Fragrance Reviews from September 2008

Tilleul by D'Orsay

A beautiful light sweet floral to be enjoyed by both men and women. Dries down into a floral wood. Good.

Gold Man by Amouage

Chanel no. 5 for Men (sweet aldehydic floral civet)

Cefiro by Floris

After trying JF, Cefiro seems to have a sooth texture in common with it. I assume this smoothness is a house note for Floris. Barring that, this is herbal and citrusy. Nothing too exciting.

Kouros Cologne Sport by Yves Saint Laurent

I feel that is is a very very light version of the original, minus the "controversial" note and add in more citrus on top and a musky base. It's still sweet like honey but feels fresher (sporty I suppose). Very decent.

Ciel Man by Amouage

This is spicy and fresh much like many designer fragrances today. This fragrance, however, dares to add a drop of an animalic element. It nice but it feels like it's trying to be something it's not.

Les Nuits d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

A dry citrus with wet yet light florals and a patchouli drydown. Too bad the top notes are what's best.

Emporio Armani Remix He by Giorgio Armani

A fresher, less sweet version of Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine. The licorice is present but not dominant. This is, overall, a nice herbal licorice.

Ed Hardy Man by Christian Audigier

Every fragrance counter in the department and discount stores tried to push this on me just because it was new but I'm not letting that skew the review. There's an off-putting alcoholic blast at the beginning but the basenotes are what this fragrance is about. I find them a bit... tedious. It's a fruity sweet puff of air with a woody drydown. Not interesting enough to get a bottle. Speaking of the bottle, the graphics are ghastly.

LuciusVorenus's avatar

Iquitos by Alain Delon

I can see what they were trying to do with this perfume. They were trying to create the smell of real roses using artificial ingredients. Rose Otto is very greenish and doesn't smell like real roses, because of the process used to obtain the oil. So Iquitos tried to recreate the rose using other ingredients. If you try hard enough, you can imagine a real rose when you smell this perfume. But if you don't try hard enough, it smells like rubber. It's the aldehydes that give this rubber smell to it.

I don't hate this perfume, but come on, this could never be considered a masterpiece. So I'll give it a neutral rating.

Katrinket's avatar

Must de Cartier by Cartier

I second the recommendation to find the old version, if you can.

Must was my first big perfume love. I found it in about 1990. Bought a bottle, a large extravagance at the time, and loved every drop of it. I have since bought another EdP and the EdT. They are nice of course, but I've wondered why I didn't get the same overwhelming sensory experience as I did with that first bottle. Now I know it was reformulated in 1991 or 92, using cheaper ingredients. But try the new one--if you love it, go searching for the older version. The modern version is only disappointing if you remember it being better...

xian's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Soft, sweet suede. I love it.
    It stays pretty linear, but that's a good thing when it smells this nice.
    It's not for people who like "rough" leather, though - for that, Cuiron would be my choice. But for soft, smooth leather, this is one of the best.

Kaern's avatar

Santal Impérial by Creed

A lovely and honest rendition of sandalwood with a light vanilla + amber added to the drydown. If you are seeking a pure sandalwood fragrance, this is the one, but if you want a rather more complex and spectacular version --'Santal Noble' is the choice. This fragrance nudges Etro's version down to third favourite though. No longevity or sillage problems either -- I'm slowly changing my mind about Creed's edt's.

Kaern's avatar

Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès

This is 'Mechant Loup', but sweeter. Can't detect much vetiver though. Good sillage and lasts well on me. Buy the 4 x 15ml travel set if in stock -- much cheaper. Forgot to mention -- it's very very lovely.

Big_Scooter's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

Ah! I love this stuff. Starts off with bracing lavender and a bit of some sort of charred wood that I'm too green to identify. Maybe cedar. The lavender slowly loses it's edge, and some herbs push the charred wood to the back. It stays as lavender with herbs for perhaps 30 minutes (but sometimes it seems to get stuck here on me for hours, much to my annoyance).

I get varied results at this point depending on the day. On the days that it gets stuck in lavender mode like I mentioned a second ago, I don't get much vanilla out of it, and it stays as a warm, round lavender for ages. On the days that the lavender lets up a bit, vanilla with a bit of cinnamon come forward and make themselves known.

On it's good days, it is my favorite fragrance. When the lavender refuses to give way, it becomes a little tiresome and boring. Time to toss the dice!

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

On me, Cuir Mauresque starts out like some kind of cleaning fluid. It's not awful, but it's atrange and strong. After about ten minutes it starts to settle into s mild and spicy leather that's rather sweet. There is a slight floral note in there but it stays in the background. The sillage at this point is mild. While the drydown is nice, I was hoping for a leather that was either a little more animalic and/or smoky. ZZ Top was right (see his review below), on my skin this is more ambery and floral when it's all said and done. My top 3 leathers are still, Montale's Aoud Cuir d'Arabie, Tabac Blond, and vintage Jolie Madame (which can be found regularly on ebay). I think CM is a pretty scent, but since it wasn't the hardcore leather I was looking for, I'm giving it a neutral thumb.

Royal Scottish Lavender by Creed

By far the highest quality lavender I've ever tried. It is firm and sharp - the sharpness probably from the clove/spice notes that give this lavender and bite and an edge. It actually bites the nose a bit, especially on application. There is no alcohol or booziness at all, and the typical Creed dry down to amber is warm and a nice finish. I'm not sure any lavender fragrance is worth $150+, but when I run out of my decant I will seriously think about it.

Aoud Lime by Montale

It's not my thing to write bad reviews... usually I'd prefer to just forget it, but this might be a special case. I love lime notes so I ordered a sample of this along with a number of others from Montale. I didn't even need to smell my skin before knowing it was shockingly strong and awful... just the mist of what wafted up was enough to get me to wash off (I did smell my arm).

