Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

SirSlarty's avatar

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

This is very subtle at first but the violet leaves and rosemary are rather fun. Usually I dislike cypress but it's not a major player here. When you need a youthful but inoffensive, light scent, use this.

Musk Gazelle by Madini

Youth Dew's subtler, more sophisticated, but slightly younger sister. Youth Dew has always held a bit of an "old lady" feel for me. That is not the case with Musk Gazelle.

Olive Flowers by Madini

On me, this is either a slightly smokier Shalimar, or a sister of Vol de Nuit! Citrus top note, with a sexy amber-vanilla-incense drydown. Very sophisticated, tons of "presence." AND lasts a LOT longer, at least on me, than Shalimar. Like some other Madini fragrances, scent has a complexity that reminds me of the great perfumes of the 1930s.

Sahara by Madini

This is a richly complex, vanillic Oriental in the style of some of the great "movie queen" fragrances of the 1930s. I don't see this as a masculine fragrance, at all. Garbo would wear this. I could smell it on Harlow. Bergman would wear this, as she mounted the gangplank of an ocean liner, her face shaded by veiled sun hat. Sahara is one of Mr. Madini's "old-fashioned" blends (read: drop dead glamorous) that scream "sophisticated woman."

Merlino's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Route du Vetiver starts very rooty on me, not very pleasant though. After that it smells woody and smokey but like a Dutch sausage called 'rookworst' at the same time.

I'm not a fan of vetiver therefore I'm definitely not a fan of this creation by MPG. Having said that, I can understand that this is original (it's unlike anything I've ever smelled). Thumbs down for wearability, thumbs up for quality and originality. Add the two and you get a neutral rating.

LuciusVorenus's avatar

Pino Silvestre by Silvestre

This perfume does NOT smell synthetic at all. it is very natural and real. Many people will be outraged by my statement, but the truth is that I prefer Pino Silvestre to Blenheim Bouquet. I think that the mix of pine and citrus in BB is not pleasant and too sharp, even though the pine note is more powerful and refreshing than Pino's

Overall, Pino Silvestre is more harmonious than Blenheim Bouquet. You can buy it for less than 10 bucks... It is one of the true bargains available today. A must have.

maverickmage's avatar

Zirh by Zirh

Very green and fresh. However a tad boring. It doesn't present with anything new and really offers no lure. If you want to go with a safe non-offensive choice, buy it, otherwise spend your money elsewhere.

maverickmage's avatar

Gendarme Sky by Gendarme

Sky blasts you in the face with a lemony soapy scent and stays that way for several hours. The citrus note then fades away leaving a clean soap scent left. It has great sillage and lasts a while, but the scent just isn't doing it for me.

Coco by Chanel

This is the perfume my students love, and they are twelve! Whenever I wear it everybody compliments me.Somehow it is very 80s but it has become a classic. In my opinion the best chanel.

Dolce Vita by Christian Dior

I like dior scents,they really make you take side, you love them or you hate them.There are so many perfumes in the market nowadays that are just "nice" and it is sooo difficult to find something with personality.This one makes heads turn. I love it ,my students hate it. It´s happy, elegant,I can smell the cedar in it, warm for cold days, and cosy. The bottle takes you back to the 50s ,I can see Sofia Loren wearing this or Lauren Bacall.
    This one and Le Basier du Dragon , my two favourites at the moment.

Pleasures by Estée Lauder

Happiness and holidays, the beginning of spring,pink flowers, picnics in the woods. The advert is great, quite reflects the sense of the fragance , naive and beautiful, very feminine .
    An instant mood lifter.

Organza by Givenchy

This is like the Christmas pudding.We all love it once a year but not for everyday.Too sweet and beautiful , but who wants cakes for breakfast , lunch and dinner?.

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

This used to be my signature scent .I wore for three years and received lots of compliments, but like other things in my life I moved on. Now my mother wears it beautifully and sometimes I borrow it to remember the old good times.

