Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Hanane by Madini

Purplebird7 describes it perfectly. The galbanum seems to immediately take over lending a deep, dry, rich woody green accord that reminds me of some of the green heavy hitters of MPG and Diptyque, but much more wearable, loveable, and sniffable. It’s an admirable accord, at once darkly heavy and richly intriguing. The accords are resinously green / woody and the notes are essentially unidentifiable to my nose as individual notes (except for the galbanum), but they surely deliver in the form of a complex, refined whole… Hanane dries down to an excellent combined wood accord and it exhibits great longevity. This fragrance set a near record in making it into my fragrance collection. Love it!

Henna by Madini

Henna is a beautiful floral, it’s a bit exotic, it’s very feminine, and it’s totally unique. It’s not at all what I was expecting, which was the beautiful smell of the decorative henna hand “tattoos.” This henna is the henna flower – sweet, full, intriguing and reminding me a bit of nag champa, just as purplebird7 says. As full, rich, and floral as it is, it is a remarkably clean scent – an inner cleanliness whose quiet innocence belies its florid richness. This is one of the most excellent solofloral I’ve experienced in a long, long time: It is a must try for the floral lover.

Maderas de Oriente by Madini

I’ve not experienced many fragrances as dry and stark and strong as this one. I never do catch the florals that are supposed to be included. The only other super dry fragrance that comes to mind is Diptyques’s L’Eau Trois and that one’s dryness is accomplished through herbals rather than through woods: I think this one works better. I find the first hour or two wearing this a bit challenging; the next several hours provide a dry scent whose sensuality keeps my nose glued to my wrist. Maderas de Oriente turns out to be very wearable and endearing. It is an excellent, unique, and intriguing fragrance

Myrrh by Madini

Aromatic, resinous, err… sinus clearing: the opening is highly resinous and aromatic. It smells like a somewhat contaminated eucalyptus note. It holds this potent aromatic presence for an hour or more, gradually changing to a reduced aromaticism, slightly bitter, softly incense skin scent that, unfortunately, seems to have little longevity. This final note is the myrrh that I know and love, but it needs to be much stronger and to last longer. It’s an interesting fragrance, but I see it as essentially unwearable. It’s too strong and characterless for the first hour or two and then when it finally settles down to a pleasant note, it is too weak and short lasting.

Nardo by Madini

In Mexico I lived in Colonia Jardin on Calle Nardo. I enjoyed walking down this street because many of the residences on the street boasted tuberose plantings, and the wonderful scent was pervasive. I don’t get the same olfactory experience from this fragrance: I get a strongly aromatic element like a thin, uninteresting, somewhat synthetic eucalyptus, but it is so potent it overwhelms the tuberose note that skulks in the background. That diminutive tuberose note is more green than floral to my nose, and once it surfaces, it has quite good longevity on my skin. This could very well be a skin issue with me, but I’m not very impressed. I did find that is not a scent that takes kindly to over application.

Olive Flowers by Madini

From the first whiff I get the resinous base. I find it disagreeable, just as I find Shalimar disagreeable, and I believe it’s because of a leather note. Leather in a fragrance and I usually don’t get along.

Omar by Madini

Omar opens with a very nicely made bergamot, lavender, and geranium accord. I didn’t care for that particular accord at first, but it has grown on me to the point where I enjoy it: It’s well made and comfortable and masculine. The opening and the rest of the fragrance is basically the traditional masculine barber shop fragrance. It is not at all original, but it presents a competent version of an esteemed classic type. A very good masculine fragrance.

Patchouli by Madini

This is a rough, intense version of patchouli. It broods and simmers in dark earthiness. I don’t detect a trace of sweetness – it is close to pure patchouli as far as I can tell. Frankly, I don’t know why anyone would want to wear this. It is brutal and controlling with its sharp acrid feel and with its uncompromising linearity. I kind of admire its audacity, and I guess this might be appreciated by a true patchouli lover, because it is formidable. But it’s too potent for me.

Sahara by Madini

Very nice… The citron is rather light, but I immediately get a full load of amber, florals, and myrrh – it’s a warm, classic accord that is impressive in its balance and refinement. It’s more dry than sweet; and it is quite smooth. This opening is an elegant and satisfying accord, and it has superb longevity. (These oils act much more slowly than the alcohol based scents do, and I have to adjust my time values to the new circumstance.) The next note that strikes me is a floral / green note: a strong note that pierces right through the original floral, amber, and myrrh to form a heart accord with the dominant notes of the beginning. Again, it is classic, smooth, and luscious. Although I recognize it as white floral, I don’t get any indole action from it. The drydown is a classically sweet amber and wood. It hugs the skin, and feeds the love. As far as masculine / feminine is concerned. I find the opening quite masculine (I don’t get much powder or indole action). The rest of the fragrance I would place slightly on the yin side of the yin-yang. Regardless, it’s an excellent fragrance, and I am enjoying my bottle.

