Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

vintage*red's avatar

Armani Code for Women by Giorgio Armani

Initially, a sweet little floral. Ah, the orange blossom! And then something a little TOO sweet happens. While I do not dislike the fragrance (Turin & Sanchez really tore into this one), it is no L'Heure Bleue, the ultimate floral oriental perfume. It is similar to the oriental sweetness of Sacre Bleu but lacks the maturity and smoky incense drydown.I think that Code was an attempt to be all things to all people, and instead it is a little too sweet for mature women and a little too oriental for young women. I give this one a reluctant thumbs up.

Zhara8's avatar

With Love... Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff

What a beautiful bottle, and even the box I received was frilly and fantastic, although I noticed that other versions of it are coming out in less fancy packaging.

However, we're here to talk about the juice inside, and it's taken me a while to put this one together. At first try, I detected no spice, and it came across as a nice melon/fruit floral, with only a very slight hint of annoying aquatic notes taking it into the spa/salon/toiletries realm. The candy note quite pleasant, not overpowering, and not so strong as to make it too girly. My conclusion upon first sampling was that it was a "rich teen" fragrance, smelling richer than it's price tag, but indeed a young fragrance.

Something, however, haunted me. There's a note there that reached for a memory. I couldn't place it, but somehow I *knew* it. After quite a bit of searching, and waiting and sampling With Love again on a different day, it finally hit me:

In the early 1990's, there was popular suntan oil, that despite it's brown plastic bottle and cute palm tree logo, had no noticeable coconut. No coconut at all, and instead was all exotic fruit aromas. The internet thankfully yielded the name in no time: Hawaii Blend Tropical Blend SPF 15.

And THAT is exactly what Hillary Duff With Love heart notes are. A clone of this suntan oil. Must be the mangosteen. Not a bad thing, actually. But definitely curious.

06 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 23 October, 2009)

Sazi's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Romance for Men by Ralph Lauren

Nothing special, not too bad either. Use it when you want to smell fresh but don't wish to stand out.

Noelle-a-Belle's avatar

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

Immediately after spraying,I hardly smell the fruity citrus openings. For me, this fragrance is all about the patchouli and vetiver. I also don't note too much of a dry down; on me this stays pretty much the same the whole time I'm wearing it, and it is extremely long lasting. I own the EDP, so I don't know if the EDT comes across differently. I know that the lotion for this fragrance is a lot fruiter and milder than the EDP. But I love this perfume, it's got the raw patch. note that I love and, as other reviewers have noted, a tad masculine, which I love. This is my #1 choice for evenings (when it's cool out; I have a feeling this could become overwhelming if it were very hot and humid).

Noelle-a-Belle's avatar

Cheap and Chic Hippy Fizz by Moschino

To me, this smells a lot like I Love Love, although it has been about a year since I last tried that perfume. This is another well done citrus, it has a very nice lemon verbana topnote and it's not overpowering at all. If you were looking for a soft, semi-sweet citrus, this would fit the bill nicely. I have the lotion as well as the perfume (sample sizes) and the lotion comes across more fruity/sweet, while the perfume packs more of the lemon. Not much sillage, but a well done fragrance.

's avatar

Gucci No. 3 by Gucci

Gucci III was an excellent, crisp, sour, soapy leather. Not for the meek, it was a fragrant allegory to lemony horse-soap, and saddles! Decadence and social hierarchy was its manifesto... in its little Mussolini-era-architecture-inspired bottle.
    This was the signature fragrance of the bedecked-in-white, fascist-revival class-movement of the 1980s, and quite well-done!
    Atlas shrugged, and he smelled like Gucci III.

06 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 27 February, 2010)

Bartlebooth's avatar

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Welcome to the muscle car of mens fragrances. There are dozens of scents that are more subtle and sophisticated than Polo, but very few that will have the impact. The journey through the pyramid is not an exotic one, but with the big pines and and the general green theme, this is a joy. Fresh smell, sillage, and awesome longevity, not for the heavy applicators.

06 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 June, 2009)

Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana

I like it. Very fresh, like lemon juice when you first put it on. But quickly mellows to a floral-fresh smell that makes me think of the ocean (or maybe that's my brain remembering the marketing pictures). Unlikely to offend anybody. I'm not in love with it, but it's very nice.

Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden

It's nice and fresh, perhaps a little on the too-sweet side, but doesn't last so that's not a problem.
    Not likely to be offensive to anybody in the office.

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

I tried to like this one, the bottle is pretty, and I heard it was like Lovely, which I also wanted to like.
    But they smell overwhelmingly strong to me, like bugspray. I don't know which component is giving
    that bitter smell, I feel there are other notes that are nice, but I had to return it to the store. Glad Sephora
    gave me my money back.

Nina (new) by Nina Ricci

I love it. It is one perfume I can wear with no fear of overdoing it. (Daisy is the other). I can slather on the cream and squirt
    a few squirts with no fear of offending anybody, or myself. It's sweet, soft, fruity but sophisticated; not teenager-ey.
    What is "toffee apple"? Is that like a caramel apple? Or is it the bright shiny red candy kind?
    And the apple bottle is too adorable. I broke the little silver leaf lifting it out of the gift box, and had to glue it, be careful.

Pleasures Delight by Estée Lauder

I enjoy this one. It's just a comforting mellow scent that reminds me of baking, or of a nice candle (not the overwhelming kind.)
    And what a pretty bottle. Tried the other Pleasures, but Pleasures original and Exotic were too sweet and flowery.
    Not likely to offend anybody at work, or on a Saturday when you just want to enjoy the smell while you run your errands.

Love and Luck for Women by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

I tried it at the store but didn't buy, it was a bit too fruity for me, but not unpleasant if you like that.
    The bottle is gorgeous and unique

gerardmarkjohnson's avatar

Banana Republic Classic by Banana Republic

Starts off with a lot of citrus, dries down to an inoffensive clean, soapy character. A bit too bland and 'officey' for my taste, but there's worse things to smell of than soapy cleanness, so I thought I'd give it a go for a few days...

But, every time I wore it, I started to develop a headache after about half an hour. There's clearly something in it that I react to badly, so this is going to the back of the cupboard, never to be worn again. Perhaps I can pass it on to some less sensitive family member. Thumbs down, because blandness and headache-causing is a bad combination in my book.

gerardmarkjohnson's avatar

Rykiel Homme by Sonia Rykiel

I really like this. Sweet grapefruit early on, then the middle reminds me strongly of YSL Jazz, which I used to wear a lot in my first job. I think it's better than Jazz though, certainly more modern but still with a generous helping of 80's nostalgia. It ends up as a perfectly accepable male woody smell - after half an hour I mostly get sandalwood from it. It's quite powerful and long lasting: I like that about it because I often find modern fragrances too evanescent, but others might find it overpowering.

Promethea's avatar

L'Air de Rien by Miller Harris

I adore this - so unusual a scent. Incense-y and hay like and very very sexy. Not just because of the Jane Birkin connection but if the London of the 1960s could have a smell, this is exactly what I would imagine it being like.

Fragrance Lover's avatar

Ex'cla.ma'tion by Coty

Really like this fragrance although I hate the cheap packaging even though it goes with the name, then again it is a cheap as chips fragrance!! When I wear this I always get positive comments people will tell me I smell nice and they are right it is a lovely scent and has great staying power that a lot of more expensive scents dont always have.

Fragrance Lover's avatar

Baby Doll Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

I am a big fan of this t but to me it is more of a daytime scent rather than a sexy evening perfume.

orendrew8998's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

Olichnyy aroma! To my regret becomes very rare, find nearly impossible. Here is for past week has seen the miniature and has bought. Splendid шипрово-floral aroma with noble dusty colouration.

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

I never had so many people ask what fragrance I was wearing.

This was/is fantastic!!!!

Oleg Cassini for Women by Oleg Cassini

My mother gave this to me and it really started me on my love affair with scents and mood.

Index Pear Cassis by Fresh

I stumbled onto to this fragrance and just loved it!! I am very sensitive to various types of perfumes because of a skin condition and this did not aggravate it at all.

The scent was light fresh-not heavy at all. I wanted to make it my year 'round scent but sadly they stopped producing this so the search for a fragrance(s) is on.

Sazi's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Unforgivable by Sean John

Not a bad attempt by Diddy. Doesn't last too long on me and I find it a little too expensive though.