Le Baiser du Dragon by Cartier

My big favourite at the moment.I bought it for my birthday,very spicy and warm , great opening , breathtaking,not very long lasting though. You have to layer it with the body cream to make it last. Beautiful bottle!

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Douce Amère by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Douce Amere sparkles from the moment the mist leaves the bottle and hits my wrist. This is a warm, almost nutty scent with a note that reminds me of the smell of fresh rye bread. Way into the drydown I get a kind of dry sawdust note (which is wonderful to me since I'm an artist and this is the familiar smell of my studio on occasion). There is also a note that reminds me of human sweat that I find very sensual. Through it all there is a cinnamon/nutmeg spiciness that makes this scent the perfect balance between masculine and feminine. I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did when I ordered my first small sample (I have since ordered a larger decant), but I was hooked from the beginning. This is one of my top 4 Serge Lutens scents, along with MKK, Borneo 1834 and Un Lys. In my opinion Douce Amere is really underrated. Like its name implies, there is something beautifully melancholy and mysterious about this scent. I think it's a deceptively simple scent that wasn't meant to make a loud, assertive statement , but was meant to be quietly pondered. Definitely a romantic one in my book.

bbBD's avatar

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

On my skin I experience way too much ginger without other notes to balance the ginger's sharpness. I note the powdery notes some others detect, but not any of the sweetness. It's almost as though Blv takes the ginger's acridity without that little hint of sweet that I find in, say, my girlfriend's 'ginger essence' perfume (from Origins). CK Euphoria is a good example of a ginger notes counterbalanced by other accords. If you like sharp ginger, Blv is for you - otherwise I'd stay far away.

bbBD's avatar

Dunhill Fresh by Dunhill

I'm never exactly sure what I think about Dunhill Fresh... it's nothing special, but at the same time it's not bad, and while on one hand it is seemingly just another fresh men's fragrance, it offers some things the others don't... read on if you care...

This is not strong, even with excessive application - but that's too be expected of something actually named 'fresh'. The initial 'green notes' I detect are reminiscent of watermelon. Not actual watermelon, but the 'candy' watermelon scent I associate with, say, Jolly Ranchers. The only thing is, this light fruit scent isn't sweet, it's fairly dry. If this was all I detected the scrubbing would start now, but there's something - some note - that creates the slightest sharp/spicy balance to the freshness. Perhaps it is the 'basil' note listed, or perhaps it is something from the heart/base.

I don't get much development on my skin, either that or the fragrance isn't strong enough to appreciate its base. What fruitiness there is slowly fades, leaving a pleasant, but unremarkable, floral/green accord that lightly persists a couple hours and fades out. I haven't tried massively overapplying to see if I can detect the base notes.

I don't find myself ever reaching for D-Fresh, but I'd choose it before any number of others in its categories. At least its inexpensive!

surreality's avatar

Blue Amber by Montale

Montale's Blue Amber is beautiful and rich amber scent. The opening starts out very powdery with a hint of citrus, but soon turns into a rich creamy amber with maybe just the slightest hint of vetiver. The dry down gets a little more vetiverine giving the scent a deeper more earthy character but the amber remains in the forefront.

This is powerful stuff. A little dab on my inner elbow that I put on before bed to test Blue Amber's longevity lasted well over 24 hours and before I fell asleep I felt enveloped by the scent, not in an overpowering way but like a cloud of spicy, vanillic goodness surrounded my body. I gave this a full wearing on a cooler evening and it was sublime. I couldn't image wearing this in hot and humid weather; it could very easily become overpowering. However, I think that this will become an integral part of my scent wardrobe come fall and winter.

MFJ's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Though this can be overly common, I still find this to be one of the best "fresh" scents. It has great longevity and projection and serves its purpose very well. I like the floral dry-down alot.

03 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

MFJ's avatar

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

This is another addition to the massive pool of generic citrus and woody-based scents out there. The whole citrus-musk/wood theme has been overdone since CK One. The opening citrus notes fade away pretty fast to reveal a creamier woody base. Nothing spectacular.

