Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Blue Jeans by Versace

The citrus, cedar, and musk are clear. I'm also getting spices but I can't distinguish any individually. I also swear I smell some chocolate and mint but I guess not. Anywho, this is a nice anytime, anywhere scent. It's a little more Obsession than it is Happy, but it does balance fresh and spicy nicey nice. Kind of a jack of all trades, master of none.

Michael Jordan by Michael Jordan

Even considering the price, I can't in good conscience give this a thumbs up. Still, there's never a reason to wear an axe when you've got mediocre cologne like this. It's kinda spicey and kinda fresh. There are probably too many notes in there, and they probably aren't the highest quality, but it is interesting. If purchased cheaply enough this could make a good gym bag smell.

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

This smells terrific. It's a grassy green smell with a light, but not white, musk at the end. However, a major flaw is how quickly it vanishes. Maybe it's because my skin drinks fragrance, but I could soak myself in this and not smell it two hours later (and neither would anyone else, I've asked). If your skin holds a frag well or you know some magic tricks then this is great for you, but I will not be getting a second bottle.

Truth Calvin Klein Men by Calvin Klein

This has something in common with cK be, but smells like there's more going on, in a good way. There's a fruity green freshness that feels "right" about this. However, it's got the one flaw that many summery, fresh, aquatics have, it doesn't last at all. I have a splash mini so I've got to figure out how to get this on my clothes without looking stupid.

I suppose I could wear a mask.

See, cause the joke is that it's my face that...

moving on.

In conclusion, if you wouldn't mind carrying around a decant, it's a five star smell, but without that luxury, it's thumbs left for me.

Cool Water by Davidoff

I had heard a lot good about this perfume and finally purchased it. Well...honestly, it didn't impress me at all. Middle and Base notes are cheap smelling and smells like I am sitting in an air-conditioned bus whose seat cushion are new and air has less Oxygen. I hate it as it makes my head heavy.

Although opening note is fresh but way too overpowering and always gives me a headache. Although I get some compliments wearing it....but for me....its totally thumbs down. For every day wear in summer.....I prefer Aqua Di Geo.....especially for office wear.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Agarwood Agarwood and Agarwood.......This is most prominent note in this fragrance. Dry down is awesome with good longevity and high sillage. Opening notes are difficult to bear....but....once it settles down.....you enjoy it a lot. I can smell it on me even after 12 hours.....which is excellent on my skin. Although i get a hint of spices with base notes but mostly its all agarwood.

It is a very masculine fragrance and I seldom use it....only for special times. Some people don't like it but for me its worth wearing....but....definitely not a daily wear fragrance

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Oh I love this beauty. Sweet floral opening with citrus notes and base notes are a wonderful blend of spices. Infact its spicy base notes make me warm and lay a soothing effect on me. Although its longevity is good but has low Sillage. It is very good at night times (at cool and calm places) and I use it for special occeasions....Thumbs Up for this one

pasha's avatar

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Yes, this scent is most certainly not amber-y at all, but it is a very well-blended and mixed juice that does not transform all that much, but still smells expensive and unique.

Let me tell you: this will not change with your skin chemistry. It is soapy, and very thick, like a blanket of some sort with great longevity, but you are not going to get the 'on my skin it smells like turpentine and lilies' type of thing. It is authentic yet a bit synthetic, chic yet a bit loud, rich yet a bit cloying, masculine yet a bit unusual.

I do not believe that there is anybody who can condemn this scent as being a 'bad' fragrance. You will either like it, or you won't. It is minimalist, on point and direct. But it is true: it is not going to be as crowd-pleasing as Prada's feminine signature scent. But this is just like Prada's male clothing, or their whole masculine philosophy: I think they really want to remain exclusive and slightly elusive with their image as what a Prada man should be. And this scent suits him.

