Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

1000 Kisses Deep by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

A rich, heady, myrrh-infused scent designed to symbolise a long and happy marriage (and the name comes from a song by Leonard Cohen). There is also a lovely, fruity, osmanthus note and a soapy dry-down that makes it a good alternative masculine.

03rd August, 2008 (Last Edited: 17th June, 2009)

Miami Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

Funny that Taolady says this doesn't smell of suntan lotion - I, on the other hand, get a very clear "Hawaiian Tropic"-vibe from this (but I don't mind; it's nostalgia to the 80s all the way!). Very enjoyable summer fragrance and one of the first celebrity scents I allowed myself to try without wrinkling my snobbish little nose. Glad I did! Now I don't want to use the last of it because then it'll all be gone!

Alien by Thierry Mugler

One of the best Jasmine perfumes ever, period. It's a sultry, but not sickly, powdery, but not suffocating, lovely, sexy close-to-the-skin scent. Extremely sensual without being vulgar and very comfortable to wear. Gets lots of compliments too, which is a bonus!

Cherish by Ghost

Surprisingly pretty, if quite simplistic. Soapy, fresh, sweet floral; very wearable - would suit summer, sports and anyone who wants to smell pretty without being too "perfumed". Reminiscent of shower gel and hand soap fragrances, rather than of complex perfumes.

Blu Mediterraneo Fico di Amalfi by Acqua di Parma

This is an accomplished, fresh, extremely wearable fig with enough of a citrus-kick to pep up the hottest, muggiest day. Diptyque's fig scent is a more "pure" fig, if you like, but I do think there is room for both (unlike some have suggested below).

Fico di Amalfi body lotion is such a treat layered underneath too; absolutely mouthwatering, zingy and fresh. Completely unisex too, although on a man, I can see this scent being little less sweet and perhaps a tad more "humdrum".

Nina (new) by Nina Ricci

It really does smell like a toffee apple... almost for the whole development of the scent. The opening is scrumptious and fresh (with, dare I say, distinct lack of any kind of "naff" apple note, which I was afraid of), but this fades too fast. Then it's several hours of sweet toffee apple; yup, that's all there is to Nina. My husband loves the way it smells on me, I'm in two minds about it.

Intimately Beckham Women by Beckham

I wish the nose(s) behind "Intimately Beckham Women" would have shown this juice to someone else. Why? Because, I guess I'm a snob, and just can't bring myself to buy "Beckham merchandise".

This is a lovely, fairly uncomplicated, flattering, feminine scent that would probably suit most ages and personalities. The lily is noticeable, so avoid if you're not a fan of lily scents. Or the Beckhams ...

Eternity for Men by Calvin Klein

i cant stand this smell .... it is associated with somehting bad to me !!!!! i dont like it at all ....

03rd August, 2008 (Last Edited: 05th August, 2009)

Hugo by Hugo Boss

When i first smelled it (10 years ago) i wanted to drink it :) .... i have great memories wearing this fragrance .... but now i'd rather smell it than wear it !!!!!!!!

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

One of my top 5 fragrances ..... smells very nice ....not too sweet...not cloying at all ... some sharp note that makes it perfect for men ..... long lasting and reasonable sillage .... women find it sexy .... the synthytic fruity smell makes it even better ..... it also smells clean and a little bit soapy ..... i like this scent

03rd August, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th August, 2009)

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

The first impression you get out of this fragarnce is that "What a Great Smell" ..... fresh, long lasting and very good sillage.... i really like the openning as well as the dry down ..... i wear it in summer , the beatiful thing that you keep smelling it every now and then specially when you get a little bit sweaty ....

It is one of the fragrances i finished the bottle without getting bored of .....

03rd August, 2008 (Last Edited: 19th August, 2009)

Envy Me by Gucci

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ...... i like this fragrance so much ...it turns me ON ..... my wife usually wear it when she wants to get my ultimate attension ....

vintage*red's avatar

Le De by Givenchy

Givenchy loved Audrey Hepburn and that fact is evident in his perfumes of that era. Le De and L'Interdit are a little thin, but very beautiful! Soft, feminine floral scents that speak simply in spite of being very complex...Givenchy III has a slight edge to it, but never looses that soft, almost transparent feeling. This fragrance is great to try if you are a little unsure about wearing a chypre. This trio is a great for the perfume novice. In fact, these are great fragrances to try again.

vintage*red's avatar

Gold by Donna Karan

I have a love/hate relationship with this one. When the drydown gets no farther than watery cucumbers ( a scent better for the kitchen than actually ON someone), I hate it. When the drydown gets through the cucumber to amber lily, I LOVE it in spite of the fact that I am not passionate about many florals. Long lasting and especially good for summer, Gold doesn't seem common to me. It's really kinda nice!

