Fragrance Reviews from August 2008

Saeid's avatar

Iran Iran

Insensé Ultramarine by Givenchy

This is the first Colonge bottle i had...well back in the days when i was like 9 years old ..my mom bought a givenchy perfume and sellers gave me this as so called GIFT ITEM..any way..this was the first cologne i ever smelt out from the bottle..i fell in love with it...though at that time i did not know English at all...so i couldn't read the however i always remembered shape and the coluor of the cologne and now that i finally saw this cologne here i finally remembered what its name is.i am going to buy this from the first cologne shop that has this ...This is the best cologne i have ever smelt ....the best ...i have no idea how long it last..but according to other reviewers ..it last long..but for the smell u will fall in love with it....my advice is ...people don't buy this cologne ...( i am saying this selfishly ..because i want to be the only guy in the world who smells this way...) hehehe ..

d34dluk3's avatar

Jake by Hollister

is it complex and interesting? not really

on the other hand, it's a great smelling, intoxicating brew guaranteed to be a hit with teenage and young 20s girls.

d34dluk3's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

pungent, woody, masculine. i love this stuff!

on a side note, i love to put 3-5 sprays on my chest before i go play basketball. as i get hot and sweaty, the scent just gets better and better.

Nukapai's avatar

Keep It Fluffy by B Never Too Busy Be Beautiful

Keep It Fluffy (or KIF, as it is affectionately known by its fans) is described as a scent for the girly pink romantic. And yes, the scent is romantic; it's Ylang-meets-quality-custard-tarts-and-cake-at-a-patisserie, it's fluffy slippers and a cuddly toy, it's a girl's night in. It is not a Lolita scent, or a vamp scent, or a business scent, or sexy - and it is not in any way offensive.

However, it is not just for the incurably addicted to pink. Oh no - it's for those of us who, from time to time, need to remind ourselves of the good things in the world and nuzzle next to something fluffy for comfort. That's what Keep It Fluffy is good for. It can cheer up and comfort.

The Turkish bath (a kind of buttery cream wash you spread on yourself before getting in the bath or shower) is to die for and the body cream is very rich and silky - and it smells incredibly good.

violetblack's avatar

Ivoire (original) by Pierre Balmain

Bright green and grassy, this scent nevertheless is just too old for me. It smells like something my grandma would wear and smell excellent in, but not me. It is well done, it doesn't smell cheap or sickening, it's just dated.

Diorella by Christian Dior

In a search for the perfect summer fragrance, I bought Diorella without even trying it. Upon my first whiff, I thought...nice, but I probably won't buy this one again. As the day progressed, I was amazed at the beautiful drydown. Every note of the EDP is given an opportunity to take center stage until the earthy, patchouli finish. (I never guessed that I would like patchouli in the oppresive summer heat!) And Diorella has good staying power without giving me or anyone else a headache. When I don't know which perfume to wear, I reach for this. Just the fact that there is not one negative review should make anyone thinking about trying this one to run to the department store.

Poison by Christian Dior

I could never understand the popularity of this fragrance. My introverted (at the time) daughter wore it; my extroverted (and slightly older than me) boss wore it. I thought that it was gawd awful and yet it was everywhere! How could the folks who brought us Diorella do such a thing? In my humble opinion, Poison really IS poison...to be avoided at all costs. Dior did redeem itself when it introduced Dune, a unique beauty.

Dolce & Gabbana by Dolce & Gabbana

The reviews of this are interesting. Some think that this a warm fragrance. I got just the opposite impression. I could really pick out the basil, coriander and petitgrain and there is something very fresh about that combination. Also, I felt that, although this perfume was long lasting, it wasn't too strong. A very versatile and unusual scent. Even though it is not a scent that I can't do without, I like it & will probably buy it again.

Sensi by Giorgio Armani

A warm, pretty, uncomplicated scent. I used to wear this one exclusively in the winter, until I read a comment that wearing this in summer was a refreshing change. On a summer night, there is something sexy yet comforting about it. While not inspiring, this is a safe choice for a gift and a safe choice for any situation. Just like my old cotton nightgown, Sensi is a fragrance that I like to keep around.

Red by Giorgio Beverly Hills

A good perfume that gets a bad rap, possibly because of the price (inexpensive) or possibly from the overexposure. I bought this when it first came out just because of the name. I loved it then & I like it now, especially the price. I use the bath gel, lotion & perfume for staying power. It is a warm, spicy scent that is perfect for cold New England winters. If this one is too much for you, try Sensi. It has staying power but it is much more subtle.

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

Apres l'Ondee is anything but "the sunshine after the rain". It is painfully beautiful and whispers ominous news to anyone who will listen. This is the only Guerlain fragrance that should be sold in the EDT only (a disturbing trend in fragrances such as Vol de Nuit). I am not a huge fan of florals, but this one should not be missed. It is such a mystery...it relays the impression of Spring that will never become Summer. It's cool aloofness makes it unusual for a Guerlain. A truly unique experience!

