Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

valentinamaltese's avatar

1881 pour Femme by Cerruti

It's very clean, like line dried cotton, distictly floral and feminine, but not too sweet. My skin enhances she orage flower and the musk, making it even fresher and cleaner, almost evanescent. It shares the clean feeling with White Linen, but is lighter and more elegant. It's distinctive and recognizable, like sexy Chanel n°5 or aggressive Poison, but in a harmelss, quiet and ladylike way, that reminds me of L'air du temps, because of the geranium note. I used to wear it at work, expecially in the summer.

valentinamaltese's avatar

Dewberry Perfume Oil by Body Shop

Dewberry was my perfume in my late teens and early twenties, then the Body Shop stopped selling it in Europe, God knows why.
    A few days ago I got a text message from a girl I had not seen for over ten years. It read: "What is the name of the fragrance you used to wear at university? I smelled it again on a girl on the underground and I absolutely want it!". So I discovered thar Dewberry is back to Italy, apparently since this spring.
    It's really surprising how a girly, fruity and floral inexpensive oil manages to be so memorable. I suppose it's because of the sharp grapefruit and the mouthwatering pear, that give a happy, uplifting emotion to those who smell it. Alas, my skin tends to bring out the fruity notes, at the expense of the floral ones, making this fragrance unfit for a professional woman in her thirties, so I wear it only in my free time, or when I go to sleep, for sweet dreams.

Jemimagold's avatar

Cabaret by Grès

Gres Cabaret surprised me with its cheerfully sunny rose smell. I definitely prejudged it having found Gres' Cabochard's dry chypre notes to be a bit austere and thought Cabaret might have been some kind of Cabochard flanker. However, Cabaret has an upbeat rosy smell and the drydown features a slight hint of sandalwood and musk for enhancement purposes but at all times, rose remains the dominant note. Speaking to its modern-ness, if someone had told me that Cabaret was by Les Parfums de Rosine (a house noted for its rose scents), I would have believed them. In fact, it reminds me an awful lot of Rosine's Une Zeste de Rose. On the downside, Cabaret really did not last on me more than 20 minutes so regretfully I would not consider buying it.

Here are the notes for Cabaret, as gleaned on the internet: Rose, Lily Of The Valley, Peony, Incense, Blue Orris, Sandalwood, Amber and Musk.

mediterranean's avatar

Spain Spain

No. 5 by Chanel

The good thing about chanel 5 is that you can wear it everywhere, to the office ,at weekends,to a date...
    I love the cream and the perfume.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

14 strong years and still going. this one will never be discontinued.very masculine drydown of cedar & sandalwood & tobacco.lasts and lasts throughout the day and evening. not for the faint of heart as it tends to be overbearing at times but to say the least this is a perfect scent.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

over 40's scent. very strong and too masculine. i could only imagine bodybuilders and wrestlers wearing this kinda scent. definately different and strange. probably the weirdest scent most guys under 30 have ever encountered.

Sander for Men by Jil Sander

the spicy middle note and the base notes of incense and myrrh are magical. very unique scent. i would not say (green) but a very romantic and uncasual scent. wear this one out with your lady friend to get her in the mood.

Vendetta pour Homme by Valentino

up their with kouros as one of the nastiest and offensive colognes of all time. how come this is little known and kouros well liked. the answer is this was made 10 years later. valentino v is good but this lacks a smell that many if any man wants to smell like.

V pour Homme by Valentino

romantic as cupid. not an everyday frag but for special nights and occasions for cuddling and well you know. fall/winter. too heavy for warm weather.

Wild Woods for Men by Coty

for a cologne not bad. a decent woody scent that lasts a short time. a blind purchase that i am ok with.

Wild Citrus for Men by Coty

nice subtle lime that last an hour or so. not bad for the price.

L'Aventurier's avatar

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

What a beautiful and unique fragrance. Smells mature without smelling "old" and has an air of adventure that makes me think of the middle east. It smells kind of dry, spicy, dusty and incensey (I smell lots of frankincense) but the base is moist and thick, composed of amber, vanilla and vetiver. This is definitely another fragrance that words cannot do justice in describing - you simply have to try it yourself.

If you want to try to guess what L'air du desert smells like before trying it, check out Andy Tauer's website and read the listing - it smells almost exactly how he describes it, both in imagery and ingredients.

I see LdDM being worn by someone who is rugged and mature in personality. Completely unisex, although I find it better suited to a man. A final word of warning is that LdDM is rather potent and lasts forever, so take it easy on the trigger for this one.

A modern masterpiece.

26 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 14 August, 2009)

bbBD's avatar

Un Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I had no idea this was classified as 'feminine' until I saw it here on BN. Obviously it's my opinion that there's nothing about UBV that makes it more feminine than any other gourmand. And what a gourmand this is!! It's every smell that one would encounter in an espresso shop/bakery, the sweetness of which is grounded and somewhat tempered by undertones of woody notes. There's a lot going on here, and as with other Lutens you can chose to either pick out individual notes, of which there are many, or you can just sit back and just take in the entirety of the aroma wafting up at you. Having just used up a pretty healthy sized sample, I will wait until winter to buy this, not because I wouldn't want to wear it in the heat, but rather because it would be so wonderful to be all bundled up in a parka in the cold outside with a healthy dose of Un Bois Vanille seeping out from beneath the coat.

No. 5 by Chanel

I really couldn't get a good sense of what this actually smelled like in the store when I sprayed it on a tester card.
    It did have a sparkling opening which intrigued me...but I'd never get this one for my wife.
    I know its a classic, but I just don't care for it too much.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Its an ok scent. Very, very easily recognizable. Lasts for max of about 2 hours on my skin with generous application. I think the only way I can get better longevity out of this one would be to use the after shave...but even then it only adds maybe two more hours of longevity.
    I liked this when I was younger and inexperienced in the fragrance world. Not my go to anymore since I've started using Bvlgari Aqva and Erolfa. Doesn't stand up to the depth, sillage and longevity of these.
    Used to be a thumbs up for me, now its a thumbs down.

