Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

distortech's avatar

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

Glorious! I Elegant and classy, simply wonderful.

*sam**'s avatar

Hungary Hungary

Miss Dior Chérie (original) by Christian Dior

Miss Dior Cherie is my signiture scent. When I wear it, I feel like a "petite parisienne". Elegant yet playful, innocent yet sexy. I think it is modern romantisicm. Like a little black dress with powder rose accessories, and a sexy high heel black suede boot.
    On me it develops into a powdery, a bit creamy not too sweet fragrance. Just a little note: I wear edp. (Edt is fresher, with more citrusy head notes, good for summer).

azbe's avatar

Spain Spain

Angel Schlesser Essential for Men by Angel Schlesser

I think it is a very good fragance, with longevity and a special touch. I recommend it for men between 25-40.

lizzie_j's avatar

Manakara by Indult

If Manakara the fragrance was a single fruit, I imagine it would be thin skinned and a rich royal purple, with a fragrant vanilla custard pulp and tiny orange seeds. It would grow on an aromatic blonde-wooded tree or bush and have thick, dark green and waxy leaves that had only a hint of fragrance. And this plant would preferentially grown near rose bushes. This mythical vegetation persists in my imagination whenever I wear Manakara. It's sweet, wet, and luscious one minute, and soft, velvety and dry the next. A beautiful and unusual fragrance, with moderate longevity and sillage. Yes, it is quite spendy but to me it's worth the cost.

tanto's avatar

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

I liked this when it was first introduced at Macy's (NYC) in 1989. I wore it a few times then for some reason I started to dislike it very much. Perhaps because it is so synthetic. To this day, whenever I come across it at a discount store, it turns my stomach.

cutypi's avatar

Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

This fragrance is one of my absolute favorites. It starts off sweet with top notes of rose, honey, violet and lavender. The basenotes are cardamom and vetiver. The dry can come across a bit synthetic, but as it sets the notes come back together and serve up the experience of kissing in a rose garden.

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

Romance by Ralph Lauren

It is a nice clean floral but it is an "oridinary" fragrance to me. Romance is a feminine fragrance but it is missing something...the notes stay the same and it is one demensional (at least on me). I wear it on occasion but it is not my first choice. It strong at first but doesn't last very long on my skin, about 20 minutes and then a very faint trail of the perfume remains. For me it's neutral because it's nice but nothing special.

arcady59's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

This is my first Creed, it smells absolutely fantastic. I was torn between this and SMW, but this one ultimately won out. I will probably go back for the other anyway, impulsively, but I really like this scent.

dyLO's avatar

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

A very clean scent, very masculine. Sort of a watery / woody smell, with some spicy top notes. It's pretty expensive though, but the price has come down since it first came out. Still not worth $70 for 3.4oz for me, but that's up for you to decide.

mchoi76's avatar

South Korea South Korea

Miracle Homme by Lancôme

Never let your mother give you a fragrance as a gift...

There's nothing about this one that really stands out, IMO. I was hoping to smell the coffee note more, as it's one of my favorite beverages, but I didn't really notice it.

mchoi76's avatar

South Korea South Korea

Black by Kenneth Cole

I have to preface my review by saying that I love Kenneth Cole's clothing line.

Having said that, I bought a bottle of KC Black mainly due to my love of Kenneth Cole (and before a real interest in fragrances kicked in). I have to agree with others that have mentioned the synthetic nature. Starts off with a blast of peppery mint then drys down to a heavy tobacco smelling base. Longevity is really good as a couple of sprays last all day.

I wanted to love this one, but it gives me a headache unfortunately.

