Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Je Reviens by Worth

this is in fact clean and crisp, and well done, but to me, it reminds me of furniture polish (in fact it is a bot woody, but not in a dark way, plus some powder and flowers). I understand it is a classic but i can't wear it, no matter what.

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

a nice salty marine scent, with a hint of sweetness in the drydown, i originally give it to my brother but later took it back because i like it so much. spicy but not in an overpowering way. lovely for the summer, close your eyes and smell the ocean breeze...

Almond Blossom Dew by L'Occitane

very comforting, smooth, and warm, not to sweet, almondy through and through and delicious, stays close to skin (it is in fact a fluid to be applied like body milk). love it. my autumn staple, would be nice if l'occitane made a "real" scent of this

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

lately, i've taken to masculine marketed scents, this is one of them. smells like a wet road, spicy, fresh with oranges, black pepper and vetiver. edgy, definitely unisex

Aomassaï 10 by Parfumerie Generale

absolutely lovely, thought not for everyone. suitable for colder months (i've already worn it during summer and it's fine, but the colder months and wool scarves and pullovers let the scent stand out more). imagine gourmand caramel paired with burning leaves and maybe a hint of dark bitter chocolate and woods.

hallospacegirl's avatar

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

When I first tried this, I didn't know what to think. It smelled pleasant, sure, but wasn't like WOW OMG AWESOME. But then... as great scents are apt to do... it wormed under my skin... and I kept returning... and returning. This perfume smells like a memory. Its opening notes are incredibly clear. I can smell the open spaces, the dry wind, the sweet amber (my skin always brings out sweet smells). It really is a memory in a bottle. A peaceful, contemplating scent. Plus, Andy Tauer comes across as an awesome, accessible guy. I suggest ordering stuff directly from his website -- he has samples and reasonable prices! The ONLY reason preventing me from snatching up a full-size bottle of this piece of art (and yes, this feels more like an artistic work than just any ol' perfume) is that I don't think I can carry it off very well. I look like a fruity/flower kind of girl, and I lack the mysteriousness and gravitas for this lovely scent. But who knows? Who cares? Once my sample runs out, I think I'm getting this. Darn you, Andy Tauer, for bringing me just one more step closer to homelessness. At least I'll SMELL GOOD! ;)

Spring Flower by Creed

This is a surprising scent. The very top note is menthol mint something. Then comes water lilies or lilies left in much water and began to decay. Base notes are fresh nice florals which lily is not very heady, well balanced and nice. The only problem is these well balanced nice florals have become so crowded in the market that i began to see them like penguins and have troubles in remembering which is which. I will give it thumbs up but as a am not hit at heart by the top note surprises i would buy a cheaper penguin instead of it.

Ocean Dream by Designer Parfums

Very best quality ocean scented fabric softener smell; then comes fresh and smooth flowers. Longevity poor. stays close to skin and that would be good for perfume- timid ones. It is nice but not striking.

Glorious by Gloria Vanderbilt

One friend of my mother had gifted it to me with a winter white cashmere coat when i was at collage. They were not truly gifts as she tried and disliked them both. Both were much for my age but i enjoyed wearing now and then them when i wanted to feel grown up rich womanly... Glorious is a really rich and sophisticated fragrance with strong silage and longevity. My brother drove both of us to collage and kept the car in the afternoon suffered from it so much as my smell stayed in the car all day. I cannot belive how cheap it is now. I wish i could find it one of the internationally shipping online stores.

Spark for Women by Liz Claiborne

With so much honey and cinnamon in it is hard to enjoy florals and champagne in it. That is why i do not like spicy scents. spices are too strong so spicy is only spicy and cannot be have any other colors. the base contains some woods and that is the best part of it.

Desire Blue by Dunhill

Spicy lemon turns to a nice and ordinary aquatic. Not bad but not to fall in love with...

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

Smooth and easy to wear - a class act. I love it.

Brut by Fabergé

It is what it is - a classic. Nice to have around. It works even better when paired with the after shave and deodorant.

By Man by Dolce & Gabbana

Thus far, this is the best of all the Dolce and Gabbana line. It is the perfect going out clubbing scent that works well for daytime use too! A shame it is discontinued - I will miss it when it is finally gone completely. It's a one of a kind keeper!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

D&G Masculine by Dolce & Gabbana

A lemon fantasy in a bottle. An awesome summer scent - not one for the winter. NICE!

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

This is the one that got me head over heals into D&G awhile ago. A brilliant scent that exudes pure class from start to finish. Another one that works well on anyone and everyone. This is truly a great classic and will be a favourite of mine forever.

RECOMMENDED!