Saida by Madini

Bright, sparkling, aromatic, intense green – not grassy, not minty, not herbal, but a mixture of the three: It’s quite a refreshing, masculine opening, and it’s so well balanced and refined – I love it. The opening is potent, but within minutes the fragrance settles down to an excellent green skin scent. Again, the tenor of the accord is balanced and refined among the greens and green herbs, but the impact has now become subtle instead of startling. This middle accord is also the drydown and it stresses the longevity that seems so prevalent in most of Madini’s oil fragrances.

This is the easiest to wear green fragrance I’ve found. It is initially vibrant but quickly morphs into a subtle, soft, balanced, refined, masculine skin scent with incredible longevity. I love this one.

Santal Blanc by Madini

I like the simplicity of it – I’m not sure that I care for the aroma that the fragrance emits. I don’t mind the bare raw wood aspect of Santal Blanc, although it's not as compelling as I typically find sandalwood. But there’s a note in the background that doesn’t seem very attractive to me – that disagreeable note really smells more like paint thinner than like wood. I’ve never smelled sandalwood being cut with a saw, but this fragrance isn’t as pleasant as the fresh cut aromas other hardwoods like maple, oak, or ash. There is a much more resinous – burnt even – ambiance to this sandalwood. I couldn’t envision myself wearing this for pleasure… or for any other purpose for that matter. It eventually settles down to the drydown of raw wood that Taolady mentions. I have no objections to the drydown, but it is not very interesting to me and it's actually a bit boring.

Sun by Madini

This is a bright and lively scent that does a better job of the citrus / lavender / rosemary combination than many of the designer fragrances. I’m not a fan of that accord in general: The way the combination is presented in Sun still doesn’t provide any thrills for me… but the accord is quite okay even though I would say that there is still too much lavender. I like Sun better when the sandalwood (?) shows up, but there is still some of the lavender note remaining to keep its action going well into the dry down. Hours later, what remains seems like a close-to-the-skin raw sandalwood and a smooth, balancing green... and that, too, lasts for hours. Sun presents a well-made refined use of lavender, rosemary, and sandalwood, and it could easily be identified as a lavender fragrance. It has incredible longevity and it’s a very good option for the lavender lover.

lefay's avatar

Soir d'Orient by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I got a sample of this about a year ago, just revisited it, and fell in love. The oud is up front, rising from the skin like a bitter, smoky drug. Amber and leather quickly emerge, and then the notes melt together into a mysterious, narcotic vapor. There is an underlying but understated sweetness that may be vanilla, or just further development of the amber. Although it bears a passing resemblance to other ambery scents, this one stands out as deeper, more sophisicated, and in the end just lovelier. I began a mad search for it online, only to discover that it was a limited-edition fragrance that has been discontinued. How I wish I'd bought a bottle (or three) when I had the chance! I always seem to fall for the unattainable ones. How sad to discover my HG scent after it has vanished from the earth.

Renato's avatar

Black Marlin by Nautilus

From their website, it's meant to be a marine scent.
    But to my nose, I have difficulty thinking of it as a marine scent, since it strongly reminds me of a rich apple version of A*men. It's plainly an oriental, and I find it more wearable than A*men, and it has excellent lasting power.

Renato

Duncan's avatar

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

A very warm, edible comforting scent, I received a small sample bottle through a trade. One of my daughters applied the whole bottle to my carpet so I can't test it with a full application. The licorice and anise notes are particularly noticeable and complement each other very well.

Aiona's avatar

Arôme 3 by D'Orsay

This is so not a cool aquatic. It's got a sharp Vitalis-like opening, much like Etiquette Bleue (also by D'Orsay). Unlike Etiquette Bleue, it has a fruity kind of heart. Like Etiquette Bleue (and Penhaligon's English Fern, for comparison), it has a soapy, lavender drydown. It's easy to smell the lavender, even to my simpleton nose. It would smell nice on a guy, but it smells even nicer on me! English Fern has larger sillage, though. And as for longevity, after 12 hours it was pretty much gone without a trace.

