Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

jrd4t's avatar

West Broadway by Bond No. 9

I used to only think this was 'pretty good' and not a huge head turner. However, I recently gave it the true analysis it deserved instead of just sampling in passing. West Broadway is really pretty wonderful! This is a magnificent tea scent with a spicy, musky, lime note that really sets it off.. I can't wait to wear it again! It's very addicting once you get to know it.

Mad4WDW's avatar

Versace pour Homme by Versace

This one is nice. Yes it is similar to others in the same genre but where AdG and the like are the spotty youths this is more of a gentleman. Its a very civilised citrus/floral, nice staying power and sillage. Much more refined than some of the crass aquatic scents on the market. I recently added a couple of Pennaligons to my collection, this Versace somehow has the same kind of feel to it. Simple and refined and that makes a change.

Greg

Joop! Homme by Joop!

If there's any chance that you'd like to smell like a Dr. Pepper scented air freshener then look no further. The only smell I can clearly discern is cinnamon and that's only after the mighty Joop!!!!!! has had a chance to cool down. Wearing this will offend others, and more importantly, yourself.

Eau de Paco Rabanne pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

Eh, I don't really like this one. I don't dislike it either. I typically like the fresher scents, but this seems to be a whole new level of boring. This is the olfactory equivalent of Wonder Bread. Although doing a 'nose to the skin' appraisal makes out some individual notes, they're like the fading memories of a dream you had earlier in the week.

It also doesn't seem to have any female appeal, and that's always something to consider as well. "Uh, well, I guess it's nice," seems to be the resounding sentiment among the fairer sex.

Magnetism for Men by Escada

Grape soda, vanilla coke, ginger ale, champagne, and just about anything sweet and carbonated, compared to this can be. It's sweet and bubbly, and quite pleasant actually. It smooths out a bit in the drydown and just gets better.

However, it's not for me.

This is a candied sweetness, and I'm more a fan of bakery sweetness.

finisterle's avatar

North Korea North Korea

Eau de Cartier by Cartier

Light & fruity opening. Not unlike the freshly vibrant air outside a flower shop on a cool morning. Has to be applied richly to be noticed at all though.
    So how good is it ?
    Well; I'd rather smell this than Le Baiser du Dragon, also by Cartier, on a woman.
    So, if chosing among Cartiers, maybe a woman would rather smell this than Must Essence on me ? Quite possible.
    But would I rather wear this than Must essence ? On first impression: no, absolutely not. It simply is: asexually boring beyond belief. But...then you get it.
    It is like when a shy person finally opens his or her mouth and says something delightul in a soft pleasing voice, and you wish they would just go on and on.
    Final verdict: It can put you to sleep. But it will do so in a first class bed.

yasarzongur's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Rochas Man by Rochas

if you love vanilla and milky coffee notes, you should try it, it is also long lasting especially on clothes. To me, it is much safer form of Angel Men as far as the opening notes are concerned.

25th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th September, 2008)

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

This is by far thee WORST scent from the line besides that horrible CK one! This is not my style as it smells old! 60+ crowd... I dont believe it was put out there for the younger crowd 20's & 30's.. more so for the senior citizen wagon. There is nothing uplifting about this at all. Just makes me feel old & outdated!!

lizzie_j's avatar

Vaniglia / Vanilla by Santa Maria Novella

This is a vanilla vasedscent that has a fair number of supporting notes. It reminds me a little but of Le Labo Vanille 44, which is a complex vanilla scent that's really lovely, but certainly not straight up vanilla. This fragrance adds (to the vanilla) citrus in the top, floral notes in the heart, and a fair amount of musk and spice in the dry down. A sophisticated and grown-up vanilla, not too sweet or foody. I give it a neutral only because I am much more interested in the vanilla-y vanillas out there.

lizzie_j's avatar

Vanille Absolu by Montale

A wonderful full bodied straight up Vanilla Bourbon with very little else, and that's what I love about it. A hint of musk, maybe a pinch of amber, but for the most part, high end, rich, layered and dark, vanilla orchid and bean. Heaven for Vanilla lovers.

everso's avatar

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

unbelievale scent. one of the greatest fragrances EVER. but but but but but but............has THE crappiest longetivity in the history of fragrances. It is the ultimate olfactory tease. I can't buy another bottle, because i can't bear the pain....

