Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

gambit's avatar
    gambit

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Take this review for what it is: The first review from someone new to Basenotes and new to the fragrance world in general.

I've been studying the site and trying samples, trying to figure out what notes work for me, trying to be smart, as I want to smell good but have young kids to rear and not too much cash to flush on blind purchases.

Try some of this, some of that, I'm not sure whether this one is working for me or not, when something hits me I'll know.

Terre d'Hermes. One application and I knew. This one works on me.

I'm not going to embarrass myself going into notes or descriptions and I wouldn't presume to aspire to the level of the sophisticated noses here.

Bought it, wear it, love it.

The journey continues....

operabuff's avatar
    operabuff

Vetiver by Guerlain

This is my first review here at basenotes and, of course, I must review my favorite scent, Guerlain Vetiver. I use other scents at times, but mostly I reach for my Vetiver bottles. Clean, crisp, fresh, like having a bottle full of happiness, it makes me want to walk to our grassy meadow and lie down naked under the sun. Or the moon. Which I would, but there are bugs! I absolutely adore this scent. Thank you, Jean Paul.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

It's ubiquitous for a reason - it's a nice, light scent that works pretty well on almost anyone. Fairly intense top notes, the jasmine is very noticeable, but it dries down to its very cool citrus and aromatic wood base notes. It's inoffensive, and though I can't honestly speak to the college crowd, it's not as common as I have read. Still, I would be cautious wearing it, especially on dates or something along those lines, as I have heard "Hey, you smell like my ex boyfriend" once or twice.

Sillage is mediocre, though, and it does not last an incredibly long time, one spray on my wrist will have faded nearly 100% within three to four hours.

Still, it's a good scent, it's very recognizable and like by many people, but use caution.

Gravity by Coty

I wore this a lot during high school, and have some _really_ fond memories when I smell it. That said, I absolutely cannot wear it now.

Top notes are very intense and peppery, and it dries down to a creamy, powdery leather smell. Not bad, but not great.

Pi by Givenchy

Well, it's vanilla and a little spice, and that's about it. Honestly, it's a nice winter scent, and although it's not very complex, it is nice. My wife absolutely loves this on me, and I've gotten compliments about it before, so I can't really complain about it.

Top notes are very spicy and green, but it dries down very quickly to pure vanilla with a touch of cinnamon in the background. Very sweet.

mrclmind's avatar
    mrclmind

Équipage by Hermès

quipage is a lovely masculine floral. The scent opens with a sparkle. A muguet accord in a top note is not extremely common in masculine perfumery, but in Guy Robert's hands it is handled with great discernment. The carnation and pine poke through and lend a more masculine feel to the whole gentle dance, while the jasmine note stays coyly in the background giving support and ambiance. I also smell a distinct clove zing which is probably from eugenol being used in the carnation accord. The Vetiver draws the floral notes down into the base of the fragrance until all that is left is a soft woody leather effect. It's a very tender fragrance. I was too young to wear Équipage when it was introduced but I suspect that floral chyphre scents where probably not very common among men in 1970. I would venture to assume this was somewhat groundbreaking in its day.

20th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 06 March, 2011)

JaimeB's avatar
    JaimeB

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

A chypre of distinction that has become a classic over the years. I find it a pleasure to wear this on festive occasions, but it even feels good just to wear it to work sometimes. The top notes are dedicated to the citrus clan, the middle to the spices and herbs, and the base notes to the woods, mosses, and roots. This is as it "should be" for men's scents: refreshing, intriguing, grounded. Yet this is a formula that gave a new face to male elegance in its day: lemon, verbena, and petitgrain replace the traditional bergamot for citrus; the base note forgoes patchouli for vetiver — and so it has passed from innovative to classic.

Tovah's avatar
    Tovah

Pleasures Delight by Estée Lauder

I like it. A lot. Pleasures Delight isn't as foody on me as it seems to be on others. It's sweet, pretty, and very light. If you're looking for sugar-candy sweet, you may love Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum, or Pilar and Lucy The Exact Friction of Stars. Pleasures Delight has This is one of the few scents my husband has ever commented on, and he said, "You smell good." He usually thinks vanilla-based scents smell like "cookies" or "candy", but he said Pleasures Delight is "pretty". (This means he smells some flowers. Most of the fragrances he likes on me -sadly, very few- are florals.) I don't smell original Pleasure in Pleasures Delights, nor do I smell the kind of strawberry from Miss Dior Cherie. It's along the lines of Hanae Mori Butterfly, but the patchouli dry-down saves it from being as cloying and dessert-like. I used up a whole bottle of this when it first came out, didn't wear it for about a year, and found myself missing it. I repurchased it, and I like it even better than I did originally! It's a fun, easy, happy fragrance that's great for wearing on my adventures with my kids.