CoL's avatar

Costume National 21 by Costume National

Outstanding! At last Ennio Capassa returns to roots of the original and superb, Costume National Scent! This has a similar structure to the original but this time its kinda milky and creamy. As if the original scent was dropped in some custard! Lasts an age too. I'm already on my second bottle!

Well the_good_life it's 2010 and this certainly aint forgotten! I think this has to be one of the best fragrances ever created! Go on, give it another sniff! ;o)

04th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 20th February, 2010)

Kisa's avatar

Crêpe de Chine by Long Lost Perfume

My second fragrance, age 19, year 1969. I picked this one out after an exhaustive, months long search through parfumeries in Paris. When I returned to NYC the next year, I found ads for Crepe de Chine on the city buses. One read, "If you are wearing Crepe de Chine, this is your bus." Another showed a half-empty bottle and read "By this time, you should have quite a past." Made me feel very worldy and sophisticated.

Two Hearts Beating As One by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

Notes from the description of the website:
    jasmine, rose, orange blossom neroli, neroli flowers, ylang, Celery, Vetiver,sandalwood.

The site describes the battle of the rose and the jasmine, and what I get is a cheap floral smell that might be geranium or some other flower that smells rather harsh and green. I can see if you try really hard you might get something of rose and maybe they wanted to go for something like Voleur De Rose from L' Artisan. A more damp and earthy rose scent? If they did they got it so wrong. I don't detect any jasmine either, just this awful smelling geranium note that makes it smell liek cheap floral soap.

This is the type of perfume that makes people want to ban it from places, it's migraine inducing.

Cocktail by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

Notes mentioned on the site: Ylang absolute , calanga petals, Mediterranean jasmine, rose absolute, orange flowers, oak moss, sandalwood.

This is heavy on the ylang and it is mixed with something purple, I would say lavaner more thabn jasmine though. Either way the ylang dominates and together with the oak moss it creates something very nice that tries to imitate ' classic' perfumes (aldehydes) and comes across very mature and elegant but it's perfectly wearable. I doubt that many women will enjoy this below age 16 but they could.

People have responded saying I smell of food and spiceyness and I think it is because it evokes the feeling of elegance and comfort without being a real gourmand perfume.

It is something different and very pleasant and very purple.

Ladyboy by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

Notes from the site:
    banana absolute, violets,seaweed

The site mentions of banana absolute hasn't been used in perfume before, which the basenotes directory search proves wrong immediatly. Sure it might not be an absolute, but I doubt what they are working with can be called an absolute either.

They further on say that the banana is responsible for the fruitbasket smell. I bet it is, but it's a decaying fruitbasket. And not even the typical smell of rotten fruit that is too sweet but still kind of nice. This is pure decayed fruitbasket, as in everything is green and it's not really fruit there but more a whole new ecosystem of bacterie and fungus type of smell, with a hint of rotten fruit.

Adding the violet doesn't help either and I never noticed anything of seaweed. While Lolita Lempicka uses it nicely in a warm gourmand way, and many other perfumes are able to use it in a pleasant but notiuceable way. LadyBoy doesn't.

To be honest, the description doesn't match the scent at all, which irritates even more than if the description matches ( read the descriptions on the site for all perfumes, iin this case you have 7 paragraphs on the fictional character of ladyboy or other people who could wear and only one of them goes into how the perfume *actually* smells). So here is my version of it :

Ladyboy would be more a boy who was changed into a woman in some cheap exotic place and during the surgery on his face his sense of smell was damaged so he never noticed the decaying fruitbasket and maybe some dying mammals in the vicinity.

Allure Eau de Parfum by Chanel

What a difference the level of concentration makes! It's night and day, betwen the EDT and EDP, honest. With the EDT I could only smell generic alcohol and couldn't understand for the life of me why they had called it "Allure". I would've called it "Meh".
    But then came the Eau de Parfum. Oh, joy. The richness, the florals, the basenotes, everything fell right into place. Definitely all woman, really rich and classy. It's a classic, and it's an instant go-to scent. I've been coveting it ever since it was released, although at 27 I feel I still have a little maturing to do before I can wear it with 100% comfort. I LOVE IT, though, I really really do.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

