Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I didn't like Guerlain's Vetiver at first. Too soapy. And I thought "why are there so many vetiver lovers?" Here's the answer. Vétiver Extraordinaire is one of the best vetivers available. May come across as too powerful for some but for me this is quality grassiness right here; like a very good pilsner.

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

Fresh floral oriental... you nailed it JaimeB. The drydown gives an illusion of vetiver. Relaxing and uplifting fragrance. Good, casual daily wear. Longevity lacks here on my skin, though.

MoslBuddJewChristHinDao (Unifaith) by Elternhaus

This is a mixture of all the religions various smells in their temples, synagogues, cathedrals, etc. Incense, vetiver, sandalwood, patchouli. Everything that makes you think zealous fundamentalist crackpot. THIS IS AN AMAZING SMELL. Perhaps worth the money. I haven't encountered a fragrance that's both earthy yet dreamy. Terre d'Hermes came close but I ended up not liking Td'H. Side note: I put this one before going to bed and I had the most amazing dreams. Usually I never remember my dreams.

360 Degrees for Men by Perry Ellis

This does not have any creativity.. Typical run of the milll scent & I am not pleased with it. Get your self some Perry Ellis WHITE for men & b happy!

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Hmmmmmmmm watery notes & roses. I am not a fan of roses. After all they dont smell pleasent.. This stuff just does not set well with me. It has a smell that im not fond of. Yes the longevity is good. Yet the smell is something i can live without. The bottle is plain & ugly. No creativity there. I suppose it is 1 of the better scents from armani. Then again im not a fan of this house.

Unforgivable by Sean John

And what do we have here?? Another over priced, boring scent with a celeberty's name on it. Much like Ushers disgusting fragrance. O & did I mention this is 1 tacky bottle?

Heir by Paris Hilton

This is a nice scent for a teenager or early 20 yr old. It is sweet sorta fem and light. The longevity is POOR.. So for that I will give this a neutral rating!

Lorenzzo88's avatar

Azzaro Now Men by Azzaro

Quite good indeed
    It delivers what it is supposed to do. I usualy don't like ozonic, aquatic and mettalic fragrances but this one is pretty fine, like kenzo ph, chrome, or dry clean by cdg are going beyond this ozone/calone/metal stereotype imo. NOW is nothing very spectacular, but it can be positively surprising. I find the wood accord pretty well done , dry and feels almost natural...if I think of pencil shavings. Funny thing, I sampled Hinoki by Comme Des Garcons today and (lord forgive me) thought the dry cedar-crypress thing going on in the heart notes was similar to the wood accord in Now, atleast, before the vetiver start to showing its face in Hinoki. I also like the clean white musk drydown...leather?..amber...?...I mean come on...

Jakob Kiilerich's avatar

Denmark Denmark

Odeur 53 by Comme des Garçons

Modern, avantgarde and discrete.

This is, for me, a bi-polar scent. There are the flowery notes underneath the dominant smell of photocopier and static electricity from tv-monitors. Somehow these notes do not fit, but then again, that is exactly the point. Provocative in a discrete and quite pleasing way. I love it!

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

What makes Mitsouko so mysterious is that it's difficult to define. it's so well blended that it's difficult for me to pinpoint many individual notes. I have both the vintage and the new. They are almost the same, but with slight differences. The vintage opens up on me with a more nutty cinnamon note. From the beginning the vintage version seems to maintain a kind of aloofness. However, as the fruity peach note comes to the front the scent gets only slightly warmer. This stage lasts pretty long on me. As it dries down further, I get a vetiver note that combined with the cinnamony peach is really strange, giving this scent the quirkiness that makes it so amazing for me.

The new mitsouko is the same but the main notes seem to be in reverse order for me. In the new version the peach note is there right out of the gate with the cinnamon emerging a little later. The new version is also noticeably warmer and slightly sweeter in my opinion. In germanomio's review he mentioned that the vintage version had a "frying oil" smell and I get exactly the smell he's talking about, except that I'm getting it from the new version. That smell combined with the peach/cinnamon notes evokes a vision of donuts in the process of frying and I actually find that comforting.

The new Mitsouko, unlike most reformulations, has remained true to the spirit of the original. But it's also more "accessible" by today's perfume standards making it a little less mysterious and aloof. I appreciate both and will sometimes layer them for the qualities that they both bring.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Mauboussin by Mauboussin

Mauboussin is all candied fruit and creamy woods. It's really pretty and delicious in that Angel kind of way. I enjoyed it and it lasts a long time, but it belongs in a genre that's the trend in perfume these days ( the fruity gourmand), so there really aren't any big surprises here.

bbBD's avatar

Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior

I was so excited to try this, especially with the other Dior Homme exclusives being such winners, with some of those reviews proclaiming Eau Noir to be the best of the three. Oy Vey! I rarely write negative reviews because usually if I don't like something I can still see the qualities in it that make something good. I can acknowledge that just because I don't like a note or two, a fragrance can still be good but just not for me. Not this.