06 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 06 November, 2011)

Perfume_Addict's avatar

Jasmin Noir by Bulgari

I like the top and heart note in this - I do get the "Jasmin" of Jasmin Noir, and actually perceived Joy-like floral notes during the first 45 minutes of wearing. The green sap note and gardenia in the top are nice as well. The problem I have with this is the same one I have with Blv Notte: Bvlgari has apparently started using an artificial sandalwood that turns to sour and acrid on my skin after a couple of hours. Lets just hope they don't reformulate the Bvlgari's I love (Femme, Eau Parfumee, Black) with this same ingredient.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice by Guerlain

A seasonal wonder! This is one time the note pyramid can be trusted...if you imagine (in your olfactory memory) each of the listed notes you will practically know the smell of this fragrance! It is like mikeperez23 has said ~ ...feels like Christmas in a bottle!

gupts's avatar

India India

Arcus by Amouage

The moment you spray it, it reminds you of Acqua Di Gio and then in about 5 minutes it transforms into something green. Then the salt appears that does remind you of Erolfa. The dry down is unmistakenly the same as that of 'Halston Catalyst' which in any case is very similar to ADG.

It does not warrant such a high price because it's fairly average and smells like a lot of other much cheaper colognes.

tnamey's avatar

Royal English Leather by Creed

Creed REL is the "cream" of leather scents. While I prefer Knize Ten, the differences between the two is substantial and each has its specific fine qualities. Knize, a prior review says "is raw teutonic" leather. REL by creed is clearly sumptuous and opens with mandarin, powder and floral scents. For the first few minutes it is two sweet for me. Afterwards, the sweetness dissipates, and a drier, mandarin powder leather scent emerges, as if Knize had mixed in. I consider this an evening scent, very long-lasting, and a little more sensual (no-a lot more) than it's Knize brother. I agree that is is clearly one of finest scents ever made. It has clearly withstood father time. In this sense it is ageless. I give this fragrance two arms up. One comment I have, not previously made. I can see some androgeny is this frag, and the right woman can pull this off!

Heartwood's avatar

Kelly Calèche by Hermès

This reminds me of the damp, sparkling floral notes of Gucci Envy rendered more sheer and set atop leather. The leather really comes forward on me, and while many comment on this as a summer fragrance (which Envy is to me), I think the leather makes it a winning scent for winter as well. In cooler months, I tend to wear deep, resinous, rich scents. But that can get monotonous, and this feels stunning on those bright, crisp, cloudless days when you can feel the sun on your face, yet still need a heavy jacket. It's an unusual combination at first (buttery leather and airy florals), but I quickly came to love it.

mnaonbn's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

It does indeed smell (partly and only momentarily) like lipstick, makeup, the bottom of a purse, crayons, pencils, and the many other amusing adjectives used below. I've actually been searching for such a fragrance--I know it's odd but I really like the smell of lipstick. Anyway, the problem with this frag is that once the initial lipstick quality is gone, the frag becomes evocative of licorice, which I know is not in the composition. Anyway, I can't stand the smell of licorice--if nausea (not vomit but nausea) had an odor, I think licorice would be it. Bottom line: It does smell like lipstick but only partly and for a few minutes; then it smells like licorice, which makes me think of nausea and an old woman. My search for a fantastic lipstick frag continues.

nthny's avatar

Dans Tes Bras by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

If anyone has read my reviews before they know I don't generally take them lightly, but... this smells like green Palmolive. As a matter of fact, it doesn't smell exactly like Palmolive, but rather, it smells like Palmolive if it were made into an Eau d'Parfum. And to be even more accurate, it smells like my hands do AFTER I've washed the dishes with Palmolive, not exactly the dish soap itself. I'm sure I'll not be winning any points in the "most reliable reviews" category with this one but I have tried for two weeks to shake this sensation and every time I wear it I'm like, "yeah... that's Palmolive." When I bury my nose to my skin I'm able to detect the other ingredients, especially the soft heliotrope, but any poetic waxings that the fragrance might whisper to me are covered in a green, viscous gel. But since Palmolive doesn't smell BAD and because I'm sure I'm missing something here, neutral it is.

07 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 August, 2009)