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

This is such a beautiful fragrance...much like Shalimar, but with an earthy edge. It's such a shame that Guerlain makes this in EDT only, because this scent would be far better served in an EDP or pure parfum. It lacks staying power, so the wearer never has an opportunity to experience what could be a wonderful drydown. I'll save my money to buy Shalimar instead.

04 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th October, 2009)

Chamade by Guerlain

I tried this in 1969 when it was introduced and was wildly popular with young women. So many years later, I tried it again because I had no memory of it. Now I understand the reason. To me it is a nice but unremarkable floral. I know "The Guide" says that it is a masterpiece, but to me it is a fragrance that doesn't take any chances. It just doesn't stand out in any way, good or bad. It's pretty but I'll pass. PS I have revisited Chamade and now understand that it is all about the drydown, which is beautiful. However, I still prefer Tocade in the "floriental" category.

04 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 20th January, 2010)

Samsara by Guerlain

I first smelled this on a co-worker and I loved it! I ran to the store, bought the EDT and was so dissappointed. This is a BIG fragrance that deserves to be worn at least in the EDP if not in the pure parfum. If you love Giorgio's Red, you will love this. It is so spicy and so warm. It is more complex than Red. But it also is more expensive. There are two things that I have learned over the years: one is that you usually get what you pay for; two is that perfume doesn't always need to be expensive to be good.

Bandit by Robert Piguet

I bought this with my sister in mind. She is younger, bolder and maybe braver than I am. For me, Bandit is too strong (did I say that?), too green at the start and way too "perfumey" at the finish. I can't believe young people like this stuff. I hate it and it gives me a headache... and I know that my sister will LOVE it! PS Having said all of that, I tried Bandit again. While it is not a leather fragrance that suits me, I have learned to respect what it is...an unapologetic leather perfume of depth & quality.

04 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 05 September, 2009)

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

What a pity that such a lovely fragrance has such a terrible name! My daughter brought this home from a show in NYC where Tommy Hilfiger was a guest. I never would have tried this & probably will never buy this; yet it is a light, not too sweet floral with some staying power. In spite of the fact that I am not a huge fan of most florals, this one is just different enough & complex enough to recommend. I put this and Juicy Couture in the same category...pretty, unoffensive and perfect for young (and maybe not so young) women.

Champs-Elysées by Guerlain

Not the best effort that I have come to expect from the House of Guerlain! I find this a little pedestrian and a little too sweet. I should state the disclaimer that I am not a fan of sweet florals, even though I like Insolence. My sister, on the other hand, IS a fan of flowery scents and she loves this. My advise...get a sample before making a purchase. I have never smelled the original formulation, so maybe I am judging unfairly.

Juicy Couture by Juicy Couture

I had to try this because of the obnoxious pink box. It is a cheerful, fruity floral if you like that sort of thing. It doesn't offend and does not reflect in any way that box! I thought that my daughter would love it, but she only gave it an "eh". My nose must be failing me, because I thought this one would have a mass audience. To me it is one of the better new fragrances for young women. Although it lacks the pizzazz of Insolence and the beauty of Tommy Girl, I still think that it is a very, very nice perfume.

mem33's avatar

Brut 33 by Fabergé

A green wood of nature,
    I remember when i was a kid and a commercial that came on once.
    Where Where would you be without Brut 33
    Adam and Eve use to get on well, until Eve riped Adam about his smell
    Where Where would you be without Brut 33

LauraDora's avatar

Weekend for Women by Burberry

I love this fragrance! I have continuously bought it and will continue to do so! Lovely, sweet fragrance.

Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

If you wanna be unique this definitely isn't for you. I personally like wearing popular brands because people spot it and spark conversation but not everyone does. I tried some of this from a friends bottle and loved it. I have been wearing it as an everyday fragrance for about half a year now. I am starting to get bored with it. The only problem with it is to me it has an alcohal smell in the background that just sticks to my nose and blocks out all the pleasant notes. Like I said if you want to be original don't buy this because everyone and his brother wears this but if you just want to smell darn good (many compliments from the ladies) then get it.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

I just got some of this from my grandmas house, one of my relatives left it over there who lives far away and so she gave it to me. Already I like it. I haven't worn it in public yet but reading from the reviews I can tell that I am not the only one who likes it. At first application it smells like something a man in his 60s or 70s would be wearing with a barber shop type smell and it is really strong. But after about 30 minutes it dies down and becomes very pleasant. The main notes I smell are amber,lavender,and vanilla and its very warm and inviting. Definitely my new winter fragrance.