Try before you buy.

Private Collection - Bois Blond by Parfumerie Generale

Dry but not sweet at all, and anything but bland. One really must pay attention to the subtleties here. Bois Blond is sophisticated in its understated elegance, and as with all PG fragrances it exudes quality. If you stop at the top notes you'll probably not 'get' BB and be disappointed, so if you have the opportunity to test this make sure you let it develop for quite a while. The initial smell to me was almost like dirt - something like woody hay. These topnotes persist for quite a while. When I next checked my arm, the dirt/hay smell was gone and replaced with a wonderful, rich cedar/tobacco/amber. As one reviewer mentioned, the notes are constantly shifting, melding, and stepping in and out of prominence. I'm thinking I should jump on this LE release before its gone.

gido's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Yatagan by Caron

smells like fine tabac and great charm.

timaru's avatar

Germany Germany

White Musk for Men by Body Shop

Hhm, the best way to describe this frag is a mixture of armani - Code and bruno banani-Not for Everybody. Its a plain scent, i dont really detect much comlexity nor change during the time it dries down.
    Inoffensive, warm and even if you grew a disliking towards it, for the 20 $it costs, it would still be a formidable room spray.

Himalaya by Creed

A wonderful blend of citrus and warm woods. Excellent quality is very evident in those notes. Very invigorating and mildly spicy. Perfect for any occasion. One of the best from creed in my opinion. Its has very soft floral and herbal notes that are very much in the background. Excellent creation.

25th September, 2008 (Last Edited: 20th June, 2009)

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

This one starts off with a blast of very syrupy dull citrus and some herbs. The slightly sharp and pungent oud is well masked by all the medicinal sweetness going on, and just exists to add a zingy/sharp sensation to the scent. I enjoy the scent even more as it starts to lose the syrupy top and reveal its smokey vanilla + wood base. Excellent transition.

25th September, 2008 (Last Edited: 19th April, 2010)

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

I used to own this, but ultimately felt it was one I could do without. A recent revisit reminded me of its warm, spicy, woody accords. Opens with sweet citrus, and dries down to a warm, woody base. While I can see where all the tobacco association is coming from, it is really more of a woody, paper-like scent to me.

25th September, 2008 (Last Edited: 24th September, 2009)

Pi by Givenchy

Absolutely beautiful! Too sweet? That's fine. I got a sweet tooth! This is just one of the nicest, sweetest, and warmest fragrance I've ever smelled. It smells edible, really. I smell Pi and I don't think of pie, but it definetely smells like some kind of pastry. Something baked. No doubt it's one of the best gourmands ever.

RSVP by Kenneth Cole

It's nice, but it smells just like Lacoste Pour Homme. Just like it. I was considering getting Lacoste PH, but I'm not sure I NEED it in my wardrobe. Highly tempted to add it though. RSVP is all over the bargain basement stores though, so I may jump on the RSVP instead though.

Hypnôse Homme by Lancôme

Someone mentioned that this fragrance does not move, and perhaps they're right. The top notes don't differ much from the middle and basenotes. This is true. My question is...how important is it for a fragrance to move? I mean...if it starts off nice, why should it have to morph into something else? This is like the exact opposite of colognes like Versace Dreamer that start off harsh but dry down beautifully. This fragrance is lovely from initial spray until the scent disappears altogether. No complaints from me. I love Hypnose. But perhaps the lack of movement is the reason it isn't more popular on here.

Jestersinthemoon's avatar

Blue Sugar by Aquolina

Why any self-respecting man would want to smell like this is completely beyond my ability to comprehend. This smells like sickeningly sweet cotton-candy flavored bubble gum. If anything, this smells like something a 5 yr-old girl would be wearing......or eating. Bleh.

Largo's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Vetiver by Guerlain

I like Guerlain's Vetiver. In fact, I like it a lot. I don't love it, however.

I simply don't experience the same complex development on my skin that so many others have reported here. Yes, I get the citrus and pepper top notes, accompanied by the prominent "soapy" vetiver scent. After 15 minutes or so, the soapiness subsides and the citrus is joined by a spiciness which I find difficult to describe. It's not rich and sultry, more lifting and aromatic the way a Thai green curry is lighter than similarly spicy Indian curries. Not that Vetiver smells of curry, though! Perhaps it's the notes reminiscent of lemongrass that made me think of that simile. At this point, however, Vetiver stalls and I don't experience any of the rich earthy notes that I had been looking forward to when I bought it. That's a shame, because I think that added complexity would have elevated this fragrance to the level of an all-time favourite.

Perhaps the lack of development is a skin chemistry thing. Or perhaps it's a climate thing. I understand Vetiver was originally developed for the Central American market and, although I've not yet been fortunate enough to visit that part of the world, I think it's pretty reasonable to state that it is significantly warmer than chilly Scotland!

As it stands, Vetiver is still easily head and shoulders above the boring citrus and ozone clones that clog up the fragrance shelves of British pharmacists and department stores. I might not love it yet, but this could be a slow burning romance and I'll certainly enjoy getting to Vetiver better as I work my way through that chunky green bottle.

joleran's avatar

Camera for Men by Max Deville

Horrible overbearing, bug spray like top notes that fade after a few minutes. Powdery floral mids with rosemary as mentioned by Russlan. Base is uninspiring generic wood with a hint of the bug spray opener. Muddled notes throughout, first fragrance to literally give me a headache.

beretta63's avatar

Aramis by Aramis

the first "aftershave" bought me by my mother when i was 16 and i still think its up with the best. a true classic, long live good old ARAMIS!!