Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Midnight Flower by Neil Morris Fragrances

The opening strikes with a clean, refreshing citrus / floral that is very much fortified by aldehydes – for a Neil Morris fragrance it is quite dramatic, thanks to the aldehydes. I’m not absolutely sure, but I think I get wisps of indole in the first few minutes after spraying: could be from the gardenia. It’s a beautiful opening… refined, delicate, feminine…and it even hints at a fetching modernized classicism. The middle is a soft green tea / floral accord that continues the personality already established. I must say that the use of florals in Midnight Flower is ingenious: They come across in bouquet form yet are natural, sensitive… organic. As usual I get more amber than musk in the base but I do sense a bit of the earthiness of the patchouli that nicely grounds the entire pyramid. As usual with the Neil Morris fragrances I’ve tried, the delicacy belies the fragrance’s better than adequate longevity. Its performance on the skin is nothing less than excellent.

Storm by Neil Morris Fragrances

Beautiful natural aromas… a unique fragrance … hard to classify except that I find it quite masculine: The pyramid says papaya and lime for the top notes, but the opening to me doesn’t smell tropical or fruity in the least: I get a rustic earthy smell, part vegetal, part mineral, summarily interesting. It retains that rustic accord for quite a while, gradually yielding to a kinder, gentler floral that smells purple – I can’t think of any other way to describe it. Even though the scent has turned primarily floral, it keeps a pretty good hold on its masculinity by hinting at a marine background. I don’t get much of a change in accords after the scent turns to its middle; it becomes quite linear after that and holds onto that purple accord as a skin scent for two or three hours. As is the norm for Neil Morris fragrances, Storm presents a restrained, balanced sillage and at least a medium longevity.

JaimeB's avatar

Aoud Ambre by Montale

A smooth, warm ambery aoud scent comes right off the top and already contains, in germ, all the notes that follow; but they reveal themselves more and more as the drydown progresses, and shine softly with a mellow light. This has quite a good sillage, and on my skin at least, excellent longevity. Some people say this a scent for intimate moments, and I can see why they think so. It does have a somewhat seductive effect on people who have smelled it on me, although I can't say I was in the market when that occurred. Pity!

Notes: Eastern Aoud, Amber, Rose, Honey, Spices, Woods, Cistus Labdanum, Leather, Incense

24 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 25 November, 2009)

JaimeB's avatar

Versace pour Homme by Versace

So we are now engaged in discussing the chauvinism of minor differences. Is this like many other citrus-woody scents? Well, yes! This is a very popular genre, possibly impelled by the desire of many men to smell inoffensive and "light." And yet... Versace pour Homme, while functioning perfectly well within this market niche, is better than almost all the others in a couple of respects. For one thing, it manages to marry a slight aquatic note to the dominant citrus in this while retaining a sense of proportion and good taste — something that can't be said for the vast majority of aquatic-accented fragrances, which let the monster in without then being able to tame it. Secondly, this offering manages to make an interestinmg use of quality notes, among them: a lovely petitgrain that mediates bitter orange leaves; a mild blue heliotrope that bespeaks a floral breath of spring; an elegant and pleasantly winey-floral clary sage note; and a deeper woody note in the form of a gentler oud than one normally finds. This fragrance is definitely no powerhouse, but rather a medium-light warm weather scent that nevertheless has good longevity and decent sillage. If you wanted to do the "citrus-woody inoffensive" dance, this would be the elegant way to choreograph it, with a light hand, but with flair and brisk artistry.

purplebird7's avatar

Elle by Yves Saint Laurent

I love the package with its fuschia, swirly, op-art pattern, and I am attracted to its promise of a bold fragrance for free-thinking women, but Elle is not my type of scent. I love woods, but my preference is for wet woods--those with earthy, mossy, ambery supporting notes. Elle is dry and peppery wood laid over a sweet, fruity base with sour underpinnings. To me, the dominant notes are pepper, lychee, and cedar. It is hot, arid, and sweet-tart. This new genre cannot replace the old-school Chypres or the rich, floral, woody Orientals in my wardrobe. If you like this type of bold, lively scent, don't let me dissuade you. But for me, it is out of synch.

