Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

bront82's avatar

Mad Sweeney by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Smells just like Jack Daniels ... perfect for the alcoholic in your life!

Dia Woman by Amouage

A real lady yet never stiff but sparkling. Wonderfully warm softness going hand in hand with the purity you will feel on your skin not after a simple shower but after a sophisticated bath ritual. dia is like light silk,the perfect white drop pearl, it is shimmering and noble.
    a fragrance that shines without ever hitting your eye in an unbehaved manner.
    it creates the kind of distance between you and the wearer that clearly speaks nobility, elegantly not arrogantly.
    a fragrance of true grace and femininity.
    a class of its own

No. 1 for Women by Clive Christian

the clive christian range is what i think turin refers to when he writes that nowadays it became possible to spend so much more and get so much less.

Mille et Une Roses / 2000 Et Une Rose by Lancôme

elegant, neat and wellbehaving,
    it is so much a lady, it might be even too smooth for my character to wear it every day...but it is definitely beautiful, cristal sweet soft roses and honey

En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

it is the unaware beauty that make en passant so heartbreaking.
    it has the innocence of somebody extremely handsome and not knowing it.
    this pureness makes it so attractive.a very pure fragrance, calling up my parents garden with its lilac bushes, together with a tender touch of warm bread,- yes i get that. on my skin it is pure, clear like the morning sky- heartbreakingly beautiful

tnamey's avatar

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Over rated!!!! This cologne is like a cake with icing to be plastered on your body! Clearly too sweet. Clearly too simple. Get the taste of sweet desserts, mix generously, and you have this. Totally without sophistication. Sorry. any frangrance with only a two to one postive to negative ratio is dangerous. This fragrance is a waste of money and time. That is, unless you are starting Kindergarten......you will be quite popular ith both girls and boys!!!!

tnamey's avatar

Envy for Men by Gucci

I find this a paradox: fine after drydown....which is quite long in coming, but too "sweet" before so. I find "sweet" oriental frags too "Jade East" like, although this scent i quite different, apart from the too sweet, oriental quality. This negates the masculine qualities of this scent. I am quite ambivilant about this frgrance, despite the plaudits of many Basenotes colleagues. I cannot wear this scent comfortably.

Lisaandtheword's avatar

Floret by Antonia's Flowers

scrubber! weird beer smell(sour alcohol), I thought it was "off" at first but then the sweetsie floral w/ bright apricot came thru, still w/ that sourness, blech.

scentsitivity's avatar

Silver Musk by Nasomatto

Another ultra-clean scent! Unlike most of this sort, it comes with a price tag: as of this writing, $148 (US) for 30 mls. The Nasomatto website says it “aims to evoke superhero magnetism.” Who writes this stuff? Not recommended.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Escape for Men by Calvin Klein

Some days I like this and some days I don't, or so it used to be. Recently it seems that I never like this. It contains an overall quality reminiscent of Issy Miake (sp?), but also has an offensive fruity aggresiveness that I don't like. I can't explain it but it seems to affect my well being, inducing both nausea and headeaches.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

This shares a note with Escape for men, and yet it's so much more pleasant. It is a little much, at first. However, as the top notes cool off what remains is spicy and woody. The only strike against it is it's popularity, but we can't go tossing around the down thumb because the perfumer did a fine job.

schumi's avatar

Romania Romania

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

Art & emotion … this is what No.88 is all about!

A GOTHIC and DIABOLIC cologne - undoubtedly a perfect signature fragrance for DRACULA.

The almost unanimous opinion is that No.88 is a monumental fragrance. I was awe-struck by its grandiose status, so I timidly opened the door to its world… It was a transcendental experience that changed me forever… The emotional abyss sucked me in instantly and I woke up in a Gothic universe. I was overwhelmed by the gloomy atmosphere of a haunted castle, bathed in the blue light of a full midnight moon. Dark roses, funereally strewn all over the place, are accompanied with excerpts from Clint Mansell's Requiem for a Dream Soundtrack gravely resounding in the background. Here, a Gothic girl is lonely mourning the spiritual desert of the outer world in what seems to be the last ritual of an aggrieved soul... A warm and hallucinatory dizziness enshrouds her, as she hopelessly commits herself to the bloody count… It all seemed like a dream… Only the smell of roses remained as a memory of her sacrifice…

At the same time, it is THE ABSOLUTE ELEGANCE, THE SCENT OF THE KINGS! (which is only natural for a fragrance created following an original Elizabethan recipe)… A magical duality!

No.88... a nonpareil... a unique monument in the world of perfumery...

30th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 16 October, 2008)

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

This is the scent they spray all over the A&F stores, everyday & all the day. It is the scent that hits you in the face, even when you just pass by one of the stores.

