Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

Jon_Remy's avatar

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

I was sitting in the El Adobe Restaurant bar in San Juan Capistrano, when this lovely woman walked in and sat at the bar behind me. I was sitting in a chair behind her sipping my drink with my relatives, when her perfume kept wafting in my direction. I kept asking myself what was that fragrance? It kind of reminded me of Woman by Jovan. I asked the waiter to ask her what she was wearing. He came back and said Estee Lauder. He didn't specify which Estee Lauder, so I figured I'd just go to my local department store and smell them all and see which one it was. It turned out to be Youth Dew. I went ahead and bought a bottle. I really love Woman by Jovan, but the Youth Dew seemed a bit more potent, which I like. I prefer to wear fragrances which are noticeable, not hidden or subtle. I really don't care if someone complains about my fragrance. Too bad I don't smoke anymore, because I'd light up a cigarette and see if they'd prefer the cigarette smoke over my cologne. Some people just don't have lives and only have time to complain about petty things like someone's cologne. If you've got allergies or are hypersensitive to scents, then keep your distance and don't get near me. It's that simple. By the way, Happy New Year 2009 to all here on Basenotes! Wishing you all the best in 2009!

Jon_Remy's avatar

Metropolis by Estée Lauder

It says here that Metropolis is in production, but I've not been able to find it anywhere. If they discontinued it, it is a pity. This was my favorite all time fragrance of the mid to late 80s. It seemed to be a nice herbal fragrance with a hint of green tomato. I remember it having undertones of V8 juice, but I loved it! If anyone knows where to purchase this wonderful fragrance, please let us know here. (But I'm not willing to pay $299 for a bottle, like some sites want--I was looking for Boss Spirit and found it for $300 on the internet and I said to myself forget that, I can just find a new fragrance!). Yes, PLEASE bring back Metropolis if it's been discontinued. By the way, I really like the original Lauder for Men, which is available at my local department store. (Did anyone notice that Donald Trump's fragrance is packaged in the same bottle as Lauder for Men?).

Quarry's avatar

Fleur d'Oranger by Fragonard

Plastic, super soapy, and nothing like the real flower. Wish I could elucidate in a more useful way, but that sums up my impression.

Ender's avatar

Switzerland Switzerland

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

An unbearable, never ending, cloying sweet amber and vanilla that won't go away despite furious washing attemps.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

To me, Kouros is instantly recognizable whenever, wherever, and on whomever I smell it. I had a brief dalliance with Kouros in the 1980's, but had to leave it behind - this is in spite of me still being a fan of a few other of the "powerhouse" 1980's scents that are still available. It is the instantly-recognizable quality that turns me off - it's just too obvious. It's also a scent that needs to be applied with extreme caution, because the "animal" components become almost unbearable when it's over-applied. You can stink out a whole cocktail-party with this brew. I'm giving it a neutral rating, because I don't hate it, I just can't wear it.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I was given a huge bottle of L'Eau D'Issey EDT, and I have only worn it three times. It's just far too overbearing and I just don't get it at all. It just smells like an aquatic explosion and that opening never seems to leave it. I'm just too into bone-dry Chypre, fragrances to appreciate this one. Not a winner.

Fracas for Men by Robert Piguet

Very, very ordinary. Not overwhelmingly good or bad, just... well... ordinary. It seems to have nothing at all to do with the female version of Fracas (the original), which is extraordinary. Fracas Homme is as dull as dishwater.

Rive Gauche pour Homme Intense by Yves Saint Laurent

Hmmm... A little too 'barbershop' for me. It sure does last all day long, so give it a try before you commit to a bottle. For my money, it's all just too powdery - a patchouli-powered talc-bomb. Not for me.

baubo's avatar

Crypt by The Goth Rosary

This review is based on the solid perfume.
    Dust-dry, a touch of cedar, maybe cypress. There is nothing damp or musty about this; a mainstream company could have easily called it 'Granite' or some such. Suprisingly good sillage and longevity developing to a touch of sweetness. Suitable for m/f, suitable for office wear.

nthny's avatar

En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

At first I wasn't too sure about En Passant, and I'm still not in love with it, but I now really appreciate it for what it is. The first time I smelled it the lilac reminded me of air freshener (don't hate me!) and I realized I must have been in a bad mood and decided to test it again another day. I'm glad I did because it doesn't remind me of air freshener so much anymore and now, right from the beginning I get the impression of dewy lilacs nestled on a plate next to a pile of powdery wedding cookies (a.k.a. snowball cookies - the round, buttery, almondy/nutty ones covered in powdered sugar). There really is an innocence, a simplicity, an alabaster-skinned, rosy-cheeked impression about En Passant. And it's no joke: there really is a doughy note in the fragrance, and it combines with the lilac and cucumber to create this ultra gentle, soft, angel's breath sort of feel. I couldn't decide whether it was beautiful or pretty and so I thus dub it: beautifully pretty.