FloatingPoint's avatar
    FloatingPoint

Vetiver by Guerlain

A citrusy, Cologne-type opening soon yields to a rich, spicy vetiver. I love vetiver, so what's not to like? This is my favorite masculine from Guerlain, bar none. I love it on my skin, but I also love spraying a little on my bed linens before going to sleep--it's guarantee to give me sweet dreams. If it still smells this good after all of the reformulations supposedly ruined it, it really must have been some kinda fantastic back in the day.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

In the 1980’s Paco Rabanne, Eau Sauvage, and Jules were the scents in my youthful repertoire. Here we are almost thirty years later, and how do things stand up? Well Eau Sauvage is a timeless classic, and I wear it with enjoyment. But curiosity got the best of me, and I decided it was time to ride the old war-horse Paco. And you know what? It is not as bad as I feared. Micro-doses of this suit today’s scentsibility. Given that, I find much to appreciate. The opening is bracing, crisp and aromatic. It has minty, pine and green notes. Then woods and spices (clove-cinnamon) emerge. The result is a soapy, barbershop vibe. The base notes are rich but not oppressive or deadly sweet… again this will be true if this has been applied in tiny spritzes. The tobacco is restrained and effective, with a brown tangy twang. In my young days I wouldn’t have recognized myrrh but I do now – it is complex, perfumed; and it gives a slightly moody and contemplative air. The dry-down is mossy and soapy; charming and close to the skin. In conclusion, this is certainly worth a try. For me it is no longer a go-to scent. But it is a pleasant blast from my past.

HORACIO GONZÁLEZ's avatar
    HORACIO GONZÁLEZ
    Argentina Argentina

Ultrared Man by Paco Rabanne

FANTASTIC,WARM,ENVOLVES WITH SUGGESTION,IT REMINDS ME OF A COOL ORIENTAL NIGHT,IT`S A GREAT COMPOSITION!

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Emporio Armani He by Giorgio Armani

Starts off powdery, sweet at first but somewhere on top I was reminded of another fragrance. It didn't occur to me until the middle notes appeared that He reminded me of... Iceberg Fluid for Men. It's the funky vetiver. He is a good, casual scent.

Navegar by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Peppery cucumber with a waft of ocean breeze. After it dries down it softens to a very soft woodsy and salty scent, like the wood from an old rowboat that has become waterlogged and is sitting in the sun. The spices show up a little later, stay subtle, and add warmth. I agree with others--Navegar does stay very close to the skin, but that's just fine with me, since I work in the medical profession and need to be very sensitive to that aspect of fragrance! Really, this has become one of my favorite L'Artisans. FBW!

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Sequoia by Comme des Garçons

Unlike other reviewers, I get lots of wood. In fact I get Sequoiadendron Giganteum, the California Giant Redwood! So much so that I fell like I'm planted down right in the middle of John Muir State Park when I sniff this, surrounded by a Giant Redwood grove. Yes, there are some rotting wood notes (what grove would be complete without some fallen giants?) and some fermented boozy and concentrated resinous notes. But this is all part of the forest. Just great! I think this should be the official California State Fragrance! (Oooh that give me an idea for a thread!)

Perfect Vanilla by Creative Scentualization

NOT a perfect vanilla, unfortunately. Weak willed and lily livered. I want my perfect vanilla to be Amazonian in proportion, strong of heart, a little boozy, and a lot more sensual. This fades so fast it's like the ghost of perfect vanilla (or its prepubertal little sister).

Miss Charming by Juliette Has a Gun

A rose is a rose is a rose? Not in Miss Charming, which opens as a soapy, slightly sharp, mildly dusty rose. Once it settles down on the skin, the sharpness softens, though it stays soapy, like roses suspended in very thin and tenuous bubbles of dishwashing liquid. The strawberry is muted, not overly sweet, and gives the fragrance a bit of pucker, as does the lychee. I love the contrast among the soft powdery Moroccan rose, the juicy strawberry, and the sharp/sweet lychee. It works beautifully, and the three notes dance on my skin! Just lovely.

Aldehyde 44 by Le Labo

One of the few powdery fragrances that I love! Aldehyde 44 has a lush, compelling opening of aldehydes with a touch of citrus. As the fragrance dries it just keeps getting softer and cozier. Superbly crafted & balanced, without distinct transitions--similar, in my mind, to the transition of color in ombre fabric! Though, as the fragrance progresses, I smell hints of this note and that note, the only clear cut notes for miles around are the aldehydes. I never knew how wonderful that could be!

Jemimagold's avatar
    Jemimagold

Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

I think that Le Labo’s Patchouli 24 (samples, decants, bottles or what have you) should come with a big flashing warning sign that says “APPLY WITH CARE”! This is quite possibly one of the most intense-smelling, longest lasting fragrances I have ever experienced (which includes Ysatis, Angel, Creeds, Montales, etc..). And as you can see from the volume of my perfume reviews, I like to think that I have smelled a fair amount of perfume.

