Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Very safe, not breathtaking, but it is recognizable. I like this stuff. It's my go to frag. when I dont' know what to wear. Don't expect to smell "sexy" with this though, just expect to smell good. Perfect for daily wear, very versatile in warm or cold weather. Can be a little strong if you spray too much though...had a bad experience with that. Overall i would recommend this.

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

PINE!!! That's the predominant note I can make out. There is a flash of it's name sake at the beginning but it disappears quickly (thank goodness, who wants to smell like a hallucinegenic liqour?). FdA is a very versatile fragrance. It doesn't really call attention to itself though. I wear it because it reminds me of christmas trees.

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Just WOW!!! This is one of those scents I love wearing to bed. It always brings good dreams. Spritz on the neck, hop in to bed, dream of flying on a magic carpet in the "Morocain" desert. A masterpiece!

Story by Paul Smith

Nothing special about this one, good quality though. You won't offend anybody, but you won't impress anybody either. Good for the office, outdoors, hot or cold.

Rose 31 by Le Labo

I don't know what others are referring to when they say doughy, but it does kind of have that three dimensional quality to it. To me it smells more like a "winey" rose. I reserve this fragrance for 3rd dates or romantic occasions in general. Not overpowering, excellent sillage, longevity is decent. One of my current favorites, I just don't wear it often unfortunately :-(

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This is a very manly scent. No sweetness, no flowers, no non-sense. Smells like a man. Nuff said.

Vanille Extasy by Montale

This is a very flirty, flamboyant, femme fragrance. I wouldn't wear this personally, but I definately wouldn't mind smelling it on an attractive young woman. Smells like vanilla ice cream. A cold, creamy interpretation of vanilla.

Straight to Heaven by By Kilian

This is my favorite club/bar fragrance. Rum, Rum, RUM!!! It always garners compliments whenever I wear it. It is a bit more pricey than other niche brands, but I would gladly pay that extra $$ for this exquisite juice! If you want to attract attention to yourself, get this stuff. Unique, good sillage, excellent longevity, good projection. It's worth it guys, GET IT!!!

Absinth by Nasomatto

Almonds...I really like this stuff. One of my favorites. I don't really have a problem with longevity. Not a scent that grabs your attention, rather it charms you into getting closer and closer. Good juice!

Duro by Nasomatto

This stuff is like M7 except SO much MORE refined. Heavy on the leather, but not aged, worn in leather. More like brand new leather jacket leather. Expensive leather at that. Good stuff, don't wear it in the summer tho, it doesn't quite mix well with sweat...

Jemimagold's avatar
    Jemimagold

Onyx by Sage Machado

Sage Onyx is a cloying, sickly sweet coconut/musk bomb that smells cheap but somehow manages to gets rave reviews on the MUA Fragrance Board when the "best coconut perfume" poll crops up time after time. I don't get the point of Onyx at all but then again, I'm in my forties. Maybe this Onyx is something the "tween" set enjoys... All I know is, I don't like this one bit. Get out the kitchen sponge 'cause I need to scub this off !!

Here are the notes, courtesy of The Perfumed Court: dark coconut, oakmoss, tobacco and vanilla nectar.

Nathan214's avatar
    Nathan214

Bolt of Lightning by JAR

Opens up with a seriously foul, rotting vegetation note, but after twenty minutes transforms into one of the most beautiful fragrances I've ever smelled -- an airy, fresh, lightly green and subtly sweet concoction, like warm sunshine on wet roses, thanks to a golden, shimmery musk shot through the heart of it. A creative and intelligent piece of work. The price may stink, but the perfume itself is awesome.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar
    Ms Rochambeau

Antilope by Weil

This review is for vintage Antilope. The Perfume Intelligence website lists the notes in Antilope (a floral, woody, aldehydic chypre) as: tangerine, neroli, galbanum, acacia, farnesiana, narcisssus, hyacinthe, ylang ylang, may rose, lily of the valley, oakmoss, civet, sandalwood and musk.

After the initial vintage perfume smell wears away (5-10 minutes) the scent starts out very floral and adehydic. I don't care for scents with aldehyds and ususlly steer clear of them, so obviously, I'm not a big fan of Chanel No. 5 which is what Antilope kind of reminded me of as it started to unfold. I'm also not a big fan of overly floral scents, but I waited patiently to see where it was all going. I got absolutly no tangerine. What developed was a dry, baby powdery leather that stayed for a while. Then as it dried down further, it became a skin scent that was woody and grassy (that site doesn't mention vetiver, but that's what I got) like hay with an underlying sweetness that was nice and subtle.

I agree with castorpollux, except for the leather, this scent isn't as animalic as I expected. I didn't get any musk or civet at all and was a little disappointed. If you're just looking for nice, soft leather scent, you may like this a lot.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar
    Ms Rochambeau

My Insolence by Guerlain

I guess I've been spoiled by having experienced a few of the Guerlain classics (Jicky, L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko and Salimar) in their vintage form. Because of them, the bar was set high a long time ago, not just for Guerlains, but for perfume, period. My Insolence doesn't come close to that bar. It's no better and no worse than the average scent you can find at the perfume counter of any Macy's depertment store. Just because there is a trend in perfume toward this kind of scent, doesn't mean that Guerlain should feel they have to weigh in with one. They should leave that to the clothing designers with their "of the moment" sensibilities and go back to focusing on the developement of scents that are well crafted enough to become the highly sought after classics of tomorrow. My Insolence will not be among them.

