Fragrance Reviews from January 2009

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

Does anyone remember Flex Balsam & Protein hair shampoo and conditioner from the 70's? Strangely, this L'Air du Desert Marocain reminds me of Flex! From Tauer's lovely creation I smell incense, and balsam, and vanilla. Dry woods in the base. I can understand the wonder of this gem, but for my own taste ~ it is not particularly wearable. I do find it leans more toward the masculine. If it's incense I'm craving, I'm more likely to reach for Juozas Statkvicius that offers up some jasmine in the mix.

ubuandibeme's avatar
    ubuandibeme

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

JPG has given us the first male contraceptive. I swear, I wouldn't be able to stand within ten feet of any man wearing this fragrance, it's THAT bad. Nasty.

Francois Blais's avatar
    Francois Blais

Habanita by Molinard

To my nose, this is the model upon which Jaïpur pour homme has been created.
    Jaïpur is spicier and habanita fruitier, but I feel they share a lot of similarities, and the same structure and feeling.
    Kudos!

mnaonbn's avatar
    mnaonbn

Royal Water by Creed

I am BAFFLED by some of the descriptions below, good or bad. All I can do in response is to offer my own review: Royal Water is precisely that. If sparkling diamonds and platinum were made into a fragrance, this would be it! As the bottle's frosted glass, chrome trim, and clear crystal cap seem to convey, the fragrance is clean, crisp, powdery, sparkling, refined, elegant, and luxurious. Yet, the versatility of this fragrance is amazing as well. Worn by a man or woman, day or night, formal or informal, indoor or outdoor, spring, summer, fall, or winter, it simply works. It has become my favorite, my delight, my signature fragrance. It simply reeks of money!

08 January, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 August, 2009)

Oaksbluff's avatar
    Oaksbluff

Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Iris, most elegant, wearing evening clothing of the finest cut and material, hands scented with cinnamon, kneels in the garden, where black damp earth and soil-flecked carrots rub together upon her.
    Sublime. A must try. The smell of twilight.

nthny's avatar
    nthny

Rose 31 by Le Labo

I really like Rose 31! It starts with what I perceive as a mouth watering, juicy rose accord followed by a spoonfull of incense, wood, and pepper that reminds me of the same combination's impressions in fragrances like CdG 2MAN and Escentric Molecules Escentric 01, though its use here is much more sparing and certainly not as aggressive as it is in the CdG. While cumin can often come across as unwashed or sweaty (as can gaiac wood and cedar wood notes on my skin as well) the ratio of cumin to rose creates a rather tame cumin impression which to my nose really contributes more to the woody, incense-y gaiac/cedar/cistus spoonful impression rather than creating its own impact.

This is an extremely versatile fragrance, one that puts a smile on my face. Though some find it dark, animalic and a little dirty, I don't experience it that way so much. It seems casual -- a fragrance one might reach for several times a week. It's interesting, certainly, but in no way challenging or persnickety. Rose 31 bursts to life in warm weather, highlighting the spicy, woody, tiny bit dirty sly grin elements as well. Many many thumbs up.

distortech's avatar
    distortech

Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice by Guerlain

One of the best of the Aqua Allegoria line. Completely different from all the others. In one word, magnificent.

eRL00p's avatar
    eRL00p

cK one Summer by Calvin Klein

I picked this up about a month ago. It smells VERY similar to ck one electric, only this one is more sharp and crisp, whereas electric is more sweet and watery.
    The drydown makes it a little feminine for a guy to wear :/ but I still enjoy it from time to time. Its powerful, which is great, because it will last even longer :)

i bought electric when it came out, but ended up giving it to my gf bc of negative comments from others "are you wearing perfume??." This one has a nice twist, and it reminds me of my girl so I like to wear it. It is a great scent to compliment ck one electric ^-^

another note: this one is very different from the other ck one summers'. very nice addition to my collection.

reveillee's avatar
    reveillee

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

The drydown is the closest to a masterpiece that I've ever smelled. An elegant orange wood.

alotofscents's avatar
    alotofscents

Versace by Versace

At first I thought the opening smelled too much like black current jam. But more and more was pulled into it's feminine, garden-like, pretty scent with the woody, musky drydown. I love it now. It is easily my second or third favorite scent. I have even grown addicted to the black current opening. And the wisteria is divine!