There is only one way to describe this scent: it smells cheap.

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

Not bad, but offensively synthetic and a little cheap smelling. It is loud and bold, and sweet. I enjoy sweet scents when they are humorous or simply delicious. This is not like that though. Not for a very sophisticated and suave gentleman, I would like to believe.

It also feels a little college fraternity boy-esque. It just doesn't scream taste or refinement, and it is also not particularly energetic. ('fuel for life'... not so much)

I don't say I hate it, but it is really hard to make this look elegant.

Versace pour Homme by Versace

Versace has lost its olfactory edge I think. Especially with this scent. I am not going to repeat what everyone else said about the scent, but after Versace l'Homme, the Dreamer, Versace Man and even Versace Man Eau Fraiche, this scent is a big let down.

Because of the the listed hyacinth note, I thought this would or could have been a very polarizing scent that walks into a dangerous territory of masculine florals like Dior Homme (iris), Narciso Rodriguez for Men (violets), or Ungaro III (rose). But it is not any of that.

The only way, that this scent would have been somewhat bold, would be possible with a gorgeous, provocative, and sexy ad campaign like Light Blue for Men. But that ad campaign isn't around. Without that artificial 'image' and the usual Versace dream, this is just another aquatic neroli based citrus-y Acqua di Gio creation that noone really needs. On a lighter note, it is much better than both Gio and Light Blue, but that doesn't say much. Versace always creates high quality scents.

It is quite average, plain, and very un-Versace.

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

Very bland and safe, synthetic and a little dull. Obviously a very commercial release after the female version. Even the name is a little tacky. 'Diamonds for men'... since when that is masculine or suave?

It just isn't impressive and remind me more of the less successful cK releases. There is cedar, Guaiac wood, some type of citrus in the opening (bergamot or lemon maybe), a character-less vetiver note, some amber at the base with cacao. It doesn't smell expensive nor chic: it is just inoffensive and weak.

Armani never fails to disappoint me, and this creation is just another way too mundane scent just overcrowds the perfume counters. Both new fragrances Versace pour Homme and Gucci by Gucci for men are far better scents (comparison is inevitable, because they are all being released at the same time), and even though I did not have the chance to test it yet, I am sure Prada Infusion d'Iris will also be much more worthy of your attention.

Aqua Quorum by Antonio Puig

I can't ignore the Basenotes blurb and think that this is a cross between the aromatic sweetness of Cool Water and Eternity for Men's fresh green crispness. It's closer to an Eternity knock-off but a little spicier. Good for the money and actually surprisingly different than other fragrances that are named 'aqua', 'water' or 'blue'. Still, it comes off as a ho-hum fragrance in the long run.

Ricci Club by Nina Ricci

A citrusy, oakmoss and leather. Actaully quite strong for citrus. Quite beautiful. Worth a sniff.

En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Smells like a confused flower shop. A very cold feeling combination of lilac and heliotrope.

United Colors of Benetton Unisex by Benetton

Very much like Mugler Cologne but a little lighter. Fresh and clean.

L'Air de Rien by Miller Harris

Sweet vanilla and woody amber and a little boozy. Fantastic.

Pedro Sanchez's avatar

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is a warm fragrance, very masculine ("boozy") and green. In my opinion a beautiful take on wormwood, somewhat "piney" along the lines of Blenheim Bouquet albeit with some degree of complexity. It is easy to dismiss this as just another pine fragrance, although if one is curious and patient enough, the nuances in the dry down is downright complex and beautiful....and highly addictive. This would be perfect for one who smokes as it does complement the smell of tobacco. An excellent winter or cold weather scent, use sparingly as it is quite potent (this is edp strength). I believe this to be one of the few in the L'Artisan line to have a truly masculine scent. Sublime.

Mostapha's avatar

Egypt Egypt

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

The iris in this is beautiful, and the make up smell in a male fragrance is brilliant in my opinion. It does not reveal its true beauty until the dry down, so if you're testing, give it some time. This is not saying that the opening is anything but lovely, but the dry down of Dior Homme is probably the best thing I have ever smelled. Easily wearable by a woman. In fact, although it's a male fragrance, it is more easily wearable by a woman than a man, because it *does* smell feminine. You can't let that keep you from enjoying it though, this smells like nothing else.