Sunnyfunny's avatar

No. 5 by Chanel

Ah Chanel No. 5...I so much wanted to hate this, to just pan it, give it a great big thumbs down. Chanel is just so boring. I knew this fragrance wouldn't suit me from the get go, knew this innately before I ever even smelled it. Ergo, this is my first review of something I sampled that I knew just had no possibility of ever being in my wardrobe.
    I brought a decant of EdP home last night, and as my husband and I smelled it straight from the vial, we were both reminded of every octogenarian's home we'd ever been in.
    I applied it to my skin for the first time this morning.
    I'll start by mentioning the aldehydes, which I actually kind of like. They're kind of cool and interesting, and I was disappointed when they left and their replacements gave me a headache for half an hour. Even so, this headache-inducing middle is pretty. There's this thing I couldn't put my finger on, kept sniffing my wrist trying to get it and irritated that it was eluding me, when it hit me-- soap. Just like everyone else got. Not bad soap, but soap, nonetheless. Why? Why does this legendary, classic, timeless work of art in a bottle smell like soap??!? Please.
    It lasted two and a half hours at best on my skin, but I can't say I hated it. It was fine. Headache not withstanding, it is pleasant and pretty. Second application of the day conjures up that pink Johnson & Johnson baby lotion. Nice, clean, unobtrusive, uninteresting. And I have to ask-- if it wasn't Chanel, would anyone care?

Sunnyfunny's avatar

Chance by Chanel

I love this rebel child of the Chanel fragrance family!  Chance was the first fragrance my husband ever bought me and I have worn it for almost five years, but have not been inspired enough to write about it.  Until today.  I was at the Chanel counter waiting for the gal to make me a decant of No. 5 (which I'd never tried) and smelling the different scents-- No. 5, Allure, Coco in their various incarnations...then I picked up the tester of Chance.
    WOW!!! If I didn't know any better, if the bottle didn't CLEARLY state otherwise, I'd have thought it misplaced. It was a rough, sharp staccato of a fragrance next to all that warm, classic, blended creaminess. And so I now have a brand new appreciation for this Chance I knew I liked for some reason. Chance has broken free the mold and managed to be edgy despite its parentage.
    Oh, and now that I have had an encounter with the ever-so-timeless classic...I bet if you like Chance you aren't crazy about No. 5. Just a hunch.

c shore's avatar

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The opening of this delightful scent, smells just like clove cigarettes that were so popular in the sixties (the last century) jazz club in the Los Angeles, California area. After about an hour it dries down to a milky Chai scent that I LOVE!!!!

07 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2009)

c shore's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Ouarzazate by Comme des Garçons

Hot, muted incense herbal sage with a sweet spicy note running through it. Smells jut like an afternoon hike in Sedona, Arizona

07 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2009)

karisuma's avatar

Avatar by Coty

Smells exactly like Aspen (also made by Coty), but lighter and shorter-lasting. Both can be found for under $10; I'd go with Aspen.

abc1234's avatar

Havana by Aramis

Majestic, warm, classy. Smells very expensive. It has the depth and volume of a sophisticated modern man without being cheesily too sweet/aqua/citric etc.

The Best!!!

bosati05's avatar

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

I Got some for Christmas. Let's just say it wasn't a good christmas.

Brit by Burberry

I kind of liked the powdery and soft scent when I fist got it. And I must say I wore it for quite a while. It was nice to have a more conservative perfume for everyday occasions.
    Although I did get bored of it very easily. It is definitely missing the depth that gives it a interesting character.
    And after reading the comment about the baby nappies, I admit I like it even less...

Wild Wind by Gabriela Sabatini

This one used to be my favorite for quite some time... Imagine some flours and green scents blended with amber and vanilla. It makes it fresh, natural yet sweet and feminine fragrance, definitely very unique.
    I am missing the topnotes though, it's got quite some depth but in the upper area it is quite dull. Eventually the fade even more and the heavy amber and vanilla take over.
    On the other hand for everyday ware it might be just right since it is not too fancy and not too flashy.
    I did not get tired of it for a long time but now I must say, I think I have...

Royal Water by Creed

Wow! I love this one!
    This is going to be in my collection for quite some time! I fell in love with the beautiful citrus scents and the well blended background. It's very fresh, young and sophisticated... "Royal" says it all... it is the one and only word to describe it.
    At first I thought it was way too masculine but after I wore it for one or two ours it became a fragrance that could not have been any better!

Cinéma by Yves Saint Laurent

Glamorous!
    It smells expensive and sophisticated, a little old fashioned but still modern and light mixed with lots of vanilla. To be honest if you do not love vanilla you are not going to like it.
    Be warned though it is very strong and dominant! I would only wear it for a night out... and preferably not in summer.

Dior Addict 2 by Christian Dior

Fresh and summery but still not too fruity or sweet... not very floral either. There is definitely a mysterious and sexy site to it without it getting too heavy, meaning it keeps the youthful and fresh character as well.
    All in all a very good fragrance although it still did not make it into my alltime top favorites...

