Blonde, courtesy of The Perfumed Court: aldehydes, champagne, rose, peach, white pepper, myrrh, patchouli and suede.

parfums*PARFUMS Luxe: Champaca by Comme des Garçons

My first thought when I smelled CdG's Luxe Champaca was “Ooh, wow! This is beautiful!” And it is. It smells exactly like a lush, juicy, tropical white flower and is miles away from CdG’s usual minimalist, understated style. Simply put, Luxe Champaca is a very pretty, girly strong floral perfume. Since I’ve never smelled a champaca flower before, I am going to say that it smells predominantly of tuberose (and somehow jasmine, although that is not listed in the notes). I can also detect slight cardamom and pepper notes peeking in. However, Luxe Champaca is Miss Tuberose’s domain and she seems pretty determined to keep everyone else firmly in the background!

Caveat: I liked smelling Luxe Champaca on my wrist for testing/review purposes but given its strength and sillage, I don't think I would ever personally want to wear this, nor would I buy it. This is one perfume that would definitely wear me!

Here are the notes, courtesy of The Perfume Court: white pepper, angelica, cardamom, champaca, bird pepper, tuberose, white musk and iris wood.

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

I've recently begun exploring Comme des Garcons' incense line and have been impressed with their mastery of this genre. So, I was pretty jazzed about trying a sample "Monocle One Hinoki" (whatever that name is supposed to mean) which I bought when one of the on-line perfume decanters had a recent sale. A full bottle of this stuff is pretty expensive - it retails for $145 for 50 ml.

Anyways, I am sorry to say that Hinoki was a complete and utter let down. It smells EXACTLY like the smell you get when you enter a musty old wooden attic filled with decades old debris (broken wooden rocking chairs, dusty cribs, yellowing books- you get the picture!). It is really a shame that CdG is marketing Hinoki as a precious fragrance worthy of such an astronomical price tag. I did detect a bit of leather in the middle/base note when the musty note faded away but in general, Hinoki didn't stick around long. Which was just as well. For a leathery incense with a bit of verve, I would highly recommend instead CdG's Ouarzazate which is about a quarter of Hinoki's price and is much, much better.

Per The Perfumed Court, here are Hinoki's notes: hinoki wood, greenery, frankincense, moss created after soaking in a hinoki wood bath in Kyoto (?!?), turpentine, camphor, cedar, thyme, pine, Georgian wood and vetiver.

bbBD's avatar

Amber Absolute by Tom Ford

On first application I wasn't too thrilled with Amber Absolute.... too sweet, too syrupy. Luckily I've learned that making judgment calls on one wear is a rookie mistake!

On second wear I put two diffuse sprays on the back of my hand and went to work. The beginning was the same story - sweet, vanilla amber so thick it could be syrup. However, I soon noticed at work that the most wonderful aroma was wafting in front of me, right over my keyboard. At first I forgot the AA was on my hand and thought it was my scent of the day (Egoiste). I then remembered I had sprayed the AA and found that the two sprays on my hand were giving off the most lovely, resinous incense-like sillage. These dark notes are balanced perfectly with vanilla and amber. Never quite gourmand, Amber Absolute is rich and inviting, with terrific sillage and longevity.

Thumbs UP, and on my 'purchase someday' list!

bbBD's avatar

Coromandel by Chanel

Wow... I know I'm not sophisticated enough with fragrances to write a review that does this justice. The initial notes are strong and somewhat discordant, with a heavy incense and pepper focus. I am utterly transfixed with the dry down and may simply have to buy a bottle. A strong patchouli intertwines with vanilla in such a way as to create a chocolate-esque fragrance - the way yellow and blue make green What is so wonderful is that I can smell, at once, the patchouli, the vanilla, and the combination of the two. Leather and amber enhance and round out the fragrance.

Longevity and sillage are great. Having sampled all the exclusifs I can honestly say there isn't a bad one in the bunch, and I would be happy if any were on my shelf, but if I had to choose one this would be it. Final thought, I find this to be unisex and best and if it was classified as masculine I wouldn't blink. This could be worn by a woman but seems more appropriate on a man.

