Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

HORACIO GONZÁLEZ's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

i remember so well the first time i felt this scent, it was a sensation of wellness and joy!
    i love this fragrance
    horacio

Oaksbluff's avatar

Cefiro by Floris

I guess I'm in a minority here... I rather like Cefiro.
    It's built around the usual suspects citrus topnotes, bit of bright sandalwood beneath it all. However, what is very weird, and it is the reason I not only enjoy it but love it, there is a "silly putty" smell: remember the stuff that came in a plastic "egg?"
    My recommendation is to give it a whirl. Lord knows there are enough irrelevant scents out there in the world, growing exponentially, but I for one don't think Cefiro is one of them.

Oaksbluff's avatar

Vetiver de Java by Il Profumo

il Profumo makes some spectacular scents.
    There is a house base-fragrance, like Guerlain has a "guerlinade" (profumanade?), which appears in a few of the masculines. If I struggle to dissect this fragrance I would put forth the following ingredients: musk, a light dose of a woody camphorous smell-- perhaps birch tar, and a more than healthy dose of what seems to me Calone. It has an aquatic vibe without being palpably aquatic. Make any sense?
    Anyhow. On to Vetiver de Java. Not really sure I pick up much (any?) vetiver here... don't come looking for a vetiver stronghold in this. The aforementioned house note is pretty much what predominates from beginning to end. As for luckyscent's description, which often leads me to believe that they were creative-writing English majors before they got an MBA, they couldn't even spin a yarn beyond what the company's website says about it. On top of all this, the concentration seems weak.
    Thumb sideways, as this scent isn't dreadful, just unnecessary. Tempted to give it a thumbs down as I'm miffed at a lack of another good vetiver in the world of scent... but one tries to remain unruffled.

snifferdog's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Exquisite interplay of contrasting notes with an underlying sweet dustiness. A masterpiece of perfumery and has been put to the top shelf in my wardrobe. The combination of iris and cocoa is a masterstroke, and the remaining notes serve to introduce (bergamot/sage in the top) or accentuate the base (vetiver/leather).

Delicate veil of refined notes and ultramodern elegant and sophisitcated.

One of the finest ever for men.

31st August, 2008 (Last Edited: 01st September, 2008)

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

A fascinating, multi-faceted masterwork, Boucheron PH is a puzzling beast, and watching the reactions it elicits and trying to deconstruct them is fascinating. Is it really a "formal" scent for "over-40" people? Why?

Like many great scents, BPH is timeless. Its concentrated citrus blast is heavily reminiscent of other 60s and 70s citrus screamers like Monsieur Balmain and YSL Pour Home -- both in its philosophy and its execution, although the Boucheron's soapy verbana-laced tones distinguish it from its citrusy brethren. Its aromatic and woody progression is simply wonderful - a cool, velvety journey that just smells great. And it is VERY powerful. The EDP that I own requires only a couple of split-second sprays to make a difference -- and one that lasts the whole day. In spirit (and uncompromising quality level), BPH is almost more Chanel than recent Chanel scents.

I strongly suspect that it is BPH's classic construction, and its elegant, stodgy and almost architectural packaging, that cause most people to think of this as an older person's scent for formal occasions. But you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you pass this one by for those reasons. That said -- if you do like relentlessly modern fruity and gourmandy scents, move along, as this one is the antithesis of that category.

Brit for Men by Burberry

Another brilliant outing by Antoine Maisondieu for Burberry. Crisp, classic and timeless, yet with enough of an edge (the sweets and spices) to make it different. Like its twin brother London, doesn't really smell like anything else. Definitely warmer and sweeter than London though -- and while London sings to you in the velvety tones of a cello, Brit announces itself with the bright, upper-register voice of a violin. I could wear both forever. Absolutely love the bottle, too.

BalMan by Pierre Balmain

Somewhat faceless, fresh fruity-tobacco-y thing. I don't see any similarities to D&G PH other than the tobacco note lurking in the background. This one is far less citrusy, much sweeter, and there are many more notes fighting for attention.The bargain-basement prices for which this goes probably also reflects the budget that poor Antoine Maisondieu was likely given to compose this disappointing outing. If you're already a frag collector, you will smell the ghosts of many scents past in this -- yet no clear identity of its own. Pass.