This scent can even be described as selfish, because you're either going to love it, or hate it. It has no tolerance, and believe me, there may be, quite likely, people around you that will not enjoy this smell. Nonetheless, I think this is indeed a great creation, and addition to my wardrobe as I always enjoy wearing it whenever my hand searches for the bottle with the violet juice in.

tonysoprano100's avatar

Chile Chile

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

Great brand, great product, great fragance.
    L instant is a perfume absolutly wearable, specially in cold weather, in my view of course.
    Romantic style with a tremendous longevity and sillage on my skin. Again....bravo Guerlain.

tonysoprano100's avatar

Chile Chile

Mandarina Duck Man by Mandarina Duck

Nice fresh smell, for an afternoon summer vacation . Not very classy, but confortable and relaxing.
    I recommend it for teenagers

Eau Parfumée au Thé Vert by Bulgari

Boring and bland. Compared to ck One? ck One is a vibrant citrus while Thé Verte is a blank, pale green wall. Several people told me that "it smells like perfume". How non-descript can you get?

Héritage by Guerlain

Guerlain sure makes some good feminine perfumes. They keep making the same things over and over. Uh, oh... yeah this is a men's fragrance. Good for formal wear I suppose but everyone else there would probably be wearing it if they had any class. Disgustingly bright up close in the opening. Better to be smelled from far away. Absolutely not my style but it looks like it works for others.

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Classic. Strong pine musk that teeters on the edge of a feminine oriental fragrance. If I weren't such a fragrance junkie, I wouldn't go any further than smelling Polo and wear it all my life.

Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren

Take one of Ralph Lauren's original polo shirts, drench it in the original Polo fragrance, lay it out in the sun for a week then rub it in some fresh patchouli leaves. There! You get the formula for Polo Crest! Haha... amazing stuff.

Eau Parfumée au Thé Blanc by Bulgari

The perfume equivalent of Robert Rauschenberg's all white paintings. Even without having looked at the pyramid I smelled white musk, some pepper and tea. Soft and clean and very calming. Warning: it's put me to sleep while wearing it to work.

Cool Water Deep by Davidoff

Nice, simple, fresh, light though doesn't last. Really reminded me of other generic "blue" fragrances but doesn't repulse me. A mix of many other colognes.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Decent fresh aquatic. Nothing special other than the fact that it's the aquatic that aquatic haters love to love.

04th August, 2008 (Last Edited: 16th June, 2009)

Ariane by Avon

On me, eau de grandma's closet.

Rare Gold by Avon

All my best notes: honey, amber, vanilla, musk, orange blossom. I can't wear many Avons, but I DO like this one.

White Shoulders by Elizabeth Arden

I have no experience with the original version. But, this latest is eau de grandma's closet. It turns on some people, too.

For some odd reason, a couple of people have made me presents of this. I don't wear it. I have also been told it smells similar to Joy. It doesn't.

Joy by Jean Patou

On me, Joy smells like a dewy, fresh, early spring day, where I was raised, in the Midwest. For about fifteen minutes, until it vanishes, anyway. I find it extremely romantic, and lush, in an old-fashioned, high-fashion way.

Because it reminds me of spring in my childhood state, it always inspired me with a pleasant and joyous feeling of nostalgia. I finally found out that it contains a strong note of lily-of-the-valley. That would explain it.:-)

That being said, I love the way it smells-- beautiful and old-style glamorous. But, I cannot wear it. I wear Orientals well. Soli or floral bouquets just disappear. (sigh)

Thumps up, for women who can wear it.

Molinard de Molinard by Molinard

Woody floral with a fresh green note. Very feminine-- one of the few woody florals that I can wear. Very elegant and classy. Leaves a lovely wake.

I used to wear this to flamenco dance classes, back when I was a bellydancer in night club shows. Another dancer asked me what the dazzling scent was, every time I wore it. Every, Single, Time.

Desert Flower by Shulton

Horrible story about this scent.

When I was a 14-tear ofd girl, I wore this, sometimes. It always smelled pretty and pleasant to my unsophisticated, child nose.

