Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

djolney's avatar

L'Anarchiste by Caron

L’Anarchiste reminds me of the famous 19th century Russian Anarchist Mikhail Bakunin. Bakunin was both physically and intellectually striking, loved the good life, and was almost always busy trying to transform the world. Like Bakunin, L’Anarchiste is striking, brings the good life to mind, and never relaxes entirely.

L’Anarchiste opens with a heady mix of orange blossom, mandarin, and cedar leaves. The combination is a little bit boozy, a little bit sharp, a little bit fresh, sort of enthusiastic, and for me, at least, addictive. I thought that this accord would collapse into soft and round citrus, but it doesn’t. The cedar leaves keep this accord alive for up to ten hours on my skin, and the accord is constantly ducking and weaving to show how alive and interesting it can continue to be.

Beneath the citrus and cedar leaves an accord of elegant sandalwood and cedar wood begins to develop, culminating in a bond between the cedar leaves and cedar wood. This conjunction holds the top and middle together for the entire day, and provides a platform on which the top accord can strut its stuff.

At the base of L’Anarchiste is a combination of vetiver and musk. The vetiver is earthy without being dirty, and the musk is soft and round enough to not overwhelm the top or middle.

Unlike Third Man, L’Anarchiste is not a study in urbane sophistication. It is more forthright and practical than its stable mate, but no less pleasing or interesting.

* Months Later *

The thrill is gone.

The endless orange and mentholated cedar leaves now bore me.

I haven’t had any interest in wearing this since I purchased YSL’s Kouros.

I’ll take hyper masculine citrus, clove, and civet over odd and linear L’Anarchiste every time.

L’Anarchiste is still a well made and unusual fragrance, but be careful to think about whether you really feel like wearing it frequently before you buy the big flacon.

Rating changed from thumbs up to neutral.

27th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 02nd September, 2009)

drummerboy20's avatar

Banana Republic Classic by Banana Republic

Im a huge fan of Banana Republic! I wear the shirts. I just recently went togo smell this fragrance at a Banana Republic, origially wanting to go in and smell Banana Republic M, but sadly they didn't have it because it was discontinued...so..... they told me not to worry, because they thought they had something that is just as good.. They were right. I love this. This gets a BIG thumbs up!!!

mrclmind's avatar

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

A classic woody chypre. Bergamot top, patchouli heart and amber/moss base. It doesn't get more classic than this.
    Along with the bergamot, the top notes have a honeyed rose hue to them with a hint of lemon; in the heart, there is an ever so slight jasmine/orris accord overlaying the patchouli with a reserved vetiver/cedar accord giving it it's woody brace. The drydown does show some leather components but there is a sweet mossiness to it that doesn't take it into a pure leather accord. The whole scent has a discreet musk backdrop that adds an extra bit of understated sensuality.

A fine eau de toilette indeed! I find it to be versatile, and not at all dated.

dacerace's avatar

Mister by Jasper Conran

I have just got a bottle of this cheap.When it first goes on the skin it smells very sharp,and like a cheap bottle of EDT (you know the difference),but I am confused now,because as it's drying down,it reminds me of another scent,but I cannot place it.I gave my wrists a decent squirt,and rubbed it in,and I can smell the scent at distance.It smells sweet,a bit like liquorice,with flowery/patchouli definitely there.I really cannot make my mind up.I suggest getting a tester spray,or trying a friends first to make up your own mind.It's not altogether unpleasant,but I cannot imagine me going out for the evening wearing this.Maybe a lighter coating may be ok....???

tort2's avatar

Le Vainqueur by Rancé

I purchased Le Vainqueur based upon an article by Liz Upton (Body Odour - or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Musk; http://www.basenotes.net/articles/20080507body-odour.html). The topic regarding musks and animal scents in perfumes intrigued me.

Let me add that one of my passions is bowhunting, and to be successful, a bowhunter must not only master the bow, but learn the ways of the prey and the woods. In particular, the importance of scents and smell (I hunt for the elusive and paranoid animal known as the whitetail deer) cannot be underestimated. If bodily scents from unspeakable glands in animals can turn wary bucks into impertinent, lust filled maggots, what effect would it have on urbane riff raff such as yours truly?

Knowing as I do the nature and importance of scents with wild animals, and not having the opportunity to purchase Luten's MKK, (fly to Paris to buy a perfume? Ain't going to happen). I ordered the next best thing. Le Vainqueur.

First time I smelled it, I was reminded of some obscure woman's perfume my aunt used back in the 60's. Not having a sophisticated nose, I was unable to discern all the notes that reminded me of that perfume (Guerlein, perhaps). I will take them (the creator of said product) at their word that the top notes contain the elements stated on their website.

