Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

crunkjuice's avatar
    crunkjuice
    Germany Germany

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

this is just plain fabolous and beautiful! i smell cherry somehow. Even its not in there. I wonder noone has mentioned that b4. Like cherry with alc (cherry punch).its just amazing how strong it is on my skin i used Carlos Santana and then i sprayed 1 h later Burberry London on my neck. its now 3,5 h since i sprayed it and this is totally outplaying CS i couldnt even smell it right after application. Sitting here with 2 windows open i still get strong whiffs also while turning my head. Its just amazing. Im so happy i bought it. nothing that i dislike here. Sweet and comforting not disturbing at all. It has great sillage to me and probably very good longtivity when i apply more!
    Definitely one of my favs with SMW or Rochas.

Shaheen's avatar
    Shaheen

Versace pour Homme by Versace

This smells somewhat similar to Acqua di Gio (they are certainly in the same fragrance category). Where Acqua di Gio is quite peppery, Versace pour Homme is smoother and "cleaner." VpH is dryer and the base notes are more woody that AdG. I didn't like it on my skin, however.

It's potent, lasts all day on my skin, and has rather amazing sillage. Give it a try if you're a fan of fragrances in this category.

26 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 25 October, 2009)

Crawdad's avatar
    Crawdad

Rochas Man by Rochas

God, this is a strong one, with some intense staying powder. On initial spray, Lavender is very prominent and in your face. Dries down fairly quickly to a smoky mocha scent, with some definite hints of vanilla. Rochas Man really reminds me of Pi by Givenchy, but more "three dimensional", so to speak, in that there is more behind the scenes than just intense sweetness.

Overall, I like this a lot, though I will caution anyone using it to be extremely careful with the application. One single spray on my wrist left people asking me about what scent I was wearing for several hours (though in a positive manner). This would be great in cool weather, or used VERY LIGHTLY when going out.

nucker's avatar
    nucker

Hang Ten for Him by Hang Ten

I'm a true frag lover. I find something good in almost every scent. Not this one. Cat piss.

Angéliques Sous La Pluie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Love it love it love it! But does not last 2 minutes. Don't tell me I don't have a good nose because this is in only a 4% concentree.

100% Love by S-Perfume

Puke in a bottle. OMG! The price for this is way out of hand. Have some manners when visiting a store that carries the scent and do not spray this!

Fleur d'Oranger 27 by Le Labo

Break it down in a couple of words. Sharp, dry, green, aromatic and floral. Its a fantastic summery unisex combination. Not meant to be a traditiional fleur d orange. Would only by in the summer.

Jasmin 17 by Le Labo

Maurice took another route in fragrance making. A white flower scent, but he left a trail of powdery notes behind. Its a fresh white flower scent with woody, sweet and musky notes. Drys down as a gentle floral. Men love it on me!!

Labdanum 18 / Ciste 18 by Le Labo

If you been waiting for Maurice to release a musky scent geared towards women then L18 is fabulous. His past scents such as Musc Ravageur and Helmut Lang were mainly unisex fragrances. L18 is more feminine and uses finer animalic musk notes such as civet. Love Shalimar? Want something just a little more modern, try L18.

Ambrette 9 by Le Labo

If you like your scent airy watery and clean with no sharpness that will make you sneeze, then Ambrette 9 scent that is suppose to be worn by a baby is right for you.

Iris 39 by Le Labo

Love it but would wear it untill I am 50. Earthy, bitter, sweet and very musky! So musky that you can see it in the bottle. Thick oil that looks like they might turn to solids after a while. Very pure. Has some lime and ginger with civet. A kool down to earth mature scent.

Rose 31 by Le Labo

The first real rose scent for men. Everyone that ever hated rose will love this one. All you have to love is fresh spices of incense, pepper and vetiver. An amazing scent for men or women! Two thumbs up in my book...

Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

An astounding love it or hate it fragrance! Smells like a smokey fireplace in the first 5 minutes and then turns into a passionate leathery amber. Finally a different patchouli. All patch scent have always smelled the same and now its been covered by other fabulous ingrediants so that you only can smell a hint of it on the dry down. Don't want a migrain, get P24

Neroli 36 by Le Labo

You want a fresh scent that you can smell on yourself all day long? N36!!! The marine notes are long lasting. High quality! Don't expect it to smell like your typical neroli. It is unisex but I find it better on a woman. A year round scent overall.

Tubereuse 40 by Le Labo

If people understand the smell of raw tubereuse oil by itself then they will understand T40. Normally tubereuse smells like a floral gardenia, citrus and green. Its been combined by that exact combination so that when it drys down, it ends up smelling like a natural tubereuse. Just have to deal with the "cologne smell" of citrus in the beginning. Thumbs up from me!

Aldehyde 44 by Le Labo

Never smelled anything close to it. Musky, medicinal, oriental and metallic. Dry down is amazing! Very sexy but also odd. Left me speechless. Everyone wants it but I am not telling where to get it. Worth every penny!

Outrageous! by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Low budget fragrance should be price in its category. It smells cheap. The only note that smells decent is the bergamote in it. Everything else gives me nausea. Sorry Mr. Malle.

Vanille 44 by Le Labo

Love it! Nothing bad to say. Sexy on a man and a woman. Not an offensive vanilla. Not exagerrated on the sweetness. Smells sensual, musky, airy and sweet. I take two!

Shaheen's avatar
    Shaheen

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

It smells like blood oranges, spice, and scorched earth and wood. I like this fragrance but it's overly strong to my nose, even when using only a single spray. There's also some type of metallic property that just doesn't work with my chemistry. The whole composition came off as somewhat suffocating to me.

26 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 28 January, 2011)

jalexhrovat's avatar
    jalexhrovat

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I've rediscovered A*Men, and I must say I changed my mind about this one. It is a great all round fragrance, and worth the hype in my opinion. Definitely worth at least a sampling by any serious fragrance collector.

26 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 09 April, 2011)

Tony T's avatar
    Tony T

Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

i guess it's an up in the air kinda scent. i myself love sweet scents (JPG,DESIRE, JPG 2) ETC.. this right here is too much for me, i thought. very powdery that can be unisex. very complex and rich. either you love it or hate it..

26 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 29 October, 2012)

iMaverick's avatar
    iMaverick

Deseo for Men by Jennifer Lopez

The girl from the block takes a first stab at a men's scent...AND SHE HAS JUST MISSED MY JUGULAR! HA!, don't get me wrong, I just didn't know what direction she was heading with this one, and it was a scary ride in the "Hood" at certain points on the progression of the scent.

Overall, the scent reminds me of the warm spicy-sporty scents of the 90's, something like Tommy and Hilfiger Athletics (remember that one?).

The opening was a strange musty odor, a cross between construction dust and waterfall mist (big contrast between the two, eh?). There's a berry note in there, but my nose thought it more a tropical fruit (another big contrast). Mild at first, then it started to intensify. I thought it was heading full bore this way. I stuck it out, resisting the temptation to wipe the berry bomb off my wrist, but it leveled off. Beautiful woods peek out, but barely any strength to redeem any refined (underscore refined, please, because at this point it is smelling brutish) masculinity about this scent. I suspect they were cutting down on costs by keeping the base rather thin. Typical MO on celebriscent fashion, I'd say, but the rest of the notes seem pretty tenacious, especially that spicy aspect. Beautiful notes, but terrible execution and the proportions need tweaking.

I wanted to blame the summer heat for doing such strange things to this scent because it seemed to smell fine in an air-conditioned environment, but it was total pimp-juice in the heat.

I'm giving it a neutral rating because somehow, despite the bashing assessment, my mind thinks that the composition is an amorphous fantasy of what desire is all about, like a reverie--the notes are like little dream sequences flitting in and out. But it was also like a car ride with beginner car driver. So many near-missed brushes with disaster!

iMaverick's avatar
    iMaverick

Magnifique by Lancôme

Solidified, berried, hard candy. Awful! It's cloud is so thick that there are no spaces in between to breathe real air.

