Fragrance Reviews from September 2008

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar
    Andrewthecologneguy
    Nigeria Nigeria

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

This is good. It is very good. Awesome scent, perfect launch time. This is in the family of that sweet, rum rasin cake, fall/christmasy, goodness. Think Varvatos Vintage, Burberry London, Banana Republic Black Walnut and Claiborne's Spark. The only difference is that Gucci comes in and delivers a knockout, enough to make you want to replace any of the aforementioned you might own, save for the Burberry, maybe. It goes to show that the house of Gucci is no joke when it come to their frags...just outstanding! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

20th September, 2008 (Last Edited: 05 November, 2009)

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar
    Andrewthecologneguy
    Nigeria Nigeria

Ed Hardy Man by Christian Audigier

Suprised by all the thumbs up...this came across as generic to me. A blend of Givnechy Pi and CK Euphoria. Granted i really enjoy these scents, especially since the sneeze inducing opeining in Pi is not present here at all. I just find it hard to grant it a glowing review since it lacks originality. It has a run of the mill vibe to it, but overall it is very well executed. the bottle sucks too...looks like a cheap dollar store offering. Neutral for me.

scentsitivity's avatar
    scentsitivity

Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums

In two words I would call it ‘herbal amber’. Interesting scent in that while most ambers I have tried are fairly sweet, in Ambre 114 (as it is now called) the sweetness is very subdued. Herbal elements, particularly thyme and nutmeg, work with the amber and tone down any sweetness to it. This makes for an interesting accord. In the base, one gets mild sweetness as vanilla becomes detectable, but it is still less than most all amber fragrances I have tried to date. I do not see myself buying this one, but it is definitely worthy of consideration.

Divatologist's avatar
    Divatologist

Ma Dame by Jean Paul Gaultier

I love this perfume. I only wish it came in EDP. I tested this and the first thing that came to mind is one of those sprays they use in the auto shops, magic markers and or the scent of spray paint. As I walked around the store, the cleaning/spray paint smell seemed to fade and I had this wonderful sweet and beautiful scent start to evolve. Now, Divatologist doesn't just have a sweet tooth. All my teeth are sweet. Hell, who am I kidding I'm sweet all over....*giggle*. Oh yeah, the perfume Madame. Well, I try not to impulse buy, but I just had to have this frag. I just couldn't figure it out, but this frag smelled like something from my past. The other day it hit me like a ton of bricks!! I was talking to my Mommy and that's when it hit me. When I was a little girl, I would sit it the bathroom when my Moms would take her makeup off and paint her nails. She used Ponds Cold Cream. Madame reminds me of those times. It smells like a cross between Ponds Cold Cream, fingernail polish remover, and the Now & Laterz I was always chewing on. I remember how much fun it was to watch my Mommy just being beautiful and wanting to be just like her. I think that this perfume not only appeals to me because of this sweet memory, but it appeals to the odd things that I like the smell of. I like the smell of gasoline, paint, magic markers, and the weird sweet smell of some of those sprays the mechanics use on cars. Madame is "Quirky" just like CoL said, but that's what I love about this perfume. I get wonderful whiffs of this stuff throughout the day every time I wear it. The dry down is absolutely beautiful in Madame. On me, it is a very sweet floral. I just love it on me. So if you like the smell of Ponds, fingernail polish remover, and candy, then this is the perfume to try lol. Seriously, it is a wonderful sweet floral that is young at heart. It's fun and flirty. Gourmand lovers this is definitely a treat for the sweets in you.

Rumba by Ted Lapidus

VERY SIMILAR TO CAPUCCI DE CAPUCCI, IT SMELLS BRILLIANT, LUXURIOUS AND ELEGANT

Talisman by Balenciaga

IN MY OPINION IN THE SAME FAMILY OF FANTASME TED LAPIDUS, THOSE FRAGRANCE CALLED POLAR HATE IT OR LOVE IT! IN THIS CASE I LOVE STRONG AND VERY SWEET PARFUMS LIKE THESE (ANGEL AND TOCADE TOO)