Brit for Men by Burberry

Another mainstream generic. Didn't stand out too much for me. It smells pleasant enough, but I like fragrances that are significantly different. Again, since this is fairly mainstream, people were able to identify this one on me.
    Its ok with decent sillage and longevity. But it really isn't creative.

B*Men by Thierry Mugler

I liked this one a little better than A*Men, but I still didn't care too much for it. My wife felt the same way.
    Again, too much going on and wasn't all that pleasant in my opinion.

djolney's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Powdery, candied iris that decays into bubble-gum.

If you want a fragrance like this, then check out the far superior version: Flower Bomb by Viktor and Rolf.

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

i have to agree with bamacharm! not for clubbing neither for the young crowd! loved the female version on my mother and decided to buy one for myself! boy it was just the thing but it does get boring if you use for a while...better save it for special occasion...:)

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

dont like like this! remind me of someone id rather forget...:) otherwise to subtle, smell like toothpaste...

Hermèssence Poivre Samarcande by Hermès

I was given this as sample! it is very discrete/subtle which i love and also i find it very mature and very manly, cant see it working on a girl

Tumulte pour Homme by Christian Lacroix

so much Cedar! so boring....Tumulte failed to impress it's rather boring

ausamamira's avatar

Jordan Jordan

G by Giorgio Beverly Hills

when i smell this fragrance i can fight my desire to keep it close to my nose :) its great...very sexy

ausamamira's avatar

Jordan Jordan

Rosamor by Oscar de la Renta

it is an average fragrance that has nothing remarkable ... not bad any way

TheAttorney's avatar

A*Men Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler

I actually really like this alot, the scent opens up with notes very similar to A*MEN with, obviously, much more coffee. I LOVE the drydown which is fresh and clean. If you have A*MEN then this is very very similar so need need to duplicate but, overall, really nice!

Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy

This is a classic in the chyphre-fresh category. The interplay of the citrus top and oakmoss base make the chyphre chord strike; but the chord is struck in a very subtle and sophisticated manner. The lavender heart helps to make this guy purr. And the subtle sandalwood base also rounds things out and makes MdG a pure delight to wear. I'm so glad I was able to get a bottle of the new reissued version of this scent. They did not scrimp on the oakmoss. One of the good things about the cosmetic and fragrance industry restricting certain materials, is that you can read on the label and see for yourself if certain things really in there. I'm sure MdG won't last long, since it is getting very hard to find. My suggestion is that if you see it, try it. If you like it, don't wait to buy it.

Vetyver / Vétiver by Givenchy

This is one of the Vetiver benchmarks in my opinion. It is somewhat less composed and truer to a pure vetiver note that Guerlain's. I love both Givenchy and Guerlain's take on vetiver. They are very different from each other. This one doesn't have as much of a citrus explosion on top, nor do I detect any tobacco as I do in the Guerlain. There is definitely an herbal/spicy note in the middle, perhaps it's the cilantro note that JaimieB is describing. The sandalwood is barely perceptible. This is not a variation on the theme of vetiver, which Guerlain tends to be IMO (and a brilliant variation at that). To my nose, while I would not go so far as calling Givenchy Vetiver a single note fragrance, it is very clear who is the star of this show, and none of the supporting cast get many lines. The other notes are like a very subtle frame on a striking painting. This is a brilliant take on the Vetiver concept, and it is one of the best on the market.

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

If we remember to take into account the low cost of this fragrance, it isn't a bad fig; Trying to compare this one to Philosykos by Diptyque, or Fig and Cassis by Jo Malone is not quite fair; there would be no way to have a fig of the calibre of these two at Marc Jacob's price. For anyone who can't afford to spend big dollars and wants a halfway decent fig scent I'm happy for you that Marc Jacobs came out with this one. I for one am willing to forego instant gratification and save my pennies as I much prefer Fico di Amalfi by Aqua di Parma.

crunkjuice's avatar

Germany Germany

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

this is understandable for me! After reading so many guys receiving compliments on this i had to try it! i already have body kouros which i quite like!
    i tried it immediately on my wrist and was prepared to smell something like body kouros just brighter maybe. LOOL u can imagine how i reacted. I almost fell backwards! So strong, cheap and ugly at the same time!! How can u possibly like this and girls even more!?!?! But i was in town so i gave it many minutes alwys sniffing on my wrist excepting t to change. But nothing happened. Even my girlfriend said it was totally nauseating! She was with me that day. on the other wrist i sprayed M7 which i also didnt like. after 30 minutes of shopping i thought: wow sth smells really nice! It wasn Kouros :/
    Then we both came to the conclusion it MUST be the after shave bottle of kouros.It smelled like the cheapest after shave i used from my dad in those days. I went back but was assured it really was the frag bottle....so its not working for me!
    i dont get it how can someone

crunkjuice's avatar

Germany Germany

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

this is just plain fabolous and beautiful! i smell cherry somehow. Even its not in there. I wonder noone has mentioned that b4. Like cherry with alc (cherry punch).its just amazing how strong it is on my skin i used Carlos Santana and then i sprayed 1 h later Burberry London on my neck. its now 3,5 h since i sprayed it and this is totally outplaying CS i couldnt even smell it right after application. Sitting here with 2 windows open i still get strong whiffs also while turning my head. Its just amazing. Im so happy i bought it. nothing that i dislike here. Sweet and comforting not disturbing at all. It has great sillage to me and probably very good longtivity when i apply more!
    Definitely one of my favs with SMW or Rochas.