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Enemy / Ennemi by Nickel

Finally figured this one out. I really dislike it. It's like Zirh's Ikon (incidentally also a skin care company) but more woody, unnatural and a HUGE dose of unpleasant herbals and I swear cumin. Gently kicking me in the nose is what this is about!

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Roadster by Cartier

There are times I dislike mint, but this mint in the opening is well worth the wait to let it pass. It goes into a wonderful white woods, labdanum and a husky green accord. It reminds me a lot of the new Guerlain Homme just without a floral heart. The wood drydown lasts quite a while and the entire fragrance is a good cruise for wearing all day. Good stuff.

journeyman's avatar
    journeyman

Vetiver by Guerlain

A recent 're-discovery' (after having an unpleasant time with the Aftershave version previously).

Nothing makes me want to sniff my wrist so much as GV currently seems to.

The initial bone-dry Citrus blast, woody middle notes and that Earthy drydown, with a noticable tobacco - a dried tobacco leaf - pipe tobacco even - note. But it is not overpowering. At least not in the EDT (2000 formulation)
    There is a powdery, almost talc-ish note that lasts throughout.
    if you are sensitive to that note, it will be noticible, and I'd guess if you are not fond of that dry, but still sweet aspect, then it may not be of your liking. I love it.

Currently my 'new' everyday Fragrance.
    Its all been said before - not much i can add. Just wanted to give it a thumbs up.

I did however have a bottle of the Aftershave previously. Oh dear..
    The tobacco note seemed more prominent, and dried to a dreadful stale Body Odor stink on my skin at least..
    was vert pungent for an Aftershave also. It may actually be to someones taste as an alternative. its definitely different. But not for me.

So my thumbs up (two if I could) goes to the GV EDT

Larwiz's avatar
    Larwiz

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

This one I don't get. It smells like spray starch to me. I really don't get it. Maybe I haven't given it enough time to dry down?

Luctor et Emergo by People of the Labyrinths

This is my Desert Island frag. If I could have only one, it would be Luctor et Emergo. I know that many people get Play Doh from this frag, and while I do get a whiff, it certainly isn't the first thing that springs to mind. It's darkly resinous and soft. Sticky preserved cherries and almonds. Dark wooden flooring and cello music playing in a distant room while you read a book during a snowstorm. It's difficult for me not to sink into flowery language talking about this one! Comparisons to different Loukhoum frags confuse me a little - this is slightly gourmand but nowhere near the sweetness and in-your-faceness of, for example, Keiko Mecheri's Loukhoum - it's much drier, with some quiet, mysterious spiciness in there. If this frag were a solid, I'd have a hard time resisting eating it. Or at least getting naked and rolling around in it.

Mazzolari Alessandro by Mazzolari

Oh. My. God. This is pure, unadulterated, absolute perfection in a bottle. As with Lea St Barth it needs to be on the skin for 5+ minutes for the slight bitterness of the almond (I think?) note to burn off - don't let this put you off. Luckyscent has recommendations on the bottom of their individual frag pages and at the bottom of the Alessandro page it lists Lea St Barth, PotL Luctor et Emergo and Profumum Confetto. PotL and Lea are in my top 3 ever frags so it's no surprise Alessandro is doing it for me in a huge way. It almost smells like a combo of the 2, with a nice soft touch of grown-up baby powder (if you believe in such a thing) thrown in. The baby powder note lessens considerably with the drydown but I don't mind it when it's stronger, either. This frag moved instantly to the top of my FB list the first time I tried it. One of the best comfort scents I've ever smelled. Quiet, soft, lush, sexy in a not-forward way. Looooove. Sillage not great and lasted about 5 hours. Wears close to the skin on me.