Cristobal pour Homme by Balenciaga

I REMEMBERED THE FIRST TIME I SNIFF THIS FRAG, I SAID "MMMMHH WOW!!, IT'S APHRODISIAC " IT`S A "STRONG" PERFUME, VERY MASCULINE, WARM AND YOU CAN SMELL THAT FANTASTIC BLEND OF WOODS

Macassar by Rochas

QUITE DIFFERENT FROM OTHER FRAGRANCES, IT HAS A VERY (SWEET?)NOTE SURPRISING , JUST DELICIOUS!
    I CONSIDERING IT A MASTERPIECE, VERY PERSONAL SCENT

Silver Black / Onyx by Azzaro

NOT BAD, BUT A BIT BORING, SO SUAVE, ´TOO MUCH INOFFENSIVE, I HOPED MORE FROM AZZARO

fusion's avatar
    fusion

Cool Water Game by Davidoff

This is a very nice fragrance smells wonderful and last great value for the price.

moreda's avatar
    moreda
    Netherlands Netherlands

Purple Water by Asprey

this is the strongest and most concentrated cologne ever.
    A concentration of more than 20%.... it contains just 70% alcohol.
    this is even more concentrated than most EDT's.

20th September, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th August, 2009)

Luckycharm27's avatar
    Luckycharm27

Elite Model Attitude for Him by Elite Model

Stronger version of White Musk for Men of Body Shop

Sunsetspawn's avatar
    Sunsetspawn

Bois du Portugal by Creed

I've been putting off reviewing this one because I'm torn. Out of all of the Creeds I've sampled, this is my favorite, and yet there's no way I can wear it. Most of the people whom I've asked for an opinion have called this "old man smell." Yet when I smell it I'm getting this wonderous woodsy, earthy thing.
    Every positive review here is dead-on-balls accurate, so please pick yourself up a sample today, they're very abundant.

It's a damn fine scent, and maybe one day when I stop my Peter Pan nonsense I'll get to know it better.

Sunsetspawn's avatar
    Sunsetspawn

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

This smells like a lemon Italian ice, like the kind you get down in little Italy, or maybe in a good pizza place in Westchester. This shares something in common with sport, and I can also only assume the original. Even as time passes, it still smells like someone spilled an Italian ice on my vanilla, tonka, and white musk cologne soaked wrist.

Although pleasant, the longevity and sillage are far too weak.

I prefer the sport, but then again I'm a simpleton.

erichtonius's avatar
    erichtonius
    France France

Rose Bouquet by D.R. Harris & co.

This wonderful light and traditional Rose cologne is discontinued.

erichtonius's avatar
    erichtonius
    France France

Lavender by Floris

One of the best English Lavender, with D. R. Harris and Pennhaligon's.. but sadly discontinued this year. Why ? A so great and successful fragrance..

pkf's avatar
    pkf
    Norway Norway

Fuel for Men / DK Men by Donna Karan

This is simply genius, the best scent of all time.

And now its re-releasing :) the best news ever!

Its at www.harrods.com and at http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com

tonysoprano100's avatar
    tonysoprano100
    Chile Chile

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme by Van Cleef & Arpels

I think Van Cleef and Arpels pour homme is the best green fragance of the market, without doubts.
    Complex and not for all people, this fragance is a must on my list.
    Do you want more information? Its not necesarily.

Thumbs Up.....Very Up.

PS: Only for experts and royal customers.

20th September, 2008 (Last Edited: 08 October, 2008)

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Etra by Etro

I'd dare call this Egoiste Lite. Smokey, woody, peppery and floral with a touch of vanilla. Not strong but not fleeting. A soft elegant fragrance that hang around with you all day. I like!

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Cuba Red by Cuba Paris

Burnt tobacco and some woods. This reminds more of Remy Latour's Cigar rather than M7 or Burberry London. M7 has a strange mintiness to it from the agarwood and Burberry London is boozy. This may be a mixture of the three. Cheap yet different from the other Cuba "knock-offs". It's as if the perfumer said "let's take some popular scents and make them better." (i.e. Cuba Gold smells like a "better" Le Male) Interesting and cheap.

Bigsly's avatar
    Bigsly

Shalimar Eau Légère Parfumée by Guerlain

Citrus, vanilla, and amber, with some light florals, and without the "synthetic"/rubbery note I smell in Shalimar EDC. Otherwise, it's similar to Shalimar EDC. Longevity is at least good, as is sillage/projection.

