Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Cologne Blanche by Christian Dior

Smells like powdery vanilla and almonds.

Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior

This weird concoction smells like my mother's spice drawer: cinnamon, nutmeg, oregano, paprika, basil, aniseed and brunt sugar. Imagine what a bakery would smell like if it caught fire. I'm not fond of this.

Emporio Armani City Glam for Him by Giorgio Armani

Utterly pretentious cologne that has tog o home to mommy before midnight lest it turn into a pumpkin.

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Wasn't expecting tuberose. Also wasn't expecting a good tuberose. Man I wish some ylang-ylang was in this (maybe there is!). I swear it would level the playing field for a truly floral bouquet for men. Excellent.

Musk to Musk by Montale

What's really odd about this fragrance is that it's a few letters off from what I smell, dust. It smells musty (not musky) and dusty. Like that "dust on a lightbulb" note listed for CdG's Odeur 71 coupled with a old moldy basement.

Halston Z-14 by Halston

I wore this fairly recently, received several female compliments as they say and even wore it with a light one shot application on a hot day to the beach where it held up with a kind of spicy, lotion effect (before the sunscreen).

I do pick up the slightly sleazy (dandyistic?) vibe of this cologne with a lot of included notes. Is it a kind of cologne for the undecided who want a masculine scent? I had said this in my original review and now repent.

Yes, it makes me remember the old Ted Lapidus (red plasic/ amber bottle) yes, a stronger more linear scent in the drydown. And yes, to the choir of comparisons to Santos I add fleeting moments of Eau Savage (when the dirty citrus thing is happening near the opening) and I say with an even more emphatic thumbs up that this stuff is great.

28th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 01st July, 2009)

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

With more than one spray, yes 1, this classic yields not only one of the most over the top openings but a cologne with a drydown that is for me a nauseating, depressing meltdown. Blame it on the rosemary? Remorse following pleasure seeking? This cologne easily boasts before the fact.

Sure, like so many other men, I have worn this cologne and felt "great" at certain points while wearing it, but the overall sensation was not that pleasing.

Trying it again just the other day with my lady at my side, I realized that while I could like it, even wear it again, it would require a one spray proviso and even then, in the back of my mind that sense that maybe things would turn bad.

Believe me, I "get it" when it comes to this classic and I have puchased it more than once, even in recent years, a kind of default purchase each time. But the last time I owned it, I thought maybe I had left it in my car too long in the heat or maybe the store was selling old stock.

darien's avatar

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Oh dear. Guerlain has fallen so far from greatness with this 'new' scent. To my nose it smells incredibly bland, generic, safe - totally opposite to their classic fragrances which even today smell so alive, distinctive and complex.

I guess they have just bowed to commercial pressure and gone for a safe option that your average/typical department store shopper might stumble on and think was 'nice'. A shame since a house like Hermes could come out with a brand new fragrance (Terre de Hermes) that was so radical, exciting and different to anything else out there yet retain that special, unique Hermes note of quality.

Go for the classic Guerlains. This one's a dud.

Bigsly's avatar

Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge by Jacomo

This one is a fragrance aficionado's lesson all by itself. This was one of the first fragrances I bought for my growing hobby. I tried to get several that were different. At first I really liked the top notes, but then could hardly smell anything. As my sense of smell became more refined, I found the middle/base notes to be a bit synthetic or just strange in some incomprehensible way. Then, a couple of months after not wearing it, I tried it again and the incense mix was obvious to me and very pleasant. I try to avoid the top notes of this fragrance to avoid having my sense of smell calibrated to them, which may be why some have said that this is all top notes and nothing else. For the price, it's an incredible bargain. I enjoy it much more than any of the super-expensive incense fragrances I've sampled. It may not be for the "newbie," however, unless he is willing to have patience with it, as his sense of smell becomes more refined.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Coco by Chanel

I've had a small bottle of Coco in my collection for a years and I've just decided to try it. I've held off all this time because I assumed I wouldn't like it because of the aldehydes (the main reason I'm not a Chanel fan). It started out smelling a little too perfume-y or what you would expect a good perfume to smell like. It smells very nice and well made, but there was nothing really exceptional about it that set it apart from, and above all others for me. I was patient enough to let it play out, but as I smelled my wrists over the next couple of hours my opinion of it didn't change. I liked the things that were happining in the drydown ,and I can see why it was popular in the eighties and why so many people still like it, but I prefer scents that are a little more quirky, challenging and thought provoking. I don't know, maybe it was groundbreaking in the eighties, but it's much to "proper" now.

djolney's avatar

Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

YSL Jazz is neither sophisticated enough to remind one of the most intricate jazz melodies and harmonies, nor dirty enough to capture the intense emotions of great jazz performers.