Cinéma by Yves Saint Laurent

Sweet almond cookies. Oh, and some flowers and resins, too. Lasts, and gets more resiny with time. Not bad, but you may have more luck with Hypnotic Poison (both smell like Play-Dough on me).
    NOTE: I sampled the parfum.

Mat; Chocolat by Masakï Matsushïma

Cocoa in the raw. Upon closer inspection, this is rather complex, another case of an elaborate recipe to make a seemingly straight forward scent. Great for folks who like chocolate scents without smelling like an eight year old. Fun.

Mintea by Masakï Matsushïma

MAT; throws us another fragrance masquerading under a deceptive name. Awful lot of citrus, not so much mint. Dries down to something resembling EdC. Good scent for the squeaky-clean-scent types, and lasted longer than I thought.

mat; Cherry by Masakï Matsushïma

Don't let the cherry embellished bottle fool you here...
    There is a blissful little burst of cherry at the very start,but it disappears into an ozonic, melony, floral nebulosity. Perhaps not the most original, but certainly not unpleasant. Nice for summer. Lasted longer on my skin than I anticipated.

brainpower1972's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Sweet Oriental Dream by Montale

After reading the reviews, I thought Sweet Oriental Dream would be very sweet with a lot of sillage. But on my skin the sweetness is tempered a lot by the smell of nuts. I can smell the rose only in the topnotes. The smell of nuts is there right into the ambery drydown. I sampled it in the winter and found it was not too sweet or overpowering, but it probably will be in warmer weather. I've never smelled nuts as a note in a fragrance before, so this makes Sweet Oriental Dream quite a unique smell for me. I like it and give it a thumbs up, but I won't be buying a bottle of it. It's a good scent, but not the kind of scent that I could pull of.

schumi's avatar

Romania Romania

Eau de Santal by Floris

It instantly became one of my all time favourites. You can't get much better than Floris Santal... This is a glaringly beautiful, utterly refined and highly elegant fragrance. Its warmth and softness, combined with the depth and complexity of its development, place this magnificent cologne in the very restrained world of monumental fragrances.

The bright, invigorating opening burst of bergamot, although absolutely fabulous, doesn't really prefigures the magical follow-up. After a few minutes, the soft, almost delicate mid notes break through. The experience is one in a million... a pure, yet complex sensation of joy, uplift and sophistication enshrouds you in an almost magical mix of emotions. A delicate touch of spices prevent it from becoming cloying. Nothing is too much, nothing is too little, everything is perfectly balanced.

After about two hours, Santal turns into a woody, mossy, ambery, but still creamy and mellow scent. Even at this stage of the development, the fragrance conserves its soft, warm, calming nature. From start to finish, this is mere perfection.

The iconic house of Floris has fulfilled its grandiose reputation... again!

jathanas's avatar

Scent Intense by Costume National

Scent Intense binds with its rich tea opening and holds one captive for the whole ride. As it evolves a sweet floral accord presents but never dominates, this is not a cloying fragrance. The dry woody amber surfaces and stays to the end. It is rich and resinous but it isn't a screamer; it speaks strongly but does not need to shout. Other reviewers mention the word "dark", I get that association.
    So well blended it encapsulates the wearer with an aura of sexy sophistication. That, is what makes this scent unique in my mind and an immediate placing in my top five.
    The longevity and sillage are good, what a find!

reveillee's avatar

M; Men by Masakï Matsushïma

Very nice intial blast of citrus but just doesn't last long on my skin. Almost gone after 30 minutes. A shame b/c it definitely has potential.

SirSlarty's avatar

Cordovan by Banana Republic

What I would call "black" woods and spices with a underlayer of leather. An excellent smelling "skin scent". Not much projection but as you move around during the day it wafts up into your nose and gives you a great feeling of warming comfort. Really nice on clothes, too. An office scent that could be considered a little "sexy" but not overbearing to make your co-workers hold their noses in disgust.

Asha's avatar

Bois Oriental by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Serge Lutens Bois Oriental vs. Shiseido Feminite du Bois

It is rather difficult to wear Bois Oriental and not compare it to its "mother" scent, Feminite du Bois. I am wearing both today, with an eye toward teasing out the differences that Bois Oriental has to offer.

Upon initial application, FdB is immediately violet-woody. In contrast, the violet in Bois Oriental seems to be dramatically attenuated in favor of a fresh soda-like top note. The effect is sort of like lemon-lime soda or tonic water blended with the same waxy, woody cedar base that is used in FdB. Interestingly, the seeming lack of violet makes Bois Oriental seem much softer, less penetrating, less bright. It has a lovely muted quality that allows the woods to take a more central role. As far as the top notes go, this would be an excellent way to enjoy the wonderful FdB base for people who are not crazy about violet. On the down side, the top notes fade much more quickly than in FdB, so the middle stage is very faint and seems to lack the complexity of FdB.