Ipanéma by Satellite

I just barely ordered a sample of this and for some reason reckoned I probably wouldn't like it but it is lovely! Maybe it was the bright turquoise colour but I was expecting something that was possibly too sharp/loud/citrus-y and it's turned out to be a beautifully balanced soft tropical. Some might not even call it a tropical depending on how prominent the coconut is on them. I'd maybe classify it as a marine tropical? This is a nicer, more complex frag than Creed VIW (which I like and appreciate for what it is) imo. No one note stands out and the coconut is perfectly done - not too fruity or sweet. Drydown is white floral with quiet vanilla and some very subtle 'oceanic' notes. Ipanema is a soft, whispery, dream-of-the-tropics frag and I love it. It wears close to the skin and the lasting power is not great.

A La Figue! by Satellite

Love it. Also, the first fig frag I've ever liked, tho I've only tried about 3 others; they always come off too earthy for my tastes. Premier Figuer was almost a scrubber on me. This reminds me of the Satellite Ipanema scent in that it is subtle and very well blended. The fig is there as the prominent note but it is measured and perfected by a not-to-sweet vanillic creaminess and a little extremely subtle florality. The creamy note really, really makes this for me. The drydown is very similiar, just softer, and the vanilla never becomes boring/cloying. I highly recommend this one, especially to others who may have found some fig scents too harsh in the past. Gorgeous. Wears close to the skin and has average staying power.

soirdelune's avatar
    soirdelune

Gardénia by Chanel

Chanel's Gardénia has to be the most 'creative' scent approximation of this flower, given that it bears no resemblance to it, whatsoever. In the main, this reminds me of a dilute of Poison, which quickly softens to take on a slightly cardboardy accord. It is very linear, remaining constant for the first two-thirds of its (very short) life, before settling into a sweet, unremarkable, flowery base. I regret to say that I am pretty underwhelmed by this scent, though this perhaps says more about the overall high quality of the Les Exclusifs line, of which Gardénia (to my mind) is probably the least successful. I am chastened, and somewhat surprised, to see that this is a Beaux creation, as I rate his perfumery skills extremely highly.

soirdelune's avatar
    soirdelune

Bel Respiro by Chanel

Bel Respiro is quite enchanting; at once soft and sprightly, and sufficiently green to be not too floral (for me). As an afficionado of No.19, Bel Respiro is an excellent complement. It is also superbly blended -- I don't know how Chanel maintains this quality (generally) across the Les Exclusifs line. Only concern is that, just 30 minutes post-application, it is losing strength at a galloping speed. Deliciously lovely, though.

Private Collection by Estée Lauder

Being an obsessive lover of green chypres, I hunted this one down today and tried it. First spritz "Eureka"! Unabashedly green, green, green and not in a citrus way. More leaves and swamp funk. I was in heaven and a bought a bottle on the spot. Tres stupide! Will I never learn? Two hours later the heady opening had grabbed its passport and left the continent. What was left was a thin spicy trail remeniscent of a diluted Youth Dew - my dreaded nemesis!! GRRRRR! My bottle goes back tomorrow to be replaced by the large size Knowing - things could be worse. So far I would have to say, if you possess Miss Dior, you really don't need Private Collection. Miss Dior goes on brighter and more fiercely, this attention getting stage lasts long enough to be satisfying and the resulting delicate spice drydown is artfully interlaced with rose, very sophisticated, long lasting and great sillage. Sorry Estee, I still love you for your other offerings. . . .

Knowing by Estée Lauder

Oh my God, how did I miss this one? This is a rich, deep long lasting uber feminine fragrance that is enticing and refined at the same time. Very rich and mellow with good lasting power. Very strong as with all Lauders, but the strength and sillage are easily controlled by applying lightly. If I had passed someone wearing this I would have stropped to ask what it was. I hope they never discontinue because I will buy this foreverrrrrr! Just a note, I think the jasmine is what pulls this all together in such a silky purring way, it is done just magnificently. As we all know jasmine can be amazing or hideous. Estee Lauder has blended a masterpiece!