YSL Jazz is impeccably made, but is too reserved and restrained to warrant more than passing attention. The bergamot and lavender are pretty, but do not sparkle; the heart is balanced, but is not intriguing; and the base does nothing to drive the fragrance onto greater heights or depths.

If you want the intense emotions and intricate melodies and harmonies of great jazz seek out Caron Third Man: it is everything that YSL Jazz does not manage to be

Mark67's avatar

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

There is a pleasantly spicy, almost medical herb feel to the start, from which a wonderful rendition of the titular pepper emerges and dominates for a few minutes. The drydown is warm amber/incense that retains a hint of the pepper. There is an old-school feel to the composition. For my taste, this amber-y base is too sweet and creamy. However, it is a well-made scent some might find it very enjoyable.

Mark67's avatar

Eternal Return by CB I Hate Perfume

There are some decent notes that immediately get overwhelmed quickly by a "dish soap" smell. Didn't care for this one at all.

28th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 04th September, 2008)

Landrik's avatar

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

with Bergamot, a touch of Cocoa, little bit of Vetiver and a dash of Szechuan pepper, Emporio Armani Diamonds for men was just made for me!

vintage*red's avatar

Tatiana by Diane Von Furstenberg

What happened to the wonderful, wistful white floral that had great sillage and staying power while remaining transparent and soft? Diane Von Furstenberg thought enough of this one to name it after her daughter! I can only guess that it suffered when it was sold for mass marketing. I do know that she tried to buy back the fragrance line because of what had been done to it! For those who never had an opportunity to try this back in the 70's, I am truly sorry. It was a triumph. I give the old one five stars. I would not give two cents for the new one.

vintage*red's avatar

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

Tresor is one of the only rose based fragrances that I like, although I have not tried Nahema yet. It is a little "victorian" in nature (what else could a true rose fragrance be?), but it is not old fashioned in any way. I compliment people when they wear this and people compliment me when I wear this. So why don't I buy another bottle to keep around? I guess the reason is that I just don't LOVE it. It doesn't inspire me in any way. It lacks the brightness of No 5, the almost Gothic moodiness of L'Heure Bleue or the sheer joy of Insolence. But it really is a very nice rose scent...if you like that sort of thing.

mrclmind's avatar

Lalique pour Homme by Lalique

I used to wear this a lot. It is obviously well blended and the fragrance materials within it are very good. I just stopped liking it after a while. After a while it was as if I was wearing a big giant vanilla/sandalwood tart on my chest. It has a definite warmth to it and for what it is it is very good, but I just couldn't take it any more and finally gave it away. It definitely has its admirers and I think it serves its purpose, but I can't see myself ever wearing it again.

Shaheen's avatar

McGraw by Tim McGraw

This is my review of Dunhill Pursuit, copied and pasted. The same exact review applies to McGraw.

"Opens up smelling exactly like all of the cookie-cutter spicy aftershaves that I have countered time and time again over the years. It smells good, but extremely familiar. Once it dries down (after about 30 minutes or so), it begins to take on more of a unique scent and becomes a little more spicy and woody, with hints of sweetness.

It smells good. But I can almost guarantee you have smelled it before (or some variation thereof).

If you're into spicy aftershave-esque fragrances, give this one a try."

Escada Homme by Escada

This scent is not for everyone. I am a university student and this scent just does not appeal to me and I am willing to predict that people in my age group may not like this one either since it may remind them of something that people much older would wear. When first sprayed it is a strong powerhouse but the drydown is much better. The price of this juice is really cheap and would be a good scent for the older gentleman but not for a young buck like myself. These are just my thoughts even though I hate to put an age restriction on a fragrance. People should wear whatever they choose but I just thought I would share my words.

Scuderia Ferrari Black by Ferrari

I wanted to try the Ferrari fragrances and I bought Black blind. I must say that I am satisfied with this but I just would have liked it to have more sillage. Even though I can personally smell it I do not know how well it projects towards others. A decent casual fragrance best worn during the warmer months.

Horizon by Guy Laroche

Wow, this fragrance is fresh. Just a great all-around scent. The bottle looks and feels great and I have no idea why this was discontinued but the good news is that they can be bought dirt cheap. I am a believer in not spending tons of money on a single fragrance and that there are many excellent fragrances out there that can be inexpensive. I just don't see myself buying expensive fragrances at Macys or elsewhere when great fragrances like these can be found in discount stores for less than $10.

