Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Cool Water Happy Summer by Davidoff

love it.
    fresh, fruity and a well mixed combination of grapefruit and lemon.

Davidoff Adventure by Davidoff

weak?i cant really figure why everyone seems to find it weak?last quite a while on me and i am actually suprised by the complexity. i always have the feeling i smell different every 5 min or so.
    good stuff!
    reminds me a bit of 'good life' but more interesting.
    only criticism is that somehow it gives me a headache sometimes (?).
    not enough for a thumbs up anyway.

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

haha, i only got one thing to add to the prvious posters review
    be careful with the amount u apply.

while trying this on i was literally bein chased by 5-6 bees for over 1 hour.

good, fresh summer scent but not worth getting it IMO.

if u want freshness, go for coolwater happy summer or CL freeze me and if u want citrus with a lil warmness go for allure blanche

however still a thumbs up

MFJ's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I must admit that I used to dislike Kouros and I only started to appreciate it after Basenotes. I still don't find the infamous note unpleasant at all. It is undoubtedly a very strong scent that can easily put people off. Apart from its good longevity and sillage, it has a bitterness to it that I've grown fond of. I find it more smoky than pungent and has mild spiciness that is worth mentioning. Very distinctive and though it can be a little difficult to carry off, it deserves the time needed for appreciation. IMO one of the best powerhouse scents from YSL and there is a reason why this is a hot seller - that one can only understand when there is positive interest.

24 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 20th June, 2009)

mrclmind's avatar

Loewe para Hombre by Loewe

This is definitely one nice smell when it first hits the skin. I love the way the petitgrain is utilized. This is a bracing, but sophisticated and smoothly fresh EDC type of opening. The mid notes are slightly woody, still rather fresh with a bit of floral and herbal undertones. Very masculine, but as foetidus notes, very fresh. This is a somewhat uplifting fragrance for me. I didn't know what to expect when people told me it was very Mediterranean; It's very lovely, fresh and sophisticated. The base has that lovely smell of freshly crushed tonka beans; one of my very favorite smells! Seems like a very good "daytime" scent, although I can't see how you could ever be out of place wearing it.

leviticus's avatar

Pi Neo by Givenchy

A wonderfully designed and complex fragrance. It was mentioned earlier that the signature "Pi" note is contained in this fragrance; couldn't have said it better. I will say that the drydown, like the original Pi, is amazing, powerful yet subtle. This didn't seem to do too well on my skin, however, but that doesn't negate the fact that it smells wonderfully on other people. I took my buddy cologne shopping yesterday and I suggested he try this one. He bought it on the spot. Sure to fly off the shelves when it officially gets released next month. If you're a fan of Pi and consider yourself to be an overall fresh scent person, this fragrance is for you. Do in fact try it on yourself and let it drydown for a while before you decide to buy.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

I was anticipating the smoke and burnt rubber notes to be prominent (based on the Basenotes reviews), and indeed they are. However I wasn't expecting the sweetness in this one. It isn't a cloying sweetness by any means, but there's something in there to give it a slight airy or "perfumey" presence. There's also a hint of an old worn leather jacket in there (or perhaps it's my imagination, given that this fragrance reminds me of Harley motorcycles and black leather jackets).

So I was expecting some nasty viscous black liquid to spray out of this bottle, but I was pleasantly surprised with Bulgari Black. Don't get me wrong, I would never wear something like this, however I could see how someone could pull this off.

I'll give it one thing... it IS original!

Nautica Classic by Nautica

One of the very first fragrances I ever wore as a kid, received as a gift from a family member. Cheap smelling, and I was always self conscious about walking around school and reeking. Never got any complaints with this one, but then again I didn't get any compliments either. Nautica has come a long way since releasing this.

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

Cheap "sport scent" stick deodorant mixed with seaweed and pineapple juice? Um...I'm confused. Why would anyone like that?

I just couldn't bear to wait for the dry-down on this one, so I guess it is possible that the base notes smell quite different than the top and middle notes (although highly implausible). Unless you want to reek around the office, quickly pass this one by.

Dunhill Pursuit by Dunhill

Opens up smelling exactly like all of the cookie-cutter spicy aftershaves that I have countered time and time again over the years. It smells good, but extremely familiar. Once it dries down (after about 30 minutes or so), it begins to take on more of a unique scent and becomes a little more spicy and woody, with hints of sweetness.

It smells good. But I can almost guarantee you have smelled it before (or some variation thereof).

If you're into spicy aftershave-esque fragrances, give this one a try.

Poison by Christian Dior

I loved wearing this scent. It's one of those scents you either have a chemistry with it or not. For me it went on bold and bright and dried down nicely. Always had a lot of staying power and seemed to linger at a sultry and rich incense level. Along with a lot of others, I agree you have to be able to wear this. A few friends have tried it and it smelled completely different on them, way too strong and overpowering.