BlackAmberMoon's avatar

Rapture by Victoria's Secret

I detest this stuff. A guy I dated a few years ago thought Rapture was incredibly sexy, but I just felt like a cheap tramp wearing it. I enjoy strong orientals, but this is something else altogether...loud and shrill...not my style!

tuomas's avatar

Finland Finland

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

Not bad by any means. To my nose is an extremely sugary, powdery, candy-like long lasting fragrance. If I was in my early twenties, this could be my thing. However, not a corporate scent by any means. I was positively surprised.

odysseusm's avatar

Incanto pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

Top: Sicilian bigarade, artemesia, bamboo leaves
    Mid: Tuscan cypress, atlas cedar, bourbon geranium
    Base: Indian vetiver, white musk, Indonesian sandalwood (from SF website)
    Incanto pour Homme is a competent scent, not wildly exciting. It is a fresh, light wood: airy and simple in style. It is not spicy, sweet, or heavy. Thankfully it achieves its fresh aspect in a natural-smelling manner, without the irritating synthetic aspect one often finds in such scents. The opening has some good orange and dusky-green notes (the latter from the artemesia). The cypress could be more exciting and distinctive. The vetiver and sandalwood are quite mild. This won’t turn heads, but it is pleasant.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

READ ME!!!

I used my sample today. I acquired the sample because I liked how Boucheron smelled. However, actually wearing Boucheron was headache inducing.

This would yield a negative review but for one fact. On this ONE day that I tried Boucheron I recieved 2 seperate compliments on the fragrace.

So I upgrade the review to neutral and encourage all people to try this one. If your head can tolerate the smell, you may have found a winner.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

This here is a damn fine fragrace. It's a "fresh and sporty" that easily out performs most of the competition. I grabbed up a bunch of samples from Nordies and have enjoyed all of them. I'm still up in the air about a bottle purchase because I have way too many of this type and I don't know if I can justify another. It's a shame though, because, thus far to my nose, this is second to Gio, and nowhere near as played out.

Midnight_lulu's avatar

Violetta di Parma by Borsari

Perhaps “violet” is often denoted as the scent of fairies, unicorns and other magical critters of nature, as a result of its ability to elusively avoid being continuously registered by cilia---i.e. “now you smell it, now you don’t”. Upon first sniff, “Violetta de Parma”, a blend of violet and iris essences, seems deceptively simple and lovely; so much so, that the velvety, complex development that follows, could nearly shock a wearer with the surprise it inspires. “What is this stuff?” you’ll wonder. “Violetta de Parma” opens with a soft, clear sweetness made more vivid with the crisp tartness that follows; beautiful, if not modern, but unlikely to be placed as a scent that began development in 1815. It feels fresh, avant garde in its simplicity, like something yet to be released. The violet is not candied and while there is a slight powdery kick upon opening, it's not dry. It will feel distinctly floral, but not remotely cloying or particularly definable as a blend. There is a brisk earthiness to it, like that of clean clothes that have hung to dry in the wind. As it dries down, you’ll smell a salty/sweet mineral kick of iris. It will smell, in paradox, delicately clean but “worn in”---sensual. Most fragrances conjure up specific places, times, characters or experiences; there is a place to hang most fragrance memories. “Violetta de Parma”, however, is the strange stuff of dreams; a scent that has no home. Once you’re certain that you’ve placed it, another possibility presents itself and “VdeP” seems to fit that scenario, as well. From infancy to old, old age…hyper-femininity to virile masculinity…soft, then almost violent in its audacity…a mother’s hug, a lover’s breath…dawn, dusk, midnight…oceans, desert dunes…classically French or Italian…but, then, where doesn’t a violet grow? Couldn’t Moroccan candies also smell like this? “VdeP” is exceptional for what it does achieve in “not really getting anywhere”: It is indefinable. Why wouldn’t fairies choose to smell like this?

Madamemagenta's avatar

Ex'cla.ma'tion by Coty

I love the packaging...and that's it. I want to like a fragrance that has sage in it, but this is so forced, so pushy. Fragrance equivalent to taking a razor to your speakers and cranking the volume. Reminds me of 7" hairsprayed bangs and Swatch watches en masse. This is not a part of the eighties I want to remember.

Must de Cartier pour Homme by Cartier

First spritz of Must de Cartier and the image that comes to mind is how soft and powdery it is...like a soft cloud of spice, the intial blast of citrus and Anise with "sweet and sour" notes of orange is softened by spicy notes of Cinnamon with the gentle bite of ginger. Cinnamon barks holds the rein quite well along with earthy, woody midnotes which gives off a feel of being a spicy, oriental, gourmand type of scent. The beauty of this entire progression is that, the top-mid notes is covered by a cloud of Tonka bean which gives this wonderful scent the feel of warmed up spicy sweet, powdery Vanilla. Such is the quality of this note that it enveloped me in a warm, powdery, spicy glow which strays sometimes in the gourmand zone.

This is a very classy scent for formal settings and is thoroughly enjoyable on an evening out...it stays as mentioned above for 4 hours easy thereby subsiding to a moderately close to skin scent with vanillic (tonka bean) and woody notes.