Brut Revolution by Fabergé

ADG clone, but nicer IMHO. A good on the cheap fragrance - the longevity is alright, a bit more spicy (with pepper) than ADG - that's about all that can be said. . .

Would I buy it again? No.

Citrus Verbena Intensa by L'Occitane

Hands down - this is the best lemon verbena scent available. BUY IT - it's worth every last dollar!

This one is at the very top of my list as my #1 choice for summer. A masterpiece. 5 stars.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

H.M. by Hanae Mori

I need a gourmand, but haven't tried many, so I'm not going to run out and buy this just yet. I've blown through about 10 samples I got at Nordies though, so that about sums up my review. It's fantastic. It opens smelling key lime pie-ish. After awhile it slowly changes to a "just walked into Carvel" scent, which I suppose is caused by the chocolate and vanilla.

SirSlarty's avatar

Bright Visit by Azzaro

I want to say this composition is confused but I happen to like it. It reminds me more of L'eau par Kenzo or L'eau D'Issey in its topnotes: citrus and marine-ish accords. Basenotes are a very, very light amber and sandalwood. The light blue colored juice suggests an air of freshness that's probably found in much better bottles of the same type of fragrance. Has decent sillage; a comment was, "your smell lingered after you left the room" and the was from someone's nose that was stuffed up.
    Despite the good sillage, doesn't last long.

OlfactoryExperience's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

The Dreamer by Versace is an amazing fragrance with character, performance, and appeal. I have often read reviews written on "The Dreamer" that cite its opening as being harsh, objectionable, and all-together inconsistent with the fragrance's further development. I personally find the top notes intense and sharp, but I do not think these notes are a large digression from the perfume's aim nor do I find them unattractive. It does take, perhaps, 10 minutes for the top notes to settle into a spicy, floral sweetness. This aroma, though it stays somewhat close to the skin, is potent and requires only a light breeze to be carried away into the nostrils of another. Therefore, over-applying will not get you the projection you desire, for it will only suffocate you. The key is to spray the fragrance in those key places on your skin that get exposure to local puffs of wind. This particular fragrance does not have much complexity or development other than the initial progression from the top notes, but the dry-down is comparable to Le Male by JPG in its sweet, powdery finish. Estimating the longevity to be around 8-10 hrs, I would say its staying power is very good. I would recommend this for daytime use, especially outdoors. I have found that it has the ability to come alive with some help from the outside air. I hope this helps.

LuciusVorenus's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

The lavender is lovely, but the vanilla on the base made me sick. I prefer L'Occitan by L'Occitane. It is a much better lavender fragrance. This combination of lavender and vanilla doesn't work for me.

Bigsly's avatar

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

I find the opening too much of a "nose twister" to my liking. There is a nice spicy blend behind that opening blast, but then it dries down to a rather boring leathery scent, and it doesn't last all that long. I found myself reaching for other fragrances, such as Lalique for men (lion), instead of HR, so I decided to swap off my bottle. In contrast to my "newbie" review, I don't find this animalic now, just too strange and yes, unpleasant, in the opening, with not enough in the drydown to make me want to endure those top notes. This one you need to try several times before you buy a bottle, and that's only if the notes and descriptions of HR seem to be what you're seeking.

My old "newbie" review:

I have tried the EDC version only. The first sampling did not go well. The animalic floral qualities were overwhelming and I washed it off within the hour. However, I was fortunate to get a nearly full bottle in a swap, so I took advantage of the offer, knowing that I could then re-swap it off again. Instead of wearing it again, I opened the top and smelled it every few days, before sampling it again. Doing this must have desensitized my dislike for the animalic florals, because when I sampled it again, over a month after the first sampling, I could handle the first several minutes. After that, it seemed to settle into a great spicy fragrance, with great "balance" amongst the different notes. I don't get strong vanilla at any point. Sillage is good but longevity could be better, though since it's an EDC I probably shouldn't complain about it. I enjoy spicy fragrances and this is not like the others, so I think it's got a permanent role in my rotation.

27 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 22 June, 2009)

40ish's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

This is the flagship of unisex...neither feminine nor masculine. It's Pat...in a bottle.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

renperd's review made me laugh because Bal a Versailles is like a coquette. The opening (for me) is powdery cinnamon/clove and florals. As it starts to dry down a rich woodiness emerges that's velvety soft and still overlay-ed with spice. Unlike others, I can't call Bal a Versailles a warm scent because throughout it always seems to remain cool, refined and aloof. It teases you by pulling you in just enough, but never allowing you to get close enough to really figure it out. B a V is as hard to pin down as Mitsouko because of the way it keeps playing and changing on my skin as time passes. It's never overly sweet, but just perfect in it's balance. This is one of those scents that I can suddenly be hit with a craving for, like a slice of pizza, or some other satisfying food. The far dry down is a soft, faintly sweet and powdery leather that can be swoon inducing.