What I can say is that Le Vainqueur is a warm fragrance. There is something soothing, oily, and definitely dark about it. Dark, yet not without hope. The darkness I speak of is that we encounter while doing something unpleasant; it will hurt possibly and is distasteful, but it will soon come to an end. This is not a fragrance one wears in order to feel refreshed and willing to do something important like the week's laundry. In my humble opinion, this fragrance is what I would wear if I were ever to declare a state of war or amend my will.

Being EDP strength, the longevity is simply ludicrous. A light spray on my chest and inner elbows last for more than 12 hours. And I have relatively dry skin. At work, all my female co-workers respond in a visceral and sensual manner towards me. I do not receive the typical "That smells so clean/nice/sweet" response. Rather, they stand closer and sniff discretely to discern what is it that puzzles them.

I have worn it half a dozen times at work and at play, and the response from women is astounding. Perhaps its the mid notes. After the initial lavender/citrus notes end, the essence of musk/slightly sweaty genitalia takes over. I wish I could be less crude, but to my nose, the unmistakable essence of testosterone mixed with male lubrication is never far from the surface. It threatens to overwhelm the lavender based notes, but retreats at the last moment. But not before those nearby detect the unmistakable sex notes.

In short, this is a complex and intriguing scent. It is not a citrus or earth based fragrance, yet, like the deer in heat lures I use during hunting season, this fragrance does have an unmistakable effect on females (at least those I come into contact with). A wonderful find.

++++'s avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Fahrenheit, quite an interesting title, what is Christian Dior trying to provoke?

Fire and brimstone? The sweltering sexuality of the wearer? The pretentious friction induced Heat generated between wearer and his Mark?

Seasoned marketers would be onto their second round at some swanky bar after reading this definition, saluting to a job well done ..None of them however would be wearing this scent.

The initial blast unfortunately reminded me walking through a gaggle of mechanics, 4 hours into their work day..towards the office where I will be inevitably charged far more than I anticipated.

After the intense black smells of motor oil and pneumatic drill lubricant or whatever instrument they use to cause holes in my $600 exhaust pipe reside, you find yourself sitting in some kind of oversensitive purgatory.

A purgatory embodied by the office itself. The freshener on the wall set to release its pre-timed overcompensating spicy-sweet humanitarian aid on the doomed receptionist. Yet the door still swings open sending an occasional reminder of the mechanical workplace outside..

After 30 minutes floating, wondering more or less what the price tag will be..You get called to the counter snapping you back to reality..

You reluctantly pay your bill, paying more attention to your exit strategy than questioning the replacement of your brake fluid reservoir. Get handed your keys and sprint to your car.

Reversing quickly you breathe in and raise an eyebrow..You notice they have put some kind of gentle chili and cinnamon air freshener dangling from your rear view mirror..This is daringly left on because you signed a petition recently supporting the criminalization of littering our streets, and turns out, you were charged for it anyway.

On the long drive back you do get a chance to catch a glimpse of the bill. The price tag leaves you wondering if one of life's most unenvied errands can be possibly avoided altogether.

Fortunately Fahrenheit is...ooo...

Ma Griffe by Carven

This scent conjures up vivid memories of my grandparents beach house, so how could I not like it? Delightful childhood summer memories aside, though, it's a bit too powdery on me. Obviously, this is a summer scent for me, but a spritz in the air can evoke warm weather even when it's cold out.

No. 19 by Chanel

One of my all-time favorites. Chanel 19 is one of those rare perfumes that really synthesizes so beautifully that it's difficult to dissect. On me, it's all-at-once fresh, floral & woodsy & has wonderful staying power. Fortunately, I don't get the powdery, aldehyde rush that some others seem to experience. A sophisticated classic that's nearly always appropriate (hot summer days being the exception for me).

Magie Noire by Lancôme

Woodsy, bittersweet & not at all safe or wishy-washy. A scent for evenings only... at least for me, and the name suggests that it's not intended as an 'office' fragrance. Although it's definitely spicy, I'm not sure about the oriental category... it's certainly not heavy & sweet like Opium or Coco.

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

I got a sample of this late last year, & didn't much care for it. I recently rediscovered the sample & tried it again, with no high expectations, but was very pleasantly surprised. I think this may need warm weather to 'work' on me... I like it so much more now than I did half a year ago. The initial impression is a tad fruity for my tastes, but it morphs rather quickly to something warmer & more interesting than that peach salute. And it lasts, drying down to a very pleasant scent... some other reviewers have described it as 'creamy' & that fits with my experience. It's a bit too soon for me to predict whether this will become a tried-and-true staple, but I do expect to enjoy its charms at least until the weather gets cooler.