The opening, to me, was dead on lentil soup - with too much salt. I've sampled it now three times, and each time I could swear it smells like salty lentil soup. The fragrance then goes somewhere unexpected - to a sickly sweet amber that is very similar to Tom Ford Amber Absolute. The basenotes come back around full circle, combining amber and some salty/spicy/incense notes that, jumbled together, are somewhat unpleasant.

Not for me at all, and just bizarre. I think Bois d'Argent is the best of the three, with Cologne Blanche right behind.

djolney's avatar

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

I have been trying to write a review of The Third Man on and off for six weeks. No matter what I write it doesn’t seem complete enough to represent my appreciation of this fragrance.

The Third Man is a beautiful fragrance. It is both the height of urbane sophistication and an encapsulation of the physical pleasure of being alive. In the top, middle, and base there is a living, breathing balance between elegance and earthiness. For every soft, round, and voluptuous ingredient there is a corresponding intense and/or earthy ingredient to facilitate balance and action within the fragrance. The Third Man grows and changes throughout the day, and there is always some new accord to experience.

Every man with an interest in fragrance should experience The Third Man.

Mark67's avatar

L'Eau du Navigateur by L'Artisan Parfumeur

A very rakish scent, smoky seaside bar-meets-cool old used book store. Sour coffee and spicy nutmeg notes peppered with sweet tobacco/leather and a hint of old booze. The sourness has a pitch that may turn some off (my wife isn't crazy about it) and my guess is you'll either think its sweet spiciness provides a nice balance or just masks smoky weirdness. An rich, intriguing mix for a harder-partying Indiana Jones that holds up incredibly well throughout the day.

Hugo by Hugo Boss

I do not like this type of fragrance. It's way too spicy and sour, and reminds me of older EDT's like the original Polo (which I also do not like). If you are a fan of that type of fragrance, then I suppose this one is worth checking out.

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a very light and airy fragrance, sort of "perfumey" in nature. Smells like a mixture of light amber, ginger, and lemon rind. It's not too synthetic, however I just didn't care for it all that much. I find this better suited for cooler weather.

29th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 25th October, 2009)

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

This fragrance incorporates a prominent star fruit note, and I love the smell of starfruit. This is light and airy, sweet, and slightly "perfumey." Sillage is decent and longevity average.

But I don't like it. It's an anemic fragrance...there's just something missing in the composition that leaves a lot to be desired. It has a "hollow" texture or feel and leaves me unsatisfied. I came across someone at work wearing this fragrance and had the same reaction when smelling this on someone else's skin.

It should be noted that this smells nothing like the original Versace Man.

29th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 25th October, 2009)

's avatar

Baldessarini Ambré by Baldessarini

At first I wasn't a huge fan of the largesse in the middle notes but I've warmed to it. The initial burst is actually quite clear and refreshing. It's a quick drydown to a slightly sticky and moderatly dark tone. Bits of incense pop up every once in awhile. I would enjoy this in a poorly lit (but well attended) library and a cushy couch. The strength drops after 5+ hours and leaves a soft glow on the skin. Respectable sillage.

andysha's avatar

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

Wonderfully warm drydown, with that earthy musk and ambergris, lasts forever on me whereas newer,sweeter scents disappear in a flash. To me it's the 'cleanest' of the 70s scents, and now I'm in my 30s, smelling like a well groomed Italian banker doesn't feel me with dread.

Fieno / Hay by Santa Maria Novella

The Demeter version of hay made me sick to my stomach – this one is so much better. But I do have a difficult time calling this Santa Maria Novella version “hay.” It doesn’t really smell like the hay that I’m familiar with. If I use the Italian “Fieno,” I can ease my conscience in respect to truth in labeling. The beautiful, rustic opening is quite catching – it is very rose dominated to my nose. The accord is rose and fieno …something dryly vegetal, neutral, and unaffected. For three or four minutes I could believe that that background note is hay, if I force my imagination. It’s actually a beautiful note but it doesn’t stay long because the accord quickly develops a full floral bouquet – rose and myrtle, says the pyramid, I say rose. I love its simple and rustic rose note, and it's about the only obvious rose note I've encountered that I can readily see myself wearing. The drydown is soft – a bit herbal, sweet, and powdery: too powdery for my tastes, but in a pastoral fragrance like this, the powder might be forgivable. I appreciate Fieno especially because of its charm and simplicity. There’s that rural pleasantness about it. That note that is supposed to be hay is very nice. The fragrance seems to have an acceptable longevity.