Fantasia de Fleurs by Creed

I tried this on a whim after reading some reviews. It opened for me as something akin to walking into a dense flower garden on a hot day, heady and lush. A small sample on my wrist seemed to hang delightfully in the air. After a short time it dries down to something softer and rich yet still maintains the lightness of its flowers. After a few hours, it still held its allure and even seemed to possess a deeper smoothness, which lasted throughout the day. Absolutely timeless and a must have.

Aramis by Aramis

This is one of those scents that on the right man is delicious. It's the right balance of elegance and allure without being overpowering or cloying. A wonderful fragrance for men to wear and women to enjoy while it's worn.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

I didn't get a 'rubber' smell from this at all. It did however make me think wearing this you should also be wearing a knock out black outfit and a confident attitude to match. It makes me think dark and mysterious, and although it seems to lean towards being more of a masculine scent I've gotten only positive compliments from gentlemen I work with when wearing this.

MADDSNIPER's avatar

Amor Pour Homme Sunshine by Cacharel

Very average i guess, nothing really wrong with it but nothing good either. Ive owned it for a few months now and if someone waslked past with it on i'd be hard pressed to tell what it is. Is probably more for daytime than evening wear, though i dont think its quite as fresh and summer like as the 'sunshine' part of the name suggests.

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Have someone grab a handful of dirt and throw it at your head. That's what Dirty English smells like.

I wish I was joking but I'm not. I tried two different bottles of this stuff just to be sure. It opens smelling like fresh dirt and potting soil. Dry-down becomes a little woodier and a little more subdued but it never stops smelling like dirt.

It's most definitely original, but there's no way in hell I'm going to willingly walk around the office smelling like this. Perhaps if I was an outdoorsman or wanted to smell like I had been outside landscaping all day.

EDIT:

I have since gone back and revisited Dirty English years after I wrote the above review and it's earthiness no longer shocks me like it once did. It's an earthy, smokey, woody fragrance that's quite unique among men's designer fragrances. Closest thing I can compare it to would be Gucci Pour Homme I for it's woodiness, but even then they are somewhat different in composition. If you like that type of fragrance, definitely give this a try.

Changing my review rating to Neutral.

24 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 28 January, 2011)

kbe's avatar

Cuiron Pour Homme by Helmut Lang

A leisurely late August walk through a hardwood forest while wearing a fragrant and supple leather jacket.

24 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 05 April, 2013)

Vetiver Bourbon by Miller Harris

A strongly earthy, resinous version of vetiver but without the rawness, if that makes sense. Apparently portions of the power and mystery of Vétiver Bourbon come from notes other than the vetiver – the patchouli and oakmoss, most likely. There is one formidable message being delivered by this fragrance. It is as resinously aromatic as an aoud or a wormwood scent; in fact, I had to refer to the pyramid to make certain that it wasn’t one of those that I was being over powered by. The fragrance with its vetiver, patchouli, and oakmoss comes off as very woody, and I suppose that that is a huge part of its potency. Vétiver Bourbon is linear and lacks complexity, but even so, sends forth some seminal vibrations. The longevity is less than average. This is an impressive fragrance, but, personally, I like my vetiver more wearable.

iMaverick's avatar

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

At first I wasn't so sure about this scent. I smelled it while waiting for my purchase at Neimans, and all I smelled was a powdery iris and some citrus which made me think of Chanel No. 19, which I'm still coming to terms with to this day (c. 8/24/2008). Then while I shopped at Nordstrom one day, I decided to spray the air with it, not an easy feat considering they had a 200 ml tester out, but what I smelled was glorious! A burst of citrus and green notes floated in the air, and on skin it moved into an impression of fresh cut iris, just barely powdery, that segues into warmer notes of benzoin cedar and galbanum with a hint of incense. In my mind, this is what the waiting room outside the Heaven's doors would smell like--no kidding!!

Another way to describe this scent is if you took Prada Amber Pour Homme and did away with the lavender and patchouli and cut the benzoin back, this is what you would get! So Prada definitely has a thematic approach to their retail offerings, benzoin seemingly being a signature note in all of them.

If I had to choose between the mens and womens offering (I own both BTW), I'd choose the womens version just because it lasts longer on me, and does smell more interesting. Women can easily wear the mens as a lighter, EdT/EdC offering.

iMaverick's avatar

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

Just like Infusion d'Iris, but the proportions of the notes have been played with. It begins like Infusion d'Iris, but doesn't progress to the sweet ambery aspects of benzoin and galbanum like the womens version, but to a final note of orange blossom and hints of cedar. Longevity leaves much to be desired, but still carries a remarkable simplicity about it.

Indie_Guy's avatar

Habit Rouge Eau de Toilette Légère by Guerlain

I bought this first and then Habit Rouge EDC second. I like all of the incarnations of Habit Rouge, but I find the EDT a little too powdery for my taste. The EDC is sublime, but it wears like an EDC and the pitch of the fragrance tends to fall in the lower midrange.

