Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

mademoiselle_nicole's avatar

France France

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

As for a cook working with the most delicate and refined ingredients everyday you school your nose.
    Once you start with sausage and get up to truffels - it is a continuous way up until you reach the top.
    And then sth strange happens....
    you start to accept only two things- the finest and the simplest.

Like you can only eat or Bocuse or your mamas food.
    It is the same for me with fragrances.
    I know so many fragrances, had so many and still appreciate some of them but it gets more and more difficult to feel them.

So I give away many and buy little because most of them don't talk to me personally any more.

l'heure bleue is different. it may be sweet, heavy and old-fashioned but it is such a thick comforting heavenly juice that it became the lullaby I like to spray on my pillow at night.
    It fills the whole room if you wear it in the day. It is nothing You should go to the dentist with but it is the perfect fragrance for those blue hours with just me myself and I, a thick cashmir sweater and that smokey hour between dawn and night that will be only for you, reverie, thinking hours, reflections and that calm moments when you stop hurrying around and suddenly get back to hear your inner self.

an amazing fragrance that definitely gives me something

29 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 20th January, 2010)

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Just tried this today...didn't know what to expect...
    It is light and semi-sweet in the opening...then the sweetness intensifies. After about 30 mins in 70 degree weather with humidity, it turned into "FCUK Him Intense"...
    For those who like FCUK or know what it smells like, you will probably agree that it is somewhat weak and very synthetic. This is the opposite...somewhat strong (anise seed twang, much like Lolita Lempicka for men) and way less synthetic...so if you liked FCUK you will definately love this.
    For me however, I think it is a bit too synthetic, it smells like a mild berry bubble gum/anise seed with a hint of frost. I see this as one of the many variations of the Ultraviolet scents from Paco. It also smells like Versace Metal Jeans.
    Bottle is nice however, shaped like a piece of gold bullion.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

Odysseusm mentioned this smelling "hollow." BINGO!!! exactly what I thought.
    First of all, fresh fragrances are my thing. It may not be "hip" or "cool," but neither are "Opeth" or "Opie and Anthony," and I love both of them and really don't care what people think.

So take it from a connoisseur of the fresh, this is empty. It's so easy to get away with a superficially pleasant fresh fragrance because fresh fragrances aren't supposed to be deep anyway, but take it from me, this really is the bottom of the barrel... well, okay, it's the worst you can get without actually becoming unpleasant. It also doesn't last very long.

If you're looking for fresh, do yourself a favor and check out Allure Sport

Eden by Cacharel

Tread lightly... this is an unusual one.
    This is about as rich as herbal perfumes get, and you're either gonna love it or hate it. Patchouli fruit compote. Lasts and lasts.

Madness by Chopard

Bad behavior on the top note; intense for something that behaves much better after a few moments. Fruity and playful with warm woods to keep it down to earth. Like Baby Spice (the Spice Girl) with black leather stilettos.

Kudos for the packaging for the parfum. A red Rubik's Cube encased in a series of metal plates all held together with a red plug. Cool.

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

Juicy Fruit Gum. Is this how a man should smell? Not a bad odor, mind you, and best worn in warm weather, just not masculine.

Fleurs de Chocolat Mikado by Fresh

When I grab something in a hurry my impulse is Mikado. The truth is I love it. Chocolate dressed in Mme. Gres. The leafy herbs suck all the sweet out of notes that might otherwise be juvenile. Audrey Hepburn's chocolate.

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Manly, in a man's man kind of way. I like to think this is what Robert Redford and Tom Selek wear. Exelent longevity if worn with after shave balm. Best in cool weather, I find the animalic notes overpowering in the heat.

Blush by Marc Jacobs

First: don't go near Marc Jacobs fragrances if you don't like white flowers.
    The jasmine assault is harnessed by a lovely citrus/ powdery woods leash. Reminds me of the jasmine tea in chinese takeout shops. This is great when used in subtle amounts for intimate moments.

Hermèssence Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermès

Tea, and sweet citrus, and dried fruits, and...
    Hey! Where did it go?

Juicy Couture by Juicy Couture

What is this? Is it chypre? Is it fruity? Is it floral?
    I like it when fragrances use unconventional harmonies, but this schizophrenic fragrance leaves me feeling bewildered. Feels very synthetic, very contrived. You may enjoy this if you like tuberose sans the sweet.

jathanas's avatar

Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Immaculate is the way I describe Jazz.
    It opens with bergamot, and transcends into a spicy floral heart. The striking feature is the overall smoothness of the composition. It's never too heavy, nor too light! The soft woody dry-down is surprisingly pleasant.
    Sillage is appropriate for a fragrance of this type.
    Damn this is good!