DapperDan's avatar
    DapperDan
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

parfums*PARFUMS Series 4 Cologne: Vettiveru by Comme des Garçons

I used to mix my own scents with a pure vetiver oil base. I loved the clean, piney green freshness of the pure oil. Since becoming more intrigued by designer and niche fragrances I've been searching for that clean fresh vetiver scent in a more refined fragrance. I think I've found it in this one by Comme De Garcons. It has just enough of that clean biting vetiver edge without being overly harsh and the light citrus and woods notes are perfectly balanced to enhance the main event without overshadowing it in the least.

Vettiveru stands just fine on its own and at least on me has surprising longevity for a cologne, however I'm also finding that this is an extremely versatile fragrance for layering given it's simple and fairly linear structure. I love it with Terre d'Hermes, Safari, Boucheron PH and more recently Davidoff's new cedar heavy fragrance Adventure just to name a few. It adds that little bitter bite that I love so much about the V note without going over the top. Kudos to CdG for this excellently crafted cologne. I only wish I could find the giant 12oz jugs around because I know I'll be going through a lot of this wonderful juice. It's hard enough to come by the smaller 4oz bottles but is seems that the large ones are all but extinct.

Thumbs way up. Highly recommended for vetiver lovers everywhere!

DapperDan's avatar
    DapperDan
    Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Padparadscha by Satellite

I have to agree with most of Foetidus' points here. What I fell in love with in this fragrance is it's exotic, naturalistic peppery cedary coniferous top and mid notes. These are obviously high quality ingredients and well blended, however I do find as well that the wonderful opening is too short-lived and after a few hours the fragrance gradually dies down to a light skin musk with a hint of amber and cedar. Not an unpleasant drydown, just not enough there to hold ones attention.

That being said, I love this fragrance and it haunted me until I finally broke down and bought a bottle. I'm waiting for colder weather to really bring this one up to the top shelf. Seems much better suited for a heavy sweater and, who knows, maybe even a crackling fireplace.

jalexhrovat's avatar
    jalexhrovat

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

This is an excellent, clean, masculine fragrance. I consider it a classic men's fragrance that hasn't gotten the hype as many other fragrances of its time. Before I tried it, I was surprised to find the Azzaro PH, used this one as inspiration and improved upon it. I do find them fairly similar, but Azzaro PH is much more complex. This fragrance is linear in comparison, but what it does contain that makes it stand out is the resinous, green notes that last the entirety of the life. Sillage is about average and longevity on my skin is about 5 hours.
    Great for everyday or for work.

Coriolan by Guerlain

Coriolan is a chyphre of great distinction. I love the entire composition. This is one fragrance where I don't even want to try to pick out the separate notes. Sillage isn't an issue for me with this one. I leave lovely scent trails wherever I go! I don't know if unisex or androgynous is the appropriate term for this scent, but it's definitely not a "macho" powerhouse. I love wearing it. It was nice at first and then it really grew on me. I had heard from several people that Coriolan was not one of Guerlain's best masculines, but I respectfully disagree. Just because a product is a commercial flop doesn't mean a thing to me. It is up there with the greats as far as I'm concerned. The bottle is pretty nifty too!

Duc de Vervins by Houbigant

This is an excellent dry fougere. I bought the extreme version, which I think is smoother than the original. I'm not a huge fan of Drakar Noir, and although I can smell some similarities, I actually like this one. It's dry, green and a bit woody with a tasteful hint of some leather in the base. D.V. is a well made sophisticated scent which eschews all the sweet and balsamic notes that I'm often attracted to, so it's a nice addition to my wardrobe.

22 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 26 February, 2010)

Insensé by Givenchy

A floral with woody undertones. I mostly smell orris root. It's quite a nice smell, but only if I'm not suffering hayfever at the time, otherwise this one aggravates my allergies. Very nice though.

the reaper's avatar
    the reaper
    Venezuela Venezuela

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

I like the flowery base in my skin after 15 minutes of aplication. very similar to extra vielle but more refined. not for young people.

French Lime Blossom by Jo Malone

I liked it a lot when I first purchased it, but I have grown tired of it. It's a nice scent, but not fab.

Gardenia by Jo Malone

There are better Gardenias, including Annick Goutal's and Marc Jacobs.

Honeysuckle & Jasmine by Jo Malone

I like it, but its just nice, not great.

Red Roses by Jo Malone

I like this layered with Jo Malones very green Cassis fragrance.

Lime, Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone

For some reason, I like this fragrance when I am having my period. It's one of the only fragrances I can stand at that time of the month. Otherwise, (at other times of the month) I don't like it!!! Weird, eh?

Nutmeg & Ginger by Jo Malone

I don't know why but I really love this fragrance. It's one of my favorites, but I only crave wearing it occasionally, and its lovely layered with either floral or fruity scents.

Wild Fig and Cassis by Jo Malone

Love it. This and Orange Blossom are my favorite Jo Malone fragrances. This is great layered with her Rose fragrance as well.

Orange Blossom by Jo Malone

My favorite Jo Malone fragrance.

Nectarine Blossom & Honey by Jo Malone

This is an odd fragrance on me. It smells sour, like sour nectarine. I prefer it layered with sweeter scents, like ginger or gardenia.