Just Me for Men by Paris Hilton

This is a really nice modern EDT that avoids the synthetic, metallic head-hurting freshness of the last decade. Sadly, it isn't terribly original -- its bergamot-heavy crispness is heavily reminiscent of Aqua di Gio, which came out a decade earlier. Its slightly heavier on the floral and fruity elements though -- ever so slightly. The bottom line, though, is that in spite of the dreaded PH brand and an equally dreadful sprayer (that requires you to practically whack it with a hammer -- whereupon it sprays the juice all over like a garden hose), this smells really, really good. There's simply no arguing with that.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Wow! Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. London is technically an oriental flirting with gourmand, but unlike most orientals, it can work in just about any kind of weather -- it's a "cool" oriental rather than a warm one, as it avoids the cinammon and vanilla overdose that renders most orientals cold-weather-scents only. I can't think of a single other thing that smells quite like this -- it's crisp, cool, woody, and rich all at once, and both modern and timeless. This one will not date with the passage of time. Simply brilliant and one of my top 10. Antoine Maisondieu -- I salute you.

miette769's avatar

Purple Patchouli by Tom Ford

I didn’t know what to expect when I purchased this, the name just sounded yummy. The opening is something floral and sparkly, which I can only assume is the orchid accord melding sweetly with it citrus counterpart. The two of them linger for 45 minutes or so until succumbing to the amber and Peru balsam. The funny thing I get with this scent is an ever present honey note. It’s not, “knock your hat off ninja in the face” like Serge’s Miel de bois or anything. It just makes the fragrance surprising and charming in its dry down. I can’t say that the fragrance vanishes; more that I forget it’s there until I move and catch it by surprise. Make sense? And, that quick hello is soft, human and lovely in its greeting. It’s subtle and I think modern, unlike the Peace & Patchouli of Haight and Ashbury, San Francisco.

SirSlarty's avatar

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

Good EdC, fantastic citrus. Just be wary that dry skin seems to soak this up and the scent is gone after an hour.

SirSlarty's avatar

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

A dry smoky woods with a soft sweetness to it. I clearly smell the vetiver intermingling with the rest. A very encompassing warm scent.

kafka_franz30's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Gendarme Sky by Gendarme

Too strong for me unlike other Gendarme scents I have. Gives me a headache but I am very sensitive to perfumes in general. Also smells too much like soap to me.

Bigsly's avatar

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

Smells nice but I don't like lavender, and this has too much for me. It's "generic," but the ingredients seem to be high quality, as you would expect. I wear what I like, regardless of what's "in style," but I don't like this type of fragrance so I can't give it a positive rating. I can understand how others would say that it is nothing special, and that Chanel should create more unique fragrances, but it's not like there is any shortage of fragrance variety these days, so it doesn't mean much to me. I would be more concerned about dynamism. This isn't dynamic enough for me, even if I liked all the notes. Actually, the closest fragrance I wear to this one these days is Sport Field by Adidas (which is sort of like a light version Montana Parfum d'Homme, but a bit more complex). So, I am obviously more interested in notes and construction than quality of ingredients. You may have the opposite view.

My old "newbie" review, which was negative:

Like Connoisseur, I also got a "strange sickly, pungent, rotting garbage smell," only it was "synthetic" on top of that! This is what I call a "challenge frag." It challenges your olfactory limits, and whatever you do, do not smell it up close on the skin! So, try before you buy this one, and wear it more than once before you buy a full size bottle. You might like it, and that's fine, just make sure you actually do like it, and don't get convinced that you like it after one wearing.

31st August, 2008 (Last Edited: 20th February, 2010)

Ericks's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

It's a great smell. Different from anything I smelled so far. It's kind of sweet in a refreshing way. I use it when going to the office though I think it suits best in the evening. It doesn't hold long though. After a few hours you can hardly notice it. That's why I first apply a good layer of body lotion on my neck and arm pits, rub it in and then spray L'Homme on it. By this it holds significantly longer.

's avatar

Essential by Lacoste

Nice stuff.
    I really can't say more. You know, sometimes it doesn't have to be complicated or dreadfully expensive to smell good. A little over-used, though.

's avatar

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

I was given a sample of this one last year in a department store.

I found it altogether pleasant. It smelled very clean and fresh, and, though it is also quite sweet, it was nothing I would call 'cloying.'
    It was unfortunately bland. It's a nice change from the run of the mill, and I think it is much better than 'Le Male,' which reminds me of black pepper and body odour, but it's nothing too special.

The salesperson who gave me the sample (a bit of a shark in her approach, really) told me that "this is for someone who is brave," that wearing a floral scent is courageous for a man. I, however, think it's the opposite; bravery involves actually wearing a woman's scent. Buying a scent so obviously feminine because it is being sold as a man's cologne is, well, wimpy.

So, if you like pretty flowers, you better just skip Fleur du Male and get yourself a real woman's floral. If you want to smell feminine whilst hiding behind the 'pour homme' label printed on the bottle, I suppose you should go for this.

iRate's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

Well I'll admit it, I've never tried this fragrance before and I'm almost as old as it is!