pookerella's avatar

Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan

I like it OK, it's soft, creamy, light.. It's good on a summer day especially if you're running out the door and need to refresh a bit because you can wear a lot of it and it won't be overbearing. You do smell like you stepped out of the shower; almost borders on a body spray IMHO . I don't know anyone who finds this fragrance offensive, so it's a good choice when you want to go "light," like at a job interview or visiting someone who is sensitive to scents. There is something I like a lot about the drydown because it smells like Jovan's Eau Fresh. That's really its appeal to me, to be honest.

I assume that Victoria's Secret's "Dream Angels Heavenly" is trying to be Cashmere Mist, only it's a cheaper, more chemical version of it and certainly not nearly as classy or nice (VS says their version is the biggest selling perfume in the US, but I doubt that.). Lucky Brand #6 also reminds me of CM ... the Lucky Brand version has a little spice added which makes it a bit more interesting and less "safe" than CM.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

New West for Him by Aramis

This stuff is awesome. It is very different fom just about any and everything I have tried. I actually got a compliment from a female co-worker...after 6+ hours of applying this stuff!!!
    If you can find it buy it, it is expensive but worth it. If you are a collector, or you just like specail frags, this is your cup of tea. I love it.
    Don't miss Tuscany as well, also very well done.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

This stuff is good, period dot. I remember a similar scent from when I was a kid growing up in Nigeria, and only the rich during specail occasions rocked this. I see it as an Italian Kouros (not cologn sport, but the original in the opaque white bottle), there are spices in there that does recall Tuscany to me.
    For those who think its sillage/longevity is weak...it isn't, you are simply experiencing olfactory fatigue: others can smell it, you can't. And if you overspray, it can become much for the wearer and those around you.
    I highly recommend it if you are an 80s head...and like Foetidus said, it is more wearable today than most other 80s frags. I really like it...but best as a once in a whiler, so you don't get sick of it. Several thumbs up.
    BTW: New West is also worth trying, to me no collection should be without these 2.

Maddyrain's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

Thé Rouge is a beautiful and well composed creation. I've never drunk red tea, so I have no idea how it smells, but what I get from Thé Rouge is a delicious combination of figs, coconut and almonds. It reminds me autumn... a warm and confortable bed...

Kahuna Cowboy's avatar

Set Sail South Seas for Men by Tommy Bahama

Floral, fresh, and airy.

Good staying power and silage too. Good offering, TB may offer it as a special summer scent but this could easily be versatile enough for night time, fall, and spring.

vukoicicd's avatar

Serbia Serbia

New York by Nicolaï

ideal for businessmen who go to Paris to cheat on their wives. after they had a stupid evening at the Crazy Horse they move on to Moulin Rouge and so on and so forth.

first of all, the fragrance is not very original (I get a lot of comments like, 'oh, you are wearing Egoiste again', or 'is that Eau Sauvage'), smells like so many fragrances out there, it's boring and dull.

secondly, it has nothing to do w/ NY.

finally, I have to concur with a couple of reviewers who mentioned three stages and a good dry down. it really does change through time and the dry down is nice, but nice is simply not enough.

Contradiction for Men by Calvin Klein

This smells a little like Truth to me at the begining, but as it dries the spices add some definition. Of course, I don't like that definition, but whatever.
    Even though I couldn't wear this myself, I could see liking it on someone else, so I can't "thumbs down" this.

As far as I can tell this is pretty unique, albeit safe. So, if you find yourself a sample it can't hurt to try it.

Tommy Bahama for Men by Tommy Bahama

Magic. Effin' magic. There is a tobacco, leather, wood, and spice thing going on here and it's a grand slam. There is also a salty note which speaks of a tropical beach, of course that could just be suggestive hypnotic nonsense that has more to do with the name than the actual smell. I don't care. That's how my brain is reading it, the overall effect is magic, and I enjoy it.

