Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Susannon's avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

I had never heard of Mitsouko until today when I read a review in The Times where it was said to be the best perfume ever, Number One. So I had to go and buy it. Unfortunately, it had to be ordered so I tried the tester. I was immediately hit with the strangeness of the scent, and then I fell in love.

It had the most remarkable effect on me. I went from being 'OK, a bit down, it is raining so ho hum' to feeling fabulous. I went shopping for clothes, not something I do without a sigh, and felt wonderful, found some great stuff, looked marvellous in it.

Now, I put this all down to this stupendous perfume. It is nothing like old ladies on me, it is nothing like anything I have ever smelt before. It is classy, elegant, wonderful, woody/green and yet a bit flowery and a bit spicy. It is all things, however, it is not youthful, I do agree about that. I think it is for a woman (or man I note) who is settled in their skin. I love the fact that it has no relation to the sea or to melons, both of which I hate in perfumes. I want to smell like a woman, and although it doesn't do that in the same way that No. 5 does, it does make me smell like a very expensive woman, who loves to shop. Hooray! How bad can a world be that has Mitsouko in it?

There are other perfumes that are strangely unique - I think of Poison in this category which always makes me think that the person wearing it has some awful disease like leprosy, and Flowers by Kenzo which I wear a lot because I can't work out what alchemy it effects on my skin and I also can't work out what I am smelling most of the time - I like that. However, as you can probably tell, Mitsouko is my complete unique smell favourite.

31st August, 2008

flaminghomer's avatar

OS Signature by Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

Ran across this in the drug store (I know...scent snobs will be horrified!). At first I was put off by the Old Spice connection, but I sprayed it on my arm and walked around for awhile. I decided for $12, how could I go wrong? It's a bit strong at first, but after the drydown, it's a nice spicy/fruity scent that's lasts a long time on me (I have some kind of corossive skin chemistry that destroys most scents after about half an hour). I usually go for more woody/leathery scents, so this was something new for me.

Beware: use it sparingly! One spritz on the body and 'half a spritz' on the wrists is plenty. Probably better for fall and winter since it's a bit heavy.

31st August, 2008

Shaheen's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

A very nice fragrance. It's not an "aquatic" in the soapy or super fresh sense. This fragrance is smooth with a watery texture, and all of the notes are blended extremely well. I especially like what I interpret as a sweet pipe tobacco accord in the base. I wear this one quite often, especially during warmer weather.

EDIT:

I should note that after posting the above review, I finally had the opportunity to sample Creed Green Irish Tweed. I agree that Cool Water is an attempt at copying this fragrance (or at least its top notes). Upon spraying GIT, Cool Water immediately came to mind. But where GIT is green and vibrant, Cool Water is "blue" and drab. As a matter of fact, GIT has almost completely ruined Cool Water for me, as it now smells very synthetic, like a chemical-spill version of the Creed fragrance. Because of this, I must change my review rating from Thumbs Up to Neutral.

My bottle of Cool Water has since been replaced by the (albeit much more expensive) real deal. Damn you Green Irish Tweed! >:(

31st August, 2008 (Last Edited: 13 February, 2011)

Jivago 24k Men by Jivago

An aromatic fougere that opens a little too strongly as far as I’m concerned. That very first blast is too artificial for me, but it does lose its plastic aggressiveness very quickly and settles down to a fully sniffable green fougere opening. The aromatic label is well-deserved and the airiness contributes nicely to the ambiance of the fragrance. I believe there might be a little lavender in the opening that provides just the right touch of richness to the opening freshness. The “spices” are on the herbal end of the spice scale and they accent the fougereness of 24K. It is a rich fougere scent and the name is appropriate. There is no distinct heart accord so the top / heart forms one quite long lasting accord. When the base appears it shows itself as a light skin hugging sandalwood / vetiver / sweet accord that is very nice but which should deliver a much stronger presence for a longer period of time. Jivago 24K is a pleasant, rather rich fougere that has few flaws, but it is ultimately non-challenging and it just doesn’t rise above a 6 on a scale of 10. The liquid in the bottle contains gold flecks and about the only thing they accomplish for me is the uneasy feeling that they are going to plug up the spray mechanism.

31st August, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 January, 2014)