Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Shaheen's avatar

Guess Suede by Guess

Closely resembles Polo Double Black to my nose, but substitute Double Black's pepper for leather or suede. Not a bad fragrance, but uninspired.

25 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 28 January, 2011)

Shaheen's avatar

Guess Man by Guess

This one reminded me of green (unripe) berries on the dry-down. Slightly fruity, slightly sweet, slightly sour. Somewhat synthetic smelling, and a little unusual.

25 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 28 January, 2011)

Carabruva's avatar

Deseo for Men by Jennifer Lopez

Yes, Shaheen, I know exactly what you mean. This is all sweetness--and tobacco! It was too much from the first spray and that sensation never went away.

It's too bad that this is J Lo's first foray into men's fragrances. What a terrible debut. Even the department store display seemed rather lonely. Deseo had its own counter space, but it looked a little cheesy. And for a fragrance that was just released, the saleswoman didn't seem too interested in promoting it. My guess is that she had experienced her share of bad reactions to it.

26 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 04 September, 2008)

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Angélique Encens by Creed

So if you are new to the world of perfume and you wonder what incense smells like in this case, imagine walking passed a new age store. That is how it smells like and it is wonderful and calming, but you do smell like an incense store. If you always liked the smell of incense when it is just laying in the room but not when you actually light it, then this is perfect for you.

I´m not sure if I would want to smell like a new age store often enough to buy a bottle but it is a really well done perfume and accomplishes what I think it wanted to do.

Again a very soothing perfume that could be perfect for the right person or activity.

Lian's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Needs more power. If you want to smell like you just got out of a shower and are retaining some scent from what you used in there this is it. It´s very light and you can barely notice it but it might give you that impression of freshness people seem to like. I need more presence in a perfume personally.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Vanille Abricot by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Pookerella's right, about the cotton candy! Really, sweet vanilla is all, pure and simple. Not a frag for me...I much prefer my vanilla deeper, drier or much more embellished!

Bakerloo Line's avatar

Adidas Originals pour Homme by Adidas

Smells wonderful, very fresh and clean. This lies very, very close to the skin - almost no sillage, but sometimes you want that.

Classy bottle, methinks.

Aiona's avatar

Snake Oil by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Snake Oil is a perfume oil, so it doesn't absorb right away, which could cause problems with clothing. It reminds me a lot of an essential oil shop I used to frequent. Heavy with deep spicy stuff. I can easily imagine a lot of free-spirit types happily wearing this, and maybe even mixing it up themselves. There's amber in here, but maybe champa too. And maybe lemon oil. Maybe some myrrh. It's rather overwhelming at first, and I feel I should be wearing a tie-dye, ankle-length skirt with Birkenstocks and my peace beads while shopping in an import store. But, then about an hour later, the amber comes out more and makes it less 60's-love-child and more just plain oriental. I like the drydown much better than that first hour of free love. And I like the vanilla, plenty of vanilla in the drydown. Unlike Coyote (another BPAL I've tried), the sillage on this is pretty intense. It's also got some major longevity. It's over 12 hours later, and I'm still giving off amber waves of vanilla! I'm not sure I get the association with Snake Oil, but it is a lovely scent.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Romance Silver Men by Ralph Lauren

Nice...especially considering RL sold basically the same juice to rich folks in select markets as Purple Label for a lot more money. I find it far better than the original...not as generic. And the suede note is downright manly without being macho in your face.
    I do think that the name is off though...I don't think this is romantic...rather it is meant for the wearer to enjoy. It has a more relaxed, down to earth, hanging out vibe to it...not formal at all like the original Romance can be. This relaxed nature is more obvious with Purple Label, which lacks the make-you-sneeze opening.
    Worth the money...just don't expect it to be a formal romantic.

germanomio's avatar

France France

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

i found it fabulous in its style : it is certainly not a smell that we use to know from Guerlain even if i think they tried to make a synthesis of different notes from their other compositions
    the head is very fresh with lime and mint (a note found in some aqua allegoria, closer from the mint in Mentafollia rather this of Herba Fresca) and green and a little bit acid (with rhubarb), but the note of rhum was not detectable to me by itself but it certainly adds some strenght

the floral accord in the middle is very pronounced with the geranium overwhelming (a strange unusual note indeed very masculine and also fresh); a hint of green tea is also present

the drydown is maybe a little bit more formal and conventional but the woods are elegant, mixing vetiver and cedar (the vetiver note is a tribute to JPG's Vetiver) and very well crafted, but i did'nt perceived the rhubarb note; when i smell these basenotes it reminds me many things from other compositions (without being able to told which, something familar from other Guerlain)

my overall impression is that they created something new, very different of the other fragrances for men released nowaday (of course they want it to be a good seller) with still the high standards of quality of this noble House

the bottle is heavy and masculine and i like it a lot

26 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 22 July, 2009)

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

A classic, pure and simple. It's perfect from start to finish and can work on just about anyone.

5 stars!

Bijan Black for Men by Bijan

This one has really grown on me.

It's a little more interesting than some of the other "black" offerings from other houses, but, the best thing about it is that it seems to have a better longevity than most and the drydown is soooo very pleasant and enjoyable - very classy and professional - anything but pretentious. That being said, it's not my favourite Bijan . . . that will be NUDE - it's brilliant . . . but it is still light years better than the original Bijan! A worthy woody, floral effort that I will wear more often than not.

Actually, I think that if more people tried this, they would really like it. Give it a try!

A big thumbs up for the house of Bijan!

Axe Lab by Axe / Lynx

I was amazed at how many compliments I get when I wear this at the gym. People seem to really like it! Nonetheless, even with all the comps in the world, it is nothing special. Still, it is very nice to wear when you don't feel like wasting the good stuff. For that and the comps it gets a thumbs up.

