Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

JDLDN's avatar

Millésime Impérial by Creed

I used to wear this all the time on hot summer nights when I was going out. Females used to love it. My sister even bought it for herself. It lasted a long time on my skin. I stopped using it though, when Sean Paul brought out Unforgiveable, as it smells pretty similar. I use Royal Water now when I need something refreshing.

JDLDN's avatar

Coney Island by Bond No. 9

I love wearing this on hot summer days. It is quite sweet and fruity, but still very fresh. It lasts quite a few hours on my skin, and I have had quite a few compliments when wearing this. However for the price, the plastic part of the bottle makes it look cheap.

Annmarie's avatar

Ivana by Ivana Trump

Ivana is my favorite fragrance but when I used the last of the bottle I was never able to find the fragrance again. I've searched everywhere.I would be so happy to find the fragrance again. Is it still around?

vintage*red's avatar

Sacrebleu by Nicolaï

Another beautiful perfume from PdN! It is a kind of oriental floral gourmand with a spicy vanilla incense drydown that rivals Shalimar. In spite of that description, the scent is not too heavy-handed. I always receive compliments when I wear this and I always am eager to recommend Parfums de Nicolai. I like it best in the intense concentration. It isn't stronger; it simply lasts longer. PS Sadly, this has changed. It's initial jam note has been replaced by bubblegum sweetness.It is no longer spicy. It has lost it's incense drydown. Still pretty but not what it once was...

02 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 16 December, 2010)

rubyred's avatar

Fantasy by Britney Spears

I smelt this on a girl in the bank and asked her what her perfume was. Being a bit hesitant about the name I tried it 3 or 4 times before I bought it. Surprisingly it has become one of my favourite day scents - asweet, crisp fruity floral with a definite fresh pick me up which lasts on me 4-5 hours. No change in the dry-down, just fades away. Sweet, fun, easy and uncomplicated. This perfume has garnered me the most compliments from friends, clients and strangers.

02 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 November, 2012)

CoL's avatar

Belle en Rykiel by Sonia Rykiel

I love this stuff! Very easy for a man to wear too (well in my opinion) probably due to the patchouli. Have a sniff guys, you never know!

JaimeB's avatar

Coromandel by Chanel

Pepper, Frankincense, Patchouli, Benzoin, Leather, Woods, Orange Peel, Spice, Dry Amber, Vanilla.

Quite remarkable as a woody oriental, with spice and a hint of leather. It is rather dense, complex at first, but ends in a patchouli-oriental-woody drydown. The name suggests the famous carved and lacquered Chinese screens which were transshipped to Europe from treaty ports, such as the British Fort St. George and the French Pondicherry, along the Coromandel Coast of southeastern India (parts of the current states of Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu). Apparently there were some such screens at the apartments of Coco Chanel, and according to the firm's blurb, these made her "faint with happiness." I suppose the woods in the fragrance represent the screens, and the patchouli and spices are meant to evoke the mysteries of India. If you ask me, this is one of the best of the Exclusifs de Chanel line.

malka_lev_adom's avatar

Slate by Banana Republic

I tried Slate on yesterday, as a potential daytime scent. I must say that I truly enjoyed its freshness, regardless of it being oriented towards men. It seems mild enough to work on women, too. I need to try it a few more times before I make up my mind but this seems great for those days when you just want to be casual, energetic, and assertive.
    As for buying a bottle, we'll see...

malka_lev_adom's avatar

Rosewood by Banana Republic

This is *NOT* rosewood. Please, Dear perfumers at BR, do not name a fragrance after a note that's not even in it!
    The reason I tried this on me (and what a grave mistake that was...) was that I thought it would be a mature, feminine scent just like rosewood is. It was not to be.
    Alas, I was hit with a wave of sweetness straight after application that just kept intensifying into this cloud of cheap, cloying candy.
    Now, I have no problem with sweetness, if it comes in a digestable form - Dior's Hypnotic Poision is a good example of a good kind of sweet.
    But this one... No thanks!

michellefox's avatar

Paris Hilton by Paris Hilton

This frag really works for me, one of my regulars, and almost cheaper than petrol these days. Cold fruit to begin, yeah, i get a kind of watermelon note that warms and combines beautifully with the complex base of not quite amber but something else, which is almost how it stays till it fades away (in a very long time). Not too sweet or overpowering on me at all, i like.

tnamey's avatar

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

This is a paradoxic fragrance. Slightly overpowering at first. Great longevity. The dry-down is wonderful, particularly when used in moderation, and morphs into what I perceive as sweet tobacco, pepper and musk. Not my favorite, and more a cold weather animal. But, nonetheless, quite distinguished and sensual.

03 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th August, 2008)

mikeperez23's avatar

Tuscany per Uomo Forte by Aramis

I wore Tuscany (regular) so much growing up that I felt obligated to atleast sample Tuscany per Uomo Forte.