In the search for a new scent recently I gave it a go at a local Department store and was very disappointed. A hotch-potch of scents that seemed way too overpowering but when I returned to work the response from colleagues was very positive. This scent takes time to work its magic! I went straight back and bought a bottle and it's been in constant use since.

A very sophisticated, clean and long-lasting fragrance that suits me to a tee. To think I wasted all that time on weak summery fragrances until now. As old as it is, this is a fragrance that stands out from the crowd.

I'm new to this forum and it will take time for me to learn all the terminology and subtleties of what makes a good fragrance. At this early stage in my development all I can say is that this is a real winner.

RepeatDisc's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

This fragrance is incredibly strong, I admit when I first smelled it off a test strip I pulled away like I'd just been slapped. I love wood scents, and they mix well here, but I was a bit unsure of whether or not I wanted to test this fragrance on my arm. Sure enough, Dirty English is easy to accidentally over-apply, and no-where near the realm of subtle. If you really love those woody scents and decide to pick this up, I recommend being extremely cautious with your application -- staining and over-scenting is easy to pull with this one.

Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

This is a nice fragrance well into drydown; lot's of sweet leather, but getting there is a confused mess. The opening is too overbearing; too strong. What is pineapple doing in this frag, it doesn't add anything positive. If you can apply it and wait a couple of hours, this has nice basenotes.

31st August, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 September, 2009)

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

A blast of green at the open, and the green stays for a long time. Settles down to a clean, somwhat green with great basenotes of musk, honey, moss. The first fragrance I truly fell in love with (some 20 odd years ago). Today it seems tremendously powerful; it's a bit of a challenge getting just one "small spritz" that fits my chemistry. Lasts forever. When used judiciously, this is a great addition to anyone's collection.

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

Nothing stupendous, but quite nice. Won't offend anyone. Very good longevity. A bit too syrupy sweet.

31st August, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 September, 2009)

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Unlikely to offend anyone. Light woodsy. Pretty simple. A bit synthetic smelling. A bit sweet and boring. Won't buy it again.

31st August, 2008 (Last Edited: 25 September, 2008)

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Kind of smells like rosemary and cucumber. What a strange scent. Smell first before buying.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Woodsy and sweet (but not over-the-top sweet). Smells pretty much the same after a short dry down. Good lasting power on me. Projects well. A really nice woodsy, spicy, somewhat sweet fragrance. A very nice scent for a man.

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Citrus/aquatic scent. Not my taste at all.

The Sniffles's avatar

Rush by Gucci

I've tried this perfume on in the store because it was supposed to be ambery and musky. At first it smelled really good and intoxicating, then it started to smell off/weird, then it started to smell like cat pee (not kidding), after every attempt known to me to try to remove this perfume it WOULD NOT GO AWAY! (the cat pee smell). Never again will i step anywhere this this perfume.

Jaguar (original) by Jaguar

I am a Jaguar fanatic. I own two XJs at the moment and sold a third last year. I assure you that this influenced my decision to purchase this bottle blindly, but not my appreciation of the fragrance. It is an absolutely distinctive, luxuriant fragrance, one that still stands out in my collection, which has become quite extensive. I would characterize the dry down as vanilla, moss, toasted wood, fresh cut grass, orange peel. It is only vaguely powdery, medium-high sweetness, and pleasant. It's a scent that just belongs together with a Sunday afternoon driving around an restored XKE with the top down, or a saturday at the racing green in Saratoga or Churchill Downs. It's a fragrance that WILL get compliments, perfect for a casual (but not totally informal) day out on the town. I suspect

The silage on this fragrance is phenomenal and endurance is long, so use sparingly. Since basenotes.net claims that this is discontinued and I can't find it many places, I will buy a backup bottle from the website where I purchased my first, although it may take several years to use up the first. Strongly recommended for the Jaguar enthusiast or those fond of strolls in the arboretum, afternoons in the museum, those occasions where you want something impressive and pleasant without being too formal or too playful.

Dunhill by Dunhill

This made me a Dunhill fan - to my own detriment, as I love Pursuit, but have not enjoyed Fresh, Pure or Desire. I could describe this as nothing other than business casual. It is a geranium musk, hits of rose and sandalwood, only a hint of sweetness on drydown. The fragrance is so fresh and invigorating that it is a bit of a disappointment that it has rather limited silage and does not last all day. However, it is not in every circumstance that a lovely fragrance needs to last for 10 hours. I would wear this for an evening to the movies - or an evening in, cooking a romantic meal for my wife. It truly stands out as one of my top recommendations.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

A nice, intensely elegant musk with very formal and somewhat powdery dry-down hinting at vanilla, citrus rind, black tea. It is of medium sweetness. Limited silage and medium endurance.