Many have talked about how animalic this is, but I don't get much of that at all. For me, what makes this a romantic and seductive scent is the sense of mystery it evokes. If you don't care for powdery notes, you may not like Bal a Versailles. But then again, this may be the one that makes you make an exception to that rule.

Mûre et Musc Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

If you don't like Mure et Musc, it makes sense to not try the Extreme, otherwise you'll be tempted to write a duplicate bad review referencing your original poor review. And that would just be totally absurd.

I digress. L'Artisan continues to challenge and defy my normal fragrance preferences. I'm generally not at all fond of fruity fragrances, but I like this! Perhaps it's because the berry notes are not sweet, but sparkly - as though you were sniffing berry flavored soda water (Polar brand, if you know it). This berry, in confluence with the musky and powdery base, creates a unique fragrance that you just can't help but like. I'll admit I was indifferent at first, but just a couple repeat wears allowed me to see the simple happiness of MeM Extreme.

As I sample more L'Artisan fragrances I'm finding that some of their most simply constructed scents are the best. It's counterintuitive that it should take a more trained nose to recognize the quality inherent in simplicity.

Vanilia by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I'm not sure why, but I have a thing for vanilla fragrances. It's odd because otherwise I shy away from sweet scents, especially anything both fruity and sweet. Having sampled many vanilla fragrances, I can honestly say this is one of my favorite, and it is the best representation of one end of the vanilla spectrum. Specifically, this is a minimalist, light vanilla, as opposed to thick, rich amber heavy vanillas such as SL Un Bois Vanille or floral vanillas like Dior Addict.

I assume it's the addition of ethylmaltol that makes Vanilia unique (Turin, p.347). The effect to my nose is to create a soapy undertone to the vanilla note, which is already delicate to begin with. The overall result is a vanilla that is lightly sweetened without being overbearing or cloying in the slightest. There isn't much development - after all this is a vanilla fragrance - but I did notice that the soapiness eventually mellows, making the entire composition a little cotton-candyish.

Definitely bottle-worthy, Vanilia would be a great for the office or anywhere else that you want to enjoy vanilla without projecting yourself like a dunkin donuts. Although definitely wearable by a man, this would be a sexy vanilla on a woman.

Hermèssence Rose Ikebana by Hermès

I'm not much for rose fragrances, but I find this one very enjoyable and more unisex than any other rose-centered fragrance. As people have noted, the opening is citrus and rose, probably 60::40/citrus::rose. Predictably, the citrus fades and the rose becomes more prominent. A healthy application lasts about 3-4 hours. As with most of the other Hermesscences, this is a minimalist composition, uncluttered with extra notes or background 'noise' to detract from the simplicity of the rose and citrus. If you look at it in this context instead of comparing to preconceived notions or expectations, the lack of longevity doesn't detract from the quality of the scent. Admittedly this is expensive juice to be reapplying 3-4 times in a day. Not the best of the Hermessence line, but definitely among the tops from the Hermes house.

oolala30's avatar

Ma Dame by Jean Paul Gaultier

This fragrance redeems itself with the drydown. I tried this while visiting Macy's. Sniffed it and really hated it. Tried it on my skin and still hated it. I walked around with it for a while and after about half an hour I finally remembered to sniff it again. This time I was totally amazed!! The fragrance was exceptional and I was in love. I went back to Macy's and obtained a sample in order to try it again on clean skin and test out the lasting power. I've now had the opportunity to try this out for a couple of days and the decision is that this is definitely a keeper. I will definitely be getting a full bottle of this REAL SOON!!!

djolney's avatar

No. 19 by Chanel

To my nose, at least, there is a very significant difference between the EDT and EDP versions of Chanel No. 19.

The EDT version has a strange green heart that I cannot bring myself to like, and as time passes it takes on the character of Cristalle (which I do not like at all).

No. 19 EDP is a completely different fragrance.

It opens with a beautiful accord of bergamot and some sort of artemisia. This accord is one of the most beautiful things I have ever smelled, and it reminds me of the bergamot and tarragon accord in Givenchy Gentleman after it has calmed down.

The heart of No. 19 EDP shows Jacques Polge’s hand. Gone is the strange green heart of the EDT, instead replaced by Polge’s signature heart of rose and jasmine. This heart sings a glorious song all day, and combines with the bergamot and artemisia top to make this fragrance a masterpiece.

The base of No. 19 EDP is a combination of soft round woods and leather that never overwhelms or replaces the middle or top. It gives the fragrance great depth without being heavy.

No. 19 EDP is simultaneously vibrant, warm, and deep, and is a beautiful expression of the adage that the whole is more than the sum of its parts.