Hypnôse by Lancôme

Very beautiful, very unique and interesting.
    Do not expect anything floral though since the scents are very well blended you will not get that dominant floral note.
    A spicy winter fragrance but a little too much for summer days.

No. 18 by Chanel

I am turned off by myself...
    I wore Chanel No 18 for a whole day after I couldn't decide whether I like it or hate it just by swatches and I did not want to be blinded by the fact that it is Chanel and therefore has to be good.
    Now I am very certain I do not like it at all! When first putting it on there is that sour scent that is often described as fresh green or olive. I must say it has a freshness to it that is not bad in the beginning. I am not exactly a fan of sour fragrances but still gave it a chance as I was told that the sourness would fade after some time.
    Sadly it did not. All that faded was the fresh scent so the sour one was even more dominant. There were other base and middlenotes but I could not figure them out since that one scent stood out that much.
    Still there is one positive feature. This smell is definitely very unique! I would recognize it between a thousand. I cannot familiarize it with anything I have smelled before, especially the sour note, I guess there is nothing to describe it by than Chanel No 18. I only wanted a fragrance like that but now I was to find out that unfortunately this does not mean that the smell is any good.

Ma Dame by Jean Paul Gaultier

I have never smelt a perfume that disgusting!
    I am sorry to be that negative and I am usually not that sensitive with fragrances but after smelling this on me I had to run to wash it away and still felt sick afterwards.
    It smells like a mix between baby powder and cream and very very dominant flours... oh yes there was citrus too and probably a thousand other things that did not make it any better. I agree with the fact that it smelled definitely synthetic...
    Fact is I did not like it on myself and I would certainly not like it on anybody else either.

Perfumista29's avatar

Aomassaï 10 by Parfumerie Generale

When I put this on, I immediately thought of reading a book in a cozy home library, wearing a rich robe and fuzzy slippers. The perfume immediately engendered a "comfort" feeling for me. At first, the initial smell was a bit too sweet (even for me and I am generally a huge fan of sweeter gourmands) but the drydown just made me fall in love. It brought back memories of walking through the crisp fall leaves in damp weather, smelling the smoke from chimneys and the smell of hot chocolate wafting through the air. An amazing perfume.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Original Santal by Creed

This is a good offering from Creed, but not a great one. It is warm,fragrant and earthy, but it does not excite me enough to warrant the necessary outlay to own this. The rosemary and lavender combination ensure that there is a little bite behind the sweet accord. I tried this in the middle of winter, and I can well imagine this repsonding well to warmer weather. I did like the fact that you get to the midldle notes very quickly, which could be a distinct advantage on certain occasions. I will only pay Creed prices for something outstanding, so i doubt I will ever own this.

07 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 06 December, 2012)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Ambre Fétiche by Annick Goutal

Ambre Fetiche is a very warm strong masculine fragrance that is wearable and mesmerizing from the opening. There is a very dark birch tar leather in the opening supported by frankincense and in the distance is a warm echo of amber. The sweetness of the amber is completely hidden by the birch tar "fetish" of this amber based scent. The only similar opening I have tired is Kolnisch Juchten by Regence which is very similar in its dark leather opening. As the scent wears down in 4 or 5 hours the amber is now emerging as the last note standing with dry warmth that stays for a remarkably long time. The evolution from dark leather to pure amber is a long one, but the difference in fragrance development is dramatic from the opening to drydown some 7 - 8 hours later.

08 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 24 November, 2009)

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Dans Tes Bras by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Understanding that the inspiration for this perfume was clean skin helps to accept the opening scnet which does indeed smell of moist air rising from clean skin. There is a slight aldehyde scent which blends with body warmth odor that has a musty scent that adds an elder depth to the scent. But as the fragrance dries down the light florals mixed with delicate blend of sandalwood and patchouli enhances the clean almost soap like freshness. It smells very modern and fresh in the lineage of Gendarme but with more musty skin notes and is also similar to Puro Lino but with lighter florals and more clean soapiness. I think this might be my new favorite clean, fresh but neutral warm weather scent. This fragrance is not easy to love at first sniff, but as it dries it stays fresh and perky without losing its human touch. I like it for its subtlety and common freshness.

08 January, 2009