Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Ginseng Root by Demeter Fragrance Library

As a youth in high school, I did occasional work in the “shang” fields: Large fields covered with a roof of wooden fencing four or five feet off the ground so the valuable ginseng plants would grow in partial shade – the fencing simulated the lighting under trees in a forest. The roots were the parts of the plant that were the object of the all the labor: For a root that is said to contain so much health and energy, it didn’t have a strong aroma. Ginseng Root captures the delicate, healthful, and unusual smell of the root quite well: a clean somewhat medicinal note that vibrates “well-being.” It is a very subtle aroma and it make for a wonderful subtle fragrance that seems to beat the Demeter curse of lack of longevity. For anyone who wants an energizing, sheer fragrance, this could be the one…it is uplifting and unique and has some longevity.

renperd's avatar

South Africa South Africa

One Man Show by Jacques Bogart

Man, this is so harsh with a sparkling bitterness that takes a long time to give way to some woody sweetness in the drydown. After about three hours One Man Show smells rather good and much smoother and friendlier than the initial olfactory assault. Wear it for the hell of it! That is, IF you have a pair... It's an anti-scent in today's context.

Aiona's avatar

Supermodel by Victoria's Secret

Fermented fruit-y floral with a sandalwood base. It smells a lot like other Victoria's Secret perfumes to me. Particularly Rapture. On me, it's sour fruit. Perhaps it's wonderful on someone else.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

273 Indigo for Men by Fred Hayman

Foetidus is right about the similarity, although I think it is closer to Blu Notte than the regular Blu. I do not like Blu Notte and I think Blu is OK...both are too baby powdery for me. Not bad for the price, but not a great scent IMO.

Unforgivable by Sean John

It's MI minus the watermelon and salt air notes. Still nice but expensive for a designer fragrance and longevity is mediocre.

Unforgivable Multi Platinum by Sean John

Very nice. EastonBMW's review pretty much dissected everything here you might want to know. A little more sparklier than the original, better in my opinion. I wish this was not a limited edition though, this deserves a regular line-up spot.

Unforgivable Black by Sean John

Now this is real nice, the best Unforgivable yet! I think fusion's notes below are wrong though, here is what I found that is much closer to what my nose is picking up.

Notes include coconut, kahlua, coffee liquor, calone, pepper, amber and warm woods.

The coconut is very nice and subtle and I detect a hint of rum as well, I suspect that is the kahula and coffee liquor though tricking me. It is just a very well rounded fun scent. I hope it gets added to the line full time.

Clemmie's avatar

Pure Grace by Philosophy

Gorgeous, clean, soapy smell. Absolutely divine.

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Mémoire d'Homme by Nina Ricci

I do not like over masculine spicy woods. But this one is good. Ginger and woods come to stage strong and clear. Blue Cedarwood is nose burning strong but some how still nice.

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Dunhill Fresh by Dunhill

Reminds me of Davidoff with basil, floral top. It is nice and ordinary.

distortech's avatar

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

Don't wear too much of this...eeckk...just one spray of the EDP is a powdery overdose that will not go away. Great if you like that sort of thing, but it's simply not for me.

chengfun's avatar

Le Chèvrefeuille by Annick Goutal

I really like honesuckle. I liked this immediately when I tried it for the first time. It is light and fresh, great for humid days. The honeysuckle note is also noticeable to me in Pure White Linen but it is a much heavier fragrance than this. Even though this is marketed as a feminine fragrance it is not too floral, so I agree with MonkeyManMatt that it can definitely be unisex. Being an EDT the longevity could be better but it is definitely bottle-worthy.

chengfun's avatar

Narcotic Venus by Nasomatto

When I first tried this a few months ago I dismissed it as a rather average heady floral. Then I tried it again the other day and started to appreciate it. Yes, it is heady and floral, but it is also extremely sensual; the hot-flesh quality of the tuberose is very prominent. It reminds me of Renee Tuberose, but whereas Renee Tuberose is quite lady-like, this is very sexy. It is definitely not a cool tuberose like Tubereuse Criminelle. I'm seriously considering adding it to my wardrobe.

gatyke's avatar

England England

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

I'd say Lolita is not as over powering as A*Men.

The first scent that hits you is Liquorice.