GraphixXBoy's avatar

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

When sniffing this one out of the bottle it smells really nice, but once sprayed on there is a similarity to Liz Claibornes' Spark and in both theres a note that I just can't stand. Almost a slight stale urine smell. Not for me

N_Tesla's avatar

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

Un Jardin Apres La Mousson is yet another wonderful fragrance from Hermes purchased by me based only on some very pleasant experiences with the other Un Jardin fragrances. I used some this morning for the first time and enjoyed it all day and it is still going as I am writing this review. It works fine on my skin on a hot summer day and I do not find it feminine. Un Jardin Apres La Mousson is well worth your consideration and now is on my list of favorite fragrances.

timaru's avatar

Germany Germany

Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès

boy this is an amazing creation.
    i really love how it changes during wear. from somewhat indistinctable within minutes to a lovely floral scent.
    i found the use of bergamot in sur le nil exaggerated but well, this 'juice' makes up for it.
    il take it over sur le nil almost anytime (love them both tho).
    the dry down is one of the best florals i have smelled IMO, lovely how the fig gradually overpowers the floral effect yet u can still smell both shortly before the end.
    only negative point is the longevity, lasted only bout 3 hours on me.
    still deserves the attribute amazing tho.

mysolegia's avatar

Portugal Portugal

Musk / Musc by Ava Luxe

Is this actually Nude Musk that's listed here? Because if it is, I am in looooove with it. It drives me and people around me wild. Stays on forever and a day. Worth a try. Thumbs wayyyy up for musk fanatics.

Izzymo's avatar

Fracas for Men by Robert Piguet

This scent is dreadful and I would not recommend it. There is a reason it is only sold on discounted fragrance websites for around $20 (for 3.4 oz.). And to put the legendary Fracas name on makes it all the more appalling.

's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

I must say that i really like this creed, a nice zesty scent & it also has very good longivity to it, Yep a thumbs up for this one.

's avatar

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

Had this fantastic fragrance twice now, once in a 75ml which was a gift & now i have a 125ml bottle simply because it's a gorgeous smell & it has great staying power. When first applied it's quite strong but it does mellow into a brilliant scent, i like it, nice.

adrianis's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Emporio Armani White He by Giorgio Armani

Smells like a morning in the mediterranean garden. Light and fresh citrus-herbal scent with a white musk base. More natural than the other Armani fragrances.

Nino Cerruti by Cerruti

This is a clean, green, soapy machine; and I like it a lot. The floral heart and woody/incense base help this one stay centered and not get lost in a sea of lather and suds. It's got a bit of sweetness and backbone that is really missing in a lot of these clean scents. The oriental notes in the bottom help pull it away from the soapy top, and the green fresh notes help keep it clean and not overtly incense. The floral notes are really the star of this show; we still don't find a plethora of jasmine in masculine perfumery and this note is handled with great discretion in Cerruti.

Oscar for Men by Oscar de la Renta

Bright citrus pepper opening. Elemi is predominant, so if you don't care for this note you will be put off by Oscar for Men. The top notes last for quite a while and meld fairly seamlessly to the green floral heart. The base is a typical woody/incense accord. Overall this fragrance is well done, it's just not anything original. It's in very moderate rotation in my collection. Even though the sillage is fairly strong, Oscar for Men is perfect for days I want a fresh scent that doesn't stand out to much. Well done, but rather boring. Worth picking up if you find it in a bargain bin like I did ($12.00 for 100 ml.).

Ungaro II by Ungaro

Very nice animalic oriental. I don't know if I agree that this is a light fragrance. It seems rather complex and rich to me. Citrus, flowers, spice, sandalwood, civet and vanilla combine to make a very sensual experience. The civet is pronounced, but it mellows out after about 20 to 30 minutes. Longevity and sillage are medium on my skin. I own Ungaro I, II and III, I wear them all a lot.

