Fragrance Reviews from September 2008

ComDiva's avatar
    ComDiva

Moss / Mousse de Chine by Ava Luxe

Mousse de Chine is a cheerful, dry and unexpectedly light chypre. I think it is a very nice summer scent, though it doesn't quite make my heart sing. Still, I LIKE it!

ComDiva's avatar
    ComDiva

Café Noir by Ava Luxe

Quite possibly one of the best perfumes on the planet. I was expecting a gourmand, and got rich coffee, spices, wood... and magic.

[b]Notes:[/b] Black coffee bean, Allspice Berries, Cardamom, French Lavender, Attar of Roses, Cedar, Patchouli, Vanilla, Mocha, Sandalwood, Siam Benzoin, Ambrette seeds.

JaimeB's avatar
    JaimeB

Vetiver pour Elle by Guerlain

Green citrus bergamot, white-floral citrus neroli, green-floral honeysuckle, white-floral lily of the valley, the sweet spice of nutmeg, woody green vetiver, and the new-mown hay note of coumarin from tonka beans. Altogether a woody and green scent with traces of sweet florals and spice, with a dryish edge of coumarin powderiness. Vetiver with a touch of fougère? Yes, but too much vetiver to allow lavender in, so a kind of fougère manquée. Yet J-P Guerlain's instincts were dead-on; the right balance for a softer version of the 1961 Vétiver, if anything even woodier, less harsh, for removing the screen of rougher base notes and revealing more of the vetiver. It's quite nice for men, too — despite the rather sexist name.

Caltha's avatar
    Caltha
    Sweden Sweden

Absolument Absinthe Le Parfum D'Interdits by Liquoristerie de Provence

Extremely dull, despite the name and interesting list of ingredients. Smells like any old clean/fresh/green thing with that synthetic sweetness typical of the men's section of the department store...

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar
    Andrewthecologneguy
    Nigeria Nigeria

Kölnisch Wasser by Farina Gegenüber

This is completely different from the 4711 stuff. This is far better. It is citrusy sweet, gives your nose the same sensation as sucking on a super sweet orange. Truly unisex, it makes you want to smell it again and again. Highly recommended IF you can find it. I have access to it...PM me if you desire.

scentsitivity's avatar
    scentsitivity

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

Fahrenheit provides a good example of why one cannot take house spin too seriously. For example, the Fahrenheit notes listed at the Dior website are given as:

Top: Howthorn, Honeysuckle
    Middle: Sandalwood
    Base: Cedar, Patchouli

Yet the carded sample I have tells a different story. It labels it as a ‘woody leather’ (a description that matches that of Luca Turin in the book “Perfumes”), with notes of tangerine, cedar wood and leather. At least there is one note that matches. Further, the Dior website describes Fahrenheit as a “virile, delicate and rounded fragrance." While I could concede virile and rounded, I fail to see anything delicate at work here.

As to the fragrance itself: the opening strikes me as the smell of gasoline. This quickly transitions to a motor oil smell that lasts a good deal longer. Then a muddied mix of wood and leather emerge. I love the smell of gasoline, but not on me. I don’t like the smell of motor oil. The base of Fahrenheit is okay, but not worth the wait.

scentsitivity's avatar
    scentsitivity

Vetiver by Etro

A well-executed vetiver fragrance with a smoky and woody character. Not for me, but definitely to be considered by serious vetiver lovers. I see it as better suited for a man.

HORACIO GONZÁLEZ's avatar
    HORACIO GONZÁLEZ
    Argentina Argentina

Bleu Marine by Pierre Cardin

I SEE ANYBODY HAD REALISED WHEN THIS FRAGRANCE WAS RELAUNCHED HAVE BEEN T-O-T-A-L-L-Y CHANGED, WHAT USED TO BE REALLY A MASTERPIECE, NOW IS GARBAGE
    ITS A PITTY

echerub's avatar
    echerub

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

A nice but generally run-of-the-mill fragrance. It has a bit of sweetness in its top and heart notes, but it isn't altogether an olfactory dessert. There's something sharp and "bubbly" in the topnotes that I would have to assume are aldehydes of some sort - it reminds me of Platinum Egoiste's opening in that regard. I can't identify the specific notes in Vera Wang for Men, but there's something about it that rounds it out and grounds it so that it never gets too sweet nor too sharp. There's something that gives it some weight and substance, likely what gives it a sense of formality or classiness. I think it could be worn quite well as either a casual or more dressy fragrance - but its longevity is rather lacking. After about 2 hours on my first test, it was really quite weak. It lasts like an EDC, from the few that I've tried thus far.

Overall, Vera Wang for Men is nice, but I'm certainly not buying a bottle of this after my sample runs out - assuming I even feel like using it up.

Amazing by Bill Blass

Realizing that this is discontinued, I only write this on the off chance that a woman might find this at a nice discount at a TJ Maxx or something. Don't pass it up.