Grahame's avatar

Jicky by Guerlain

Jicky is an artisan fragrance, unlike modern day fragrances, it gives me a warm glow and a feeling of wellbeing, and I always feel more confident when I wear it. It has great warmth and depth, there is also something grand and opulent about it. I agree with mrclmind it must NEVER be discontinued.

Oslo-Fjord's avatar

Norway Norway

Touch for Men by Burberry

This is one of my favorits. Uniqe, masculine and beautiful caracter..Lots of complments when wearing it, and perfect for a night out on the town! A high-class fragrance from Burberry. One of a kind!

Oslo-Fjord's avatar

Norway Norway

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

The girl in the parfume shop gave me a test-bottle of this last saturday.. I sprayed it on, and it was fantastic! I coud`nt get it out of my mind, so i know i just had to by it. It is amazing, and smells like nothing i smelled before.
    It has a uniqe caracter, and it`s very soft,elegant and smooth. The bottle is one of the coolest i have ever seen! So strong and masculine. I think this will be my new signatur-scent, together whit Burberry Touch..
    Congratulatjon Mr Olivier Polge! You`ve did it again! You`re one of the best.

's avatar

New York by Nicolaï

This scent seems based on reflection. Many people have completed me on the pleasantness of it. It works for many, who may be unconsciously gratefully you wore it, but not for me. That doesn't strike down it's technical merits though.

The opening is sharp, I was immediately concerned this was going to go the way of a standard department store frag. Indeed if I would have whiffed this at Dillards I would have been instantly turned off.

It quickly cools down to a warm sweet woods. It's classy and non-synthetic, a bit of powdery throwback to yester-era. There is a bit of spice but not enough to declare it an important note. That sweetness though...that's the reflection. For me it's the whiff of something amiss in Mexico. Spilled sugar on a dirty floor. It's a bit cloying. Some childhood neighborhoods smell like that though; a tinge of sweetness in the air when the wind first shifts in the fall and you aren't accustomed to it. You noticed it and forgot about it until now.

Not for me, but plenty good for others. Worth a sample, you may just fall in love.

Ma Griffe by Carven

This one took a little while to grow on me. At first sniff, I thought it smelled like some cheap hairspray I used to use in high school. Somewhere on the 4th or 5th wearing, though . . . WOW!

I purchased a small decant just to try but I think I'll be getting a full bottle soon. Very green and fresh on me, with good persistance. A nice change of pace from the fruity florals that seem to dominate my workplace. So old it smells new again.

Babe by Fabergé

Reminds me of my older sister and my sophisticated aunt. They both wore this one in the late 70's/early 80's. It was a clean, musky, sexy scent, very much of its time and place. Not sure I would enjoy this one now but as a kid, I loved it.

Royal Secret by Royal Secret

I am surprised there are not more reviews of this fragrance. It is a lovely, classic oriental and very reasonably priced. I ordered this one un-sniffed, based on the notes and fragrance classification, and I'm so glad I did. Warm, spicy, not too sharp-smelling or overpowering. Perfectly suitable for daytime and office wear. My husband says it smells slightly incensey on me, must be the myrrh! Good, safe oriental scent.

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

I found old classics agree with me these days better than many new scents. I bought a mini of this one with high hopes, and I'm still not sure what to make of it yet. I really like the dry-down's animalic notes. Not nuts at this point about the flowery opening, which smells like little old ladies to me. It might grow on me. I think it's worth a few more wearings to decide.

Sublime by Jean Patou

I love the sweet, incensey dry-down on this. Too bad the top notes have a touch of something that smells like sharp cat urine on me, ugh. Beautiful after the first 15 minutes or so, with good sillage and persistance.

Molinard de Molinard by Molinard

A true classic! Soap meets flowers meets a peppery wood. Good sillage and the scent lasts and lasts. A little dab'll do ya. For classy dames (of all ages and genders) only!

Costes by Hôtel Costes

I loved this when I sniffed the bottle at Aedes. When I finally got around to purchasing some, I find I'm not nuts about it. It's a well-crafted scent and probably lovely on the right person. On me, it smells rather like Neutrogena bar soap, which is not a bad smell but not worth the price of a bottle of Costes. Kind of clean and mediciney. Not awful but not something I'll buy again.

With Love... Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff

I guess I'm out of the target market for this, being in my late 30's. I was surprised to find that I do like it. It is an unexpectedly sophsticated amber scent with just a hint of sweet. The EdP doesn't have a lot of staying power, but it's not such a loud scent that you can't reapply it later in the day. Another good one for daytime/office wear.