Oriental Flowers by Montale

This is gorgeous and I haven't smelled anything like it so far (and I have a LOT of samples being a fragrance addict!). I won't try to pick out the notes, not good at it, but I will try to describe. This is strong, not for the faint of heart, overtly feminine and rich. I suppose it is floral, yet it is something more and not spicy either. There is a dryness to it (powder perhaps?) It has absolutely phenomenal lasting power even after 12 hours and my skin usually kills scents. The drydown is amazing, very complex and soft, but tenacious. I don't reach for this everyday, but can't imagine not having it. Liked it enough to buy the 100 ml. Layers nicely with Patchouli Leaves. Takes it from ethereal to more earthly. Just love Montale and own 5 100 mls of their scents and several large decants. The only other perfumer I like that much is Dior and mostly for their classics. Oriental Flowers is not getting much attention and that is a pity because in my opinion, it is a masterpiece and very unique. I wish I could give it 10 Thumbs WAY up. (I think I just may have) sneaky!

perfaddict's avatar
    perfaddict
    Nigeria Nigeria

L'Eau du Navigateur by L'Artisan Parfumeur

L'Eau de Navagateur! Spices. Blond tobacco. Coffee beans freshly ground. A blind 100ml buy, but one i will always be grateful for.This is a scent i have always imagined in my mind for a while. I thought i found it in Dior's Eau Noir, but L'Eau de Navagateur is IT. Its like a holy grail discovered. Deep, dark, always making its presence felt, but not overpowering. good sillage and reasonble longevity. I will always treasure this. Many thumbs way way up!

telegramrome's avatar
    telegramrome

Palazzo by Fendi

Decidely different, if that is what you're seeking. The orange blossom is done in a decidely different way than others on the market, which is refreshing to some degree. However, Palazzo (to me and on me) was nothing special. I did pick up on some shared notes to Angel by Thierry Muglier like other reviewers...but more apparent to my nose was Palazzo's striking similarity to Avon's Skin So Soft skin oil.

OctoberAmy's avatar
    OctoberAmy

B Spot by Benefit

My husband came with me one night to sniff all the perfumes at Macys. He didn't care for the ones I had. He left no perfume unsniffed..even went to every cosmetic counter and tried the ones from EA, EL and so on. This is the only one he kind of liked. I thought it was nice and unoffensive, just a demure floral. I'll probably get some.

Striven82's avatar
    Striven82

Design by Paul Sebastian

Not good. Imagine having a whole can of bug-spray explode inside a compact car. I bought a tester for my GF. She'll wear dollar store perfume, but she won't wear Design. Please avoid.

Striven82's avatar
    Striven82

Alessandro Dell'Acqua Man by Alessandro Dell'Acqua

I am just beginning my journey into the magnificant realm of fragrances, but this one has to be my favorite so far. It smells very fresh with notes of citrus and marine drying down to aqua, pepper and woods. It is mostly a summer fragrance. This one lasts at least 8 hours on my skin. I drive a motorcycle in the summertime. If I use 2 sprays before I leave my house, by the time I get off the bike, the scent is perfect. This is my warm weather scent. I'm sure there are better citrus/aquatics out there to be found. I just really like this one.

8.5/10

abc1234's avatar
    abc1234

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Two Thumbs Up !!!!

This is a modern classic. Very sophisticated, complex, but still has a young lively spirit built in to it. It is fresh and depth, a combination works wonderfully. It is great to wear to work and other occasions as well.

Good job Hermes!

Draco's avatar
    Draco

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

Very smooth grape fruit/citrus scent...the drydown is amazing. The longevity is mind-blowing, I could still smell it on my shirt 24 hours after applying! I would say BPH extreme is an extremely elegant scent and is perfect for day-to-day office wear. Also pretty cheap too to buy online :)