Plainly ans simply put: This fragrance is heavy with musk, bitter to my nose, and it completely turns me away from any woman wearing it.
    In a way it reminds me of an old brand we have here called "Musk Oil", which I guess was very heavy on synthetic musk... and I've always found it to be a complete turn-off, scent-wise.
    Then again, chypres rarely work for me.. I just thought from the shape of the bottle and the title that it would be much softer than it really is.
    I'm sorry to say, but this one is a no-go for me.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this one yet!
    This is such an unusual scent, even though 1001 imitations have sprung out since its release.
    First, design-wise: this may very well be one of the best designed perfume bottles EVER. The cleanliness and sleekness, the unexpected metallic element, it is such a jewel to have making an elegant statement on the dresser. I wish more designers would take this approach to their perfume bottles. Now,on to the scent.
    Let people call it lipstick. When it first hit my skin, I said: "wow, this is going to work!". I was intrigued by the contrast between the sweet, powdery iris and this note I identified as black pepper but may be cardamom mingling with something else - leather, perhaps? I immeditaly had a vision of a woman like Grace Jones, somehwere inbetween the gender definitions, but beautiful, man or woman. Now I smell it on more guys than I did a couple of years ago, and it's very flattering on the skin.
    I wear it, sparingly, probably not often enough to buy a bottle, but it's always there winking at me as I walk up to the cosmetics counter in a drugstore... especially before a night out. It can work perfectly as an evening scent for both men and women. Now, how many fragrances you can say that about? Dior Homme is such a gem!

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

It isn't as good as the original Allure EDP. There's something they added to it that's synthetic, makes it much more generic, hollow... somehow cheapening it. The vision I get from it is going to one of those ultra-modern, HUGE pick-up bars. Something that is modern, well-designed, well-packaged and wannabe sophisticated, but it lacks richness, innuendo, true class. It smells like an immitation of the real thing, and that I do not appreciate.

stuigi's avatar

Rochas Lui by Rochas

What Trebor said about it being what Gucci Pour Homme wanted to be is so very accurate. This is a very masculine scent and I don't get the floral notes at all. Jenson made a good point about it creating an aura of fine automobiles, perhaps from the wood panels of such. All in all a great creation.

cpk's avatar

Greece Greece

Rossy de Palma / Eau de Protection by Etat Libre d'Orange

Goes to show how putting on a perfume is comletely subjective! When I tried this (befire reading any reviews nor the composition) I got an almost artificial top note (bezoin?) which together with something sweet reminded me of berries. Later on the rose emerged, but what a wonderful rose! Fresh but not from the garden. Fresh from the florist's refrigerator. The closest thing to the combined smells of flowers in a florist. Nothing like cheap bulgarian rose, at least to me. The problem is that like all ELdP perfumes the drydown is flat and kind of old-lady like.

moreda's avatar

GFF Uomo by Gianfranco Ferré

I am still suprised that ferre launched this scent!

moreda's avatar

Gieffeffe by Gianfranco Ferré

Too floral and feminine scent for a unisex. Nice and nothing really that special.

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

The first chemicals kick you away all off a sudden. These are not saffron and coriander; i have eaten much of them. This is just a disturbing chemical. After five minutes i put my courage on to bring my nose closer. Now it is softened and become a mild insecticide smell. After an other ten minutes florals begin to come to stage. First magnolia then jasmin. The scent is like mixture of florals and insecticide. What a big ambivalence for a poor bee...

If i got to be fair, I cannot say that it has no attractiveness. It is original and extraordinary. It does not resemble to many others. It is strong and has a character. Reminds me here the marvelous face of Uma Thurman. Not cute not tender, a kind of beauty; mostly strong and attractive. If the story was ended here i would hive a big thumbs up to this scent.

But after an hour comes the basenote; spicy amber. That is the point i began to take saffron and coriander which is really mild and suitable. But after that time it is not so good and does not resemble to Uma...

Infini by Caron

Though the one i hold in my hand is an boxed sample of caron i had deep suspects that bottle is filled with something else. I have nothing green or floral from it. Opens with a leathery smoky aura which turns out to be a rich and nice oakmoss. Then rises carnations and jasmin in an old (i mean not with their actual smells but their old way representations) but nice way. It is a bit spicy and sweet probably due to carnations but carnations are not over powered cloying clovers as in many of coevals. For me it has the best parts of mitsouko and le heure bleu (oakmoss jasmin carnations) and lacks the cloying disturbing part of them (neroli and begamot representative old heavy oils). It is one of the still wearable oldies for me.

Agent Provocateur Eau Emotionelle by Agent Provocateur

It is so light and transparent that becomes a trace of floral lotion odor very quickly. It has no point of interest.