Bigsly's avatar
    Bigsly

Dévotion for Men by Gabriela Sabatini

Vanilla and herbs, somewhat like Safran Troublant, but this is sweeter and less herbal (and no burnt sort of thing going on). There are also woody notes here that work very well, but not much in the way of fruit (which is good, considering how many fruity/woody fragrances I've sampled lately). One thing that's very important to me in these kinds of fragrances is what I call "rough edges," and many expensive fragrances have them, but not Devotion. Is it the blending? It's strong at the beginning, to be sure, but then settles down in an hour or so, yet it's never "rough." Now that I've sampled a large number of fragrances, I realize how good this one is, especially at current prices.

surreality's avatar
    surreality

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Polo Black is an inoffensive and well composed "fresh" scent that is is a little on the generic side but more likable than many of its competitors. The refreshing fruity top notes soon fade away, leaving a lightly herbaceous and "watery" heart underpinned by a base of patchouli and sandalwood that is rounded out and softened a little by the tonka bean.

Polo Black has nowhere near the power, sillage or longevity of other fragrances in the Polo line, it lasts maybe 4 hours before it needs refreshing. This is a nice enough fragrance but there is nothing that makes it (or the wearer )stand out from the crowd. If you are looking for something unique or sexy then this is not what you are looking for ; if you are looking for something fresh, understated and suitable for the office or class room then this may be worth a try.

surreality's avatar
    surreality

Essential by Lacoste

This is another inoffensive fresh scent that like so many of its brethren fails to leave any lasting mark. There is nothing about this Lacoste creation that is bad per se; it smells fresh, crisp and nice enough. But there is also nothing really that good about it either, and certainly nothing about this makes it essential to one's wardrobe.

The citrus topnotes blend with something green and slightly herbaceous before fading away to leave a lightly spiced floral heart. This soon fades into a base of patchouli and sandalwood. The longevity of Essential is about 3 hours and it has a decent projection.

funnyboy's avatar
    funnyboy

Aramis 900 by Aramis

One of the best Aramis fragrances after Tuscany.Find the others too "old".V similar to aromatics for women.Find some women overly apply the stuff and it can be heady.
    For me 900 is great value cos it lasts all day and I have dry skin on which some of the other fragrances disappear quickly.
    Getting hard to find in the U.K. but I can usually find some in Europe at excellent prices.
    For me this is a classic that will always be one of my favorites.A v definate thumbs up,maybe even 2 if there were 2 thumbs!!

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

I have two 3.4oz bottles of this, but recently have been finding the opening grapefruit note a little irritating, and it tends to overstay its welcome - the core difference between the original and this version. Extreme is brighter and sharper. If you're a fan of grapefruit, you will probably enjoy this. However, if you want to enjoy the Darjeeling tea without too much prickly citrus, I suggest you stick to the Original.

20th September, 2008 (Last Edited: 10th January, 2010)

Envy for Men by Gucci

Envy for Men is a class oriental scent. It opens with slightly dull citrus that is accompanied by sharp spices(anise) and a gingery-floral-herbal accord that is very similar to the one in Hugo Dark Blue, but in the case of Envy For Men, is less synthetic-smelling and less sweet. Fragrant wood infused with incenses, acts as the backbone of the scent, and gives it that powdery and smokey texture as it dries down.

20th September, 2008 (Last Edited: 12 January, 2010)

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

This is a very light-weight citrus aquatic. It is pleasant and very easy to wear casually, but that's about it. There isn't an edge or punch in this that will wow. If one is looking for a scent for freshening up after sports, this will work perfectly, apart from that, I don't see myself ever using this on any other occasion.

20th September, 2008 (Last Edited: 25 July, 2009)

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

Very obviously a tea-based scent, but is a little too sweet for my liking. I find the floral notes too dominant, over the spice. Overall a very average scent

20th September, 2008 (Last Edited: 18 June, 2009)

cK one Summer 2007 by Calvin Klein

****Sorry, Please delete this entry*****

20th September, 2008 (Last Edited: 11th March, 2010)