Ferrari Passion by Ferrari

Not as good as I once thought it was in my earlier days. This is definitely a casual fragrance that can be worn at any time of the year but nothing all that great. I prefer the other Ferraris to this.

Corduroy by Zirh

This is another great fragrance that can be had without burning your wallet. The smell of this juice has been described by others so I won't get into that. This is a sweet warm scent that can be used by anyone. Corduroy is worth a try for its dirt cheap price. What more can I say.

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

Very nice! I love tea! Even though it's a unisex cologne there are times that I feel like it is a fragrance that can be better pulled off by a woman but I wouldn't mind wearing this myself ocassionally. But who am I to judge who can wear what. This is a nice fragrance that is not overpowering and you are welcome to spray away on this one. I am thinking about buying my mother this fragrance and this way I can use it myself once in a while.

Story by Paul Smith

I had a change of heart with this one. A while back I was not too impressed with it since I found it to be too subtle. However, now I see that I was mistaken when spraying a bit more on this time and getting some sprays on the clothes as well. The longevity and strength is much greater than I originally thought and that was my main complaint when I first tested it. This has a light clean aura about it that is enjoyable. This is an all-around scent that can be worn throughout the year but is one that I will be reaching for in the warmer months.

Chipre by Madini

What a pleasant fragrance! Lively, refreshing, dry, and woody: But not woody in the traditional sense, it’s a sparkling, fresh, version of light wood. It’s drydown is a rich, discreet, primarily woody, low sillage accord that has excellent longevity. For being a Madini, it’s quite unique and trendy… unique and trendy in the very best sense. I was unsure about the chypre designation until Chipre was into its drydown: That’s when it showed its chypre essence, and that’s where it became a gotta-have for me. Though Chipre is difficult to describe and categorize, it is totally enjoyable; and it’s something that should be on the to-test list of every chypre lover.

28th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 04th December, 2010)

Quorum by Antonio Puig

Two shots on the chest of the currently available Quorum: this cologne is really a kind of Latin Polo. Less complex? Yes, intially more raw to be sure but also intially more fresh, and IMO, in the drydown, smoother, less invasive and less insistent than the sharper semi- mentholated oriental conclusions of Polo and may I add, much more BALANCED than the current actual mess of the reformulated Paco Rabanne. Do I prefer Quorum as a day to day scent, even a signature scent? Yes, and by a lot. There is a naturalness to Quorum that does not get spoken of enough. Quorum is less about trying and more about simply doing.

I am back on board, a fan of the bold, masculine freshness becoming spiciness on the verge of athetic spice of this cologne, and the drydown leads me to use it actually MORE frequently these days. No, I had not outgrown Quorum. It is not "too strong." It was I who had grown too weak.

For classic sense, masculine presence and value, Quorum may very well be king.

28th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 14th June, 2011)

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

This is one I would wear if I were in my 20's again with a total disregard for current fashion dictates. One shot!

28th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 14th June, 2011)

English Leather by Dana

I gave this one a try again. And grateful I did. The after shave is smoother, not simply lighter, more balanced. This is still IMO one of those light/heavy scents where moderation is defintely the best policy. Too much of the cologne, especially on the chest, a somewhat cloying depressing effect. But 2-4 shots of the cologne distributed, at least for me, is not only fine but somewhat refined.

This is indeed an improved reformulation where in the past I never applied EL cologne with a spray but with fingertip drops. This new and improved EL (except in the minds of purists) allows for expansion/retention of the citrus (a clean mixture of maybe lemon, some orange blossom) and the woods at some point with olfactory illusions? of a kind of raw mint or sage, flashes here and there, of that "hint of mint" of a long ago promo, with also more room for what appears when passing back and forth between notes, ah yes, brief hits of leather. There are even moments before the citrus fades when things seem slightly lime.

Clean, retro with a drydown much less outdated than many other classics. The new EL evolves into a very wearable natural scent with a calculus that defies its synthetic ingredients. Slightly sweet, dry, fresh, with enough warmth.

My only edit is to add this: the new EL is one of the most underrated scents out there in any category.. Call it a poor man's everyday niche scent if you will. English Leather rocks!!!

28th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 07th July, 2011)

CoL's avatar

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

This is a wonderful scent! Nothing ground breaking, along the lines of Fleur Du Male although more fizzy. I dont get any aquatic notes like the original Kenzo PH as stated below but I can detect a bit of L'eau Par in it. Wonderful fizzy floral, but do try before you buy as this one is not as "safe" as most of the new releases (thankfully!)

29th August, 2008