29th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 29th January, 2011)

ortho123's avatar

Brut by Fabergé

Clean, masculine, with just enough attitude left in it...
    This is what I've come back to as my go-to...Brut!

29th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 25th November, 2014)

CoL's avatar

Dunhill London by Dunhill

I have to disagree, this is lovely! Very different from the rest of the new releases out at the moment. Yes it does have a synthetic edge to it but come on its a designer scent, what do you expect!

Give it a go and don't expect a Creed for this price but very easy to wear lasting aromatic scent.

DOCPSYCHO's avatar

Fiore d'Ambra by Profumum

A nice scent but I believe it a bit confusing. None of the notes really stand out and progress. A half hearted attempt to imitate JHL with much less sillage and staying power. The price tag is very pretentious to say the least. I guess I would expect better for the price. Not a bad fragrance. Just an ill defined melange of different notes. Save yourself some money and get a bottle of JHL. At least when you wear JHL you know you are wearing something and it has defined notes and progression through the top, mid and basenotes.

L'Eau de Jatamansi by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Catchy citrus / floral opening – the grapefruit is especially notable for its excellent sharp and sour citrus clarity – as simple as it is, it’s a natural, refreshing, and enjoyable note , but it certainly doesn’t last longer than a few minutes. The middle accords show up with a spicy / herbal / floral feel: most clearly presented is a light cloves leading into a dusty rose accord. The rose doesn’t strike me as very floral and I don’t smell the ylang-ylang at all: This level, too, is done with delicacy and refinement, but, like the opening, the middle doesn’t last for very long. The base announces itself with the aromatics of the gaiiac note which is immediately joined by the sandalwood. There’s an incense that joins the base accord and I find the accords quite compelling, but, alas, the base also has limited longevity.

I like this fragrance and I like the idea of a natural organic fragrance. It’s well made, discreet, refined, and spectacularly nonsynthetic. I think it does provide aromatherapeutic benefits because it feels good in a way that I’m not used to with fragrances. Its longevity is exactly what one would expect of a natural fragrance – minimal; but I don’t think is it that much shorter in duration as a few other L’Artisans that I have tried. L'Eau de Jatamansi has given me enough pleasure and satisfaction that I intend to continue seeking out natural fragrances. The cost is not out of line for a fragrance of this quality: It is a very good fragrance and a needed idea and it deserves a thumbs up.

JaimeB's avatar

Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Woody, rich, deep, with sandalwood and vanilla supported by a strong amber-oakmoss base and reinforced by a fragrant coffee note and a medley of spices in the top note. This scent has great longevity on me and gives off a definite air of sophistication and savoir-faire. It's one of my favorite special occasion scents, and I'll be wearing it to the wedding of a couple of friends today as I watch from the sidelines and sing the tenor part of Mozart's Ave Verum Corpus with the choir.

Gucci Eau de Parfum by Gucci

Gucci Eau de Parfum perfume is not for my skin. It becomes too sharp, and not beautiful. I have really tried to wear it, as I wanted to like it. I have owned a bottle, but had to give it away. The new 'Gucci by Gucci' 2007 is quite similar, but much better for my skin. It doas not develope the sharpness. I might get a bottle of that one instead.

Gucci Eau de Parfym is an obvious qualityfraganse, so it gets a neutral from me.

Poême by Lancôme

I rate Poême neutral, as it is so potent so it is a little bit difficult to wear, and as it makes my husband allergic. He starts sneezing as soon as I wear it. But as it is a truly beautiful perfume it is not getting a thumbs down from me. It absolutley deserves a neutral!

Burberry the Beat by Burberry

Not bad at all! I don´t like Burberry fraganses, they are way too sweet and strong for me, with the exception "Burberry London", as I carry very well. And now there is "The Beat", too, for me! It is fresh but still quite thrilling, it is present, but not too strong. I like the bottle, too. It has a place on my "maybee-list", I might get this one as a full bottle in the future!

Incredible Me by Escada

Not bad at all! Escada is big-selling i Sweden, so actually I am glad for this perfume, as I guess I will smell it quite a lot on other persons. It is a little bit more mature than other Escada-perfumes, quite fresh, almost sour, and with an interesting body. The bottle is different from other Escadabottles, too. I will not get it myself, but it is a nice perfume I will enjoy others to wear!

ubuandibeme's avatar

Drôle de Rose by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I can only elaborate upon Vibert's eloquent commentary by adding that to my nose, this L'artisan is a true "lipstick rose" - even moreso than Malle's! It is absolutely adorable!