Worth having on the cheap. :-)

lolabeez's avatar

Bulgari pour Femme by Bulgari

A nice violet that doesn't get too out of control. I also pick up the rose and jasmine. The dry down is powdery, but still seems modern. Worn on the right person, it can be quite sexy. This is also a good one for those days when you just can't decide what kind of mood you're in. I have yet to spray it on and wish I hadn't. Beautiful.

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

This really is for people who don't want to project themselves too much, but still want to be fresh smelling when someone gets uncomfortably close to them. - jalexhrovat

Absolutely, however...

There are plenty of other fragrances that will do that.

This is WAY too weak and simply isn't worth paying for. And I don't think Al Morillas made this, I think it was Ted Ivory. Seriously, copying the smell of 150 year old soap is bad form. There are vague hints of other smells in there, but it's 99.44% ripped off (tell 'em Fred), and it has no sillage even before the hour mark, at which point it vanishes completely.

Style In Play by Lacoste

VERY casual.

I smell lemon lime gumdrops and cedar; it's good stuff. I haven't decided if I actually want a bottle yet because I have many, many fresh scents, at least one of which slams cedar in your face almost as much as this does...
    and in case you're curious that would be Eternity Summer 2007.

It's very casual though, if you put this one on with a suit you will smell silly.

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

When I wear this I smell two things...

Tea, which I love, and pimentos. which I I love...

TO EAT.

So far, the two tea inclusive fragrances I've tried have had an additional note that ruined it. This had pimentos, and the other one had burnt rubber, and we all know which one that is.

I don't know if it's my skin or my nose, but sour notes really seem to stand out on me. Don't get me wrong, interesting is great, but at the same time a smell should immediately convey a desire to get closer and smell more, at least to me.

ahmedshawky's avatar

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

Brilliant, classy, understated. Starts weird with boring-citrusy top notes, then turns to (the typical channel-type) herbal, "coconuty", smokey note, steady from middle to base. Very long lasting, yet favourably with average sillage (hence will not annoy the people around you). As if this and Antaeus were both made to be the male versions of the No 5 and Coco female lines. Something prevents me from buying this before finishing my Tea-for-Two bottle (probably due to the similarly in the smoky sweetness !!).

oldnose's avatar

Vanderbilt by Gloria Vanderbilt

This is one of the basics I keep around. It has some of the same appeal (at least on my skin) as Chamade, but at a fraction of the cost. A lovely scent, especially for the price, and long-wearing. It's sparkly and soft at the same time, very well balanced.

oldnose's avatar

Design by Paul Sebastian

I like Design occasionally, mostly because it reminds me of Fame (de Corday) from circa 1970, which was one of the first scents I loved. I can't wear this very frequently, but every once in a while, I crave it - applied lightly. It seems to work pretty well with my chemistry, too. It's a little sweet, but doesn't have the fruity tones that make so many sweet scents overbearing.

SirSlarty's avatar

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

Cheap (cost wise) and typical soapy oakmoss and vetiver 80's scent. Actually very tame compared to others like Paco Rabanne pour Homme or *cough* Drakkar Noir.

SirSlarty's avatar

Cuba Gold by Cuba Paris

Le Male in a differently shaped homo-erotic bottle. I prefer this over Le Male, however. Still a good sweet, powdery vanilla fragrance for the price.

Cool Water by Davidoff

At first I really enjoyed this frag but after years & years of smelling it on so many people I begain to grow tired of it. Thee initial blast is enough to blow king kong away & if over applied you can destroy Tokoyo! It is not a bad scent, however I have grown tired of this 1 & whish to have no memories of this plauge.

Happy for Men by Clinique

This is is 1 of those scents to hope all the best for only to get it & be dissapointed. While this is a nice citurs frag for the summer. It lacks silage & longevtiy! Thats the biggest down fall of HAPPY! & when there is poor silage & longevity there is really nothing to be happy about.

Witness by Jacques Bogart

I got a whiff of this contraption & needless to say there is to much cinnamon in this frag for me. I am glad I did not buy this bottle or I would be highly p'd off! I quickly gave this to a neighbor who is a senior citizen & he says he enjoys it. Well im glad he did bcause that mess was going straight in the GARBITCH! There is nothing attractive about this & I dont think it was aimed for those in there 20's!

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

This has to be 1 of the best if not THEE BEST aquatic scents out. It is very uplifting & comforting. It truely does put a smile on my face. The smell is just amazing. I love everything about this frag from the top, middle & base notes! Well done Bvlgari!

Guess Man by Guess

I dont know what to say about Guess Man. Its not a bad scent, but its not the best either. I sprayed some on & really did not get the smell i was hoping for. Yes its fresh & clean just like out of the shower. But there is nothing in it that stands out on my skin to the point I can smell it myself. However I will give it a neutral rating!

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

When I first smelled this I was actually waiting for the notes to appear so I could test it. I really got nothing from this. It is wayyyyyyyyyyy to light on my skin to the point nothing pops up! It is like spraying water with a hint of NOTHING!

Usher for Men by Usher

This is not a pleasent scent. At least to my nose its not.. I would have thought Usher would have developed a better frag then this but I guess I was wrong! It has really no distinct smell to me & it should def go in the bargain bin but it wont because it bares Usher's name on it. + the bottle is plain & ugly! Nothing sticks out that makes me say HEY! I WANT TO TRY THAT! LAME & BORING!

lizzie_j's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

Where is the LOVE? This used to be my favorite Aqua Allegoria, and my favorite grapefruit. Now it got this sharp, bitterness that I suddently dislike, and that persists for hours. Same fragrance, different brain? Is this what to expect from menopause? Good grief. I can't give it a negative because I used to love it so. Neutral it is.