Then, one day, it turned on me, when I was playing volleyball with friends. I don't know if it was because I was in my period, or because I had been exercising heavily. But, think: sweetish, rotting, fruit amid assorted garbage, ripening under an August sun.

I had to go home and take a shower.

Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Pineapple upside=down cake. I wouldn't wear it to smell sexy, but I DO like it.l

newday117's avatar

No. 5 Eau Première by Chanel

They are holding a bottle for me at Nordstrom. I believe the release date is end of August, and I cannot wait. This is truly a remarkable,uplifting fragrance. I am in love.

Bigsly's avatar

Bogart pour Homme by Jacques Bogart

I found that this is too strong if sprayed on the chest; one spray to just above the navel seems best. Otherwise, it can smell "synthetic" and overpowering. I think it would work better if it was just a bit drier and had more of a dusty quality, and I can see why some would think it too sweet. However, once I came to find sweet fragrances appealing, I didn't find this to be too sweet. My guess is that this fragrance is good to use as a test. If it's too strong for you, you should avoid all the strong ones, whereas if it's a bit weak, you are a "power frag" person. The only thing I don't like about it is its "linear" quality. After a while, it gets boring to me, like the common citrus-woody "masculine" fragrances do (for me). It just doesn't have that extra special something a linear fragrance needs to keep you interested. Another Bogart fragrance, Witness, is a dusty lavender/cinnamon that doesn't get boring. Perhaps it's just the effect the tobacco smell has on me, and others may not feel this way. I'll give it a positive rating because it's certainly a great value. However, I do find other fragrances much more appealing, so I don't have much interest in wearing this often.

chaoskitty's avatar

Covet Pure Bloom Sarah Jessica Parker by Sarah Jessica Parker

I own this, and like it, but nowhere near as much as the original Covet. The woman in the shop tried to stop me even having the slightest sniff of the top notes on the basis that , "it's too strong to begin with, but it gets really delicate". I think her definition of delicate must be somewhat different to mine. Though it absolutely smells more feminised than the original Covet (which while not totally unisex seems wearable by a man), it doesn't seem at all delicate.
    The top notes of plum, mandarin and coconut water I'm assuming are supposed to give it a tropical fruity floral kick. However, they seem to be the most transient top notes of any scent I've tried. Usually it takes about half an hour or so for me to be able to smell the middle section, but it was under ten minutes on the first go with this.
    Thus the kick is more of a prod and it goes all floral (as the name suggests). It's very like a bouquet on me. I like it, but it's going into my work scents pile rather than the wonderful pleasure pile.

bbBD's avatar

Concentré D'Orange Verte by Hermès

I can't possibly give a better review than the 3-4 that precede this (especially JaimeB's). I personally DO find the concentree to be similar to it's brother, especially in its refreshing, pungent opening that makes the fragrance. There is perhaps more breadth of citrus, such as mango, in the concentree. It's not just grapefruit and orange. Whereas the EdC is gone in a half hour, having done its job of cooling me off after a walk in the Texas heat, EdT continues developing, becoming mossy and woodsy. I would, and do, wear concentree as a daily fragrance.

bbBD's avatar

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

Glad I found this! Ice*Men flew under my radar until I recently began seeking fragrances with coffee notes. The beauty is in its simplicity... the initial notes truly smell like ice coffee, albeit with a spicy twinge (like spiked ice coffee) provided by nutmeg. The top notes persist for a while, melding beautifully with a mild patchouli base that is as simple and distinct a patchouli note as you'll find anywhere. The balance of spice, lightly sweet coffee, and light woods makes Ice*Men very unique and enjoyable.

TWO thumbs up!

ToughCool's avatar

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

I'm with SirSlarty here. I've tried it twice and both times it has been terrible. I'm not sure what soap inspired him..Borax..but it went on weakly, was boring, was like dirty soap water and really was bad on my skin. Even when I asked the SA about it she shook her head no. So I can't think why this would be so popular.