I got a sample, thought it was men's, and tried it. I figured it was just too feminine and put it aside for long time. Now I'm reviewing everything I have to "give back" to Basenotes, which has helped me terribly. So, upon realizing that this is a women's fragrances I can re-analyze it properly.

This is light, floral, feminine, flirtatious. It conjures the imagery of a summer fling; it's irreverent and careless, but not without the potential to be more serious.

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

Hows about we call this 845, or at least 914? This smells nothing like NYC, with the exception of Cental Park, maybe.

Still though, 212's doin' it's green and fresh thing very well. As it dries it does become a little more generic. Still though, if you're looking for a fresh fragrance, this is a good choice.

360 Degrees for Men by Perry Ellis

360 is almost a disaster, but stays pleasant and unique enough to avoid the thumbs down. Even in the dry down, it's odd, strong, floraly sweet, woody, slightly sour, and a hint feminine. It makes me want to smell it again, and yet I myself do not want to smell like this.

Ya dig?

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Just call me Billy Bandwagon for liking GIT. Yes, it's green. Yes, it's pleasant. Yes, it shares something in common with Cool Water and yes, the "note pyramids" do not reflect this.

Now, the bonus review.
    I got a sample and loved it but pondered as to whether it was worth the money. Well, the girlfriend loved it too and took it upon herself to go out and get me a bottle before I had come to any decision, and she's not as fragrance crazy as I am. It's just that good. Also, I've only had it for a month and I wear it once or twice a week and it's gotten compliments thrown at me a few times already.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Reserve by Perry Ellis

This is boring and unremarkable and wears too close to the skin. Although it's fruity and kind of pleasant it still demands a thumbs down for an odd, plasticy, synthetic basenote. I do need a formal scent, but this is WAY off the mark.

Portfolio Elite for Men by Perry Ellis

This is a mild, pleasant, masculine fragrance. The tonka and musk in the base are a little too well tempered. Portfolio Elite says, "the nice smelling guy in accounting." It doesn't last long and stays close to the skin as well.

Although I like the smell, it's just not me.

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

This is a terribly pleasant fragrance, with a citrus and anise opening that moves toward a tonka close. There also seems to be a sweet powdery thing going on. The whole thing just oozes class.

I'm not exactly sure when the right time to wear this would be, as I haven't analyzed it past the sample and to be honest, I haven't even given it much thought. The reason is because I could never buy this. Armani has become the go-to designer recently, and I'm searching high and low for either niche fragrances or "sleeper" fragrances in an effort to stay unique.

If Creed, Malle, or Montale made this I'm sure I'd already have a bottle...
    this fact alone makes me feel like a crazy person in need of professional help.

Jil Sander No. 4 by Jil Sander

Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis supposedly wore this; perfect match. Rose and geranium make it a little soapy to start, but the fruits help out. Soon it melts into a classy white flower with rich herbs and resins to round it into a warm, sophisticated floral-oriental. Not to modern, not to old school. Good lasting properties. Nice to wear with a cocktail dress.

Top note: galbanum, geranium, peach, plum, rose
    Heart note: carnation, heliotrope, jasmine, myrrh, rose, tarragon, tuberose, violet, ylang-ylang
    dry down: ambergris, moss, musk, patchouli, sandalwood, vanilla

Jil (original) by Jil Sander

I admit I bought this one for the (parfum) bottle, which is odd because I don't care for most Jil Sander packaging.
    Angel set the pace for this one, but it's much more subtle. Pleasent green accords mellow it into something you can wear in a crouded elevator without offence. Lasts almost as long as Angel, too.

Hermèssence Poivre Samarcande by Hermès

Pepper!
    And if you like pepper, no doubt you will a conspicuous, but not overpowering, peppery goodness. Give it a few minutes, and the complexity comes out; the most in the Hermessence line. It lasts, that is, if you can detect those last accords, like the last few dying embers in a bonfire that no longer give sufficient light or heat. I heavily question the value here.

Hermèssence Rose Ikebana by Hermès

Suspiciously like high end YSL Baby Doll to me. Very old school thinking to consider rose unisex, and kudos to the metrosexual who wears it, But my frugal side says a fragrance with this price tag should last longer.

Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès

Lovely. casual, in a sophisticated kind of way, like an Armani suit model at the beach with his shoes off. I feel like I'm having tea and pastries in a lush but simple herb garden. smells fine on me, but I need to find a manly chest to put this on:)
    As with the other Hermessence fragrances, awful pricey for something that doesn't last very long...

Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès

Top note smells exactly like black walnut cookies my father would share with us. Cools down to a well behaved but conventional amber warmth. The good news: seems to last longer than other scents on the Hermessence line. The bad news: seems too juvenile and laboratory concocted for the price tag.

jenson's avatar
    jenson
    India India

L'Homme Sage by Divine

L'homme Sage has a divine opening, like a white light, a Glow. A powdery burst of fruity notes and spices(mainly barks and roots kind). Fruity notes are so well rounded and delicately coated with spices with a hint of lime peel..the color and approach this scent evokes is very similar to Himalaya, however, all the similarities end in 15 minutes because, the Sage has finally come out of the white light and descended to a divine forest on Earth..this scent take a complete u-turn after 15 minutes or so..one can encounter the earthiness, the wet nature, the smell of freshly chopped wood or maybe the smell of wet bark of a tree. The patchouli with the hints of vetiver adds to the earthiness of this gem. This scent stays dry and smells very real, smells of damp earth and woody notes, not scented woody notes, but just plain wood in a rain forest..as each minutes passes by..one can clearly see these notes wafting of the skin with clear notes of Incense, one of a kind that i have encountered. The smell is very, very, very similar to Lez Nez Let me Play the Lion(LMPTL). i had earlier claimed how disappointing LMPTL was for me..i just didnt get it. but Divine made it simpler for me, it is definitely superior than LMPTL and all counts in terms if execution. With Lhomme Sage, i understood, it was clear, notes were more visible and real. Sage has a very rock solid foundation of one of the best Amber notes and Oakmoss. I think with Sage, Divine tried to accomplish a Scent which would be a Sage in itself. Rock solid theme which, if one gave some thought would really make lot of sense. and Yes, i could very well relate to the name this scent represents.

Fans of earthy green, woody scents, please take a note. this not a scent for parties or office. however, it definitely is something you could approach once you reach home from work, something to wear after a shower, something for colder wheathers..something to wear under the sweater to give you the utmost comfort and warmth without interfering much but, at the same time be there for you when needed. Sage lasts for over 8+ hours easy

01st September, 2008 (Last Edited: 07 October, 2008)

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Blue Amber by Montale

Enveloping amber note that's a deep blue and blooms into a light blue. Basically a perfect, linear drydown. A great scent but not one I'd wear.

Critic's avatar
    Critic
    Zimbabwe Zimbabwe

Vetiver by Floris

Absolutely astounding! I received a couple of samples and immediately this one got my attention. I would apply it and keep sniffing my arm. It's so masculine, so powerful and smells oh so divine. It's vetiver complimented by hints of spice to produce a somewhat silky effect. I kind of detect leather and tobacco in it. Whether it exists or not is something else. My nose says it does. One of the hidden gems of the industry. Probably nearly as good as Guelain's Vetiver, i'm still not sure. I prefer the citrus blast GV delivers upon spritzing. Layered together, they are perfect.

Maybe Baby by Benefit

I fell in love with "Body So Fine" balm since the first time I put in on my skin and been hoping for a fragrance that can give me exactly same feel. This is a lovely scent that can go with you day and night, even in the dream.

Dune by Christian Dior

This is one of fews scent I bought the new one before the current bottle is finished. Its woody-sweet scent remind me of the warm sunny day at the weekend market. Spicy and sophisticated. Definitely a sexy scent!

Aqua Allegoria Orange Magnifica by Guerlain

I too like it enough to take it home, but really don't know why I didn't like it that much anymore. Guess the orange smell too artificial to my nose.
    I still can wear it thou.

Zen (new) by Shiseido

I just tried this the other day. Without knowing what are in it, I just love the opening combination of juicy fruit. And it'won't take long until I can smell white musk and incense.

I'm not very good in discribing the note-thing. But I agree with you, Scentsitivity, that this one is a "decent fragrance for a lady"

Bigsly's avatar
    Bigsly

Uomo? Moschino by Moschino

Ken_Russel said: "Rather a concept fragrance, an unusual experiment than the classic formal-wear cologne... A revolutionary scent that will render your everyday life(if you decide to wear it regularly) into anything else but daily grind, into a sweet-spicy adventure or joyride." On the other hand, in the perfume guide book, Tania Sanchez calls it a generic masculine fragrance. How can this be? I think there are two possibilities. Either this one is really dependent upon "skin type" or else the way this fragrance is perceived varies widely, from person to person, depending upon slight differences in how we interpret smell. For me, there is a dessert-like quality to U?M, perhaps like lemon meringue, but there is also a woody quality, herbs, etc. It's not especially sweet, but for those who are used to non-sweet fragrances, it might seem sweet. For me, it's not sweet, because I like sweet fragrances and this one does not come across to me as particularly sweet. I do like a fragrance that is a bit "challenging," but in a "swirling" way, meaning that I can't pin it down and it's enjoyable. U?M is more up front in how it challenges you, almost as if it's saying, "I'm going to throw all these different notes at you and you've got to figure out what to do with them." Since it's strong, I suggest one spray on your first sampling, not on your chest though, and don't blind buy a big bottle. My verdict is neutral, because this is interesting and not horrible (if you don't use too much), but it generates an experience that I don't find optimal, and since I have so many fragrances now that do, I don't think I'd use this more than once every couple of months (or more).