Whiffnotes's avatar

Philippine Philippine

L'Eau par Kenzo by Kenzo

Decent, light and harmless. Good for daytime wear.

oldnose's avatar

Chamade by Guerlain

I haven't owned Chamade for about 35 years, but I still miss it. On me (I used the EDT), it pretty much stayed the same throughout the day, a very sparkly, peppery floral. The sparkliness and pepperiness were more predominant. I did have some friends who were surprised it was Chamade I was wearing, so apparently it's one of those that reacts quite differently to one's body chemistry.

It's one of the few scents I have ever worn that had strange men ask me what it was - including one guy who owned a ritzy little art shop in New Orleans, and decided he wanted to sell it as the only scent he would carry! Someday, I will splurge again; in the meantime, I have to settle for Chamade's working-class cousin Vanderbilt (which to me is Chamade with a few drops of Organza - could be worse!).

Aspen for Men by Coty

Good knock-off of Cool Water for those that want to smell good but not spend more than $15.

Cigar by Rémy Latour

Nice and cheap "cigar smell" but fails miserably at producing the intoxicating, pleasantly aroma of such. Comes off abrasive and sharp.

English Leather by Dana

The stuff out now is revolting and doesn't smell like leather or tanning materials to me. More like a feminine leather chypre with army boots. The graphic on the bottle looks like an upside down hat.

Gravity by Coty

My least favorite "drug store cheapos". I love clove but the clove in this is atrocious. I'm not knocking it because it's Coty/cheap. It's like a Fahrenheit knock-off gone horribly, horribly wrong.

Pancaldi by Hanorah

Green oakmoss and florals. Leathery wood later on. Very interesting.

Preferred Stock by Coty

Cheap! A leathery fougere with a huge patchouli note.

Sélection Verte by Creed

If I had tested this blind, I would swear it would be a Bulgari. Has the aldehydic drydown of the The series with a fresh and amazing green mint added on top. Nice, since I don't like mint. Doesn't last long though. Go for Chèvrefeuille Original if you want longevity and mint (from a Creed). Honestly, thumbs up if it lasted longer.

Stetson by Stetson

A cheap feminine oriental for men? This could pass as a cheap Guerlain to unsuspecting noses. Good for starters.

Carlo Corinto Rouge by Carlo Corinto

A Cool Water knock-off? It's aromatic... but it's got a slightly woody tinge to it and very synthetic. Strong and cloying...

Carlo Corinto Classic by Carlo Corinto

One 80's leather fougere I can live without... feels weak compared to the others I've tried. But god in its own way.

Derrick Black by Orlane

Comes off a little of everything! Powdery, sweet, tobacco, vanilla, musk, lavender... I don't know how to explain it but this stuff is fairly decent for its price. Surprising but lacks longevity.

Vermeil for Men by Vermeil

A huge tobacco scent. Loud and clear it states, "I am a man". It doesn't scream, it doesn't get in your face, it's there and it's just stating fact.

Cuba Black by Cuba Paris

Deep and sensual. Smells of leather, oakmoss... just a plain good cheapie that heralds back to the old school days.

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I didn't like Guerlain's Vetiver at first. Too soapy. And I thought "why are there so many vetiver lovers?" Here's the answer. Vétiver Extraordinaire is one of the best vetivers available. May come across as too powerful for some but for me this is quality grassiness right here; like a very good pilsner.

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

Fresh floral oriental... you nailed it JaimeB. The drydown gives an illusion of vetiver. Relaxing and uplifting fragrance. Good, casual daily wear. Longevity lacks here on my skin, though.

MoslBuddJewChristHinDao (Unifaith) by Elternhaus

This is a mixture of all the religions various smells in their temples, synagogues, cathedrals, etc. Incense, vetiver, sandalwood, patchouli. Everything that makes you think zealous fundamentalist crackpot. THIS IS AN AMAZING SMELL. Perhaps worth the money. I haven't encountered a fragrance that's both earthy yet dreamy. Terre d'Hermes came close but I ended up not liking Td'H. Side note: I put this one before going to bed and I had the most amazing dreams. Usually I never remember my dreams.