The bottom line is that if Creed made this it would be hailed as a timeless classic...

Sunset Heat for Men by Escada

Smells like a glass of fresh tropical fruit punch. It doesn't really evolve; it just sort of becomes more muted. While it's very pleasant it really is just a yummy beverage smell. Worth a test.

Anthony87's avatar

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

One of the most underrated fragrances in mens perfumery.

The top notes smell like a mix of muscle-rub and Thierry Mugler Angel, before settling into a mix of aquatic (think dry-down of Bvlgari Aqua) and smooth iced mocca, with the top notes of Angel still there (honestly, this smells similar to the Women's Angel without the heady floral notes and extreme price tag).

Its refreshing, a very, very light gourmand, and would be absolutely delightful throughout spring to a very warm summers day. Over 40ºC might be pushing it though, as the coffee might be too much. Definately casual or going out, and probably more suited to a 'younger generation.' If you enjoy A*men but find the tarry-dark chocolate notes in the dry-down too much or sickening, please try this; you might be pleasantly surprised (as I was).

Longevity is above average. If you suffer from dry skin, as I do in winter, please try this 20 minutes after showerig - otherwise your skin will absorb most of it and you'll be asking why you bothered. (I bought a bottle, got home excited, had a shower, sprayed it on and it was gone within an hour or 2 - yet I woke up the next morning and it was back with a vengence!) Sillage is good too, I sprayed it once on my wrist and was smelling it 5 hours after.

mbanderson61's avatar

Number One by Nicolaï

An elegant blend of white florals, beautifully crafted with a nice kick of jasmine and tuberose, smoothed out by the iris. This is not a shy fragrance, but neither is it overbearing. I don't hesitate to wear it to work, albeit, sprayed pretty lightly. The notes are: Egyptian jasmine, Indian tuberose, orange blossom absolute, cassis, rose, iris. Unlike the previous reviewer, I had no complaints about the longevity, a surprise given how quickly many fragrances fade on my skin.

mbanderson61's avatar

Ferré by Gianfranco Ferré

Much confusion surrounds the various Ferre fragrances, whose names all contain the name "Ferre" and seemingly little else. The fragrance reviewed by the previous reviewer actually appears to be the 2005 Ferre Eau de Cologne (Bergamotto Marino), also by Bourdon. Ferre by Gianfranco Ferre should also not be confused with Ferre by Ferre (a floral aldehyde from 1991) or with Gianfranco Ferre (a floral from 1984).

Ferre by Gianfranco Ferre (Bourdon 2005) is a rich, warm fragrance with nectar-laden top notes that remind us of the reason why fruit notes really do belong in perfumes. Yes, pineapple and melon can be gorgeous if they are not amped-up with an artificial sweetness. Combined with the lightness of iris leaves, they float away and reveal a heart of iris petals, ylang ylang, jasmine and other florals. The notes are extraordinarilly well blended, with only the iris and perhaps magnolia asserting dominance. Iris appears again in the base, along with basmati rice, amber, sandalwood, vanilla and musk. The base is soft and warm, sweet, but not cloying.

Ferre is rightly compared to Iris Poudre, also by Bourdon, however, where Iris Poudre is sparkling and translucent from the aldehydes, Ferre is opaque. I love to compare them, one on each arm. I have a preference for IP, however the Ferre is growing on me each time I wear it.

Top Notes: Calabrian bergamot, melon, pineapple, iris leaves
    Heart Notes: Ylang, magnolia, freesia, lily-of-the-valley, rose, jasmine, iris flower
    Base Notes: Iris root, sandalwood, basmati rice, vanilla, amber, musk

Drakkar Dynamik by Guy Laroche

Heavy sour and peppery woods. A disgustingly synthetic.

Carthusia Uomo by Carthusia

An oakmossy fragrance like a fresher Drakkar Noir or a more woody Paco Rabanne pour Homme. It's the rosewood that's very unique but overall feels a bit boring..