Joshaugustt's avatar
    Joshaugustt

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

I THINK THIS IS THE BESST OF TAUER'S FRAGRANCES. IT'S HAUNTING AND THERE'S NOTHING LIKE IT, ANYWHERE. A BEAUTIFUL FRAGRANCE!

manicboy's avatar
    manicboy

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

On paper, this scent seems like a spice bomb waiting to go off. Yes, the opening is a herbaceous warhead loaded with lavender aimed straight for the nose. They could use this as smelling salts if needed. Inexplicably it settles down in a honey-tobacco brew of clove and geranium. Finishes off in a 70's motif to oak moss & musk. Dated yes, but man, this stuff this smells good without apology. For daring men of all ages. Use it wisely!

manicboy's avatar
    manicboy

Roberto Cavalli Black by Roberto Cavalli

This one flew underneath everybody's radar. I don't think it was ever released in the US. Anyway, I did manage to get a bottle for a good price, and I'm glad I did. If you tried other "black" scents, forget those pretenders to the throne of darkness and give this one a try. First of all, this bottle is cool! A strikingly dark black/purple hue illuminates a snake crawling around the bottle. In a different light, the bottle turns green. But how does it smell? Like a modern take on a club scent that is balanced and nuanced. The opening reveals a bamboo and spice mix that is very inviting. Tickles the nose a bit. Gentle yet very elegant. Towards the midnotes, the white pepper and geranium take this to a different dimension. There's a subtle lavender note in here that's hard to detect but it's there if you "look" for it. Slowly the sweet wood and musk notes take over for a finale. You'd think with white pepper, lavender and musk, this would be an in-your-face fragrance, but I'm here to say that the perfumer did an excellent job blending these notes that it remains present but not "too" present. I'd also go so far to say that the vibe here is towards a dark, gothic glow. I can see some parallels to Armani's Black Code, but this one is more interesting because of the different transitions it takes, especially in the midnotes. Nothing groundbreaking here but a superb scent when all is said and done.

Quarry's avatar
    Quarry

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

If Rochas Femme is the Mae West of chypres, then Y is the Audrey Hepburn, worldly but still refined.

cpk's avatar
    cpk
    Greece Greece

Route du Vétiver by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

This is not vetiver. It is the Root of vetiver. It is perfect! you smell the wet turf that comes out with the plant as it is pulled from the earth. There is a hint of milldew which is sooo pleasent it really makes you wonder how come you 've never noticed before that milldew can be such a wonderfull fragrance. Needless to say that it is not a perfume for people who like floral, citrusy, aquatic fragrances. But for those who are willing to try it is a wonderful journey from the moist soil, where everything begins, to the green tips of leaves where life closes its circle. It has a remarkable longevity and develops in a way that made me smile everytime I smelled my wrist.

Caltha's avatar
    Caltha
    Sweden Sweden

Centaure by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I wanted to like Centaure - I like the idea of a fragrance called Centaure - but alas, it smells just like mosquito repellant. I know I've been comparing scents to mosquito repellant before, but none of them has been so spot-on as Centaure. It really has no other notes, just a perfect rendition of those mosquito repellant sticks you put on your skin.

Caltha's avatar
    Caltha
    Sweden Sweden

Secret Mélange by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Feels very vintage with its powdery/soapy/aldehydic, rich, warm and slightly musty (not in a bad way, mind you) rendition of a clove-studded orange. I think I get a whiff of nutmeg too, but not much else. Definitely a gentleman's scent but I'm not sure why - because it feels barbershoppy with its soap and citrus notes? Because it lacks the sweetness to make it into an equally vintage-feeling ladies' oriental? Anyway, I quite like the old-fashioned quality, it reminds me of scents like Creed's Ambre Cannelle, Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet, Guerlain's Habit Rouge and even Old Spice... It's been a while since I smelled bay rum, but I think there are similarities there too...