The scents are strikingly similar, and took me almost an hour into the middle and base notes to realize any difference in the scents. The signature crisp, lemony herbal top notes are still there (my favorite part) but the wood and spice notes that arrive later on tend to give it a shorter diffusion and less longevity. Not worth it, IMO.

There are only a few times when a scent like this is appropriate for my wardrobe these days. If I should need a well done, 80's fougere - the regular Tuscany would do just fine.

Chrome by Azzaro

Where cK one fails, Chrome succeeds. I wish I could explain it. There is a huge similarity between the two, yet when I wear cK one I feel a slightly annoyed yucky feeling and when I wear Chrome I feel great. In fact, when I first tried Chrome I didn't like it because I was immediately reminded of cK one. After a few wearings I noticed that Chrome "danced" and "sparkled" much more.

There is only one problem with Chrome. I've smelled this on other people, and I don't really go around looking for that, so wearing this could possibly get you the dreaded, "oh, you smell like my..."

Thumbs up on smell only, but beware the commonality of Chrome.

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

CRAYON! That's just about all I'm getting out of this. I've worn this when staying home as I do when I first test anything and I've been afraid to actually go out with it on. My days of smelling like a box of Crayola are long since gone. I just can't think anyone could smell this on me and not wonder if I've been staying within the lines.

Still though, I cannot give this a negative for one reason. It is unique. It's also not entirely unpleasant and very interesting which will keep you sniffing yourself after you've sprayed it.

I just don't really want to smell like crayons.

Eternity Summer for Men 2007 by Calvin Klein

No citrus, melony top, cedary bottom. It's terrific, AND, it was only out for one year. I'm going to find me an extra one because this seems to be my go to summer scent this year for when I don't want to smell like anyone else, however, I often pass on spraying it because I know that getting more isn't nearly as easy as getting more of any of my other scents, including the Creed.

Aramis by Aramis

Classic AND classy masculine with a patchouli note that is quite noticeable. Partially smells of civet or sweet spice. Not for the younger crowd!

Baby Blue Jeans by Versace

Mandarin? Lime? If basil was added instead of rosemary this would've smelled exactly like Nouveau Bowery or Lime, Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone. Nice casual fragrance.

Bellagio for Men by Fragluxe

Fresh and spicy. Cool citrus. Reminds me of Curve Chill and many other frags in the begining. Decent and cheap.

Best of Chevignon by Chevignon

Light citrus and green aromatic accords based on a light woody bottom. Quite nice but not for those would dislike subtleness.

Boss Spirit by Hugo Boss

Spicy green leather chypre. Shameful this was discontinued. Not at all like the recent Boss offerings because if doesn't smell like a chemical treatment plant.

Caractère by Daniel Hechter

Stays close to the skin. Came out the same year as Boss Spirit and smell almost exactly like it, just more leather. This is good stuff, too.

Diesel by Diesel

Green and peppery. Floral and sweet. Oh it's also been discontinued and Diesel's been making some really funky smelling stuff.

Etienne Aigner by Etienne Aigner

Mossy oriental. Purely amazing stuff.

Fluid Man by Iceberg

AT first it smelled woody and spicy, like a watery Delcaration but turns into a watery Guerlain Vetiver rather quickly. Keyword here is watery. Meaning light and diluted. It's very nice but not long lasting. The bottle blinds you when the light reflects off its mirrored chassis.

Iceberg Homme by Iceberg

I have a mini of this, about 4mls of it. I have to dump its entire contents in order to get any scent or discerning notes. I got mostly geranium (a herbal minty) and a musky amber. While good, it's waaaay too subtle to be of practical use. Can be found cheap.

Moods Uomo by Krizia

I agree with Jon Remy, this is very close to Cigar. The tobacco in Cigar is much more prevalent but it's here in Moods. It's more sweet in Moods as well. Mods is very potent compared to modern day fragrances. I find this bearable.

Realm by Realm Fragrances

Lavender and juniper berries. Has a vanilla vibe to it. Dunno about these pheromones though. Nice smell.

Trimaran by Yves Rocher

Classic cologne style fragrance. Lemons, oakmoss and woods. Good stuff. The lemon fades but the oakmoss and sandalwood is steadfast.

Zegna by Ermenegildo Zegna

At first I thought it was mild pipe tobacco instead of herbaceous tea. The sage, hay and vetiver accord gives this illusion. Crazy and confused accords.

Brisk Spice by Avon

Refreshing spicy. Almost fougere style, like a spicy Brut. Not very potent but it is long lasting. Cool bottle, too. I was hesitant to try this seeing how I've associated Avon products with makeup and the movie Edward Scissorhands. This is good. I figure that Avon discontinues their products regularly because I recently asked an Avon sales lady about Brisk Spice and she had no idea what I was talking about and she's been in the business for 10 years. Nonetheless, I like this and will be sampling more of Avon's mens products.