Ananas Fizz by L'Artisan Parfumeur

No, sorry. As much as I like pineapples, this is not tart or sweet enough to be fruity. Becomes a faded wood too quickly to enjoy.

Cool Water Sun, Sea and Surf by Davidoff

If Cool Water = Green Irish Tweed, then this is Green Irish Tweed with an Erolfa top note. Nice but the saltiness turns me off.

Cool Water Game by Davidoff

Excellent watermelon/apple/pear top note much like Kenneth Cole Reaction. It lasts longer, too. The patchouli takes over in the drydown.

DKNY Red Delicious Men by Donna Karan

I get no apples in this at all. More of a musky, peppery fruit. Poor sillage and longevity (fortunately).

Cool Water Summer Fizz by Davidoff

Fun fizzy fruit + Cool Water. Unfortunately the top doesn't last long but at least you get the aromatic Cool Water base.

Cool Water Happy Summer by Davidoff

Cool Water with a fatter citrus on top. Pretty good but don't expect too much variation from Cool Water.

darien's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Don't believe the hype. It will NOT turn you into a super-sexy all conquering love-god. It will make you smell like an ordinary, well-groomed, pleasant smelling member of the male masses. The people who say it garners compliments when wearing it will receive them from people who become aware of it, because it has quite strong sillage, and smells very 'fragrancey'. It is NOT unpleasant, but neither is it intriguing, different, characterful or individual. It smells extremely generic - a very typically male fragrance that you feel you have smelt somewhere before. It reminds me of the kind of fragrance you smell in a locker room applied by some typical stock broker type guy after a hard game of squash. A safe bet fragrance for men with little imagination. I'd even go as far as saying that it smells like a pleasantly fragranced deodourant. Disasterous when you think of how expensive it is! Now don't get me wrong. Though I'm not impressed by GIT, I am a BIG fan of other Creed scents. In fact, scents like SMW and Himalaya are the OPPOSITE of GIT. They are majestic in their high quality smell. They have an exclusive smell that really does seem fit for royalty. Others will bow to your superiority when you smell like a Prince. Wear GIT and they will slap you on the back as 'one of the guys.'

lizzie_j's avatar

After My Own Heart by Ineke

This has instantly become my favorite lilac based scent. Fresh, natural, breezy, like a breath of Spring coming from my tiny sample bottle. Other reviewers have already described this beautiful fragrance far better than I could. I will mention that on me one spritz was all I needed, and it lasted for many hours. Full bottle worthy.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Idole de Lubin by Lubin

The opening is a spicy (like cardamom, cloves, nutmeg)/boozy (rum) blast that quickly mellows into a scent that's more dry, woody and spicy with an underlying saffron note that evokes L'Artisan's Saffron Troublant. This is the stage that lasts the longest for me and as I keep smelling my wrists I'm also reminded of Donna Karan's Black Cashmere and Tea for Two, another L'Artisan. However, Idole has it's own thing going. Way into the drydown, it's all about warm, sweet, creamy woods with amber. I would like to get a leather note, but my nose doesn't seem to be picking that one up. The final stages of this are so mellow and warm that I do consider this a comfort scent and I didn't even realize that this was supposed to be for men until I went to write this review and saw that the majority of the reviewers that weighed in on it were men. I disagree. I think it's definitely a sent that can be worn by a woman as well.

I don't find the bottle design "trashy" at all. I think it's a gorgeous design that's obviously been influenced by the Art Deco period.

bbBD's avatar

Eau d'Été by Nicolaï

A nice, mild citrus/fruit/light floral fragrance that lasts a good while but stays extremely close to the skin. I had higher hopes that this would be a more robust citrus. BN has this listed as feminine but it's technically unisex... there's nothing that makes this more feminine than any other light citrus fragrance. I'm glad I bought the 30ml and didn't spend a whole lot. Good stuff but I won't back up my bottle...

timaru's avatar

Germany Germany

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

this stuff atually makes me gag. i cant even figure out what the worst note is but fact is i had to wash it off after a few min.
    go away!!!