03 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th September, 2009)

monikalawnicka's avatar

Poland Poland

Berberiades by Stéphanie de Saint-Aignan

an intriguing scent, with spicy notes creating a feeling like one is in the middle of a bazaar waking up - when the odour of people has not yet domunated the goods. jasmine and citrus adding freshness to the scent.

BlackCat's avatar

Jasmin Full by Montale

While this was pleasant enough, I was surprised to find it meek and quiet on me, almost bland. I got little headiness and no indoles. And unlike the other Montales I've tried, it had little sillage or longevity. A bit disappointing on me, but I'll bet it's lovely on others.

Bobbi by Bobbi Brown

I struggle to think of this as a perfume - it's more of a splash. Fresh, a little leafy and green, a little powdery, and not quite... finished. It's lovely if you can't make up your mind, or are not a fan of complex or heavy perfumes. The bottle design and the colour of the fragrance match what it smells like very well. (And as for the comment of her make-up line being "nothing special" - could not disagree more. Bobbi's make-up line is superb capsule range of products that suit everyone and the colours are designed to make you look like yourself, but better. For wild colours and fun stuff, you've got to accessorise with other brands, just like you'd buy your little black dress from one range and the jewellery from another).

03 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 June, 2009)

Bulgari pour Femme by Bulgari

Violet sweeties, wrapped in chiffon, eaten in a luxurious boudoir. Not a very sexy scent, but an unobtrusive, clean, women-portrayed-as-delicate-flowers kind of perfume. I can see this being a huge favourite for some and I do think it is a beautiful composition. Not for me, though.

Burberry for Women by Burberry

One of the few perfumes where the fruity-powdery axis works. There is a hint of apple and it's supported by quite a sweet, unobtrusive caramel & vanilla-laden base, which isn't half bad.

This (the original Burberry for women) is really rather good, but not terribly complex, or sophisticated. Wearing this does get you compliments and it's an easy perfume to wear.

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

Go to a flower shop. Buy a bouquet of white lilies and hyacinths. Get them home and spray some inexpensive, but nice deodorant on them. Leave for a few hours. Now stick your head right in. Take a deep breath. You've pretty much got Anaïs Anaïs.

It's like a good pop song that's been overplayed in the radio - wasn't considered "cheap" when it was launched by any means, but its sheer availability and exposure has devalued it quite a bit. There are far worse florals being released today, but I'm not convinced that makes for a top proposition for the perfume of your dreams either.

On a personal note, this takes me back to my teens when an older girl I admired used to wear it and I kept thinking it was wonderful.

Chance by Chanel

The concept sounds delightful, as do the notes. The bottle design is quirky and the opening, although a little too synthetic, almost promises something. Those are the best aspects of this perfume. If another house produced a scent as average as this, it'd get a neutral. But for Chanel to do it? It's a thumbs down. They missed their chance with this one.

Chloé (original) by Chloé

This is by no means an accurate description of the notes, but rather, my impression of the scent: take a ripe apricot, dip it in powdered sugar and sit it on white tuberose blossoms. Take your creation out to the garden where Honeysuckle vines run rampant among the flowers. That's what Chloe feels like when you first spray it on.

On skin, it evolves to an even more honeyed floral and finally imparts a soft, feminine glow that has had more than one person lean closer and ask "what IS that?"

Glad to see that the original Chloe is still available through some retailers; I'll be upset when it goes. The new one is too sterile in my opinion.

Chloé Narcisse by Chloé

This perfume is like caramelised air freshener. It's incredibly cloying and sickly. That is, of course, just my reaction to it - and as always with perfumes, entirely subjective.

Casmir by Chopard

This could have been a great fragrance, but I don't know whether it's the fruit, or the coconut, but it's just too sickly and cloying on me. The opening has promise, but very soon after that it goes so pungent that I need to wash it off.