Stetson Black by Stetson

My dad wears this so my mom bought me some for Christmas last year. I really don't like it that much. To me it smells like a drunk cowboy. The biggest reason being it smells like whiskey to me for some reason. I don't like how it tries to be rugged and then goes floral all of a sudden and then it just dissapears never to be heard of again. Its cheap in price and in value. I only recommend this if you can't find anything better and if not just get some good deodorant.

Lucky Number 6 by Lucky Brand

I got a little travel size or tester bottle of this from my step dad that he got it a pack and I really love the smell of it. It is a great fall fragrance because it reminds me of cool weather with a bit of warmth. I love the spiciness. But I would not recommend this. One reason it, when I wore it I actually had girls ask what I was wearing and then say it stank. So although I found it soothing it definitely wasn't seductive. The lasting power is really bad to. I would only recommend this as an air freshener for your car or room or something.

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

Ordered this online because it sounded really good and I had heard all the great reviews from it. Honestly I dont think its that great. It fine for everyday wear and It smells good but the raspberry or the grapefruit doesnt go well with my skin chemistry so when I wear it it smells like Hawaiian Punch. I would recommend it BUT try it and make sure it smells good on you first.

Cristalle Eau de Parfum by Chanel

Once again in my search for the perfect summer fragrance, I purchased this, untried, from the Chanel website. My first reaction was TOO strong, a sentiment that I rarely express. Immediately I put this in the "give away" box. Curiosity got the better of me, so I tried it again. Nope! Back to the box. (Will I ever grow into anything but No 5 from Chanel?) On the third try, I began to understand. This is like some people...hard to love. Yet there is something that keeps me coming back. Cristalle is definately a chypre but it lacks the beauty of Mitsouko and the complexity of Diorella. However, anyone who is serious about perfume should try this once...maybe three times. PS I have gone through yet another bottle of this stuff. I cannot imagine a summer without it. A true classic! PPS In reading some of the newer reviews, I think that I know what note is bothersome to some...basil. You either love it or hate it. I like it and think that the basil note was the thing that compelled me to keep trying this fragrance. And now that Cristalle has lost some of her soaring citrus topnotes, the basil is even more pronounced. (This basil note is also in the first Dolce & Gabanna.)

04 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 16 December, 2010)

pasha's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

There is only one way to describe this scent:

SEX! SEX! SEX! SEX!

Sex in a bottle... Synthetic? Yes, but who does really want to smell exactly like tree bark, violets, or lemon here? Sometimes the man-made can be a masterpiece, and this is exactly that.

This is Versace. At its best.

04 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 07 March, 2011)

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

A truly elegant floral/oriental in traditional Guerlain fashion! It is far richer than Heure Exquisite but it is similar in that smoky, dusky twilight way. I never appreciated the sensous beauty of this scent when I was young. To me now, it symbolizes the scents of spring...thawing earth and sulking, hardy blossoms. This is not a fragrance for everyone, but I love to wear it on cool damp days. It keeps my thoughts warm and my attitude hopeful. If you love Mitsouko, you will probably like this "sister scent". PS I just bought another bottle "for old times' sake". The new L'Heure Bleue smells alot like the old Apres L'Ondee. It is thinner and easier to wear, but devotees will be devastated. Thank goodness it doesn't smell like bubblegum! (Unfortunately, Sacre Bleu from PDN now does smell like bubblegum, so this might be an alternative for lovers of that scent.)

04 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 December, 2011)

CoL's avatar

Rumeur (new) by Lanvin

I don't get any dirty socks I must say! This smells very much like a "summer" version of NR for her. Or possibly some other "remix". Added fruit and floral notes. I agree it does scream at first but this seems to settle after 30 mins or so. Very nice and very potent but not terribly original. Why do so many scent houses like to copy each others "big hitters"? I think it's time for a huge shake up in the perfume industry. Am I the only one bored with all the sythetic crap and variation after variation? What next? Opium Monday? Very Irresitible Friday? Kouros Dental appointment? Enough already!

05 August, 2008

JaimeB's avatar

Numero Uno by Carthusia

A chypre of unusually masculine character. In spite of the inclusion of ylang-ylang in the formula, this isn't remotely a stereotypical feminine scent in feeling. It may be the one note that rings false in this chime; it seems out of place with the more herbal floral of lavender, and certainly with eucalyptus and the other herbals. In conjunction with the musk, the sweet floral makes this scent a bit powdery at first, although that impression diminishes after the first twenty minutes or so. Then it blends more smoothly into the rest of the formula and largely loses the powdery aspect. This fragrance took a little getting used to for me, but once past the rough spot, I now like it quite a bit. In the end, it comes out as a slyly suave and even slightly rakish bit of work, the sort of thing to wear when one is in the mood for fun and a little taste of the offbeat in life.

05 August, 2008