When I first tried Patchouli 24, all I had was a small sample and lightly dabbed it on a small place on my wrist. Its top note of earthy smoke was readily apparent and reminded me a good deal of CB I Hate Perfumes Burning Leaves but was not quite as sweet. Then, as the drydown continued, wafts of dark, sticky vanilla began to emerge but with the smoke and some leather still hanging tough. I would say that patchouli is actually one of the least recognizable notes in Patchouli 24. Both my boyfriend and I were entranced by this dark and lovely fragrance so I purchased a spray decant.

Before Boyfriend and I embarked on a recent roadtrip, he generously spritzed himself with Patchouli 24 before getting in the car and man, was that ever an intense sensory journey! Accckk. I had to roll the windows a number of times to be able to breathe. Patchouli 24 is not a fragrance for close quarters and I think the car still smells of it . After we returned home, just for experimental purposes, I sprayed Patchouli 24 into a bowl of potpourri to see if it would last there since most perfumes evaporate pretty quickly when sprayed on potpourri. A week later and still counting, Patchouli 24 is proudly in evidence. Le Labo’s website calls Patchouli 24 “A scent filled with danger for those of us who like to walk a tight rope…” and that is certainly true if you cannot handle a tenacious perfume with monster sillage.

Here are the notes for Patchouli 24, as gleaned from the internet: birch tar, patchouli, styrax, and vanilla.

bbBD's avatar
    bbBD

Escentric 01 by Escentric Molecules

What a neat fragrance! This Iso E Super that comprises the bulk of the fragrance creates some interesting olfactory illusions that lend credence to the notion that synthetic does not have to be a bad thing when done properly.

The fragrance is comprised of a perfect balance between lime and light pepper with a touch of incense lurking in the background. These elements wax and wane in strength over the course of application, but never fail to bore or get me to stop smelling my wrist. To date I have only tried a light application, but I get the feeling that with a heavier application I will be able to catch whiffs of lime and pepper throughout the day.

Perfectly unisex, there's no deep story here, no unfolding drama to interpret.... just a fun fragrance perfect for summer, the office or anywhere else you need 'fresh' scent that isn't a '(fill in the blank) Homme Sport' or '(blank) Femme eau Fraiche'.

bbBD's avatar
    bbBD

31 rue Cambon by Chanel

I've this over the last couple days, and regardless of how I try I cannot articulate a review of the fragrance itself. All I can say is that I was captivated from start to finish. At one point I dozed off reading with 31RC on my arm, and I woke up smelling my wrist. Even in my sleep I couldn't help but explore this fragrance! Coromandel might be the most wearable (for a man, at least) of the Exclusifs, but this is by far the most beautiful.

jalexhrovat's avatar
    jalexhrovat

Aramis by Aramis

This as many have already have said isn't for the younger crowd. I fall into this demographic, but I have an affinity for classic fragrances and their complexities and strength. I wore this one today to work, and I felt a little more mature wearing it. This isn't a bad thing and I think that it projects my inner gentleman a little bit better than other fragrances. This is a strong one. The opening is somewhat astringent with the strong bergamot note. This lingers as the middle notes come out and this is wear I detect the spicyness. I do get a hint of cumin, along with cloves and sage. This stage is beautiful. As the dry down continues, the base comes out to play with spicy, woody goodness. I have indeed smelled this fragrance in the past and had no idea what it was. This is in my work collection along with Azzaro PH, Paco Rabanne, Polo, and Creed BdP.
    Thumbs up to a classic.

timaru's avatar
    timaru
    Germany Germany

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

LOOOOVE this frag!!!most definetely one of the best summer or good weather scents ever.
    as others have statet starts of very lemony, almost like frsh grinded lemon skin (which is a good thing as i love lemon), and cools down to a lovely fruity-fresh combination of lemon and vanilla.
    i cant really detect some of the notes but sandalwood, bergamot and tonka i do smell and they round this scent of amzingly.
    even sillage and longevity suprised me, while trying a single shot on one wrist i could smell it distintively for hours and hours.even got a whiff of it after a night.
    defineetely a thumbs up, gets a 10/10 from me.

dgenerator's avatar
    dgenerator
    Bulgaria Bulgaria

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Undoubtedly the best fragrance I have ever smelled. When I first applied it on a test paper the top notes were probably a bit sharper and I didn't like it, however I kept the test paper in my pocket for later review and in just 15 minutes walking by the street I smelled the paper again and was truly amazed by the beauty of this scent. Most of the people are rather neutral regarding the scent, but the more important is that I feel so comfortable and happy wearing this stuff! I feel like I am wearing the best scent ever created for me. And the good news is that this is so different than anything else, also Hermes is not imported here in Bulgaria, so I can really feel unique with it.

mrclmind's avatar
    mrclmind

Habanita by Molinard

Updated review:

I have given Habanita several more wearings since my original review and interestingly don't find it to be either as floral, powdery or as feminine as I originally did. What I get mostly now is a vanilla/vetiver accord that goes on somewhat sweet, but dries down to a much more masculine tobacco base than I experienced in my earlier wearings. This is just another lesson to put a fragrance on the back-burner and give it another chance later. It may grow on you!