MissBehaviour's avatar

Germany Germany

Dune by Christian Dior

This is one of the most beautiful fragrances I have ever experienced. It has been a fragrance staple of mine for 13 years, ever since it was given to me as a present for my 18th birthday by a classmate. I love big oriental fragrances, but this is the only oriental fragrance that I know of which possesses such singular, sheer freshness without losing any of the ambery, spicy goodness that characterizes oriental scents. This is sweet without being syrupy, spicy without being musty, sheer without being boring, floral without being old fashioned, with outstanding sillage and lasting power to boot. A joy from first spray to drydown. Classic.

BlackCat's avatar

Moroccan Mint Tea by Ava Luxe

This is a review of the extrait. A nice, refreshing, relatively straightforward fragrance. It opens with a lemon note but fairly quickly changes to mint, tea, and a hint of sugar. The mint smells to me like a cross of spearmint and peppermint, which is good because I associate spearmint with gum. While the mint is the strongest scent, it is well-balanced by the tea.

Mark67's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

A clean, light and classy scent that I can see worn in just about any setting. For whatever reason, I think "Modernism" when I smell it--sleek, unadorned, but with hidden angles and compositional complexity that belie its simple appearance.

It begins with a cymbal crash of bittersweet citrus and earth that is momentarily aggressive and "spiky." And I can see why some do not care for it. But for me the scent is all about that sparkling, mineralic edge that emerges just after, glinting off the peppery, woods/cedar. The orange becomes more "burnt orange peel." It mellows to warm woods in the long drydown.

After an initial positive reaction, my nose may have grown too used to it, and for a few days I was very disappointed by what seemed to me a smell like "burnt rubber." It is possible I overdid it a bit, mistaking its lightness for faintness ("faint" it is not.)

I took a break for a few more days, re-applied, and I'm back to really loving it. If applied lightly, a great, long-lasting scent which could very well be worn daily. The scales tip decidedly to "masculine," but not "macho."

Mark67's avatar

M2 Black March by CB I Hate Perfume

Mossy-green, wet, with strong dirt undertones. An idealized but perfectly natural rendition of earth in spring thaw--just what it claims to be, and as such, a remarkably evocative achievement. But soon enough (too soon?) it dries to a pleasant, nondescript floral-sweet scent (is it the "sap" advertised in the notes?)which I would call a bit anticlimactic. If it is meant to suggest a bloom after a thaw, it is not quite there--but the attempt is very laudable.

Wearability would depend on how much you might want to smell like the damp corner of a greenhouse. Which is pretty cool, if that's your thing.

ausamamira's avatar

Jordan Jordan

Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

i had it as a gift but i did not like it at all... i gave it to my father who doesnt care too much about what he is wearing :) ...

i discovered that i hate any fragrance with Jasmine !!! i dont know why .....

ausamamira's avatar

Jordan Jordan

Must de Cartier pour Homme by Cartier

i was with two of my friends when i tried this fragrance in a shop... guess what .. we all said UGHHHHHHHHH whats this ???? its doesnt smell like a fragrance !!!!!!

mrclmind's avatar

YSL pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

YSL pour Homme is a perfect daytime scent. The Citrus is sharp and clean, the herbal spice is moderate and the vetiver bottom allows for above average dry down. To me it is a clear-cut scent, and I don't get any of the references to BO, or dated '70s cologne that others seem to get. It's a timeless professional smelling scent executed masterfully.

crunkjuice's avatar

Germany Germany

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Includes:

civet, castoreum, costus roots, cumin, labdanum, Moroccan rose, ambergris, ambrette seeds, beeswax, vanilla and patchouli.

Very hard but perfect for me!

zero_ink's avatar

Sri Lanka Sri Lanka

Chrome by Azzaro

smells really cheap but an OK scent. longevity is average

gambit's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Take this review for what it is: The first review from someone new to Basenotes and new to the fragrance world in general.

I've been studying the site and trying samples, trying to figure out what notes work for me, trying to be smart, as I want to smell good but have young kids to rear and not too much cash to flush on blind purchases.

Try some of this, some of that, I'm not sure whether this one is working for me or not, when something hits me I'll know.

Terre d'Hermes. One application and I knew. This one works on me.

I'm not going to embarrass myself going into notes or descriptions and I wouldn't presume to aspire to the level of the sophisticated noses here.

Bought it, wear it, love it.

The journey continues....