Dior Homme is easily my number one fragrance. When I'm having an incredibly great day and want a fragrance to complement the experience, it's this one. Longevity is just how I want it to be. I smell it all day, but not any longer. Projection is moderate. And the bottle design is smart.

whorling's avatar

Cigar by Rémy Latour

I have to agree with other reviewers that this scent is incredibly sharp when first sprayed. It slightly lingers, but not in a good way. I also purchased it at TJ Maxx for $12, and after two to three uses, it found a home beneath my bathroom sink.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Onda Parfum Extrait by Vero Profumo

Pure genius. This is what comes to mind: earth, leather, tobacco, wood, smoke, urine. It's pungent, animalic, meaty, rich. All of that is the opening of Onda. I was immediately smitten. I couldn't function because I couldn't tear my wrist away from my nose long enough to do anything. After everything I've read about this, the only notes I could gather from various websites are vetiver roots, ginger, mace and coriander. There has to be more to it than that. This is too well blended for my amateur nose to pick out individual notes, but as the scent dries down, the vetiver emerges and this is where Onda crosses paths with the Guerlain classic, Djedi (see my review for Djedi where I compare it with Onda). Shortly after, the most unlikeliest of notes comes to accompany it: soft baby powder. As strange and confusing as Onda is, I find it warm and comforting. when I wear it I feel like I'm letting everything that is the best of me emerge. It's unbelievable. This is that kind of scent that keeps me wondering "How did she do this?" In my opinion, this scent could one day be as sought after as Djedi is now. It's that sublime. I guarantee that this is going to be one of those scents where the reviews for it could be split down the middle.

Onda is at the top of my wish list. I'm absolutely "ga ga" over it. I'm even thinking about taking the box containing $150 in gold dollars my Mom gave me last Christmas that I was saving for something special and plunking it down on a full bottle of Onda. From what I've read it's supposed top be available in the U.S. in September. I'm waiting, but not patiently.

bbBD's avatar

Fleur d'Iris by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

I experienced Fleur d'Iris somewhat differently than did Foetidus. Of course he's far more educated in these arts, so take my review for what it's worth.

I initially sense an accord that is mostly iris, with perhaps some green notes to fill it out. Within a few minutes the first traces of vanilla appear, and slowly but surely vanilla becomes a more prominent note. I never thought of, or experienced, a vanilla iris accord. It is fantastic... the coolness and woodiness of the iris balanced against the warmth of vanilla. As the fragrance develops, vanilla becomes more prominent. About 3 hours after application the iris is but a coolly mild hint, and the vanilla becomes more amber-ish and musky.

I received samples of this simultaneously with MPG's Iris Bleu Gris. IBG is the 'masculine' iris by this house, and whereas pepper to balance iris in IBG, Fleur d'Iris uses vanilla. Fleur d'Iris is not particularly feminine and could easily worn by guys.

Top Notes: Rose, leafy green;
    Middle Notes: Iris, vanilla, jasmine, violet;
    Base Notes: Ambergris, vetiver, musk.

Shaheen's avatar

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

The opening is wonderful. It's very smooth and watery, quite "blue," with a sweet-ish cucumber note. Reminds me of walking along the beach in the early evening, a slight breeze blowing, next to a blue ocean...

...and then some jackass runs up and hits me in the face with a pizza.

Uh, who thought it would be a good idea for such a blue, watery, aquatic fragrance like this to dry down to basil? Basil! As in the type of basil you keep in your spice cabinet that you use to make pizza or Italian spaghetti.

This dry-down is just gross, and completely ruins what would have been a great fragrance.

Someone at Ralph Lauren needs to be fired. Or beaten. Or both.

Shaheen's avatar

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

Opens up smelling like fresh mint and spearmint leaves. When I say fresh, I mean like smelling them in the produce section at the supermarket. I don't detect much sweetness at all.

The dry-down becomes slightly spicier and I can detect something like parsley in addition to the mint leaves.

And that's all there is to this according to my nose. It smells good, but it isn't for me. Going around smelling like FRESH mint and parsley just isn't appealing.

praxenakis's avatar

Touch for Men by Burberry

I'm new to fragrances, the only other scent I've bought recently is Thierry Mugler Cologne, another fragrance I like very much. I like this one a lot, the floral notes seem to stay with it through most of the scent, drying down into a soapy clean feeling that makes it a very nice scent for hanging out around the apartment or for wearing in a professional work environment. It doesn't strike my as a good nightlife scent, because it's very calming and definitely has a feminine feeling. I think this is why I like it, I don't really like over the top masculine musks, and I could see a woman wearing this scent just as much as a man. At Sephora I was torn between this and Dior Eau Sauvage, and chose this one because fall is coming and the pepper lends it a slight spiciness that might be nice as the weather gets a little colder. The sillage isn't over the top, it wears pretty close to the skin but I find women on the subway leaning in close to me on the subway in the morning after putting it on. Very nice, and reasonably priced. I'm very happy with this purchase.

MADDSNIPER's avatar

Cool Water Deep by Davidoff

A nice smelling mild fresh cologne, to me it smells like a mix of echo and the original cool water with the smell leading more towards echo on the dry down, would be nice if the smell lasted a little longer but its easy to top up after a few hours.