Further into the middle stage, Bois Oriental and Feminite du Bois are closer in character. FdB still seems to have more violet than Bois Oriental, and this violet note gives FdB a feminine, powdery floral quality. Bois Oriental has much less of this powdery note, and seems to have more of a sweet, clean musk or amber note. Drydown comes rapidly with all the Bois fragrances (less than 2 hours and probably closer to 1 hour). In the drydown, Bois Oriental has most of the same notes as FdB--beeswax, cedar, spices--but it is softer and sweeter, probably due to the added musk/amber. The overall effect is much lighter, and at this stage, Bois Oriental is more of a skin scent than FdB. Feminite du Bois eventually catches up, though, and in the deep drydown, the two are nearly indistinguishable. It is the beeswax, wood and light spice that remain at the very end.

Overall, Bois Oriental is more muted, less complex and develops more rapidly than Feminite du Bois. I loved the soda opening and wished it lasted a bit longer--the fizzy quality combined with sweet amber and wood was very refreshing and fun. It makes Bois Oriental seem less serious and heavy than FdB, and probably much better for general daytime, office or warm weather wear. Longevity is extremely poor, and the fragrance wears very close to the skin. FdB is still my preferred fragrance of the Bois series. However, I can see that Bois Oriental has its place, and some may prefer it if the heavy violet from FdB is off-putting.

Glow by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

A pleasant rose and musk fragrance. One of the better celebrity scents.

Vetiver by Guerlain

What I love about Vetiver is that it contradicts itself.
    It opens with a crisp, clean and green citrus, then as it develops, is a wonderfully dirty, earthy, spiced vetiver. No musk - excellent.

Glow after Dark by J.Lo by Jennifer Lopez

Smells exactly like cider apple ice lollies that are sold by the local ice-cream makers. That's a nice smell, but not for a perfume.

Covet Sarah Jessica Parker by Sarah Jessica Parker

I love the lavender top-note. It reminds me of some bath crystals my gran used to keep in her bathroom.
    Chocolate/amber drydown is sufficiently interesting to make it my favourite celebrity fragrance so far.

Notorious by Ralph Lauren

I like Notorious. To me, it's a quiet, modern version of Youth Dew - really retro in style but not quite so cola-bottle-esque. Soft in character, with a pleasant dry woodsy base. It's definitely a grown-ups fragrance, and probably not for a girl in her 20s unless she is wise beyond her years.

snailhorn's avatar

Safran Troublant by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This fragrance starts out with a big red rose note, which is soon joined by spicy-sweet saffron. The two aromas mix beautifully, and stay close enough to the skin not to invoke a headache. Over several hours, a smooth vanilla creeps into the mix, while the rose and then the saffron fade away.

A lighter, sweeter cousin of Le Labo's Rose 31, I like this scent because it says "feminine" and "exotic" without shouting either.

ZeeK's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Complex fragrance? Yes! It is.. A composition that contains almost everything, Citrus, Grass, Floral, Leather, Spices, Woods, Musk, Tobacco but it has emerged a fragrance that is an absolute CLASSIC rose in 1978. It is for a mature wear whether a young mature or an old mature. Very strong at first but dry down is quite pleasant with tobacco, musk and woods. It can be classified as a formal winter fragrance not for a romantic wear in my conclusion and experience as well.

Nukapai's avatar

Citron Citron by Miller Harris

If complex is what you're looking for, don't go looking for it here. If, however, you have always wanted to meet a non-foody, crisp, clean, uplifting, positively anti-nauseating good citrus fragrance, Citron Citron does the job. Completely unisex and perfect when travelling I only wish it came in smaller bottles to put in your pocket when on the move.

I was not impressed by this when I first tried it among a flurry of many other scents (because it seemed thin and a little too basic to warrant such a high price).

However, it was only after I took the sample with me on a long journey that I suddenly "got" this fragrance. It is actually quite difficult to make a citrus scent without the off-notes: one that isn't too synthetic-smelling, too sour or too much like over-ripe, fermenting fruit. This one makes it look easy.

Chestnut's avatar

Bigarade Concentrée by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

My first impression after spraying is a vivid olfactory hallucination of fresh-peeled orange -- the oils in the air like a prism of citrus. It's amazingly uplifting: floral, fresh, green, bitter and sweet. This is a perfect winter scent, and in fact I don't enjoy it (being a northerner who associates oranges with ambient cold) in summer. The fleeting orange peel experience is followed by a beautiful drydown of woods, oriental spice and rose (I don't get the listed hay, but that's probably just my nose). It took me a few years of wearing it -- maybe until getting to the end of the bottle -- to pick up on the cumin but now I do really smell it and could perhaps do with a tiny bit less. Still, this is, to my nose, on the slightly femme side of unisex, though perfectly plausible for a man as well. It's transparent and delicately zingy until it suavely collapses into the pillowy drydown. My only complaint -- and it's major -- is poor lasting power. Very, very poor -- less than 2 hours on me. Still, not an absolute deal breaker, but only because I love orange scents madly and this one is unique.

Grottola's avatar

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

this stuff reminds me of Tommy Bahama for men, a lot. however, it seems a bit sweeter to me. it also has kind of a "minty" effect to it. smells good though, and the tobacco is done well, too. great for fall & winter.