Citrus Verbena Intensa by L'Occitane

Nothing says summer quite like a good citrus. This was my daytime/office scent for Summer 2008, and the small bottle I purchased is almost used up, ready to make space for something heavier and more suitable for autumn and winter.

A beautiful, clean, lemony-green scent. More sophisticated than Love's Lemon Fresh, but essentially a linear lemon. Not at all sweet or candy-like. Wish it had better staying power on me. On the other hand, I could dowse myself in it head-to-toe knowing it wasn't going to offend anybody. It was a perfect summer scent that I will likely revisit when the weather turns warm next year.

The Privy Man's avatar

Old Spice Musk for Men by Shulton

This really is an intoxicating scent for an inexpensive "drug store" brand. I got a bottle of this as a gift some time during the 1980's and, for some reason, wasn't impressed. About ten years later, I found the bottle in one of my drawers and tried it for the second time. I immediately fell in love with it, and got compliments from women every time I wore it. Unfortunately, I soon found out that the fragrance had been discontinued and, once the bottle ran out, I accepted the fact that I would never find it again and moved on. About two years ago, while browsing the web, I came across an online store that sold Indian products. I was surprised to find not only Old Spice Musk, but also Old Spice Fresh Lime which had also been discontinued in the US. These products are still produced in India under the original Shulton brand, although Proctor and Gamble does own the trademarks. I ordered a bottle of each, and found that they smelled exactly as I remembered them.

If I had to describe Old Spice Musk, I'd say that it was a muted Old Spice with a predominant musk character . It is definitely spicy, and slightly on the sweet side, but not at all overbearing. Overall, a very pleasant and masculine musk fragrance with good lasting power.

ortho123's avatar

Givenchy pour Homme Blue Label by Givenchy

Bumping into this one all over NY, in elevators, malls and at parties made me do a complete 180.

I actually prefer Brut, Old Spice and Gilette Cool Wave to this one these days.

27th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 08th October, 2011)

Almaktoub by Madini

Third vote for Drakkar Noir here. I’m not a fan of Drakkor, but I recognize the similarity, and I could actually learn to like THIS version if I devoted tons of effort to it. Somehow, the most annoying parts of Drakkor Noir to me (lavender and moss) have been removed, and I find an very good citrus / conifer / sage / amber fragrance that only hints at my usual annoyance: That hint is enough to keep me from purchasing this, but I’m here to say that Madini’s Almaktomb is THE ultimate, THE good version of Drakkor, if it were only possible to have a good version…

Ambre by Madini

Beautiful: An unembelished, straightforward, warm amber that shows that amber CAN stand on its own. This one seems undistilled, unpurified, unpasturized, unprocessed: The “rawness” and “impurities” provide such depth and breadth to the natural amber ambiance, that I can easily see it as a whole fragrance. I see this as a winter fragrance that is more casual that my favorite formal amber – Ambre Precieux. Madini’s Ambre is sweet but not cloying. It’s exotic and natural at the same time, and I find it a comfortable wear.

Black Musk by Madini

The scent, as well as the color of the oil, is deep, black, and rich. Black Musk is, of course, very musky and there’s a distant element of a dark, sweet, fruity aroma to it. For the first half hour to hour, I’m afraid it is almost a cliché… It’s like the backgrounds of myriads of personal products I’ve used for many years so I view it sort of like air – it is an enjoyable scent but it seems like background to me, like something is missing. With the arrival of the middle level, the scent gains more character: I agree with simonrishel that there is a plumy sweetness and tamarind sparkle to the middle level notes – and with this it becomes a more compelling fragrance. With the base, the fragrance broadens out to add a tiny bit of wood, I believe, to make a totally desirable skin scent. I love the long lasting, refined and subtle base.

Chamomile by Madini

This is an interesting interpretation of chamomile – it doesn’t smell like the chamomile flower or leaf or chamomile tea, but it does suggest chamomile. It has a bit of complexity… more like a genuine fragrance than a Demeter. It is quite floral – white floral, I think, but it probably has a little green in the mix because it has a sharper presence than the typical basic white floral. After a while, the suggestion of a chamomile note disappears and all that’s left is a very light generic musky floral / green. If it had managed to retain that diminutive suggestion of chamomile, it would have been a much better fragrance.

Citron by Madini

I am having a devil of a time trying to remember where I smelled this before - or something like it: It’s very familiar and I think it smells like some kind of household cleaning product. It doesn’t smell exactly like citron or lime – I am very familiar with those smells and this ain’t them. Madini’s Citron does have a sort of limey / citron smell to it but, especially at first, it has a strong, bitter, medicinal, synthetic "undertow" to it… it’s there under the surface, and, like an undertow, there’s the distinct message of “This is something it’s best to steer clear of.”