Habit Rouge Legere is a much brighter scent than the EDC, and less powdery than the EDT. It really accentuates the citrus topnotes. In a way it's almost unisex, but there in the basenotes, the leather and musk are still there. I actually find this fragrance to be much stronger than the EDC, so it's not quite accurate to think that this is just a "light" version of Habit Rouge. I also keep getting this red licorice "twizzlers" note out of it. When I sniff this, I can see what Dunhill Desire for a Man tried to be and failed at miserably.

Tovah's avatar

Néonatura - Cocoon by Yves Rocher

Cocoon is a comfort fragrance for me, but it's assertive, too. It smells very woody, earthy, and natural, and the dry vanilla is tempting, but not sugary. Vanilla-patchouli blends generally work beautifully with my chemistry, so Cocoon, with it's touch of cocoa, is a definite winner. It's not complex: just cocoa, vanilla, and patchouli, but it has depth, and a gorgeous dryness that makes it unique in the gourmand category. It is similar to Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, but it also reminds me of Coco Mademoiselle edt. The base of Coco Mademoiselle, smells somewhat similar in the drydown. Cocoon seems to be marketed as a women's fragrance, but it's perfect for men as well. The lasting power is incredible, but don't overspray this: the sillage rivals legends.

Chloé (original) by Chloé

I've been a fan of Chloe since she was launched and am probably on my fifth bottle of the EDP. On me it is nectarines and muguet, with a heady mix of rose garden in the rain and wild honeysuckle. Has lingering warmth and great longevity. Soignee but exuberant and has cats rubbing up against you, purring. Men too.

Le Parfum by Sonia Rykiel

A kind BNer first sent me a sample of this and when I cooed sent me the whole bottle - for which I will be eternally grateful. A soft woody fruity opening with a hint of iris and osmanthus. The subtle drydown introduces a creamy vanilla that hums under the fruits and flowers.

Libertine by Vivienne Westwood

As a great fan of Anglomania I was anxious to try this "doppelganger" which I find totally unlike A!! Where A. is robust and swoopy - exuberant to the point of exhaustion - Libertine is sprightly and almost refined. Citrusy and lightly floral (viburnum is a lovely scent) with a modern twist...you'll never mistake it for something else.

Oaksbluff's avatar

Open by Roger & Gallet

soap lovers rejoice!
    Open starts out with a massive blast of soapiness, not altogether unlike Gendarme, but there is something ever so slightly synthetic about this soap smell... I won't say that it is unpleasant, but it is rather astringent. Like Ivory soap on steroids.
    That, however, doesn't last very long, and what remains for an almost insanely long time is a mossy, woodsy, vetivery scent that I, myself, have come to refer to as "barbershop" in the vein of Rive Gauche Pour Homme.
    I got this in a trade and I do wear it and love it. When it comes time to replace the bottle I'll most likely get another. That opening accord is one I actually look forward to for its short duration when I reach for this strangely-shaped bottle. Then of course the drydown is one that lasts so long you should be prepared to make an all day commitment.
    Now one hopes that the powers at R & G don't bungle up and discontinue it.

Oaksbluff's avatar

Bois d'Iris by Different Company

The iris accord has proven to be the realm of the dream-makers. There are many fragrances utilizing this note that have become some of the truly spectacular creations of contemporary perfumers. I seek them out.
    Sadly, I found Bois d'Iris not to be in that company. I realize that my criticism may have a broader net, whereby I simply do not care for JC Ellena's creations; too spare at the expense of an experience for me to pay much heed. He is a talented creator, I realize, but my tastes do not hold much regard for his work. It's like stopping overly long at a Schnabel when there are Caravaggios in the next room.
    Specifically, Bois d'Iris is like a pale, sweet-ish iris note that goes woody without having done much dancing beforehand.

jrd4t's avatar

West Broadway by Bond No. 9

I used to only think this was 'pretty good' and not a huge head turner. However, I recently gave it the true analysis it deserved instead of just sampling in passing. West Broadway is really pretty wonderful! This is a magnificent tea scent with a spicy, musky, lime note that really sets it off.. I can't wait to wear it again! It's very addicting once you get to know it.

Mad4WDW's avatar

Versace pour Homme by Versace

This one is nice. Yes it is similar to others in the same genre but where AdG and the like are the spotty youths this is more of a gentleman. Its a very civilised citrus/floral, nice staying power and sillage. Much more refined than some of the crass aquatic scents on the market. I recently added a couple of Pennaligons to my collection, this Versace somehow has the same kind of feel to it. Simple and refined and that makes a change.

Greg

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

If there's any chance that you'd like to smell like a Dr. Pepper scented air freshener then look no further. The only smell I can clearly discern is cinnamon and that's only after the mighty Joop!!!!!! has had a chance to cool down. Wearing this will offend others, and more importantly, yourself.