25th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 02nd March, 2010)

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

A somewhat linear accord with highlights including pepper/vetiver/cedar and discreet florals. Less minimalistic than many other offerings by Ellena. Wonderful sillage, and a truly terrific overall effect. To me, this smells like Hermèssence Poivre Samarcande fleshed out into a fuller perfumistic composition. I can see myself wearing this often and receiving many complements from it. Terre d'Hermès is a real winner, especially for us lovers of pepper and vetiver.

MysticGoose's avatar

Midnight Poison by Christian Dior

I was looking for a scent with patchouli, which I love, that my husband would tolerate and not say "that stink is back". This gives me the warmth and sensualness of the patchouli but doesn't elicit the comments. It is readily available and not expensive.

I like it more than I realized. It is my favorite of the "poisons" and I was happy with it. A week ago I looked at my bottle and realized I had used almost all of it up. It is an easy fragrance to reach for and suits for all sorts of events. I even wore it to church when I was going to serve at the altar. Patchouli in church- that says something about its versatility.

andylama's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Reminded me of L'Artisan's Jour de Fete...in a bad way. This is another one of those gourmands that has an unfortunate sticky/unwashed character. Makes me think of dried chocolate ice cream smeared on the face of a small child at a birthday party. In my home, this one is called "Eau de Give That Kid a Bath". Dire.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

I enjoy this fragrance, but I cannot wear it. The dry-down is just a little too dry and spicy without enough sweetness to counterbalance it. It is also a little too powdery for my tastes.

Definitely in a class of its own though, and definitely a classic! Lasts all day and sillage is incredible.

Versace Man by Versace

This shares the tobacco note that makes up Versace The Dreamer, but is a bit more complex. I like this one a whole lot more than The Dreamer (Versace Man doesn't open smelling like acetone) but for the most part I didn't care for it. It's just too dark and tobacco-leaf smelling, and I prefer fragrances with a bit of sweetness. It's definitely manly however, and quite unique. Give it a try if you're into that type of fragrance.

It should be noted that Versace Man Eau Fraîche smells NOTHING like Versace Man. They are two totally different fragrances.

25th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 25th October, 2009)

incredibleme's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Incredible Me by Escada

More info on Escada Incredible Me blog: http://escada-incredible-me.blogspot.com

The story of Incredible Me unfolds in a café in Chiang Mai, Thailand, as dessert is ordered. A delicious
    Tiramisu is brought to the table, served on a plate decorated with a beautiful and fragrant orchid… With
    this unusual and striking presentation, the perfumer immediately starts to imagine new olfactive associations. The result is Incredible Me, a creation that celebrates the perfect blend of Asian exoticism
    and European comfort; a modern and imaginative sensuality that unites East with West and immediately
    attracts the senses of the young, vibrant fashionista.

Base Notes:
    A highly edible accord which clearly demonstrates the smooth, gourmand texture of the base note, and
    the addictive personality of the fragrance. The perfumer wanted to recreate the olfactive ‘sensation’ of a
    tiramisu dessert, so that aspects of the key ingredients would be subtly detectable within the fragrance:
    mascarpone, coffee, chocolate and biscuit. The overall effect is exceptionally creamy and offers a
    generous warmth and sensuality to the dry down of the fragrance.

Middle Accord:
    This accord is built around a living head-space of the Miva Fragrance orchid. The Miva Orchid has a
    feminine and lively scent; a blend of delicate peony floralcy and light fruitiness, with a soft feminine
    appeal. The accord has a clean and fresh quality to it but also hints at something slightly more mysterious
    and exotic. It is this more sensual element of the orchid note that provides such a perfect link to the
    smoothness of the base note.

Top Notes:
    The top note accord demonstrates another living head-space, this time of Clementine. The delicate bittersweet
    note from this subtle citrus is gently effervescent and extremely natural. It acts as a hook in the top
    note of the fragrance, which freshens and contrasts the sweet creaminess in the heart and base, without
    overpowering or detracting from its presence.

aljahael's avatar

Monsieur Musk by Dana

I'm constantly complimented on how I smell when wearing Monsieur Musk. Can be a bit overpowering if too much is used. The ladies love it. Hey and it's cheap too.

Guess Suede by Guess

Closely resembles Polo Double Black to my nose, but substitute Double Black's pepper for leather or suede. Not a bad fragrance, but uninspired.

25th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 28th January, 2011)