So if you're happy to small like Humbert Humbert give it a try.

pasha's avatar

Bulgari pour Femme by Bulgari

This is the scent which you may smell on the street, and get totally mesmerized by its beauty and elegance, and ask yourself: 'only I knew what this fragrance's name is'. It is very well-crafted, undoubtedly feminine, luscious and sparkling, and very very delicate.

Much much recommended to any woman who wants to elevate the level of quality and elegance of her fragrance wardrobe.

pasha's avatar

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

Let me be succinct: It is good, but it is hardly 'very irresistible'.

My sister loves this scent on men, and that's why I gave it a try. It is nice, rather light, but it is very bland to my taste. I would not say this is bad: it is more like 'sure, why not...' type of scent.

It is like that light cream next to a big beautiful chocolate cake; the cream does not necessarily need to be there, but its presence does not annoy you per se. I would recommend this for summer maybe, but it is in no way an Earth-shattering type of cologne. The bottle is chic, yet the spray mechanism has that 'about-to-break any second' type of sensitivity as it is mostly the case with any cap-less one-piece unconventional spray designs.

The notes are not worthy of much discussion.

SirSlarty's avatar

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

This is a very peppery herbal musk. NO sweetness from the amber at all. I get a lot of the cedar and the musk in the drydown. Fairly straightforward. At first I was wondering why this was called "mania" other than a clever pun/almost-anagramed-palindrome of "Armani". I suppose it synth-mania. Sits lightly on my skin. Reaction to this is: "yyeeeeahhh....um nooooo...blah"

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Nautica Classic by Nautica

This is indeed 1 of thee worst scents I have ever smelled! I dont know what Nautica had in mind when creating this stinch..

Gold Man by Amouage

Amouage is like caviar, it takes time to learn to taste it, to understand its value, to appreciate it and to feel its inner beauty. After years of being a loyal fan of Chanel Antaeus, it took me almost 2 years of trying and sampling Amouage. Finally I could feel the difference. There is no way back. All other fragrances can be, or are good, but Amouage is much more than just a good fragrance. Amouage is a classy part of who you can be and what you can feel. You must understand the melody first before you can dare to ask for a dance. I wear now Jubilation, Gold and Silver and my wallet is also much lighter since…

Silver Cologne by Amouage

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

A classic. Long lasting, decent sillage, very versatile. Careful with the trigger, it can get overbearing. In moderation it is a very pleasant scent. Nothing outrageous or outstanding about this Creed, not by modern standards anyway, just a good scent.

Millésime Impérial by Creed

THE KING of citrus scents. Cheers me up whenever I wear it. Longevity does kinda suck, but it's SO NICE while it's there. I have to bathe in this whenever I want to get any sillage/projection. Only problem with this is its copy cat, Unforgivable. Whenever somebody compliments me on this they always think it's Unforgivable. Meh, as long as I enjoy the scent right?

Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

This is vetiver punching you right in the nose. If that's what you're into, like me, then by all means, go for it!!!

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is a mood fragrance. I wear it whenever I feel melancholy and want to wallow in my melancholic state. I can't really wear this fragrance anywhere other than at home. It is very well done, but don't wear this when you want to feel cheery and energetic. You'll just get sucked in by its pensive, melancholic aura.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Absolutely LOVE this stuff!!! Makes me want to jump myself, thank goodness it has the same effect on females :-P. Everything else has been said, it lives up to all the hype.

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

YES! Vetiver, vetiver, vetiver GALORE. Green, fresh, but not weak. Not for everyone though. Only vetiver lovers may enter!

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This really does smell like white suede! I LIKE IT!!! It is rather on the femme side of the unisex scale, but that doesn't bother me. On my skin it doesn't turn too sweet. Not that turning sweet is a problem for me. Good for summer nights IMO. This is the only SL frag. that I own a full bottle of.

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

Super light fresh fragrance. You have to really get your nose into sombody's neck to smell this stuff. It's for those not wishing to make a statment but still wants to smell nice. Too bad it's not stronger though, I really like the mango note.

Soleil de Capri by Montale

Got a decant from Perfumedcourt. I liked how it smelled, just not on me. Gave it to a female friend and she loves it. Smells alot like Versace Man Eau Fraiche and Light Blue. I wouldn't pay the price tag for a full bottle though...