21st August, 2008 (Last Edited: 22 December, 2009)

Jestersinthemoon's avatar
    Jestersinthemoon

Derring-Do for Men by Ineke

This is definitely my new favorite scent. One reason I like it is because no one has ever heard of it and most folks that I know don't know where to find it. Lately, I try to be somewhat unique with my fragrances. Its clean citrus and watery fresh smell ( but not oceanic ) on top of a powdery, mossy, fresh musk base. Its not overly crisp and definitely gets warmer over time, but the fresh rain notes lasts well over 4 hours.....I don't really find EdP's for men very often and I find it makes a significant difference in duration and projection. I don't like sweet, musky, or extremely powdery fragrances, and while this has a very slightly sweet lavender/powder scent on the drydown its still clean and fresh. Every girl that has smelled this on me says it makes them want to get naked under a fuzzy warm blanket. If that doesn't make it a winner, I don't know what does!

notesinharmony's avatar
    notesinharmony

Hermèssence Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermès

Have you ever loved and yearned after someone. Someone who liked you well enough, who talked to you and spent brief moments of time with you; but someone who seemed to be as happy leaving you as they were to see you.

I have tried and tried Osmanthe Yunnan; indeed I have tried everything which I know to make this beauty linger with me; it has been like trying to trap sunlight.

I despair of a lasting relationship but I can't seem to stop trying.

Lovely, ephemeral, beauty.

zippy's avatar
    zippy

Iceberg (new) by Iceberg

An odd little fragrance, but fairly smooth without being too sweet. As a matter of fact the sweetness from the supposed pistachio ice cream and vanilla notes is very soft and more of an undertone, but you do get something that smells of melted 31 Flavors pistachio ice cream (as a longtime fan of their pistachio milkshake)! It reminds me vaguely of Gucci by Gucci, with that new style patchouli/whispery base. As a matter of fact, there you go - poor man's G by G (but I only say that because I got my 100ml in a sale for £9!). I do think the pink berries which is listed as a note (on the box as well, where all the notes are listed on the glass as part of the design) is actually pink pepper, because I get no pink fruitiness, just that slightly sharp/tangy smell which seems to be the calling card of a pink pepper note (Sira des Indes, Miss Boucheron, Patou Hip).

the reaper's avatar
    the reaper
    Venezuela Venezuela

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

this stuff is just great. the best ever. i don't notice it after an hour but my wife does during all day. i have 138 diferent fragrances and this is the one that she likes the best.

foetidus

Memoire di Capri by Adrienne Vittadini

Capri is a pleasant fragrance. It is light and clean, and definitely heading in the direction toward transparency. I get mainly a gentle floral / black current opening that is well balanced with sufficient aggression from the black current to keep it from becoming a floral cliché. The middle is a non heady light floral that continues the crispness of the opening. I can’t really determine any individual floral note dominating the accord. The accord is quite nice – nothing to get excited about but attractive and pleasingly casual. I like the base the best because it has a pleasant, clearly identifiable rosewood note that has very good lasting power. I don’t really pick up more than a glimmer of musk in the dry down even though there has been a soft musk background since the opening. The moss is quite soft and complements the rosewood beautifully. Adrienne Vittadimi’s Capri is a fragrance that doesn’t offend. Soft, clean, feminine… it is pleasant and enjoyable and unremarkable.

22 August, 2008

foetidus

Émeraude by Coty

Top: Bergamot, Lemon, Orange
    Middle: Jasmine, Rose, Rosewood, Ylang-ylang
    Base: Opoponax, Benzene, patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla

Opens sharp with an orange / rosewood dominating. It smells a little off, but I like it anyway. Since I don’t remember ever smelling this one, I was first surprised by its sharpness and strength, and then by its quick movement to a gentle softness. I find the rosewood quite prominent in the first half of the fragrance’s life, and I really enjoy the way it performs. On my skin I get no strong floral notes except for the rose. The rosewood continues to stand out until the opoponax, patchouli, and sandalwood show up with the basenotes. Even with the liberal amounts of woodnotes, it does not seem at all masculine. Emeraude is a very nice fragrance – a drug store classic, probably reformulated many times and likely not as good as it used to be, but still much better than its drugstore price would indicate.

22 August, 2008