I have read that this doenst have staying power...i have to respectively disagree...this has a very mysterious sillage. one of the best that i have come across. many scents die out on me..but this, i could smell even after 10+ hours of application..this one is for someone who is looking for a well rounded, carefully blended, Spicy Oriental Gourmand with citrus topnotes, mid notes comprising of soft spices on a earthy, woody, vanillic base.

28 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 29 August, 2008)

Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Noir Epices: huh!? plastic? even Comme des Garcons do bearable plastic notes...i didnt get this one a bit..the intial hour is synthetic plastic notes...settling down to mildly powdery spicy notes which reminded me of CDG2. i think ill need some time on this one considering many adore this scent.

Noir Epices is composed by the great Michel Roudnistka and the notes listed are "nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and pepper, Michel Roudnitska's scent is topped with orange and geranium and backed by precious woods, including sandalwood and patchouli. A woody oriental, a near chypré, its sensuality is elegant, never lascivious."

i give it a neutral only coz i think i need to give it more time..especially since my peers here on BN think its a great scent..but, if you ask me now..i'd give it two thumbs down.

Geir by Geir Ness

Geir is one sexy b****. it has one of the "coolest" opening to mid notes. Smells so "powdery fresh in a very old spice way"(strangely it reminded me of Creed's Himalaya too)...its the kind where you step in a party at your freinds place..and they'd be charmed!..You enter a car and the whole car lights up with it's freshness... you go for a date and the her eyes work like hands on ya!!! Lovely stuff! Spritz away!! it smells of youth, luxury and playful attitude.

The opening to mid notes remind me of a powdery version of Old Spice/Himalaya way..cool moutain breeze which carry mild woody notes with the hint of pepper and lavender, the scent on whole has a very talcum powder kind od powdery effect and at the same time one could feel the wet natuire of this scent..somewhere between the midnotes-basenotes this scent morphs into another character altogether..something like gunpowder/steel/metallic accord on a base of somethin which smells very close to Boss selections. i would buy this over and over for it's there to please. two thumbs up!

28 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 29 August, 2008)

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Vetiver Extraordinare: ....close your eyes and VE does give an impression of moss and vetivers growing on the area of application, quite literally. smells very real and true. However, it smells very similar to Encre Noir (EN, please see my views on EN below). Im not indicating EN is Better than VE, what i'm indicating though is, i dont have the money for VE($210). both scents have enuff difference to stay in the same wardrobe...where EN may smell of Wood, Spices & Vetivers; VE smells of the very same vetivers used in EN + moss and damp forest smell. if you like EN, there is no way one is going to despise this one. nicely done.

Composed by the great Dominique Ropion and he quotes "a new essence of Vetiver, stripped of its bitter edge, which he matches with five woody notes to play up the scent's various facets. The result is something surprisingly fresh and crisp."

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

French Lover: wow! wOW!! WOW!!! if i'd been a girl i'd be doing a Marlyn Monroe legendary pose right now! yes! im that happy! "crisp" clean spices right out of the spritzer with sparkling citrus elements, a scent with such amazing tranparency & shimmering quality that would bring on a smile, ear to ear. The color that comes to mind in Green, that of a newly sprouted leaf on a tree against the morning sun with the dew drops still on...it smells that pure and radiant..the way spices has been treated on this one has to put a lot of releases to shame. half an hour into the scent and the incense notes which form the heart of this gem, embraces the top notes into its fold with the gentlest touch of woody notes, the base seems to be a very tradional vetiver with animalic notes...overall, if one appreciates scents like Floris Santal, and find peace in Vetiver based scents, then, this is none of them in terms of notes but the overall effect of it is sure to please lovers of the said. Clear Fresh Green notes with Clear, shimmering quality with an amazing heart of incense on a base of musk and vetiver is how i would like to summarise it, imho...Sillage of this one is an experience in itself. it stays close to skin overall if sprayed 2-3 times but, 6-8 sprays should set it right and make you feel good about the money well spent. Composed by the great Pierre Bourdon

SirSlarty's avatar

Carven Homme (original) by Carven

Well blended mix of spicy notes, vanilla, lavender and an obvious tonka bean note. Classy and not too loud to pretend to be an "old" scent. Reminded me of a combination of Nemo without the smokiness and Caron pour un Homme without the huge lavender note. Very good stuff!

SirSlarty's avatar

Iris Poudre by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

The name says it all: a powdery iris. But it's not a huge powderiness, it's quite soft. And I have trouble with iris notes. They usually come off too 'cosmetic' as in 'the waxy overtones of the smell of lipstick'. I disliked the iris in Dior Homme but I can appreciate it here. Turns a little fruity towards the end which is probably what softens the iris and powders up to a gentle hum of a fragrance.